Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

T-Macgnolia

Sep 30, 2010
Shannon, Ms.
Hello and thank you for posting this! I am indeed a new member and famous I'm not a developer, I work with developers. I hope this forum will tend to my needs as an online guru and make me more wise about how I do things. I really don't know how to get started to be honest. I'm looking to connect with talented and informative developers who would be willing to work with me and make the app industry a better one. Which XDA is already doing I can see.

If you have the time I would like it if you could get me started or possibly introduce me to some talented people among the ranks on this forum.

Great introduction post for me to read!
Thanks!
Nate

I do not know your skill level or how much you know about programming an working with mobile devices. So if any of what I say does not apply to you please take it with a grain of salt and not offence as I only aim to try to help some. I suggest you start with the forum for your current device and any other device you may own. Go to the forum, or forums, and read read read. Try to learn as much as you can about your device or devices. Learn all aspects about them such as processor specific details like what architecture it uses. Find out what kind of internal memory it uses and what format it is in, google is very helpful in doing this. Learn how your device or devices are unlocked and exactly what the unlocking allows the device or devices to do. read heavily in the development forum for your device or devices. Look at the development that is out for your device or is in development for your device or devices.After you feel you have learned all you can about your device or devices then pick out developers from your forum that you think you would like work with and send them PMs detailing you would like to work with them and what services you can provide for them. Also learn how to use the development tools for your device or devices such as the SDK for Android. Last and most importantly be friendly and considerate to any and all members you have contact with and also have patients as everyone here is from different places in the world and vary in the amount of time they spend here on XDA. Hope some of this helps.

mikef

Retired Senior Moderator
I do not know your skill level or how much you know about programming an working with mobile devices. So if any of what I say does not apply to you please take it with a grain of salt and not offence as I only aim to try to help some. I suggest you start with the forum for your current device and any other device you may own. Go to the forum, or forums, and read read read. Try to learn as much as you can about your device or devices. Learn all aspects about them such as processor specific details like what architecture it uses. Find out what kind of internal memory it uses and what format it is in, google is very helpful in doing this. Learn how your device or devices are unlocked and exactly what the unlocking allows the device or devices to do. read heavily in the development forum for your device or devices. Look at the development that is out for your device or is in development for your device or devices.After you feel you have learned all you can about your device or devices then pick out developers from your forum that you think you would like work with and send them PMs detailing you would like to work with them and what services you can provide for them. Also learn how to use the development tools for your device or devices such as the SDK for Android. Last and most importantly be friendly and considerate to any and all members you have contact with and also have patients as everyone here is from different places in the world and vary in the amount of time they spend here on XDA. Hope some of this helps.

Sorry T-Mac, it is a spam user. Good try though. :D I can spot those within 1 or 2 posts now. PM me and I will tell you how.

Last edited:

EoinCuinn

Aug 4, 2011
Nice guide. Think n00bs will read it? That is kind of the downside of n00bs, not reading or searching first. So they never find this. :)

I'm a new user. Been here for quite a few days now, read a heap of specific posts to device and my old one, and really only saw this out of the corner of my eye. It's a great read, and I agree with the comment that new users should have to read it.

Now to go and sort out my signature

T-Macgnolia

Sep 30, 2010
Shannon, Ms.
I'm a new user. Been here for quite a few days now, read a heap of specific posts to device and my old one, and really only saw this out of the corner of my eye. It's a great read, and I agree with the comment that new users should have to read it.

Now to go and sort out my signature

Thank you for your post, you serve as a prime example of why I say one thread in one location will not work for this thread to have a major impact on new users. Now a mandatory read is a idea, but how do you know they actually took the time to read it and didn't just scroll down and click on what ever button is there to say "Ok I read it" like so many do when they install new programs or apps and just click accept. A time limit would not work either because they could just wait that time period out and then go about their business. I say if it is posted in other forums this is a sure fire way to up the odds that this is actually read by new users.

