Linux and Android for Vogue [kernel thread]

Search This thread

ryanbg

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 3, 2008
movr0.com
If proper drivers and radio are written, does that mean we will be able to run our Vogues through haret entirely, or would it be required to run natively? Also, if anyone knows, what is the status on that Virtual Blackberry OS announced last summer?

Psionfenix

Nov 11, 2007
Las Vegas
You would be able to run through haret entirely, probably. But not for long. With wince running in the background, you're going to eat up all your ram pretty quickly. I'd figure the next step (after it's fully working) is to turn it into a rom to flash it on the bootloader so it runs natively.

FastRX8

Feb 5, 2007
Texas
I'm getting a error message *Cannot Open Script file * what can I do to fix this?
A little more info would be helpful.
Which device are you running?

I installed this on my Sprint Touch, and it starts right up, no problems.
I did exactly what mswlogo posted.
The files should look like this on your device's root folder.
zImage
initrd-android
haret.exe
default.txt

and then run "haret.exe"

I did not open any other files, and I only removed the .txt extension from zImage and initrd-android.

juiceppc

Nov 22, 2005
It's great you guys are adventurous enough to do this. And I have nothing against pioneering but you people are getting so excited over a basic shell if that. Thanks but I prefer my phone to be usable with hundreds of thousands of applications to choose from... Can you whip up that many apps real quick like? For some reason people think there are a zillion people waiting to program for Android and not for Windows Mobile... That's not the case. It will take YEARS before Android is competitive if at all. And most of the apps are going to look all homebrew and rudamentary. Hopefully I'm wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: Ulumia

mswlogo

Dec 15, 2004
Boston
I mostly use standard stuff and I would expect standard stuff to come along pretty quickly.

Browsing
Weather
Advanced Calculator
AIM
Tether
GPS Navagation
Email
Phone
Calendar
Contacts
Syncing

I could have lived with the iPhone (I tried) if it had Sprint Speed and Sprint Price for plans.

If anything it puts pressure on Microsoft.

Psionfenix

Nov 11, 2007
Las Vegas
the beauty of open source is everyone can work on it/modify it. sure, when android hits there won't be as many apps for it as WinMo, but i bet it will make better use of the RAM. In time, there will be many many apps for it, right now, we're just basically going for sneak peeks, as it were. My only issue with android is the java...i'm not a huge fan, but we'll see i guess.

But with even desktop OSes, you are entitles to use what you like. You don't like android, use WinMo, you dont like winmo, use android. Personally, i'll be on the android drive train (though i'll probably modify it heavily)

dawilliams660

Apr 22, 2007
Orange, CA
A little more info would be helpful.
Which device are you running?

I installed this on my Sprint Touch, and it starts right up, no problems.
I did exactly what mswlogo posted.
The files should look like this on your device's root folder.
zImage
initrd-android
haret.exe
default.txt

and then run "haret.exe"

I did not open any other files, and I only removed the .txt extension from zImage and initrd-android.

I have a Sprint Touch and yes I did what mswlogo said and i'm still getting the error, i'm going to try this again to see if I can get this to work

Got it to work....thanks guys

Last edited:

Psionfenix

Nov 11, 2007
Las Vegas
double check to make sure you have the available ram, make sure default.txt is set up exactly as it is on the website (just right click save as and move it over again). Then post exactly what the error says.

jim256

Nov 26, 2007
It's great you guys are adventurous enough to do this. And I have nothing against pioneering but you people are getting so excited over a basic shell if that. Thanks but I prefer my phone to be usable with hundreds of thousands of applications to choose from... Can you whip up that many apps real quick like? For some reason people think there are a zillion people waiting to program for Android and not for Windows Mobile... That's not the case. It will take YEARS before Android is competitive if at all. And most of the apps are going to look all homebrew and rudamentary. Hopefully I'm wrong.

useless comment ^

to say it will take "YEARS" for Android to be competitive probably would make you wrong...but this is just the beginning of things and thats how all this stuff came to be and is developed.

like it has been said, were just going for a sneak peak...it doesnt cost anything, just install and run and see whats coming...why not?

not to mention 70% of the available winmo apps are kinda crap...and android will blow away winmo in a matter of months after being released (try reading about it! :) )(unless winmo 7 comes to be what it is supposed to - then it will be more neck and neck).

keep up the good work and innovation guys! :)

Psionfenix

Nov 11, 2007
Las Vegas
True. There are a ton of linux geeks out there that will be popping programs out like rabbits. I'll probably be one of them. I hate MS. I always have. They've shafted me out of more money than i'd care to admit. They're nearly as bad as the IRS. :p

