[NIGHTLY/KERNEL][USER] UNOFFICIAL CM9 + 3.0.x Kernel for K-Fire [3.0.31+ 06-28]

Search This thread

sthomas38

Feb 9, 2012
I can connect my Kindle Fire to my Samsung Galaxy S WiFi without any problem, but it takes quite a long time (2-3 minutes) to detect the network.

Mao_anguita

Apr 11, 2012
Viña del mar
Today I was charging my kindle when the led turned green I unpluged it and saw that the battery was still in 91% no biggie I just let it charge a little longer but its still a litlle bug

Sorry for my bad English
Sent from the end of the world

walts

Apr 11, 2006
Today I was charging my kindle when the led turned green I unpluged it and saw that the battery was still in 91% no biggie I just let it charge a little longer but its still a litlle bug

Sorry for my bad English
Sent from the end of the world

If I'm not mistaken, the LED is green from 90% to 100% charge. BUT If you're running an ICS Kernel, the LED is unreliable anyway :D I leave mine plugged in overnight and it usually has gotten a full charge by about 2 AM (from Current Widget log).

Walt

Reactions: Hashcode

ukchucktown

Aug 25, 2010
I finally installed an app that didn't play nice with the latest ROM and kernel. App was Pulse. My touchscreen became unresponsive which leads me to believe something bad was happening under the covers that was consuming the UI thread. Problem went away after I removed it. I didn't capture any logcat output while the device was misbehaving. I'll try it again with Hash's next release.

UK

BorrowADolla

Nov 25, 2007
The GAPPS link in the OP draws from the same repository as KFU gapps installer right?

I'm having lots of trouble logging into the YouTube app which is why I'm asking. There seems to be lots of comments in the reviews section with people who are having one issue or another with YouTube recently.

lex244

May 28, 2012
hi

There is a bug or something regarding battery life? My Kindle battery drains a lot faster compared to old stock Kindle Fire Rom.

walts

Apr 11, 2006
There is a bug or something regarding battery life? My Kindle battery drains a lot faster compared to old stock Kindle Fire Rom.

That's not surprising considering how much more functionality this ROM gives compared with the stock ROM.

I charge overnight and with 2-3 hours worth of reading books, downloading blogs and tweets, I'm usually at about 60% by bedtime when I plug it in again.

Walt

mrl515

Apr 1, 2012
Tuscaloosa
I finally installed an app that didn't play nice with the latest ROM and kernel. App was Pulse. My touchscreen became unresponsive which leads me to believe something bad was happening under the covers that was consuming the UI thread. Problem went away after I removed it. I didn't capture any logcat output while the device was misbehaving. I'll try it again with Hash's next release.

UK

That's strange, so you installed it from the play store? If you'd restored from Titanium I could see that causing a problem, but otherwise I'm not sure what could have caused your screen to become unresponsive. Have you tried replicating the problem? I'll check out Pulse on mine in a minute, but I've never had anything like this happen before...

bi2o

Feb 5, 2012
Anyone else is having problems with YouTube crashing somewhere half way when playing long HD videos?
Also the browser seems finicky, often the blue bar on the top stops while going through pages and u have to stop and refresh to get it to work.

TyGoss

Feb 19, 2012
USB Storage with Kindle Fire / Latest CM9 Build

I just flashed the latest build (the one that was posted on 5-26)

My windows 7 laptop recognizes that a device is plugged in, but it's listed as 'Other -> Amazon' and it tries and fails to install drivers.

My Kindle sees it is plugged in and informs me that debugging is enabled, but does not give me an option to turn on or off USB storage, and no drive shows up on my laptop.

I tried right-clicking on 'Amazon' and uninstalling the drivers and plugging the device back in again, but the same thing happens. It attempts and fails to install drivers and the device is just listed as 'Amazon' in my Device Manager.

Any ideas? :confused:

inspired55

May 1, 2011
Las Vegas
I just flashed the latest build (the one that was posted on 5-26)

My windows 7 laptop recognizes that a device is plugged in, but it's listed as 'Other -> Amazon' and it tries and fails to install drivers.

My Kindle sees it is plugged in and informs me that debugging is enabled, but does not give me an option to turn on or off USB storage, and no drive shows up on my laptop.

I tried right-clicking on 'Amazon' and uninstalling the drivers and plugging the device back in again, but the same thing happens. It attempts and fails to install drivers and the device is just listed as 'Amazon' in my Device Manager.

