[Q] Is the HTC JetStream locked only for AT&T

Search This thread

kailashpchhabria

Dec 4, 2011
Bangalore
Hello Everyone,

I have a Jetstream ATT which I rooted with developer d00mlord's stuff. Recently I decided to unlock it from the ATT network. The unlock code says unlock successful, but after rebooting it comes back up with the same locked screen. This will happen over and over again. This is happening with an ATT sim card too, so that I cannot use the data features with anything but wifi. The company who provided the unlock code tells me it may be due to the tablet having been rooted, and that I will need to factory reset everything. So, I am hoping that someone might be able to tell me what I should do. I have noticed that this thread addresses the sim unlock first and then a root afterwards, but not the other way around. I cannot seem to find a thread that is more relevant. This is my first posting and I am brand n00b so thank you very much for even reading this over.

Would the lockscreen be a screen that asks for you to input a code when you try to unlock the device? Or is it something else? I had removed the ATT sim and inserted another one, after doing so, I was asked for a code to unlock my device - which is when I input the unlock code that was provided to me from a 3rd party. If you are trying to do it from the settings menu, I am not sure it will work as I had tried that too.

Also, seeing now that in the US, sim-unlocking is illegal, I don't know if the company that provided you with the unlock code would have access to the code because of what I understood the process, they access a database off the HTC Server or something and provide us with the code. Check with them about this.

Lastly, about un-rooting and trying, I had 1st sim-unlocked my tablet and then rooted. Not sure that doing it the other way around would make a difference seeing as the 2 are completely different components. If however, you wish to try sim-unlocking 1st, then you will need to 1st lock your bootloader and then try the sim unlock code. To lock the bootloader, you will need it connected in fastboot mode to the computer and will need to run the code fastboot oem lock and then try the sim unlock. Detailed instructions for this can be found on the htcdev.com website. You can use the same unlock token you would have used previously from htcdev.com to re-unlock your bootloader. However, I don't see any way in which this will make a difference. I suggest you try the 1st 2 options 1st. If after that the problem persists, then try a complete wipe and factory reset and try again before you lock-unlock the bootloader.

Reactions: sjlewis

sjlewis

Feb 28, 2013
Portsmouth
Thank you for the response! By locked I mean locked to the network. Not an apn issue. I should explain this by saying that the tablet is treating any Sim, even my att tablet Sim as foreign. When I enter the unlock code it says accepted, but upon rebooting it acts as if it was never unlocked bringing up the locked screen again.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

Thank you for the replies. I will try the bootloader option. Thank you for the help. Will let you know if it works.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using xda app-developers app

sjlewis

Feb 28, 2013
Portsmouth
Warning - best to sim unlock before rooting

Would the lockscreen be a screen that asks for you to input a code when you try to unlock the device? Or is it something else? I had removed the ATT sim and inserted another one, after doing so, I was asked for a code to unlock my device - which is when I input the unlock code that was provided to me from a 3rd party. If you are trying to do it from the settings menu, I am not sure it will work as I had tried that too.

Also, seeing now that in the US, sim-unlocking is illegal, I don't know if the company that provided you with the unlock code would have access to the code because of what I understood the process, they access a database off the HTC Server or something and provide us with the code. Check with them about this.

Lastly, about un-rooting and trying, I had 1st sim-unlocked my tablet and then rooted. Not sure that doing it the other way around would make a difference seeing as the 2 are completely different components. If however, you wish to try sim-unlocking 1st, then you will need to 1st lock your bootloader and then try the sim unlock code. To lock the bootloader, you will need it connected in fastboot mode to the computer and will need to run the code fastboot oem lock and then try the sim unlock. Detailed instructions for this can be found on the htcdev.com website. You can use the same unlock token you would have used previously from htcdev.com to re-unlock your bootloader. However, I don't see any way in which this will make a difference. I suggest you try the 1st 2 options 1st. If after that the problem persists, then try a complete wipe and factory reset and try again before you lock-unlock the bootloader.

Well it looks as if I am going to need to do a complete wipe and factory reset. I relocked the bootloader but alas it was to no avail. So, the moral of the story is unlock then root. Thanks to all for the help.

