Aftermarket Replacement Battery Covers (Blk Carbon Fiber Reviewed: 5/16/2013)

Search This thread

shopkins82

Jan 17, 2012
I received my black pebble leather back yesterday and I'm quite happy with it. I paid a bit more ($13 vs. $7) to get it from a US seller and it arrived in 2 business days.

The added thickness is marginal and the texture/softness makes the phone much easier and surer to grip. My only real complaints are minor. The black trim doesn't match the "black mist" of the front of the phone very well. There is also a very small gap between the PU leather and the plastic trim on one edge that seems picks up lint/dirt. My ideal would be the entire back covered in the leather (like similar covers for the Note 2), but this is still a big step up from the stock back cover.

I think I'll go ahead and order the Carbon Fiber print as well based on the fit/finish of the pebble leather. I also may try brushing the black gloss trim with Scotch-Brite to give it a brushed look (a trick I picked up for hiding scratches on plastic-chrome Apple products), but not until I have an extra on-hand.

Thanks to the leather battery back and a matte screen protector, I now have a (nearly) smudge-free and smudge-resistant S4!

CHUUZE

Aug 11, 2011
CHUUZ3D Galaxy
I received my black pebble leather back yesterday and I'm quite happy with it. I paid a bit more ($13 vs. $7) to get it from a US seller and it arrived in 2 business days.

The added thickness is marginal and the texture/softness makes the phone much easier and surer to grip. My only real complaints are minor. The black trim doesn't match the "black mist" of the front of the phone very well. There is also a very small gap between the PU leather and the plastic trim on one edge that seems picks up lint/dirt. My ideal would be the entire back covered in the leather (like similar covers for the Note 2), but this is still a big step up from the stock back cover.

I think I'll go ahead and order the Carbon Fiber print as well based on the fit/finish of the pebble leather. I also may try brushing the black gloss trim with Scotch-Brite to give it a brushed look (a trick I picked up for hiding scratches on plastic-chrome Apple products), but not until I have an extra on-hand.

Thanks to the leather battery back and a matte screen protector, I now have a (nearly) smudge-free and smudge-resistant S4!

when/if you do brush with the scotch-brite can you post some pics? I am very interested in what that looks like...:D

shopkins82

Jan 17, 2012
Instead of trying to ScotchBrite or Paint the gloss black on my pebble-leather cover, I ended up getting this PU Carbon Fiber cover from a US seller on eBay for around $11... I think they can be had for around $7 out of China. It's the same type of carbon-fiber-like PU material as the last case in the OP, but goes NEARLY edge-to-edge with a very small FLAT-black edge left exposed. It's much more the look I was going for. I've not found it any Pebble or Alligator leather, but there are four color options (black, silver, pink, off-white). Just like the OP's back, it adds a bit of thickness (again level with the camera lens), but given the more premium feel of the material, texture, and color compared to the slick blue-grey-purple plastic of the stock back, I can live with the added thickness any day of the week. I'm going to pair this with a Mercury matte screen protector with black trim to really black-out my S4 and do away with as much of the blue-grey-purple "Black Mist" as possible.

These are the eBay seller's pictures, not mine:

carbons4back1.jpg

carbons4back3.jpg

carbons4back2.jpg

Reactions: CHUUZE

CHUUZE

Aug 11, 2011
CHUUZ3D Galaxy
Instead of trying to ScotchBrite or Paint the gloss black on my pebble-leather cover, I ended up getting this PU Carbon Fiber cover from a US seller on eBay for around $11... I think they can be had for around $7 out of China. It's the same type of carbon-fiber-like PU material as the last case in the OP, but goes NEARLY edge-to-edge with a very small FLAT-black edge left exposed. It's much more the look I was going for. I've not found it any Pebble or Alligator leather, but there are four color options (black, silver, pink, off-white). Just like the OP's back, it adds a bit of thickness (again level with the camera lens), but given the more premium feel of the material, texture, and color compared to the slick blue-grey-purple plastic of the stock back, I can live with the added thickness any day of the week. I'm going to pair this with a Mercury matte screen protector with black trim to really black-out my S4 and do away with as much of the blue-grey-purple "Black Mist" as possible.

carbons4back1.jpg

carbons4back3.jpg

carbons4back2.jpg

I saw this too on ebay only thing that prevented an immediate buy was the "s4" instead of the "s iv" (i liked the roman numerals) but great find

Sent from the CHUUZ3D Galaxy via XDA Premium

shopkins82

Jan 17, 2012
I saw this too on ebay only thing that prevented an immediate buy was the "s4" instead of the "s iv" (i liked the roman numerals) but great find

I'm fairly indifferent on "S4" vs. "S IV". The near edge-to-edge PU and no gloss-black were the major selling points for me. When I purchased I wasn't 100% sure if it was edge-to-edge PU or just molded plastic with a Carbon Fiber pattern/texture... I probably would have been happy either way. Coming from an LG Nitro HD with a great flat-black and heavily textured battery back, the snot-slick back of the S4 was a real let-down and something that had to be remedied quickly. The only thing that might replace this new cover is edge-to-edge pebble leather or saddle leather... a worn/distressed saddle brown leather would do it in a heartbeat but I've not seen anything like that for any phone.

Do you guys have ebay link for this cover?