Any ideas? :confused:
go to settings/storage you will see a 3 line bar in upper right corner press than press on usb computer connection press mass storage. than you will be able to connect sd card to computer. If you still can't connect see what to do on page 1 of op's directions.

Last edited:

TyGoss

Feb 19, 2012
omg thank you

go to settings/storage you will see a 3 line bar in upper right corner press than press on usb computer connection press mass storage. than you will be able to connect sd card to computer. If you still can't connect see what to do on page 1 of op's directions.

omg thank you it's amazing how easy things are when you know where the right button is lol

bennettg

Nov 11, 2010
Hi!

with hash's rom/kernel, i can connect to what i think is an ad-hoc hotspot from my android phone (optimus v running inferior human organs rom: gingerbread) when it uses wpa-psk as the encryption. no app, just the stock wifi hotspot from the rom.

however, when i run the same phone with a different rom (quattrimus ics) and the wifi tether app (definately ad-hoc) , which uses wep, it doesn't work the same. the kf sees the ad-hoc hotspot, it will connect and state "optaining ip address" for a while, never connecting, and then disconnect and the process starts over.

i'm a noob, so i would appreciate any insight that you might have. is the KF unable to connect too wep wifi for some reason? is the first scenario (wpa-psk) not ad-hoc?

thanks in advance

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
That's not surprising considering how much more functionality this ROM gives compared with the stock ROM.

I charge overnight and with 2-3 hours worth of reading books, downloading blogs and tweets, I'm usually at about 60% by bedtime when I plug it in again.

Walt
For example, I believe the stock ROM can't do background sync (such as gmail push).

Battery life is only slightly worse than other "full blown" Android tablets, and that's probably just due to having a smaller battery than my Tab 10.1 (which has a 7+ Ah battery compared to our 4.4Ah battery...)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NEW KERNEL IS CHARGING. OS DOESN'T SHOW THE CHARGING ICON.
    Make sure when you plug in to check the Settings -> Battery screen and see "Charging"

06-28: KERNEL.ZIP #13 IS NOW READY HERE (FLASH IN RECOVERY): REMOVED TEMP
    (Recompiling w/o Linaro for compatibility)
    md5sum: a16c281fa3dbe0962c6dc2c03e6df5bc
    Full ROM: http://bit.ly/NaD2vW
    md5sum: d9dfe6f5f97eadbeaecc86d0314cb80e
    - Mainline Linux 3.0.31 updates
    - TI kernel 3.0.21 branch updates
    - [ROM-Only] Now w/ "OtterParts where the touchscreen filter setting can be set (0 as default, but 30 is very usable) -- (Scott Brady)
    - Built using Linaro toolchain
    - Added KRAIT optimizations (not sure how effective yet) (twa_priv)

NOTE: I haven't adjusted the nightly server to use the 3.0.31 kernel OR Linaro yet. This is the only ROM link I've built with it in it.

[06-27-2012] UNOFFICIAL NIGHTLY SERVER IS RUNNING:
    DOWNLOAD HERE
    GApps: http://goo.im/gapps (4/29 is the latest in the CM9 row)
    These builds are using a stock framework which includes the volume slider mod. It's kept up-to-date by twa_priv.

STEPS FOR UPDATING:
    1. Download .zip file from the nightly server and place on your device
    2. Reboot into recovery and apply .zip
    3. If coming from any ROM which is not CM9 please wipe data/cache/Dalvik Cache
    4. Reboot and enjoy

LATEST CHANGES:
    [06-26-2012] Added sbradymobile's touch filter patch + OtterParts for controlling the filter level (30 recommended, default as 0 for now) (under Settings -> Advanced) [THANKS!]

SOLO KERNEL NOTES:

06-08: KERNEL.ZIP #12 IS NOW READY HERE (FLASH IN RECOVERY): http://bit.ly/KPbDVm
    md5sum: e7476ff785b2dfbdb062e1cc036c14ac
    - Touchscreen driver changes (event optimization, ICS friendly)
    - Updated the WLAN driver to R5.00.18 (up from R5.00.5)
    - Cleaned up the charger code some more (part of on-going charger work)
    - Added more support for PPTP and L2TP connections
    - [NEW 06/08] Added CCMP support used in 802.11i for EAPOL/WPA2/IPSEC connections using 4-way handshakes (Will fix some users who can't connect to wifi at certain locations)

