[DEV] CM10 on ArchosG9

Search This thread

steve adams

Dec 14, 2011
With dev team here it will be a smooth stable rom sooner than later. To all of you who are doing this stuff, my hats are off to you. Its amazing how you can do this stuff and then share it with us peasants. Ha ha...

After I get my g9 running on blue, oc'ed, I will give a big round of thanks to everyone that helped and the dev's I got info from. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using xda app-developers app

Quinny899

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 26, 2011
Salford, Greater Manchester, UK
quinny898.co.uk
Rendering my small screencast video:
uploadfromtaptalk1346248279187.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Hohenstaufen

Hohenstaufen

May 19, 2010

trevd

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 19, 2011
Hull
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4
It's only taken all day, but it's finally uploaded the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzn1SZG-TtA&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Quality isn't the best, sorry guys

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium HD app

Nice work Quinny, I'll take note of the app as well, I couldn't find a suitable one when I wanted to do a video on the G9. I was tempted to compile ffmpeg myself, left it in the end.

I think I'll have a look at the SDCard and see what's up with the camera, It maybe simple as missing the camera library, probably not tho. :laugh:

With the sdcard, the framework res storage_list.xml may need looking into and the init.rc, goggle jigged some of the directories around on JB like moving internal sdcard primary location is supposed to be at /storage/sdcard0 on standard JB Roms. Obviously archos have been using the /storage directory on ICS to reference the internal storage for the devices,

We're still in reality using the ICS init.rc to boot the device with a couple of additions because of the archos "one size fits all" approach to the g9 series were they have modified the /init binary to fire off the scripts in /etc/init/ amongst other things.

Looks like I've just given myself a list of Jobs then LOL

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
Nice work Quinny, I'll take note of the app as well, I couldn't find a suitable one when I wanted to do a video on the G9. I was tempted to compile ffmpeg myself, left it in the end.

I think I'll have a look at the SDCard and see what's up with the camera, It maybe simple as missing the camera library, probably not tho. :laugh:

With the sdcard, the framework res storage_list.xml may need looking into and the init.rc, goggle jigged some of the directories around on JB like moving internal sdcard primary location is supposed to be at /storage/sdcard0 on standard JB Roms. Obviously archos have been using the /storage directory on ICS to reference the internal storage for the devices,

We're still in reality using the ICS init.rc to boot the device with a couple of additions because of the archos "one size fits all" approach to the g9 series were they have modified the /init binary to fire off the scripts in /etc/init/ amongst other things.

Looks like I've just given myself a list of Jobs then LOL

The error with the camera is the HAL failing to load, reporting "Failed to get Camera info"

Quallenauge

May 10, 2012
The error with the camera is the HAL failing to load, reporting "Failed to get Camera info"

That's why I'm trying to get a new kernel version running, to be able to use a new firmware (ducati-m3.bin) for the board.
So then we can use the libOMX drivers which are provided at omapzoom site which are used by the camera and hardware video acceleration logic .Thats my assumption. Maybe I'm wrong...

trevd

Jul 19, 2011
Hull
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4
That's why I'm trying to get a new kernel version running, to be able to use a new firmware (ducati-m3.bin) for the board.
So then we can use the libOMX drivers which are provided at omapzoom site which are used by the camera and hardware video acceleration logic .Thats my assumption. Maybe I'm wrong...

Hi, I've been doing a bit of hacking and managed to get it to the point where Android reports that it cannot connect to the camera hardware which feels further along but then I just ended up going round in circles ( again ) because I've been doing the lazy approach of prodding it with a stick to provoke a reaction ( cherry picking files ) rather that debugging and delving into the code.... :laugh:

I did watch this presentation on the camera stack.... It's not great because they're framing it on a Video4Linux context, TI OMAP uses the OpenMax Framework, this is open source apparently so we should be able to get the sources from somewhere.... it requires more investigation and may well be worth waiting for your new kernel, no pressure :silly:

I moved onto the sdcard as I managed to fix my slot, I've got it automounting and got the internal storage recognized in the system storage page, so I'm should have it boxed off today. :good: I was going to jig to directory structure around to be more JB standard ( i.e using /storage/sdcard0 etc ) but I think that can wait for a bit.

