[Toolkit] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v. 2.1.9

Search This thread

ShaneAR

Jul 21, 2012
Has anyone ever lost root for no apparent reason?

I was on stock 4.3 unlocked (Original N7) and did the root process. It all seemed fine as I installed some apps I use when rooted (adaway, Titanium Backup, Trikstermod etc) and they seemed fine. Then, all the sudden root was gone. Weird.

Anyway, I'm going to run it again and go from there...

EDIT: Rerooting didn't help. So, I'll try unrooting and back to stock, then try again.

EDIT # 2: Out of curiosity, has the install process for busybox been changed? It's been awhile since I've last used this, but it installed in seconds compared to a minute or so previously...

EDIT 3: Found out the issue was with M-kernel. a58 and a59 break root. Not sure yet about a60.

Last edited:

melfunn

Jan 29, 2008
For those trying to use the Root w/ Recovery button and ending up stuck w/ the dead android man instead of the TWRP menu, try, in options, checking img and zip boxes under Associated files. That helped me to load the TWRP menu and thus install the root zip file. It's worth a try.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

barbo

Sep 17, 2008
NY
one step forward, two steps back

Well... I decided to try using my laptop instead of my desktop and voila: I got past the adb checking (finally). All looked well and then just like Amarali123, the command prompt said a few files (boot, recovery, system sigs) were not in the archive then it continued on a bit and everything stopped at this: sending 'system' then after at least 20 of nothing happening, I closed the command window and hit Flash stock & root but this time from "soft brick" then I got an error message saying "fastboot stopped working", Then it said rebooting into bootloader failed. Will 1.6.7 help me when it comes out? I don't have the knowledge of others regarding extracting and flashing stuff so I think I am out of tricks.

Coming from PAC, I wanted to go ahead and revert back to stock using your tool. For some reason, downloading the .zip of the 4.3 image off Google's site didn't work -- the command prompt kept saying that boot.sig and a few others weren't found. So I went into the archive and extracted those in the same folder and it went ahead and flashed it, but I got stuck on the boot-up animation for over 20 minutes.

I went into the Toolkit again and chose flash stock/unroot but with the boot loop option checked and after a few operations went well, I got a archive does not contain boot.sig, recovery.sig and system.sig; error: out of memory.

Recovery gets me to a dead droid with a red triangle. Can't flash a custom recover either, because the device isn't adb recognized by the kit (I guess because I can't turn on USB debugging).

What do I do :confused:

Thompcd

Jul 8, 2012
Tulsa
I also had this problem, it seemed like it went into a deep sleep and the power button wouldn't wake it. I was trying to unlock, and then it seemed to just... stop.

All I did was make sure to hold the power ONLY for like 20-30 seconds (seemed like an eternity) and then it finally resumed normal bootup.

Hi Wugs or someone else

.I was going from a rooted 4.2.2 to 4.3 when it stopped at the fastboot mode stage
where you have the options of recovery mode = start and power off

well i tried the start loads of times and it did not start so in the end i thought i would power off and start over

sadly the nexus never ever comes back on again
i only see a black screen and cannot do the power and vol up or down

pc does not recognise it but i dont have mabe the correct drivers

please can this device come back from its deep sleep

please some pointers what to do

Amarali123

Apr 9, 2013
I woke up to a potentially bricked device, what the flux? I actually finally got stock Android 4.3 and rooted it just fine last night. The device was running okay and everything. I went to sleep and woke up to a powered off PC and the N4's LED showing red. The PC now recognizes the device as QSHUSB_DLOAD and it just won't power up anymore.

Funny, because it must have happened out of thin air (mostly).

Coming from PAC, I wanted to go ahead and revert back to stock using your tool. For some reason, downloading the .zip of the 4.3 image off Google's site didn't work -- the command prompt kept saying that boot.sig and a few others weren't found. So I went into the archive and extracted those in the same folder and it went ahead and flashed it, but I got stuck on the boot-up animation for over 20 minutes.

I went into the Toolkit again and chose flash stock/unroot but with the boot loop option checked and after a few operations went well, I got a archive does not contain boot.sig, recovery.sig and system.sig; error: out of memory.

Recovery gets me to a dead droid with a red triangle. Can't flash a custom recover either, because the device isn't adb recognized by the kit (I guess because I can't turn on USB debugging).

What do I do :confused:

cpomd

Aug 4, 2011
conclusion

Just use "flash stock + unroot".

{{ WugFresh }}

I have posted about how slow and unuseable it was after doing the above to 4.3 but cannot find it (finger problems maybe) so in conclusion I followed above instructions except that this time I flashed stock 4.22 which allowed me to update to 4.3 alls well that ends well. many thanks

mmvic

Sep 27, 2011
Thanks for this Wig!

Just rooted my new nexus7 v2, what a great tool

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

AlexM555

Jan 19, 2009
Thanks for the 4.3 update in your 1.6.6 toolkit.... My Asus Nexus 7 updated without a hitch and runs beautifully!