TROUBLESHOOTING FOR USB not being recognized in Windows 7 (while the Kindle is *NOT* plugged into computer):
    - Open Device Manager
    - Right-click your computer name and select "Show Hidden Devices"
    - The top device group should be: Android device(or phone): under it "Android ADB Composite device"
    - Right-click on that and select uninstall
    - Now plug the Kindle back into the computer and let driver re-install

IF FOR SOME REASON WIFI DOESN'T WORK ON THE FIRST BOOTUP DO THE FOLLOWING:
    Enter Terminal Emulator
    Type: su
    Type: fix-mac.sh
    Exit Terminal Emulator
    Reboot

THIS ROM SHOWS OFF HOW WELL ICS CAN RUN ON THE KINDLE FIRE.
    ** READY FOR DAILY USE **

If I had just installed this ROM and I wanted to see something that might not work in the stock-kernel based ICS ROM, then I'd try the following:
    - Install "Chrome Beta" from the market and test it out.
    - Audio is more stable.
    - Launcher is smoother due to full PVR graphic support
    - Try YouTube!

For user support, look to this thread! Please keep discussion here as to what works and what doesn't, etc.
    06-08: KERNEL.ZIP #12 IS NOW READY HERE (FLASH IN RECOVERY): http://bit.ly/KPbDVm
    md5sum: e7476ff785b2dfbdb062e1cc036c14ac
    - Touchscreen driver changes (event optimization, ICS friendly)
    - Updated the WLAN driver to R5.00.18 (up from R5.00.5)
    - Cleaned up the charger code some more (part of on-going charger work)
    - Added more support for PPTP and L2TP connections
    - [NEW 06/08] Added CCMP support used in 802.11i for EAPOL/WPA2/IPSEC connections using 4-way handshakes (Will fix some users who can't connect to wifi at certain locations)
    I think we can safely agree that the charger driver has issues and it's being worked on. And that each user should ensure that their device charges correctly without the aid of seeing the charging icon in the status bar.

The details are really irrelevant.

ONCE AGAIN KEEP IT CIVIL. WHICH MEANS: don't accuse each other of lying, call each other names, or use otherwise inflammatory remarks.

While rude and insensitive, its also mucking up my thread which is supposed to be a useful resource.

I say this as someone who religiously pages through almost every thread in this area and often could respond badly to poorly worded kernel demands, etc. It doesn't take much to turn a well intentioned post into something worse. And sometimes its due to language barriers or other issues which are beyond control.

A thick skin is almost a requirement in any public forum setting.

/rant

On a side note the new driver is working with the OS: I get a charging icon when plugging in. Now on to removing the extra battery device, fixing suspend and a pleathora of mode switch issues.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2
    TEST BUILD #3 IS READY HERE: http://bit.ly/IShcSq

There are 2 changes for this build:
    - HW Codecs are now working.
    - Kernel included in this build is running "silicon type performance" mode. Meaning it's a stock overclock to 1.2 Ghz. Please test this as well.

If you have ANY issues with the 1.2 Ghz speed and want to step back down to 1.0 Ghz do the following:
    - Enter "Settings"
    - Choose "Performance" (at the bottom)
    - Click "Ok"
    - Select "Processor" (the first item on the right)
    - Choose "Maximum CPU frequency"
    - Set this to 1008
    - Then check the "Set on boot" option
    05-10: KERNEL.ZIP #9 IS NOW READY HERE (FLASH IN RECOVERY): http://bit.ly/Iz9J4s
    md5sum bb453c85f7155cea3fab1c83cae65c73
    [ FULL STOCK CM9 ROM AVAILABLE HERE: http://bit.ly/JC6UBT ]
    md5sum 0d7677af67501b0f467130016fb1f928
    - updated PVR/graphics drivers for bugfix (same version 1.8@869593): fixes slight text corruption in at 270 degree rotation and memory leak
    - cleanup work on backlight driver, still flashes on resume slightly (Icemank121)
    - cpu governor: conservative cherry-pick improvment patches (Entropy512)
    - [ROM ONLY] Wifi netloc (GPS) working! (Entrophy512)
    - wifi .ini file change to TQS_S_2.6.ini (doesn't have 5ghz settings like the other)
    - [ROM ONLY] Volume increase (Kuzma30), updated CM9 build, reboot recovery fix, included volume slider, and commented out "survey data missing!" in wpa_supplicant_8, higher quality bootanimation

DEV NOTES: ROM Build is now fixed so that PVR modules are built with the kernel.