Anyway, linux is, and always will be, faster, more stable, and just plain better than windows. The only limitations are the hardware. WM7 might come out with new devices with multitouch screens...guess what, android will be ported on to that as well. You dont like how a program works in WinMo? Tough luck. But in linux, you can change it to work better/do more.

jim256

Nov 26, 2007
True. There are a ton of linux geeks out there that will be popping programs out like rabbits. I'll probably be one of them. I hate MS. I always have. They've shafted me out of more money than i'd care to admit. They're nearly as bad as the IRS. :p

Anyway, linux is, and always will be, faster, more stable, and just plain better than windows. The only limitations are the hardware. WM7 might come out with new devices with multitouch screens...guess what, android will be ported on to that as well. You dont like how a program works in WinMo? Tough luck. But in linux, you can change it to work better/do more.

yes thank you, couldn't have said it better myself :) perfect. thats exactly what im saying :) go open source/common ppl! ms stinks

Psionfenix

Nov 11, 2007
Las Vegas
microsoft has it niche. They have quite the development base in redmond, not to mention those that make stuff here and at ppcgeeks. When android is out will WM be left in the dust? No. Will android or symbian be left in the dust? No. Everyone has their own particular tastes, mine just happen to not flow very well with MS. Part of the thing with some of the developers here making programs for WM, is that android isn't out yet. Will they all move to android to program? No. Will some? absolutely. It will of course take some time for android to get "up to par" with WM, maybe a few months. Maybe a year (unlikely, though). The thing is, WM has been out in some form or another (WinCe included) for years. Android will be NEW. So yes, it will take some time for programs to become available. That, in part, is why they're doing the developer challenge and have released the SDK already, so people can start working on it. Now, don't get me wrong, I think winmo is nice, but it's not open source. I can't modify programs to suit my needs. I think it's a bit too slow (could be in part to me using a 6800 with 64MB of ram, still angers me).

Now, if you've used linux on the desktop, you'll find that it is MUCH better, once you learn to use it a bit. For instance, I had to restart my winxp box every few days, or it would be ridiculously slow. I've been running linux only since easter, and have had to reset once (due to updates) and have to reset once again (for updates again). My system doesnt hang, it's still blazing fast, and if i have an issue that i can't figure out, I can read a manual on it, if i need a program, sudo apt-get. Easy as that, usually. If not, enter the terminal cd to the directory, run a few commands, and you're good to go. Plus, you can opitmize the kernel and rebuild it if you want/need. Can you do that in windows? Not even close. When android hits, I'll be taking the kernel and modifying it to include what I want, and not include what i dont want/need. Extra storage space is always nice.

Considering there are already quite a few programs for linux pda's and cells, it wont be long until they get ported over, or remade to work on android. I won't lie, MS has it's niche, especially on the desktop. People don't want to learn to use a computer to it's full capacity. They want to sit down, point, click, get what they want, and move on. But for me, my computer is my life, second only to my son. I could never fully go back to windows. As is, I only boot into windows to flash a new rom (or update my kitchen).

Last edited:

jim256

Nov 26, 2007
microsoft has it niche. They have quite the development base in redmond, not to mention those that make stuff here and at ppcgeeks. When android is out will WM be left in the dust? No. Will android or symbian be left in the dust? No. Everyone has their own particular tastes, mine just happen to not flow very well with MS. Part of the thing with some of the developers here making programs for WM, is that android isn't out yet. Will they all move to android to program? No. Will some? absolutely. It will of course take some time for android to get "up to par" with WM, maybe a few months. Maybe a year (unlikely, though). The thing is, WM has been out in some form or another (WinCe included) for years. Android will be NEW. So yes, it will take some time for programs to become available. That, in part, is why they're doing the developer challenge and have released the SDK already, so people can start working on it. Now, don't get me wrong, I think winmo is nice, but it's not open source. I can't modify programs to suit my needs. I think it's a bit too slow (could be in part to me using a 6800 with 64MB of ram, still angers me).

Now, if you've used linux on the desktop, you'll find that it is MUCH better, once you learn to use it a bit. For instance, I had to restart my winxp box every few days, or it would be ridiculously slow. I've been running linux only since easter, and have had to reset once (due to updates) and have to reset once again (for updates again). My system doesnt hang, it's still blazing fast, and if i have an issue that i can't figure out, I can read a manual on it, if i need a program, sudo apt-get. Easy as that, usually. If not, enter the terminal cd to the directory, run a few commands, and you're good to go. Plus, you can opitmize the kernel and rebuild it if you want/need. Can you do that in windows? Not even close. When android hits, I'll be taking the kernel and modifying it to include what I want, and not include what i dont want/need. Extra storage space is always nice.