Are the complete wipe and the factory reset the same thing?

sjlewis

Feb 28, 2013
Portsmouth
How do I do a complete wipe?

Yes complete wipe and factory reset are the same. Do that, wipe cache and wipe dalvik cache.

Sent from my HTC PG09410 using XDA Premium HD app

Thank you so much for the help! How do I do a complete wipe? Furthermore how do I wipe both the cache and dalvik cache? I have rebooted holding the power and volume down button until the bootloader screen (i think that is the screen) comes up (it says "Relocked" and Security Warning" on the top) and then selected factory reset and afterwards clear storage. But is there a procedure I should follow? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

kailashpchhabria

Dec 4, 2011
Bangalore
Thank you so much for the help! How do I do a complete wipe? Furthermore how do I wipe both the cache and dalvik cache? I have rebooted holding the power and volume down button until the bootloader screen (i think that is the screen) comes up (it says "Relocked" and Security Warning" on the top) and then selected factory reset and afterwards clear storage. But is there a procedure I should follow? Any help would be appreciated.

Try it with the process you have described 1st. Because the other method would require the bootloader unlocked and a custom recovery. So do the factory reset using the default tools from the bootloader then lets see if it works.

sjlewis

Feb 28, 2013
Portsmouth
No dice

Try it with the process you have described 1st. Because the other method would require the bootloader unlocked and a custom recovery. So do the factory reset using the default tools from the bootloader then lets see if it works.

I tried doing the factory reset and clear storage, but upon reboot there are no changes to my device, profile, memory, files, or anything. Meaning it is just as if I rebooted normally without selecting factory reset or clear storage.

My device shows s-on and I had relocked it thinking that might help with the sim unlock. So it has Relocked, Security Warning, and S-on when it is in bootloader. What am I missing or what should I do? :crying: Thanks again.

kailashpchhabria

Dec 4, 2011
Bangalore
I tried doing the factory reset and clear storage, but upon reboot there are no changes to my device, profile, memory, files, or anything. Meaning it is just as if I rebooted normally without selecting factory reset or clear storage.

My device shows s-on and I had relocked it thinking that might help with the sim unlock. So it has Relocked, Security Warning, and S-on when it is in bootloader. What am I missing or what should I do? :crying: Thanks again.

Are you sure that the code is authentic? Because of unlocking devices going illeagal and stuff. Check that 1st or try procuring the code from another source, If and only if you are sure of all this, then try the next.

Ok, now re-unlock your bootloader - see the appropriate forum for the same, then re-install the custom recovery (CWM recovery) and then from there try a factory reset - details on the corresponding thread in the development section. After that let us know. If that doesn't work too then flash a custom rom like el Diablo onto your device and try again. I think this would be the last step that we can help with. After that I think you would have to approach ATT or HTC for help.

Hope your issue gets solved.

sjlewis

Feb 28, 2013
Portsmouth
Failed

Are you sure that the code is authentic? Because of unlocking devices going illeagal and stuff. Check that 1st or try procuring the code from another source, If and only if you are sure of all this, then try the next.

Ok, now re-unlock your bootloader - see the appropriate forum for the same, then re-install the custom recovery (CWM recovery) and then from there try a factory reset - details on the corresponding thread in the development section. After that let us know. If that doesn't work too then flash a custom rom like el Diablo onto your device and try again. I think this would be the last step that we can help with. After that I think you would have to approach ATT or HTC for help.

Hope your issue gets solved.

I had already purchased the unlock code from a second company and they returned the same code as the first so I believe that is legitimate. I unlocked the bootloader again and performed the factory reset through CWM and still the same. Every sim card (even the ATT sim) causes the network locked screen. I can try the diablo, but I don't feel like that will have any success. I think that I will be most excited to throw this through the window. Thank you for all the help and suggestions. As I once saw on a website, "Some of us are here to serve as a warning for others."