Reactions: Natureboy72

Phrodini

Apr 20, 2012
Google Pixel 3a XL
Sounds legit... If you are used to forums then it should be easier.. Everything makes sense.. just be patient, research, read as op stated... Ive learned a lot on here just by reading what interests me and trying stuff out... Great place

Sent from my SCH-R920 using xda premium

mikef

Retired Senior Moderator
Should we add please use thanks button instead of a thanks post to the guide?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I thought that having this:

"I am leaving this open for now, but please, in the spirit of what I have written above, please only post suggestions you feel will improve this guide. I hope this guide helps you and makes your experience on XDA a better one. I appreciate your thanks, but I will appreciate you even more if you take this guide to heart and really do it while you are here. Thank you for reading."

at the bottom would be sufficient to keep people from posting but might need to get the thread closed instead. :(

Fallen Spartan

Moderator Emeritus- Irish Pride, Spartan Legacy
mf2112 said:
I thought that having this:

"I am leaving this open for now, but please, in the spirit of what I have written above, please only post suggestions you feel will improve this guide. I hope this guide helps you and makes your experience on XDA a better one. I appreciate your thanks, but I will appreciate you even more if you take this guide to heart and really do it while you are here. Thank you for reading."

at the bottom would be sufficient to keep people from posting but might need to get the thread closed instead. :(

I would prefer it if other users added tips for new users tbh, ie, from experience........ What to do, look for, help others, become a RC, start deving etc. We want to assist new users so they become the next great devs and inspire future users

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think! XDA, mobile wisdom, not a n00b feeding ground!!

InfantryMarc

Jul 8, 2011
Arkansas
i found this thread to be pretty informative from a new user standpoint. most of it is common sense but we all know common sense might as well be a super power by now. ive always been the kind of person to research the heck out of something just to find all the information about it as i could and this site definitely has a ton of info to learn. i do agree that alot of people dont read before they post. ive seen it on countless threads. maybe having this thread be a requirement will maybe curb that a lil bit? anyways awesome work and thanks for the work.

edit : one way ive learned so far on here, utilize the search option. the question or problem you have may just be written differently. try using multiple ways of searching. if that doesnt work try using google. more than likely it will link a page back here. maybe the problem you are having is just the same as on a different device but has a similiar way of fixing it. and if all fails and you do have to post a question, dont sound like ur panicking. give logcats, specific information about your problem such as rom,kernel, version, what error message you get, etc. that will better narrow down the issue. the devs, and other members who will try to help dont want to have their time wasted by half the information being missing. oh and read the thread before u post an issue, more than likely if its something being developed others have had the exact same issue. no need in cluttering a thread saying over and over a same problem that someone else already stated and that has been known to happen. reading could fix all that.

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 AM ----------

Thank you for your post, you serve as a prime example of why I say one thread in one location will not work for this thread to have a major impact on new users. Now a mandatory read is a idea, but how do you know they actually took the time to read it and didn't just scroll down and click on what ever button is there to say "Ok I read it" like so many do when they install new programs or apps and just click accept. A time limit would not work either because they could just wait that time period out and then go about their business. I say if it is posted in other forums this is a sure fire way to up the odds that this is actually read by new users.

what if u made each section where they had to sign with their email that they sat up to join and make it where they had to verify the email? just an idea. i know it would clutter their email box up but it would be better to have like 5 or 6 emails they would have to click a link on rather than 100s of posts where its obvious they didnt read it.

Last edited:
Reactions: imnesbitt and mikef

CitRocker

Dec 31, 2011
Thanks, lots of useful tips. Not my first forum I'm in but it's always important to state out the rules of each forum. But as some are very lazy they gonna skip this guide and post requests before searching. That's in the human nature. For me this guide is great, among the first page I visited. Of cource I'm gonna follow it, no doubt about it :good:

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
I'd like to suggest that you add a section to this about reading "stickies". As the majority of us will know, the stickies section of these forums will hold all the crucial information like brilliant guides (this one included), forum rules and other much needed information.
I didn't even know about the sticky thread for users to make suggestions to mods/admins until about half hour ago, and even then I only noticed it because I got bored and thought I'd have a look through.
At least if it is added to this thread, a lot of the new users who are directed here, will be able to read it and take that idea on board.

