[APP][NO ROOT] HALauncher for Fire TV 1, 2, 3 & Cube

Search This thread

rainman74

Jul 31, 2016
Munich
I hereby discontinue support for my Fire TV Guides and Apps. I've been a big fan of Fire TV devices for the last 2-3 years, but Amazon has now with each firmware further limited the possibilities of a configurable Android environment and even destroyed standard Android commands. This goes too far for me now.

I can recommend the following devices to anyone who wants to have a reasonable and much better Android TV experience, which I now use myself and am enthusiastic about:
  • Mi Box
  • Mi Box S
  • Sony Android TV (ATV3 platform, eg. XF7, XF8, XF9 or higher)

Last edited:

xhostluv

Apr 8, 2015
@rainman74 hello, now is raining outside :)) can you tell me what app you have used to decomplile the application and recompile ? i have seen you have made modification only to AndroidManifest, you have inserted an intent filter.
<intent-filter>
<action
android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
<category
android:name="android.intent.category.HOME" />
<category
android:name="android.intent.category.DEFAULT" />
</intent-filter>

i have try many times to modified the android manifest decompile and recompile the apk with apk multi tool and fail to install the apk after recompile. with android studio i was only able to read

Last edited:

dondraper23

Feb 6, 2018
attachment.php

Thank you @xhostluv, by your idea I have tried the HALauncher on a Fire TV and this can be configured optimally as a Leanback-Launcher alternative.

Since the HALauncher is not recognized as a launcher app on a Fire TV, I modified the APK accordingly. This is now defined automatically as the default launcher of Fire OS (if only the HALauncher is still available and the Amazon Launcher has been deactivated or uninstalled).

If there are multiple launchers installed (but not the Amazon Launcher), the Fire OS launcher selection dialog will appear, for choosing which one you want! Alternatively, you can also choose the HALauncher via Launcher Hijack.

Modified version of HALauncher for Fire TV
View attachment 4446396

Modifications:
  • Recognition as Home-Launcher App on Fire TVs
  • Selectable via Fire OS 5 or Launcher Hijack
  • Ignore Updates

Great work! Thank you!

DESASTER75

Jan 30, 2011
Hi guys!
- brand new stick
- FireStarter, Kodi 17.6 and Build installed

Qs:
How am I able to ...
a) ... replace AMAZON-launcher by HALauncher?
a) ... get Kodi out of FireStarter to TV-sticks mainpage (to avoid the step to start FireStarter first)
b) ... get Kodi-Build-logo (build: NoLimits) to TV-sticks mainpage (to avoid the step through FireStarter/Kodi)
c) ... get Kodi-Build (build: NoLinits) autoload while powering up TV-Stick
d) ... get that Homebutton-thing working again (2x Build and 1x regular Stick-Menü [or vise versa])

Thx

rainman74

Jul 31, 2016
Munich
Hi guys!
- brand new stick
- FireStarter, Kodi 17.6 and Build installed

Qs:
How am I able to ...
a) ... replace AMAZON-launcher by HALauncher?
a) ... get Kodi out of FireStarter to TV-sticks mainpage (to avoid the step to start FireStarter first)
b) ... get Kodi-Build-logo (build: NoLimits) to TV-sticks mainpage (to avoid the step through FireStarter/Kodi)
c) ... get Kodi-Build (build: NoLinits) autoload while powering up TV-Stick
d) ... get that Homebutton-thing working again (2x Build and 1x regular Stick-Menü [or vise versa])

Thx

Look around, your questions are all explained in this forum ;)

DESASTER75

Jan 30, 2011
I have already red nearly everything and tried a lot but with no success... :(
Maybe you/someone might be able to give me a short help (links/tuts).

