At7t and T-mobile Merge

Search This thread

s0cc3rstud

Nov 2, 2010
Kenosha
Look what I found in the customers ads that come with my bill, I think T-mobile might be leaks us some infomation before the FCC, or who ever they are aproves this merge!!!!

Attachments

• IMAG0084.jpg
    IMAG0084.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 589

RaDeN305

Nov 22, 2007
That's not a leak or announcement that the merger (acquisition is more accurate) has been approved, although it likely will. They're just advertising for it to inform customers about it, calm fears, and get you on their side for WHEN it happens. This is standard stuff for acquisitions like this. It's not a secret that T-Mobile is trying to be purchased by AT&T.

Spr33y

Jul 31, 2011
Boston
Haha I must be one of the few Sensation users on AT&T... I had to buy my Sensation from Canada to get the correct bands xD

MarlinFF

Oct 31, 2010
Los Angeles
Q: Will I have to upgrade my T-Mobile 3G/4G device after the acquisition closes?

A: T-Mobile has no plans to alter our 3G / 4G network in any way that would make your device obsolete. The deal is expected to close in approximately 12 months. After that, decisions about the network will be AT&T’s to make. That said, the president and CEO of AT&T Mobility was quoted in the Associated Press saying “there’s nothing for [customers] to worry about… [network changes affecting devices] will be done over time… ”

What a ****ty answer.. Pretty much means YEAH you will.. just not right now!

chrisizzle492

May 20, 2008
Anaheim
The biggest problem that most don't realize is there is gonna be a lot of people out of work.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA App

RaDeN305

Nov 22, 2007
Q: Will I have to upgrade my T-Mobile 3G/4G device after the acquisition closes?

A: T-Mobile has no plans to alter our 3G / 4G network in any way that would make your device obsolete. The deal is expected to close in approximately 12 months. After that, decisions about the network will be AT&T’s to make. That said, the president and CEO of AT&T Mobility was quoted in the Associated Press saying “there’s nothing for [customers] to worry about… [network changes affecting devices] will be done over time… ”

Yes, you will have to switch phones eventually. AT&T will shift T-Mobile users to different 3G frequencies over time so you will need a new phone. But, they say they're going to spread that shift over several years to allow customers to replace phones at the time they normally would. Basically, if you switch phones every 2 years like most people, you won't notice and your phone won't just stop working on you from one day to the next. If you want to hang on to you Sensation 3-4 years from now, you're going to be pissed ;)

mike_ekim

Oct 10, 2010
Q: How many phones is ATT selling that are prepared to take advantage of T-Mobil's spectrum.
A: It was a retorical question.

Q: What changes are being made to integrate ATT and T-Mobil so that ATT customers can use T-Mobile's spectrum?
A: See the answer to the first question.

Q: How many phones are passing through the FCC with capability to use both ATT and T-Mobil networks.
A: Am I making sense yet?

Q: Will AT&T be making T-Mobil phones obsolete immediately after the merger?
A: Why/how could they?

I suspect there will be a transition rather than an abrupt change; I remember this sort of thing happening before:

First, phones that will support the current networks and the future networks will be made available as an option, and those phones will have a slight premium price but offer assurance that they will work in the future.

Second, those phones that work with both the current and future network will be mandatory for new contracts and contract changes.

Third, the network switchover will happen - probably in stages - and eventually older phones will be poorly supported or not supported at all. This will happen when your shiney new Sensation is an old phone that doesn't run the newest Android OS, with hardware that doesn't support the latest bla bla bla.

When it happened before with tri-mode phones, people cried and wined that their 2-year old POS phone was no longer supported, but they got another phone and moved on and today they wouldn't even dream of using that POS phone; but everyone benefited because networks as a whole were improved.

dosplunder

Apr 4, 2011
The biggest problem that most don't realize is there is gonna be a lot of people out of work.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA App

True it is a possiblity but in the agreement of the merger they set aside a bunch of money for payouts to the people that get laidoff which is good. At least they are doing what they can.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA Premium App