[TUT] Getting back to stock after flashing custom roms [Noob friendly]

Search This thread

ClydeB1

May 6, 2009
This guide is intended to help you to return your One X device back to stock in order to either return the device for a warranty claim, or to be in a position to receive an official OTA (Over The Air) update. There may be other guides, but the intention of this guide is to be as simple to perform as is possible given the challenges facing us without having s-off for the One X.

There are 2 methods that can be used to restore back to stock from a custom rom:
1. Using a nandroid backup (if you took one when you first unlocked your bootloader)
2. Flashing a stock ruu

BEFORE STARTING

1. Charge your device. It is advisable to have at least 60 - 70% battery charge on your device before attempting this process

2. Install HTC Sync software and drivers on your pc.

3. You also need to have the fastboot folder and files installed on your pc.
  • Refer here for guidance on using adb and fastboot commands

OPTION 1 - Restoring stock rom from nandroid backup
If you followed the advice when first unlocking your bootloader, you should have a nandroid backup of your original rom ;). It is easier to restore your backup than going through the process of flashing from an ruu
NB! If you don't have a nandroid backup have a look HERE to see if one has been uploaded that you can use, or you can ask another user to possibly upload one for you.

1. Copy the boot.img file from your backup (/sdcard/clockworkmod/backup) to the fastboot folder on your pc and flash this via fastboot: (If you use a nandroid backup from another user from the link above, then extract the backup.zip and copy the main folder (should have the date of the backup in the foder name) to /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/.
If the backup is made using TWRP then you will need TWRP Recovery to restore it. Copy the main folder to /sdcard/TWRP/Backups/Your phones Serial Number/. The boot file for a backup made using TWRP will be named boot.emmc.win, but you can flash it the same way as flashing the boot.img file.)
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img (or fastboot flash boot boot.emmc.win if using TWRP backup)
fastboot erase cache
2. Boot into Recovery and restore the backup
3. Boot back to bootloader and flash the appropriate recovery file to match your stock rom which you are restoring (See links below)
Code:
fastboot flash recovery [I]nameofrecoveryfile[/I].img
fastboot erase cache
Links to stock recovery versions can be found below:

OPTION 2 - Restoring stock rom by flashing stock ruu
Get the RUU file required for your device:
Make sure that USB debugging is enabled (Settings/Developer options). In order to determine which ruu file you require, boot your device into bootloader mode (Power off and then restart device by holding Power and Volume Down button together). Connect to pc via USB and check that device shows FASTBOOT USB on screen. Enter the following command in command prompt:
Code:
fastboot getvar version-main
If for example this command returns the value 1.29.401.x then you need to use that file or you can use a higher numbered file from the same region eg 2.17.401.x. NOTE: You can't use a lower numbered file eg 1.26.401.x and you also can't use a file from a different region eg 2.17.707.x.
You can find many of the ruu files here:

PROCESS :

1. Boot your phone to fastboot mode by holding power+vol down button for 10 secs..(if your phone keeps restarting in normal phone mode, go to Setting>Power and untick Fast boot)

2. Plug your phone into your PC and open a Command Prompt.
  • (windows XP - Click Start > Run > type CMD in box then press OK
  • (Windows 7 - Click Start > type CMD in search box then press Enter)

3. cd to the location of your fastboot files folder

4. Relock bootloader - type command:
Code:
fastboot oem lock
The phone will then restart into fastboot again showing "RELOCKED"

6. On your pc run the RUU that you downloaded earlier, follow the steps as prompted and patiently wait for it to finish.
REMEMBER your phone should be charged ABOVE 50% AND if the ruu or restore is INTERRUPTED 4 any reason during restore your
phone MAY be PERMANENTLY BRICKED..​

all the best..:fingers-crossed:

Last edited:

sumeshd

Nov 5, 2010
Mumbai

edited the title..
this is noob friendly and that is not..
this has links to everything one needs(e.g. stock recovery)
c'mon!!! cooking a rom out of ruu..

