[Q] HTC Wldfire witout a data plan??

Search This thread

Starges

Hi,

I was just wondering, since the Htc wildfire has not yer arrived in my country, is it possible for me to purchase an unlocked wildfire and use it without a data plan?? :confused:

i am able to do so with my blackberry. I can make calls and even access the mobile internet on my blackberry without a data plan. ;) ;)

So, is it possible to do the same with a wildfire, even when rooted and on a custom rom??

Please help...! :confused::confused:

brilldoctor

Aug 6, 2010
Yes when you set it up it asks u if u want mobile network and WiFi or WiFi only

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using XDA App

Starges

Yes when you set it up it asks u if u want mobile network and WiFi or WiFi only

Thank you for replying..

So all i need to do is to choose the wifi only??

Isn't it possible to use a browser (like opera mini as i do on the blackberry) to bypass the mobile network restrictions?? Because in the blackberry, since i cannot use the phone's browser, i use opera mini to bypass the mobile network restrictions and i'm able to browse using the mobile network..

Kindly reply..

blueshirt

Oct 6, 2010
Someone do correct me if I'm wrong...

The only devices sold here with data plan are iPhone and BlackBerries. Others can be bought with/without contract which may or may not require additional data plan. You can use the phone with WiFi only option in which case you can browse and use applications which require network access free of charge. You can use the cell phone without data plan as well but it usually costs a fortune (at least here) to do so. You can turn on network connection and if your device if configured properly you'll be able to do everything you want. It would be the best to get at least the cheapest data plan if you're planning on using any features which require internet access.

brilldoctor

Aug 6, 2010
Thank you for replying..

So all i need to do is to choose the wifi only??

Isn't it possible to use a browser (like opera mini as i do on the blackberry) to bypass the mobile network restrictions?? Because in the blackberry, since i cannot use the phone's browser, i use opera mini to bypass the mobile network restrictions and i'm able to browse using the mobile network..

Kindly reply..

No opera mini only works with mobile network on. anyway here is a screendshot of the setup page.

deviceoq.png

if you scroll down you can see this

devicey.png

you can always turn on mobile network by pressing and holding the power button, and scrolling down to the bottom

device.png

Starges

The only devices sold here with data plan are iPhone and BlackBerries. Others can be bought with/without contract which may or may not require additional data plan. You can use the phone with WiFi only option in which case you can browse and use applications which require network access free of charge. You can use the cell phone without data plan as well but it usually costs a fortune (at least here) to do so. You can turn on network connection and if your device if configured properly you'll be able to do everything you want. It would be the best to get at least the cheapest data plan if you're planning on using any features which require internet access.

Ahh, i see now. So that means i can still use the mobile network if i have the specific settings t connect to the network's internet, even without a data plan...? IF so, then that is very good news for me... :D :D

brilldoctor

Aug 6, 2010
Ahh, i see now. So that means i can still use the mobile network if i have the specific settings t connect to the network's internet, even without a data plan...? IF so, then that is very good news for me... :D :D

you can but you will be charged (in the uk its £3 per MB). if you go down this or the data plan option, i would advise getting 3g watchdog due the the fact that the wildfire has 3g and can use the network to get more data than a 2g blackberry (most of them are 2g) in the space of 5 mins. the wildfire also has 2g (and you can get a data plan for the wildfire - i have one)

blueshirt

Oct 6, 2010
Yes, you can connect to the internet without data plan if your network settings are set correctly. However, I strongly advise you NOT to do it unless you have a data plan or are connecting through wi-fi at home/work. As brilldoctor said, it's the most expensive option and the data transfer is charged per 100 kB here (as far as I know). Do set your phone not to do automatic/background sync/update if you don't have a data plan. I used my phone for a week with wi-fi only option. So, I used it normally for phone calls/texting while away and it would automatically connect to my network and sync/update data when I got home. I also recommend you to get 3G Watchdog or Stats to monitor your usage. Do set a limit so you don't over do it.

thunderskain

Mar 14, 2010

The only devices sold here with data plan are iPhone and BlackBerries. Others can be bought with/without contract which may or may not require additional data plan.

Well its still possible to buy an iPhone or blackberry without a data plan though the people there might discourage you from doing so.

blueshirt

Oct 6, 2010
Well its still possible to buy an iPhone or blackberry without a data plan though the people there might discourage you from doing so.

Most certainly it is possible. You can buy both unlocked and use it on your deisired mobile operator. BlackBerries aren't usually used that way, but iPhone is. Many people get burned with Androids/iPhone due to fact they are net oriented and do some tasks in the background. They get them without data plan, check a few things out and think how cool it is and then they get a bill. :(

brilldoctor

Aug 6, 2010
If you do go down the data plan route watch out for nasty fair usage policies (hint: 3g watchdog and apndroid)