Sent from Sony Xperia S using XDA Premium
Join my threads here and here.

Check out this [GUIDE] How to be a New User (and not a noob)

Reactions: anhelogr and mikef

vobguy

Apr 29, 2011
Richmond, VA
Glad that I happened upon this, it explains a few things like the 5 minute period between posts.

The 5 minute thing is not too bad, though annoying because it also makes you wait 5 minutes to edit your previous post as well.

Ok, technically, you can edit it immediately. You just can't save the edit until 5 minutes have elapsed from your previous post. :laugh:

And the suggestion to read is obviously a good one. I might suggest somehow highlighting it a bit more, so anyone even briefly scanning it would be drawn to it. As it is, my eye is drawn to the Rules Animation and I almost missed the Read bit right below. .

But then again, these days, the biggest offenders probably aren't even looking for this thread. To think I thought things were bad back in the Usenet days when people would not RTFM...

Reactions: mikef

TonyStark R.I.P.

Retired Moderator - R.I.P.
May 20, 2008
Malibu Point
Hey brother I'm curious how the XDA donation system works. I donated a few days ago when I read this wonderful informational, but i still have no
rotating-yellow-star.gif

Fallen Spartan

Moderator Emeritus- Irish Pride, Spartan Legacy
Hey brother I'm curious how the XDA donation system works. I donated a few days ago when I read this wonderful informational, but i still have no
rotating-yellow-star.gif

It should be automatic tbh. Contact admin and they should sort it out for ya

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think! XDA, mobile wisdom, not a n00b feeding ground!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mod edit: Thread closed as many information are void and obsolete since the transition to Xenforo. Please check the threads that are stuck at the top of this forum
    and especially this comprehensive guide of our RC @sd_shadow:
    Hyperlinks in this post have been removed as most of them are meanwhile broken.
    Oswald Boelcke, Senior Moderator

This guide is intended to be a starting point for noobs New Users to teach you how to
    start out on XDA and have a good experience and be good XDA community members. :D

XDA is a great place where you can learn a lot about how to make your phone better, have fun talking to
    other smart people about your phone and the Android OS or Windows Phone OS, and maybe be
    recognized for your efforts. But first there are a few things you need to know about XDA.

I suggest bookmarking any of the links below which might seem helpful since chances are in the future
    it will be helpful to you or to someone else and you will have it bookmarked. :D

~~~Getting Started~~~
    First, please start here by registering.
    This enables you to post questions and helpful replies to other people's questions and get thanks.

~~~The Rules~~~
    Like anything in life, there are rules here.
    Here is the short version. Please:
    picture.php

Here is the full version. XDA Forum Rules
    Moderators (mods) enforce the rules when necessary. Getting a Moderators help
    If you are having problems with XDA or need assistance from an admin for things like name changes,
    please check here: XDA Contacts & Help
    [Guideline] Behaviour on XDA

~~~Reading~~~
    The best way to start is not by posting, it is by reading. Read, search, read, search.
    If you read an answer that looks helpful or answers a question you might have, bookmark it, and
    when you see someone else ask that question you will have the answer for them plus a supporting link.

"Always read lots post little" - mo976

I strongly encourage reading ALL of the stickied notes and guides in the About xda-developers.com subforum,
    as well as the stickied guides in your device forums.
    The stickied guides are pinned to the top of the subforum, you can see a little thumbtack icon to the left.
    They are always at the top of the subforum view, even if other threads have newer posts in them.

You might be thinking "What, that's too much!?" or TLDR (too long, didn't read).
    It is a lot, true...a lot of very valuable information, questions answered, problems solved,
    collected and organized and right there for you to read and learn without having to work to search for it.

Many people have put in countless hours of their personal time to enter in this knowledge
    for you to learn it and apply it successfully to your XDA experience and phone, and the mods
    have put them at the top of the subforum pages so you don't have to work to find them.
    Please don't waste their time or yours.

I know a lot of you are just using the XDA app or Tapatalk or Forum Runner and are not on the website.
    This might help: [HOW TO]Make The Most Of The XDA App