"
Install stock rom of your CID
-fastboot oem readcid (to know your CID)
-all roms are based on x.xx.401.xx , so you need to download the right RUU(that matches your CID) and extract rom.zip to cook a stock rom for you
-flash custom stock rom(extracted and cooked from right RUU) on custom recovery
-fastboot flash boot c:\boot.img (flash stock kernel that's inside custom stock rom boot.img file)

RElock the bootloader (you can allways unlock)
-fastboot oem lock

Right RUU file for your CID
-put your phone on fastboot (it will not boot because you have a custom rom on a locked bootloader)
-now you can run the RUU exe file and upgrade your phone

does this look noob friendly to you??
anyways I respect u very much eddy but if this will prove helpful than ppl will be helped and if its not helpful then this thread will die..so the decision is people's..
anyways I was just being helpful where's the problem in that?

sdarshan10

Dec 23, 2011
Ahmedabad
Ok can you please suggest from where I can get 1.29.980.11 RUU as i have searched for it google since many days but not able to find it.....

sumeshd

Nov 5, 2010
Mumbai
Ok can you please suggest from where I can get 1.29.980.11 RUU as i have searched for it google since many days but not able to find it.....

The ruu are available only with service center or HTC..as it very dangerous flashing a ruu coz one error will get your device bricked..
@football has an inside source at HTC company itself who provides him ruu..thus only he can get it..
U can try here : http://hoxroms.serveftp.com/
Now d server seems down..
Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: OS_Hacking

sdarshan10

Dec 23, 2011
Ahmedabad
Actually i bought this device from my friend recently ..i am currently running ARHD 9.3.2 rom on it but i want to get back to stock ...while flashing 1.28 ruu i came to know that my system image version is 1.29.980.11 ...........

The link you provide is not working now......is it the official link?

So u have already applied ota of 1.29??

sumeshd

Nov 5, 2010
Mumbai
Actually i bought this device from my friend recently ..i am currently running ARHD 9.3.2 rom on it but i want to get back to stock ...while flashing 1.28 ruu i came to know that my system image version is 1.29.980.11 ...........

The link you provide is not working now......is it the official link?

No it is another site that has some one x ruu available..try again later maybe the server is down this time and keep telling football..I haven't seen him since long maybe he is busy somewhere..and u can go to stock 1.28 if u want but hboot version will stay of 1.29..
IMO stay on latest custom Rom untill ur ruu is available..
Y do u want to go on stock??any warranty or update purpose??

sdarshan10

Dec 23, 2011
Ahmedabad
My battery life is not good on this ......i get battery last only for 7-8 hours on it.....also i want to get advantage of OTA to be released by htc soon.......... I was having htc desire s previously and i was able to flash older version on it but with HOX i am not able to flash it as it is S-On device.

No it is another site that has some one x ruu available..try again later maybe the server is down this time and keep telling football..I haven't seen him since long maybe he is busy somewhere..and u can go to stock 1.28 if u want but hboot version will stay of 1.29..
IMO stay on latest custom Rom untill ur ruu is available..
Y do u want to go on stock??any warranty or update purpose??

sumeshd

Nov 5, 2010
Mumbai
My battery life is not good on this ......i get battery last only for 7-8 hours on it.....also i want to get advantage of OTA to be released by htc soon.......... I was having htc desire s previously and i was able to flash older version on it but with HOX i am not able to flash it as it is S-On device.

Well u can try one thing follow steps from thread u were previously in and cook a Rom from 1.28 ruu..
Flash it..
Flash that stock boot too..
Then flash stock recovery and lock bootloader..
Now except hboot u have stock 1.28 rom, recovery and boot..
Now get 1.29 update and follow steps here : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25018782
Try and see if it work..
Just suggesting..

Last edited:

inSaN1Ty_X

Nov 21, 2011
Espoo
edited the title..

You could explain the difference of the RUU's and wihch part of the RUU name tells wihch phone it is for.
As this was one of the biggest problem for noobs at least in the IncS days.

Otherwise great guide! :D

sumeshd

Nov 5, 2010
Mumbai
You could explain the difference of the RUU's and wihch part of the RUU name tells wihch phone it is for.
As this was one of the biggest problem for noobs at least in the IncS days.

Otherwise great guide! :D

Our hox'x codename is "ENDEAVORU" so u will find it in ruu of our phone..
The middle part of ruu says which country it is meant for eg : Asia_India or Europe_xxx
After that there is country specific digits like 1.29.xxx.xx the "xxx.xx" is country code of ruu specific for each country..for India its 720.11
For Europe it is 401.20 etc..

