[Q] Sony Xperia TL [LT30at] - Need to free it from AT&T

Search This thread

mickyrox

Apr 10, 2014
Hello Community!!

Noobiest noob here. Please forgive my ignorance.

Sony Xperia TL [LT30at] AT & T phone.
Android version: 4.1.2
Build: 9.1.F.1.120

Here is my issue:

I now need to use this phone in India with a different network provider, but i don't want to spend money on unlocking the phone for a new sim card. I read a bit about flashing a custom ROM and watched Jeremy Phan's video: "3 ways to root your (xperia) android: tool kits, kernel flashing, recovery"

I installed sony's pc companion and update service, i also installed the flash tool on my machine.

a) will flashing the phone do the trick?
b) if so i'm having a tough time finding the right firmware for this phone. Please link me to a robust and hazel free firmware for my phone.

thanks a ton
micky

Summer Son

Jun 26, 2012
Hi Micky,

You cant unlock your phone (remove SIM lock) from the operator by reflashing it. You will need an unlock code for that. A legal way is to obtain it from AT&T if your contract is ended, the other one is to buy it, e.g. on eBay. Once you'll get it, just enter a simple key combination to get into service menu, go to appropriate menu item and enter that code there, after that your phone is unlocked, no reflash needed.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: mickyrox

mickyrox

Apr 10, 2014
Hi summer,

Thanks a lot for your insight. I've been searching all the corners of the internet for a while now, with a vengance :eek: I think it should be time to drop those efforts.

Please bear with me, i'm trying to think out loud here - Is there no way i can tweak the phone to accept any sim card? Like by disabling a few settings or hard coding some part after gaining root access?

Buying an unlock code is not an option for me at this point, and i don't want to use the phone just to check email and take pictures ;)

many thanks

Summer Son

Jun 26, 2012
SIM lock information is not stored somewhere in firmware, which you can access by gaining root permissions. I assume there may be some tricks similar to Turbo SIM in iPhone where you can emulate the correct SIM, but its definitely not worth it.

Reactions: mickyrox

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Micky,

You cant unlock your phone (remove SIM lock) from the operator by reflashing it. You will need an unlock code for that. A legal way is to obtain it from AT&T if your contract is ended, the other one is to buy it, e.g. on eBay. Once you'll get it, just enter a simple key combination to get into service menu, go to appropriate menu item and enter that code there, after that your phone is unlocked, no reflash needed.

Hope that helps.
    SIM lock information is not stored somewhere in firmware, which you can access by gaining root permissions. I assume there may be some tricks similar to Turbo SIM in iPhone where you can emulate the correct SIM, but its definitely not worth it.