~~~Searching~~~
    When you have a question you don't know the answer to, don't post a new thread when you could post a
    question in a relevant open thread, and don't post a question when a few minutes reading and searching
    will not only give you an answer, but a feeling of accomplishment that you were able to find it yourself,
    and the confidence to remember and repeat the answer with the link to the thread or post with that
    answer when you see someone else post that question you didn't have to.

Consider the question you are going to post, pick out the keywords and type them into the search box.
    Try a few different searches with slightly different words.
    New Members Guide-Get the most out of XDA!!
    Search guide video
    Help Your Threads Get More Search Hits with Better Titles and Tags! (and improve the XDA search functionality for free!)
    Thread naming guide

You can also search XDA with Google. Just add this to your search terms.
    site:xda-developers.com

If you aren't sure what a term or acronym means, check this excellent Glossary by benjamingwynn or
    stempox's very helpful guide Terms Android.

If you are feeling a bit overwhelmed and wondering if you are in over your head, this excellent guide by iElvis
    can help you decide. So You Want to Root and Mod Your HTC One X/XL
    I highly recommend it for all new users as the content is not specific to the One X/XL despite the title.

[GUIDE] - XDA New User Guide - Getting started on XDA - Part 2
    [GUIDE] - XDA New User Guide - Getting started on XDA - Part 2

~~~Giving Thanks~~~
    Giving thanks is important. It lets people know that their work or answer is appreciated. It is a faster
    method of feedback than posting a reply like "Thanks for your answer!" You must have one post to
    give thanks, so here is a good place you can do that: The "Say Hi" thread.
    You can go do that now and come back and finish here please. :p

You get 8 thanks per day, and they renew after 24 hours or so. Each thanks is independent of the others,
    so if you give someone a thanks at 3, and then another at 4, those will renew at 3 and 4 the next day.
    If you run out of thanks, then save that page in a new tab and give thanks later when you have one available.
    If you use them all every day you are doing it correctly. :D

~~~Getting Thanks~~~
    You will see that everyone here has a Thanks Meter above their avatar.
    Here are the counts needed to get to the next bar.
    1st bar - 26
    2nd bar - 51
    3rd bar - 101
    4th bar - 201
    bug here, never gets to 5 bars, probably 501 if fixed. ;)
    6th bar - 1001
    7th bar - 2001
    8th bar - 5001
    9th bar - 8001
    Maxed! - 10000