NOTE FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS - ALWAYS UNLOCK YOUR JETSTREAM TABLET BEFORE ROOTING.

guru_shastri

Oct 25, 2010
RUU is like flashing the stock rom and all the other directories(recovery,kernel.. all at once. i'm not sure about the definition but its the closest you can get to an out-of the box device.
this is where you get it:
http://www.htc.com/us/support/news.aspx?p_id=588&p_name=htc-jetstream-att

as far as i can remember you need to relock the bootloader - and then plug the device to the computer and run the *.exe file. what you get is stock rom, unrooted.
i think it's worth a shot.
install it, try and unlock the sim. after that do all the rooting and stuff.
goodluck.

Last edited:

sjlewis

Feb 28, 2013
Portsmouth
RUU still no SIM Unlock

RUU is like flashing the stock rom and all the other directories(recovery,kernel.. all at once. i'm not sure about the definition but its the closest you can get to an out-of the box device.
this is where you get it:
http://www.htc.com/us/support/news.aspx?p_id=588&p_name=htc-jetstream-att

as far as i can remember you need to relock the bootloader - and then plug the device to the computer and run the *.exe file. what you get is stock rom, unrooted.
i think it's worth a shot.
install it, try and unlock the sim. after that do all the rooting and stuff.
goodluck.

Thank you for the suggestion. I relocked the bootloader and then I followed all of the instructions from HTC via the link. The process was successful and the RUU was installed, but upon reboot the tablet still does not recognize the native ATT sim asking for the old familiar unlock code (which I have memorized). Upon entering it I received the same device successfully unlocked rebooting only to have it reboot to the same Network locked message. So I guess it is hopeless. Fortunately, my wife wanted a tablet and she does not need a data plan so I will buy something else.

Reactions: rayandreas

Velvet2000

Jan 10, 2013
I had already purchased the unlock code from a second company and they returned the same code as the first so I believe that is legitimate. I unlocked the bootloader again and performed the factory reset through CWM and still the same. Every sim card (even the ATT sim) causes the network locked screen. I can try the diablo, but I don't feel like that will have any success. I think that I will be most excited to throw this through the window. Thank you for all the help and suggestions. As I once saw on a website, "Some of us are here to serve as a warning for others."

NOTE FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS - ALWAYS UNLOCK YOUR JETSTREAM TABLET BEFORE ROOTING.

Thanks for the Caution, however I Unlocked my Jetstream AFTER rooting the device, and it worked perfectly.
Oh by the way, the unlock code was about 2.99 on eBay

DruculaC

May 14, 2011
Wuhan
www.dormanthink.com
i met the same problem as you. and i try a wrong code, i also remind "successful unlocked from the network, rebooting", but when i reboot, it need the code again. so whatever i enter in the blank, i remind successful, but really not.

Thank you for the suggestion. I relocked the bootloader and then I followed all of the instructions from HTC via the link. The process was successful and the RUU was installed, but upon reboot the tablet still does not recognize the native ATT sim asking for the old familiar unlock code (which I have memorized). Upon entering it I received the same device successfully unlocked rebooting only to have it reboot to the same Network locked message. So I guess it is hopeless. Fortunately, my wife wanted a tablet and she does not need a data plan so I will buy something else.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Perfectly unlocked to used with any SIM, I paid 25$ to HTCIMEIUNLOCK, waited 15 minutes, got the unlocking code, entered it and ...WOW !!! SIM unlocked.
    Working perfectly on ORANGE network in Israel. If anyone wants to see here it is:
    http://youtu.be/VcZlljP62Ew
    Having mine shipped tomm to the middle east...already obtained the IMEI and had it unlocked by one of those sites you mentioned...will update next week when I receive it
    I got mine sent to me by a friend in the states, it was bought without a plan and came locked to at&t, I called them and explained I live in Australia but they said they couldn't unlock it. I was able to get an unlock code and made a video about it here http://youtu.be/a8eN0roRxHQ
    Now it is unlocked :) hope that helps
    Great News - will try unlocking my HTC JetStream which will use a Middle East carrier data SIM & will update - thanks for the hint !!!
    Hi,
    Was wondering if the sim unlock will cause a change in the root or if the root could interfere with the sim unlock or if any future updates will revert the sim unlock to sim lock?
    Wanted to be sure before unlocking the sim.

I unlocked my Jetstream a couple of months ago. I rooted the jetstream last week and didn't see any issues. Although now I am bricked because of an unrelated reason. But you won't see any problems with unlocking your SIM.