Edit: I am surprised that my OTA 4.3.3 update went without a hitch and updated my Nexus 7 without any errors. It was then a simple matter to run WugFresh's 1.6.6 toolkit to root my tablet.... In previous updates, I would get an error message when I'd try to do the OTA. This time, everything ran without a hitch....weird, but welcome. :)

Last edited:
I was unlocked and rooted with Toolkit v 1.6.3
Running stock 4.2.2 with TWRP recovery and Franco kernel. N7 2012.

I used 1.66 to restore the stock recovery. Rebooted. Tapped on the install update button (in the 4.3 ota notification bar) and the install started, then failed.

So I restored the stock kernel. Now I have no notification and checking status shows that I am up to date, even though I have 4.2.2.

Also, I tried booting into recovery and get the dead android with red exclamation and a "no command" error message. So I restored TWRP and at least have a recovery now.

So, any pointers on how I might be able to get the ota again; and any ideas as to why stock recovery won't boot? Well, actually I guess the ota is still in my /cache directory; but how to activate it?

Thanks!

melfunn

Jan 29, 2008
How did you do this without getting the dead android?

Did the TWRP screen load up OK?

If you are trying to use root with recovery and ends up with dead android man and not the TWRP menu, try this. In Options, check the img & zip boxes under Associated File extension. It worked for me.

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
If you are trying to use root with recovery and ends up with dead android man and not the TWRP menu, try this. In Options, check the img & zip boxes under Associated File extension. It worked for me.

This did not work for me in restoring stock recovery.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

So, any pointers on how I might be able to get the ota again ...

Go to Settings->Apps->All, force stop and clear data for GoogleServiceFramework, then go to About Tablet->System Update to check update, you should get 4.3 to download again.

[Afterward, if you have problem downloading/updating apps from the GooglePlay store, go to Settings->Accounts and delete then re-add your Google account].

But unless you have stock recovery restored, installation of 4.3 will continue to fail. At this point it appears that the only potential way to restore stock recovery is to restore stock ROM (and it would be great to get confirmation from someone who has taken this path with NRT 1.6.x), or simply to wait for the problem to get fixed in some next release of NRT.

Last edited:

mmvic

Sep 27, 2011
I did get the dead android,
I think this is what I did...

Unplug it, hold power button to turn off.
Boot into fastboot by holding vol down and power, push power button once screen comes on.
On tool kit go to advanced settings, in middle column click fastboot then boot into recovery, latest update.
In twrp just restart system.
Then continue to root

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

This did not work for me in restoring stock recovery.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

Go to Settings->Apps->All, force stop and clear data for GoogleServiceFramework, then go to About Tablet->System Update to check update, you should get 4.3 to download again.

[Afterward, if you have problem downloading/updating apps from the GooglePlay store, go to Settings->Accounts and delete then re-add your Google account].

But unless you have stock recovery restored, installation of 4.3 will continue to fail.

Thanks for the reply, Digixmax. My understanding is that the GoogleServiceFramework hack messed up notifications. Not so?

Re having a stock recovery; I did restore the stock recovery but am unable to boot into it. Dead android with (!). :( Which is why I reflashed TWRP for the time being.

c0080900v

Dec 9, 2011
I haven't re-rooted my N7 since the 4.2.2 ota update. Pretty sure it broke root, I'm on 4.3 OTA now.

Would I have to re-unlock my bootloader, my bootloader's still unlocked. So I'm wondering if I should bother, or unroot and re-root it.

The only thing is I want to back-up my Plants VS Zombies progress/profiles before proceeding. ES File Explorer couldn't back it up, Titanium Requires root pretty sure. How should I go about this without losing the progress, it's the only thing I don't want to lose, I've got myself covered for everything else.

Sblesh

Jan 5, 2011
I haven't re-rooted my N7 since the 4.2.2 ota update. Pretty sure it broke root, I'm on 4.3 OTA now.

Would I have to re-unlock my bootloader, my bootloader's still unlocked. So I'm wondering if I should bother, or unroot and re-root it.

The only thing is I want to back-up my Plants VS Zombies progress/profiles before proceeding. ES File Explorer couldn't back it up, Titanium Requires root pretty sure. How should I go about this without losing the progress, it's the only thing I don't want to lose, I've got myself covered for everything else.

Theoretically with the new play services and "app data" in Google account you should be able to delete PvZ and reinstall it without losing data, because the app data save score achievements etc on cloud.
But I'm not sure, so be careful!

c0080900v

Dec 9, 2011
Theoretically with the new play services and "app data" in Google account you should be able to delete PvZ and reinstall it without losing data, because the app data save score achievements etc on cloud.
But I'm not sure, so be careful!

Pretty sure the app dev/game dev has to support app data sync.

I only have my N7 as my only Android device.

I'll try it on a friend's phone, with their permission of course. Login and install PvZ in hopes that the data syncs over just to verify.

Thank you for your reply and trying to assist, much appreciated.

passlogin

Sep 18, 2012
Goa
Potential fix for "checking ADB status"

Like some others on here, I kept getting stuck on checking ADB status while using the NRT and I figured out a way to fix it.