Not that thanks are an indication of a user's status or stature on XDA. Thanks don't really count for
    anything other than as a potentially wildly inaccurate measure of a member's ability to answer your
    question correctly. Some of the most important people here have a lot fewer thanks than you might guess.

~~~User Titles~~~
    As you go around XDA and encounter people, you may notice that they have different titles
    under their avatar. Speaking of which, click here to upload an avatar picture.

Here are the user titles explained by one of our mods.
    0 to 29 posts - Junior Member
    30 to 99 posts - Member
    100 + posts - Senior Member

Originally Posted by juzz86

I'll sum it up for you (or try, anyway!)

There are Junior Members, Members, Senior Members first. These make up the vast majority of XDAs userbase.

Recognised Contributors are nominated by other users and/or Mods/Developers. They are recognised for their contributions which are not specifically Development, such as detailed guides, one-click utilities and other tools/mods.

Recognised Themers are also nominated by users/Mods/Developers, for their work themeing custom ROMs and providing standalone themes for flashing.

Recognised Developers are nominated and approved by the Developer Committee, for their work in Development whether it be ROMs, Root methods, bootloader unlocks etc.

Elite Recognised Developers are again assessed by the Developer Committee, and are deemed to have gone above-and-beyond in providing knowledge/hacks/tools/apps/ROMs for the XDA community.

Forum Moderators are appointed by the Moderator Committee, after submitting an application (see the 'sticky' at the top of this forum - currently applications are not open). They are the first-line of keeping the forums tidy, friendly and orderly.

Senior Moderators are the next step up the ladder, providing site-wide support for Forum Mods and looking after the nitty-gritty issues, as well as areas of XDA not policed by FSMs, such as the Marketplace.

Administrators are next. There are several Admins - each look after a specific part of XDA such as the Portal, the Members and the User Experience of XDA as a whole.

At the top is Mike Channon, who is overall Forum Administrator.

Other titles you may come across:

Moderator Committee - sits on the Mod Committee
    Developer Committee - as above, but for Developer Committee
    XDA Newswriter - publishes articles for the Portal (front page)
    Retired xxxx - have since officially 'left' their XDA position

Hopefully that clears most of them up for you

Contrary to what a lot of people expect, the thanks-meter does not figure at all in determining a users tag.

[GUIDE] - XDA New User Guide - Getting started on XDA - Part 3
    [GUIDE] - XDA New User Guide - The Visual Guide (WIP)

A picture is worth a thousand words...so here are a few pictures to ponder.

1. Portal
    2. Forum Home
    3. Device Home
    4. Device Forum
    5. User Control Panel
    6. Advanced Search

For the text version of this guide and to register here on XDA, please go here:
    [GUIDE] - XDA New User Guide - Getting started on XDA

1. Many people start out with the XDA Portal.

XDAPortal.png

------------------------------------------
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ------------------------------------------​

2. But most continue on to the forums...this is a longie but a goodie.

XDAForum1.png

XDAForum2.png

++++++++++++++++++++++++

3. Once you find your device home forum, many people stay for a while.

XDAdevicehome.png

++++++++++++++++++++++++

4. There is a lot of information just by glancing at the device's Q&A forum page.

XDAdeviceforum.png

++++++++++++++++++++++++

5. You can change your preferences and more through the User Control Panel.

XDAcontrolpanel.png

++++++++++++++++++++++++

6. If you know how to use the Advanced Search, you are a power user indeed.

XDAAdvancedSearch.png

++++++++++++++++++++++++

For the text version of this guide and to register here on XDA, please go here:
    [GUIDE] - XDA New User Guide - Getting started on XDA

Welcome to XDA!
    [GUIDE] - XDA New User Guide - Getting started on XDA - Part 3

~~~Posting Questions~~~
    There are some restrictions on your posting ability when you first start here. For your first 7 posts, there is
    a captcha prompt and a time limit in between posts. This is mostly to stop spammers from posting garbage
    throughout every thread. There is a 2 minute limit between posting and editing your posts. This stops at
    30 posts when you go from Junior Member to Member, so read twice, post once.

OK, you got through all that and you have a question that you need that answer to. You have searched,
    and searched again, and searched again with different keywords, but you can't find the answer.
    The question is, where do you post it?

The first and best place is to check your device's Q&A forum for a thread posted there,
    either a general question thread, or a thread already posted there with a similar question.

When you post into a thread, that thread is then listed at the top of the forum it is in and the title turns
    Bolded for everyone else so they know there is a new post. Someone else may see that thread
    and know the answer and post it. If you need to open a new thread check here first for helpful advice.

Always remember advice from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic!
    Please post ALL relevant information. What ROM/Kernel, What you were doing when the problem surfaced,
    What is the actual problem (not my phone won't boot, help!!), Were the planets aligned,...

Simple information can go along way to diagnose the problem/issue and it also prevents the reciprocal
    post of "Need more info".

And we have all been there in Panic Mode where you freak out and just want to get some help. Noobs don't
    look at these devices as phones or tablets, but rather as investment because well that is what they are at
    $500-$800 a throw. I respect my device but that is because I know how to use and recovery it. Noobs don't.
    They see a bootloop and it is strikingly similar to the toilet swirling their money down the drain.
    That is when Panic Mode sets in.