Reactions: haree

sumeshd

Nov 5, 2010
Mumbai
Any other mirror for the RUU´s ? Don#t want to buy a Premium acc only for this ...

uploadfromtaptalk1346308488413.jpg
;)

H-KaN

Dec 7, 2010
Goslar
Did a mistake and need some help. I did all like its written. Have stock rom now and it seems to work. My problem. While installing stock recovery it seemed a bit weird cause after command it didnt give me any answer. So stupid me, late at night and so on...i kept on with the process relocked the loader and installed ruu. Now i wanted to see if stock recovery really installed and guess what...its not. I have no recovery now but the phone works. My question: Do I need the recovery? Im gonna give this phone to a girl friend and she has no clue about phones and wont ever need the recovery. But will the updates still work without recovery? if so im gonna leave it like this. If not can someone tell me how to install recovery after relocking and installing rom? any help would be great.

ckpv5

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 11, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
Did a mistake and need some help. I did all like its written. Have stock rom now and it seems to work. My problem. While installing stock recovery it seemed a bit weird cause after command it didnt give me any answer. So stupid me, late at night and so on...i kept on with the process relocked the loader and installed ruu. Now i wanted to see if stock recovery really installed and guess what...its not. I have no recovery now but the phone works. My question: Do I need the recovery? Im gonna give this phone to a girl friend and she has no clue about phones and wont ever need the recovery. But will the updates still work without recovery? if so im gonna leave it like this. If not can someone tell me how to install recovery after relocking and installing rom? any help would be great.

When your RUU installation went fine, it means that the stock recovery already properly installed. So, just leave it as you're giving this phone to someone else.

Reactions: H-KaN

sumeshd

Nov 5, 2010
Mumbai
Yes right recovery would be flashed with ruu..
If u want to go to recovery boot into hboot(power+vol dwn for 10 secs) and select recovery..
If it doesn't go to recovery then boot phone into fastboot
Connect with pc
Open cmd
Cd to fastboot folder
Type fastboot erase cache
Discoonect phone, go to hboot and select recovery..;)

Reactions: H-KaN

haree

Sep 13, 2008
CHENNAI
one qestion

hi
i do have the offcial RUU for India
just one question is the below the exact stock recovery for me or is this also country related just wanted to know for future if required:laugh:

this : 3. Stock Recovery : http://db.tt/6mACNeqS

thanks in advance:good::laugh:

sumeshd

Nov 5, 2010
Mumbai
hi
i do have the offcial RUU for India
just one question is the below the exact stock recovery for me or is this also country related just wanted to know for future if required:laugh:

this : 3. Stock Recovery : http://db.tt/6mACNeqS

thanks in advance:good::laugh:

Recoveries are same all over the world..this recovery is from 1.28 firmware..
It doesn't matter which recovery is installed during ruu detection..it just should be stock recovery..
And u can find 1.28 and 1.29 ruu for India in football's thread..
I don't have any ruu..@football is the man who gets it for all of us..no other..

Reactions: n1kos and haree

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide is intended to help you to return your One X device back to stock in order to either return the device for a warranty claim, or to be in a position to receive an official OTA (Over The Air) update. There may be other guides, but the intention of this guide is to be as simple to perform as is possible given the challenges facing us without having s-off for the One X.

There are 2 methods that can be used to restore back to stock from a custom rom:
    1. Using a nandroid backup (if you took one when you first unlocked your bootloader)
    2. Flashing a stock ruu

BEFORE STARTING

1. Charge your device. It is advisable to have at least 60 - 70% battery charge on your device before attempting this process

2. Install HTC Sync software and drivers on your pc.

3. You also need to have the fastboot folder and files installed on your pc.
    • Refer here for guidance on using adb and fastboot commands

OPTION 1 - Restoring stock rom from nandroid backup
    If you followed the advice when first unlocking your bootloader, you should have a nandroid backup of your original rom ;). It is easier to restore your backup than going through the process of flashing from an ruu
    NB! If you don't have a nandroid backup have a look HERE to see if one has been uploaded that you can use, or you can ask another user to possibly upload one for you.