DESASTER75

Jan 30, 2011
- FireTV-Stick (2nd; Alexa voice)
- latest Firmware
- no root
- latest FireStarter
- Kodi 17.6
- latest NoLimits-Build

Problem:
a) to get into NoLimits-build I do have to start FireStarter - Kodi - Build
--- Would like to have NoLimits-shortcut directly on Stick-mainpage within Apps

b) the homebutton-issue
2x home = NoLimits-build will show up
1x home = regular AMAZON-mainpage will show up

rainman74

Jul 31, 2016
Munich
- FireTV-Stick (2nd; Alexa voice)
- latest Firmware
- no root
- latest FireStarter
- Kodi 17.6
- latest NoLimits-Build

Problem:
a) to get into NoLimits-build I do have to start FireStarter - Kodi - Build
--- Would like to have NoLimits-shortcut directly on Stick-mainpage within Apps

b) the homebutton-issue
2x home = NoLimits-build will show up
1x home = regular AMAZON-mainpage will show up

Since you have the latest firmware 5.2.6.2 without root, many settings and hacks won't work anymore. You don't have to try around much anymore, it's pointless :(

DESASTER75

Jan 30, 2011
Hi! Bad luck!
Any chance to root device now and get some stuff running/working WITHOUT deleting data? Would that work or what I do have to do?

rainman74

Jul 31, 2016
Munich
Hi! Bad luck!
Any chance to root device now and get some stuff running/working WITHOUT deleting data? Would that work or what I do have to do?

No, I can recommend the purchase of a Fire TV stick or box on eBay (worldwide) that has blocked updates and an older firmware, e.g. 5.2.6.0 or better lower! So you can also replace the Amazon TV Launcher, etc.

Otherwise I can recommend these two devices:
HIMEDIA Q30
HIMEDIA Q5 PRO

Last edited:

t3chg33k

Jan 6, 2011
Almost became my FireTV3 replacement launcher but (no fault of the app) there is no shortcut for Prime Video content.

Great work with this though. Will be using it on my FT2

I thought that Launcher Hijack didn't work on AFTV3 which prevented any launcher from becoming a true replacement. Even though AppStarter can be used to launch on boot, the Home button invariably takes one back to the default home screen.

Is any workaround present?

SyCoREAPER

Retired Forum Moderator
I thought that Launcher Hijack didn't work on AFTV3 which prevented any launcher from becoming a true replacement. Even though AppStarter can be used to launch on boot, the Home button invariably takes one back to the default home screen.

Is any workaround present?

Yes and no. No as in not in the traditional sense.

I have my Harmony Hub (remote) macro'd to position and enter the launcher

t3chg33k

Jan 6, 2011
Haven't tried it yet but does Fire OS provide the accessibility settings needed by Tasker to intercept button presses?

Edit: To clarify, Fire OS doesn't have the standard Android accessibility services menu, so can Tasker operate and intercept inputs without it?

Last edited:

rainman74

Jul 31, 2016
Munich
Haven't tried it yet but does Fire OS provide the accessibility settings needed by Tasker to intercept button presses?

Edit: To clarify, Fire OS doesn't have the standard Android accessibility services menu, so can Tasker operate and intercept inputs without it?

It's been a long time, but I think you could catch and rededicate the home button on a Fire TV box and stick 1 & 2 with Llama. Maybe someone can test it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I hereby discontinue support for my Fire TV Guides and Apps. I've been a big fan of Fire TV devices for the last 2-3 years, but Amazon has now with each firmware further limited the possibilities of a configurable Android environment and even destroyed standard Android commands. This goes too far for me now.

I can recommend the following devices to anyone who wants to have a reasonable and much better Android TV experience, which I now use myself and am enthusiastic about:
    • Mi Box
    • Mi Box S
    • Sony Android TV (ATV3 platform, eg. XF7, XF8, XF9 or higher)
    Almost became my FireTV3 replacement launcher but (no fault of the app) there is no shortcut for Prime Video content.

Great work with this though. Will be using it on my FT2

Install this app, so you should also see Prime in HALaucher: Amazon Prime Video standalone app for Fire TV
    So is there still a way to disable or uninstall the amazon tv launcher if firmware is up to date on fire stick gen2? I'm guessing not?

Ask bibikalka if he can disguise the HALLauncher as com.amazon.tv.launcher and provide an installable APK. He'd experimented with something like this before.

Alternatively, he could consider installing a dummy APK with the same package name instead, which is not a launcher. Then the installed HAL would be used as launcher.

It's all theory.
    I have remodified halauncher.
    It now works on the cube with my custom launcher hijack... Mostly...

The back button bug is still there but not nearly as bad as it was, and the settings button to go to FireTV settings works.

I'm going to keep trying to make it work 100% but due to the device being connected to my living room TV, my testing time is limited.
    I haven't released it yet.