Don't Panic. Don't be a noob. Be a New User who is smart and reads a lot and knows where things are and
    how to find useful and timely information.

Remember, give it some time before reposting. XDA members live around the world and are not going to be
    on your time zone and schedule. Wait a day and see if you get a response. If you want a notification of
    someone else posting into that thread, click on the Thread Tools button at the top of the thread and choose
    Subscribe, or click the Subscribe button at the top of the page.
    Please do not simply "bump" the thread up. Add some more information as to additional things you have
    tried to resolve the problem since your last post.

~~~Why can't I post in the Dev thread I want to?~~~

The 10 post rule was put in place to make new users think, and hopefully contribute and help others by
    making useful posts rather than the usual crap like "thanks", "kewl" etc or ask questions which have
    been asked countless times before. They still have access to dev forums, just cannot post in them.
    Its not a massive restriction and to provide 10 useful/helpful posts is not hard.
    Fallen Spartan - Moderator Committee

Almost all of XDA is open to you right from the start. You can post into your devices General, Q&A,
    Accessories, and Themes and Apps forums. You can learn a lot and help other new users with answers
    you have found previously by reading the stickied guides in your device forum and in the
    XDA General Discussion forums.

Please feel free to thank the dev several times instead of posting "Thanks for a great ROM".
    Rate the dev's thread with 5 stars using the rate dropdown button at the top of every page of the thread.
    If you feel that is not sufficient, most devs have a donate button with Paypal.
    I promise you that they will remember you and appreciate you far more for donating even a couple of
    dollars versus some post, however gushingly approving, on their ROM thread.

Please do not send private messages to the devs saying "Thanks for a great ROM"
    instead of posting "Thanks for a great ROM". See above. :D

If you have read up to this point and still feel it is unfair that you cannot post into a dev forum thread,
    please consider it from this perspective:

Is it so much to ask that you read for a bit first, pick up some knowledge and experience, help a few people
    in the 90+% of XDA which is completely open to you, to participate with quality posts instead of BS posts,
    in return for being able to post into any of the ROM threads from any dev on this site?

What XDA is all about

Also keep in mind that the mods are out there reading your posts, and if they believe you are posting junk
    simply to get to 10 posts to post some non-dev comment in a dev thread, you could find all your posts
    missing and your account temporarily disabled.

For more tips on how to reach 10 posts in a community acceptable way, please check here:
    Postcount limit in developmental fora
    Want To Post In Development?

[GUIDE] - XDA New User Guide - Getting started on XDA - Part 4
    [GUIDE] - XDA New User Guide - Getting started on XDA - Part 4

~~~Getting Flamed or Trolled~~~
    When you post something here, many people will see it and possibly post a reply that might be perceived as
    funny but not extremely helpful, or trolling. This is mostly due to questions that have been asked and
    answered a thousand times, threads/posts being in the wrong forum/thread, or not providing enough info.
    This is usually meant as good-natured kidding, so please don't take it wrongly and snap off a reply that
    escalates the situation into something you might regret later.

At some point, you are going to get "flamed" by someone who feels that your post is stupid, off-topic,
    irrelevant, noobish, whatever, and they are going to post something like "You are an XXXXX who doesn't
    know something simple like YYYYY. Don't post here anymore." It is going to happen at some time here,
    but the important part is not to respond in kind.
    It will not help the situation, or make your e-peen any bigger, or make you any tougher. It might make
    you feel better temporarily, but what usually happens is that the forum mod (or a senior mod) will come
    in and delete those comments and you might end up on the infraction list, or temporarily disabled,
    or banned. Just don't reply to it.

First, consider the question or post you wrote from a different angle. There is no excuse for flaming
    someone, but in a multi-cultural environment things may be perceived very differently than you intended.
    Try ignoring it.