I am using a nexus 7 2012 32gb wifi 4.3, running windows 7 64 bit and it's possbile the ADB drivers being installed by the NRT were 32 bit, although I'm not entirely sure...regardless here's what I did to fix it:

-First disable Windows Automatic Driver Installation (you can re-enable it after the fix). Guide here
-Follow step 1 of the Full driver installation guide within the NRT and reboot
-Install the essential ADB driver install found here
-Plug in your nexus 7, run the essential ADB driver program and let it install the correct driver

You should know be able to proceed using NRT without any hiccups, particularly on the "checking ADB status" bits.

Regards

Last edited:
Reactions: WugFresh and barbo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Unlocking, rooting, relocking and unrooting simplified! (and much more!)

VERSION 2.1.4 - This program will automatically bring together all the files you need to unlock and root your device in a few clicks, or flash it back to stock and re-lock it. You can also use this program to backup/restore all your important data, flash zips, set file permissions, push and pull files, install apps, generate logcats/bugreports, and much more! With the included file association options, you can perform tasks like flashing zips, installing apps, restoring android backup files, and flashing/booting img files with just a double click! The program includes a full featured interface for automating tasks in TWRP, enhanced restore features, an in-built auto-updater/notification system, ‘any build’ mode, advanced restore features,’NRT- Live Log’ for viewing the adb/fastboot cmds that are run in the background, quick tools utilities, and tools for taking screenshots/screen-recordings. All the latest official Android builds and Nexus devices are supported. The program intelligently and selectively downloads the files it needs for your device and makes sure you are using the latest files available. The program can even auto-detect your device and build. This release brings full Marshmallow root support plus all automated features by utilizing a new system that no longer requires modified boot.imgs. Check out the updated changelog for a more comprehensive breakdown of the feature set and changes in this release.

~ my goal for this project is make the entire process as smooth and simple as possible ~

https%3A%2F%2Fxdaforums.com%2Fimg.xda-cdn.com%2FGjk3UTsOYMSzkx4KT3SZlCiruqY%3D%2Fhttp%253A%252F%252Fi.imgur.com%252FGDhJYE8.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fxdaforums.com%2Fimg.xda-cdn.com%2FpzfGGfwJWl0dnds_9og1tODaVzU%3D%2Fhttp%253A%252F%252Fi.imgur.com%252Fq1o1kav.jpg

Please read the FAQs before posting questions: http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/faqs/

Looking for a walk-through? >> Excellent Instructional/How-To Videos: http://www.wugfresh.com/videos/

More information & Download Links: http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

Changelog: http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/changelog/

Enjoy! ^_^

{{ WugFresh }}
    Hey, great work! Have you ever thought about making a mac or linux port? I'd really love to help you make one!

Email me: stevepink8@gmail.com
    For those of you who have 1.5.5 already, the 1.6.0 update package is officially live now. I am updating my site right now with new information and the full version.

I was able to do everything I set out to do in this release. Support for the Nexus 10, 4, new 3G Nexus 7. 4.2.0 support, and what I spent the most time on - a fully web backed system, that autograbs the latest files the toolkit needs, and populates everything from text files I maintain on the web, making keeping the toolkit updated with the latest files nearly instantaneous.

Lots more info coming. Enjoy ^_^

p.s. thank you all for your patience.

{{ WugFresh }}
    Working on it now. Been really busy though with another project though; https://capsules.io/ks.html

I will try my best to get the toolkit updated asap in my limited free time. There are some other changes/updates I need to integrate as well, but not too many. Cheers.

{{ WugFresh }}

Coding went pretty smooth this round. v1.8.3 is up. (Yes, it supports 4.4.3)

Enjoy ^_^

{{ WugFresh }}
    Ok, so my coding is going really well today. I really think I will be done tonight. Yay!

A word to the wise though; The program now uses Goo.im as the backend for everything because my host just couldn't handle it. They were nice enough to allocate me a large quantity of direct downloads (more than enough) through the program, but there is a daily cap; 30 per day per unique IP. That said, triggering a check for update, will register as a download because it downloads a small text file. So I recommend against checking for updates repeatedly today because your IP will get blocked and when the update is actually out later tonight you won't be able to use the updater, and will have to download the full version.

That said, the full version is going to be SIGNIFICANTLY smaller. The toolkit will now be entirely backed by an automated file list on the web. This means, the toolkit will only grab the files it needs. So if you only have a Gnex, it won't come with all the files for every single nexus device, but rather.. it will download them when you select that in the toolkit (if it doesn't detect them already in the local directory).

The device and build lists will now be populated from a text file that the toolkit can grab from the web. That means, in the future when a new build comes out, I can make it so the toolkit self updates within 20 minutes with everything it needs, and that build will be listed. Same goes for autoupdating CWM, TWRP, and SuperSU. The toolkit will therefore will always be up to date with the latest files. And I wont have to go crazy hard coding all of this like I have been.

Ok.. Back to coding for me. Thank you all for your patience. The slight delays in this release will ultimately speed up all future updates forever. ^_^

{{ WugFresh }}