Considering there are already quite a few programs for linux pda's and cells, it wont be long until they get ported over, or remade to work on android. I won't lie, MS has it's niche, especially on the desktop. People don't want to learn to use a computer to it's full capacity. They want to sit down, point, click, get what they want, and move on. But for me, my computer is my life, second only to my son. I could never fully go back to windows. As is, I only boot into windows to flash a new rom (or update my kitchen).

i was running linux on my box up until a few months ago, when i got raid on my system. i definitely liked it (though it was hard to get used to at first :) ), but once i updated my hdd config to raid 0, i was unable to figure out how to set it up :S probably just stupidity on my part. i did try a few different methods and formatting techniques, and a few different flavors/distros of linux including ubuntu, sabayon (which would never boot), opensuse, and vixta. i was eventually forced to give up though unfortunately.

but while yes i do agree with you ms has some pretty nice apps/systems/etc...but i just really dont like their way of doing things. i didnt use to mind them at all, but over the last year or so i have come to realize many (though im sure not all) of their faults.

and i dont want to say the developing stage for ms is crappy, like you said that of ppcgeeks and here at xda is enourmous, but i dont believe any of the credit there should go to microsoft.

but like you said not all ppl will move to android, because of different tastes. but with microsofts inability to come through, and everyones hatred for them, it shouldnt be hard for the android project to steal most all their customer base with their extremely innovative and new ideas and way of doing things. everyone wants better, no doubt there. and if android is better enough then...well who knows! we'll see :)

anywho, didnt mean to hijack this thread sorry! keep up the good work! ;) this is an exciting project i would VERY MUCH like to see move forward! (touchscreen PLEASE! :) )

Psionfenix

Nov 11, 2007
Las Vegas
I agree. Sorry for hijacking the thread. :-X

on an on-topic note, however, I think i know the root cause of the problems on my phone.
If haret needs 25Megs to run, which i can barely scrape up as is, there is no room in the ram for the initrd, or even the kernel to boot. So unless i can figure out how to map my SD card as ram, or use haret without booting into winmo, i dont think i can do much.

dzo

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
The android folks say they will release a sd driver as part of the msm kernel "soon". When this happens (and if it works on msm7500) you will be able to put the filesystem on an sd card and have no memory problems.

Hugo381

Nov 24, 2007

If it werent people like these are are trying out Alpha programs or developing them you wouldnt have some of the GREAT apps available now for you to download to your phone comfortably.

Dont forget. There has to be scientist and guinea pigs to come up with solutions. In this case, to develop programs for our phone.

I personally would love to have this running on my phone after I had a taste of it. Its like having an iPhone interface on the phone. Its great even for an ALPHA non-functional program.

Besides, its not like you are flashing your phone or Hard Resetting. Its as simple as installing any other programs you are so comfortably enjoying at the moment. And as easily, it can be removed.

Thank you.

Psionfenix

Nov 11, 2007
Las Vegas
sweet. of course, who knows how soon "soon" is. haha. But that doesnt change my RAM issue...I have about 25 MB free, which is what haret needs, so i dont have room for anythign else in the ram at that point.

bobaka

Dec 2, 2007
Windows Mobile

Windows Mobile is really rather pathetic isn't it?

I was able to make my Sprint Touch barely passable after forty hours or so of tweaking and it's still just a miserable wannabe.

Windows Mobile 7? Oh really? By the time it's out WHO WILL CARE?

Microsoft is a joke. And their stock price is proof. Sorry Charlie.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ok so my stability argument was based on desktop distro's. I'm sure i'm in over my head but i would just like to have linux running on my phone...so i can boot right to it no windows at all....
    just tried it, the calendar comes up now but when I go to my calendars I get an error saying "Sorry the process com.android.calendar has stopped unexpectedly"
    Thi swill probably sound really stupid but I am enw to the boards, is there anyway of putting Android on a LG Voyager? I love androids interface and would love to not have to switch plans to get it (plus I can't waitlol)
    I've fixed wifi on the 2.6.32 kernel. Attached is the new module, put it in /system/lib/modules. You'll also need the very latest kernel. I made some very big changes to the sd driver so this could break other things..