Second, if the flame is really over the line, don't reply to it. Click on the little triangle in the upper right corner
    of the post to report it. Type in a short explanation, choose "Abusive or threatening post" and let the mods handle it.

~~~Reporting Posts~~~
    XDA Needs You! to help keep things organized. Please press the little orange triangle button and report
    when you see threads that are in the wrong forums. If you see a [Q] thread posted in your device's General
    or Development forums, please take a minute to report it and put in "Please move to X device Q&A forum"
    as an example reason. Then choose "Thread/Post moving or maintenance" in the drop down box,then Send Report.
    This will notify all the mods of that forum and one of them will move the thread to the correct forum.

You can also use this to report spam posts. Since XDA has a lot of members, we are a target for spammers.
    If you see threads posted with titles like [WATCH ONLINE NOW][LIVE]Some sports event[LIVE], please
    use the report button to let us mods know that we need to delete it.

~~~Signature~~~
    Making a signature is a very important thing to do since it can help to describe your phone, it's current software,
    and any modifications you have installed.

A signature should inform others about your phone when you post a question to avoid follow up questions.
    A good signature will include information helpful to others beyond the direct target of the question/reply.
    A great signature will inform the community with important information and potentially answer
    questions which have not been asked yet, avoiding repetitive posts.

[GUIDE][Noob Friendly]How to make a good signature[Noob Friendly][GUIDE]
    Please click here to make a signature (5-8 posts minimum)
    It's cool and you will get more help and respect from us.
    If you need some ideas for a signature or are willing to share yours, please check here: Share your sig code please.

Please respect other XDA members and avoid using really huge pictures that are several inches tall
    with stacked pictures and text, or multi-megabyte videos.

Also, if you copy a picture from someone that you like, please rehost it either in a gallery here on XDA
    or on Dropbox or photobucket or whatever service you like.
    Don't just copy their image link and paste it into your signature. That is stealing and could also be
    turned off at any time if they change or delete the picture, or if the additional bandwidth used goes
    over the limits, and you will lose the image completely.

Please remember that signatures are supposed to be that, signatures. Not obnoxious billboards.

~~~Donations~~~
    Making a donation is neither expected or required, but are always gratefully received and appreciated.
    There are "Donate to me" icons above people's avatar, or in their signatures.
    You can also donate to XDA by clicking HERE.
    When you donate 10 EUROS to XDA,you get rewarded with a STAR which is displayed below your avatar.
    star.gif

If you buy 10 STARS ,you will be rewarded with a
    tenstar.gif

Remember, always be respectful of other members here and considerate. Most people here are doing
    this for nothing more than the feeling of helping people as we have been helped by other people previously,
    and sometimes the occasional press of the thanks button. We aren't making money here and this isn't
    a job, so please don't tell people what to do or demand things of people such as mods or custom ROM
    configs to suit you and you will do just fine here.

~~~Other Helpful Links~~~
    Get an extra 5GB at copy.com! :)
    [HOW TO] make a good THREAD, POST, QUESTION and POLL
    Help Your Threads Get More Search Hits with Better Titles and Thread Tags!
    [Tutorial] How To Logcat
    [GUIDE] How to give constructive feedback to developers
    [ADB/FB/APX Driver] Universal Naked Driver 0.7
    Chef Central
    Android Application Development Videos
    [Ultimate Guide]Android App Development - From Scratch
    How to Apply for Recognized Developer
    XDA Recognized Developer Program Expansion - Do you contribute enough work to be a Recognized Contributor or Recognized Themer?
    xda-developers: The History -Part One-
    xda-developers: The-History-Part Two/
    XDA Through the Years: A Visual History

I am leaving this open for now, but please, in the spirit of what I have written above, please only post
    suggestions you feel will improve this guide. I hope this guide helps you and makes your experience
    on XDA a better one. I appreciate your thanks, but I will appreciate you even more if you take this guide
    to heart and really do it while you are here. Thank you for reading.