1. Copy the boot.img file from your backup (/sdcard/clockworkmod/backup) to the fastboot folder on your pc and flash this via fastboot: (If you use a nandroid backup from another user from the link above, then extract the backup.zip and copy the main folder (should have the date of the backup in the foder name) to /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/.
    If the backup is made using TWRP then you will need TWRP Recovery to restore it. Copy the main folder to /sdcard/TWRP/Backups/Your phones Serial Number/. The boot file for a backup made using TWRP will be named boot.emmc.win, but you can flash it the same way as flashing the boot.img file.)
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot boot.img (or fastboot flash boot boot.emmc.win if using TWRP backup)
    fastboot erase cache
    2. Boot into Recovery and restore the backup
    3. Boot back to bootloader and flash the appropriate recovery file to match your stock rom which you are restoring (See links below)
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery [I]nameofrecoveryfile[/I].img
    fastboot erase cache
    Links to stock recovery versions can be found below:

OPTION 2 - Restoring stock rom by flashing stock ruu
    Get the RUU file required for your device:
    Make sure that USB debugging is enabled (Settings/Developer options). In order to determine which ruu file you require, boot your device into bootloader mode (Power off and then restart device by holding Power and Volume Down button together). Connect to pc via USB and check that device shows FASTBOOT USB on screen. Enter the following command in command prompt:
    Code:
    fastboot getvar version-main
    If for example this command returns the value 1.29.401.x then you need to use that file or you can use a higher numbered file from the same region eg 2.17.401.x. NOTE: You can't use a lower numbered file eg 1.26.401.x and you also can't use a file from a different region eg 2.17.707.x.
    You can find many of the ruu files here:

PROCESS :

1. Boot your phone to fastboot mode by holding power+vol down button for 10 secs..(if your phone keeps restarting in normal phone mode, go to Setting>Power and untick Fast boot)

2. Plug your phone into your PC and open a Command Prompt.
    • (windows XP - Click Start > Run > type CMD in box then press OK
    • (Windows 7 - Click Start > type CMD in search box then press Enter)

3. cd to the location of your fastboot files folder

4. Relock bootloader - type command:
    Code:
    fastboot oem lock
    The phone will then restart into fastboot again showing "RELOCKED"

6. On your pc run the RUU that you downloaded earlier, follow the steps as prompted and patiently wait for it to finish.
    REMEMBER your phone should be charged ABOVE 50% AND if the ruu or restore is INTERRUPTED 4 any reason during restore your
    phone MAY be PERMANENTLY BRICKED..​

all the best..:fingers-crossed:

edited the title..

"
    Install stock rom of your CID
    -fastboot oem readcid (to know your CID)
    -all roms are based on x.xx.401.xx , so you need to download the right RUU(that matches your CID) and extract rom.zip to cook a stock rom for you
    -flash custom stock rom(extracted and cooked from right RUU) on custom recovery
    -fastboot flash boot c:\boot.img (flash stock kernel that's inside custom stock rom boot.img file)

RElock the bootloader (you can allways unlock)
    -fastboot oem lock

Right RUU file for your CID
    -put your phone on fastboot (it will not boot because you have a custom rom on a locked bootloader)
    -now you can run the RUU exe file and upgrade your phone

does this look noob friendly to you??
    anyways I respect u very much eddy but if this will prove helpful than ppl will be helped and if its not helpful then this thread will die..so the decision is people's..
    anyways I was just being helpful where's the problem in that?
    How is this different from this thread?...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1660807
    Yes you can. Phone in the bootloader, recovery.img in the fastboot folder

Fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

This has nothing to do with root or even a running OS ! Root only applies to the working Rom

Thanks for helping Mr hofs ;) am afraid I will be diapering soon as my Hox and nexus7 are nearly Dead. Topcat888 great ROM for your hox is Team Venom viper x I've tried tripdroid and Cm10 but TeamVenom rules :D

Still see myself as noob but i try and help. Don't say thanks hit the THANKS BUTTON :p
    Any other mirror for the RUU´s ? Don#t want to buy a Premium acc only for this ...

uploadfromtaptalk1346308488413.jpg
    ;)