Here is the US seller I purchased from for $10.99 shipped

Here is a Chinese seller for $7.99 shipped

th3xeroeagle

Sep 4, 2011
Montreal
hi, does this give a "better" feeling when the phone vibrates? because now it feels like there is a "hollow"/flimsy vibration feel when the phone receives notifications... thanks!

shopkins82

Jan 17, 2012
I never noticed the hollow feel, but it definitely rattles less when vibrating on a hard surface like a desk or table. It also feels much more secure in your hand thanks tocthe texture being much less slippery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Reactions: th3xeroeagle

CHUUZE

Aug 11, 2011
CHUUZ3D Galaxy
I never noticed the hollow feel, but it definitely rattles less when vibrating on a hard surface like a desk or table. It also feels much more secure in your hand thanks tocthe texture being much less slippery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

+1 it does rattle less on desk i think due to the softer back. Definitely agree that it feels more secure in my hands and less fingerprints on the back is a huge plus

Reactions: th3xeroeagle

th3xeroeagle

Sep 4, 2011
Montreal
Cool thanks! Does anybody have a "trusted" ebay seller for this that they bought from and are happy with the product? Because the Amazon link won't ship to Canada :'(

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
Just an update for anyone interested. A bit disappointed in this purchase. My cover turned out to be more slippery than the stock cover. Also made the device a little thicker, as mentioned. I could let go of the thickness if it added grip, but it does not. I will probably try to skin the stock cover or plastidip on my own. Want some extra grip, but don't want any added heft

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those of you that dislike the stock battery covers for you S IV, I found some nice looking replacements on amazon while browsing for accessories:

Blk Leather[Review Added 5/11/2013]
    http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Plastic-Material-Replacement-Battery/dp/B00CILRQO2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1367431609&sr=8-5&keywords=leather+replacement+cover+s4

uCbzpCAIevCN

GOxd68XRUyFz

HFe00LSa7IXF

OAtDT8A99tyC

xhqRj4YAEdTU

<<Click for new comparison images

Wht Leather [Review Added 5/11/2013]

http://www.amazon.com/Aftermarket-Product-Leather-Battery-Protective/dp/B00CIJ7A4K/ref=sr_1_11?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1367431661&sr=1-11&keywords=leather+replacement+cover+white+s4

Caal4mBDrFFA

uJjn9YXtTqng

zxy4MT2U7i6o

UDoZQy8Ylh4v

nIDPIzSgi6Um

Ov8dd894bU26

<<Click for new comparison images

***Review: Well I finally got the leather replacement covers in...The black version has an black leather-like material on the back. White version is slightly off white leather-like material. Cut outs and fittings are great. Camera and flash cutouts are more flush with the backing than stock so it seems like better protection from scratching when left on a table. Speaker cutout no longer has the slight bump that you feel on stock. I love the roman numeral "IV" opposed to the "4" that comes stock. Quality feels awesome and I can't leave finger prints on the back of my device now. Also my device isn't twinkling like a twilight vampire on the back (for me that's a plus). S-Beam and NFC still work with the aftermarket as well. Only gripe is that protective plastic cases no longer 100% fit now as the aftermarket battery cover is slightly thicker than stock.

Blk Carbon Fiber
    pics on attachment

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Material-Replacement-Battery-Samsung/dp/B00CILXESE/ref=sr_1_1?m=A11TB872LL3R2P&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1367431801&sr=1-1&keywords=black+carbon+fiber+s4

Wht Carbon Fiber
    31xsM9uWH0L._SY300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Material-Replacement-Battery-Samsung/dp/B00CIM700G/ref=sr_1_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1367431702&sr=1-3&keywords=carbon+fiber+replacement+cover+white+s4

***Review Added 5/16/2013*** Ok...so the carbon fiber variant finally came in. Shipping took a long time (from China) This black version of the carbon fiber replacement battery cover feels similar to the leather variants. I do believe the material is the same if not similar. It does feel nice in my hands and adds a little bit of bulk just as the leather ones did. The camera lens is protected with this cover as it was with the leather one and the speaker cutout is the same. I will use the black carbon fiber more than the leather (i'm a sucker for carbon fiber). I would recommend this over one of the carbon fiber skins as this will not semi peel off and annoy the s*** out of my hand. Installation was as easy as the leather variants and the battery door matches perfectly with my device. I am not worried about cleaning the black version as I don't feel like it can pick up dirt/grime very easily. Signal does not suffer from having the back cover on, NFC and S-Beam work fine as well.
    Oh wow !!
    did you end up ordering something?

I bought all 4 as my girlfriend got the white s4 and I got black mist. I personally wanted the phones to have a better feel to them and I see most reviews of the s4 people are whining about it as well. As soon as I get them in I will post a review of the fit and quality as the pics from amazon are not that detailed. The leather ones just kills it for me btw can't wait for that one.
    I just ordered the black carbon fiber one, can't wait!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app
    still holding up? how's the leather back cover, now that its been a couple of weeks? Mine STILL hasnt arrived (ordered may 1st, got sent the wrong one. Seller offered to send correct item, but its still not here. its been almost a month!)

Leather is holding up well on both the black leather and the black carbon fiber...

The white ones aren't being used because my girlfriend likes her case more and the battery covers prevent the case from being put on...

No issues other than the compatibility with plastic cases as mentioned in my review. Cases have no issues with dust or picking up oils from my hands. I love the look and feel so far.

carbons4back1.jpg

carbons4back3.jpg

carbons4back2.jpg