As usual, doing too much Android and not enough sleeping, but what ya going do when "da robots gotta hold of me"

[EDIT] Just having a look at some of the commits on the omapzoom site and it looks like they're are adding V4L support....Interesting!

Last edited:

nicktastique

Oct 7, 2011
Quallenauge,

The build is failing for me when ICS_AUDIO_BLOB is defined. Did you have to make any changes to libhardware sources?

Thanks

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

I've cleaned up the jellybean device tree a bit:

device/archos/archos_g9
vendor/archos/archos_g9

...in the branch jellybean-cm. These are forks of Quallenauge's tree.

It should build out of the box, excepting problems with upstream sources. In particular, there are minor but easily fixed problems with a few telephony unit tests, and libhardware fails for me when -DICS_AUDIO_BLOB is used.

Last edited:

nashi20002003

Mar 7, 2010
Quinny899,

Can you give steps by steps install. I'm a little confused. Or best video guide if you have time. At least steps by steps will help. Thank you! Nice job. Thanks a lot OP and you all. One more thing: for us with hdd, anything we need to do differently here?

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
This is the install method:
GUIDE IS OUTDATED - USE THE ONE HERE INSTEAD:
EDIT 2: UN-STRIKED DUE TO ME MOVING MY BLOG

http://quinny898.webuda.com/blog/CM10_Archos_G9_Guide.html
1. Make sure you have a rooted ROM.
2. Backup all the apps and data on the internal memory onto a PC. (Remember that sdcards don't work in this ROM yet)
3. Download archos.ext4.update and the zImage from the first post. Also download the 4.0.7 kernel zip and extract the initramfs file from it.
4. Power off your device and boot into archos recovery. Select Developer Edition menu > flash kernel and initamfs
5. Plug your device into the PC and a drive will appear. Copy the zImage from the first post and the initramfs from the extracted 4.0.7 kernel zip to the drive and EJECT THE DRIVE, but do not remove the USB connection
6. Press the power button on your device and let it reboot.
7. Open a command prompt/terminal on your PC with your device still connected
8. When your device gets to the boot animation, quickly run
Code:
adb shell stop
In the command prompt
(Device will stop the boot animation)
9. Run these commands:
Code:
adb shell rm -r -f /data/*
adb push archos.ext4.update /data/local/archos.ext4
adb reboot
The device should now boot CM10

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a nightly update to flash

Last edited:
Reactions: cajl

trevd

Jul 19, 2011
Hull
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4
Assume the Mounting Position

Now Then,

EDIT: External Storage works using an OTG Cable on the micro usb socket

For your viewing pleasure this evening I present working sdcard mounting ( not external storage yet ). Have it :) It turned out to be not even a code change.For all of the archo's quirks their changes to the vold subsystem only add confusion and complexity rather than anything useful, like , hmm I don't know, Functionality Maybe would be a good one LOL :rolleyes: In their defense I don't think we're their intended audience.

Anyways. I'll explain the change in detail below in a bit, but for those who put the xda in xda-developers, Here's what you need to do, edit the /system/etc/vold.fstab to look like this
Code:
dev_mount volume_internal /mnt/storage auto /devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun0 /class/block/mmcblk0
dev_mount volume_sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc1
dev_mount volume_external /mnt/ext_storage auto /devices/platform/omap/musb-omap2430/musb-hdrc/usb2/2-1/2-1:1.0/ /devices/platform/omap/usbhs_omap/ehci-omap.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/
That is all! That should give you a cool pick like the one below, obviously not with 500MB Internal Storage , but that another story.
I also deleted all the other vold.<model>.fstab and also the fstab_nor, fstab_nand and fstab. These are not required on the sdcard models, not a clue if they are important to the HD Model.
picture.php

Last edited:

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
Now Then,

For your viewing pleasure this evening I present working sdcard mounting ( not external storage yet ). Have it :) It turned out to be not even a code change.For all of the archo's quirks their changes to the vold subsystem only add confusion and complexity rather than anything useful, like , hmm I don't know, Functionality Maybe would be a good one LOL :rolleyes: In their defense I don't think we're their intended audience.

Anyways. I'll explain the change in detail below in a bit, but for those who put the xda in xda-developers, Here's what you need to do, edit the /system/etc/vold.fstab to look like this
Code:
dev_mount volume_internal /mnt/storage auto /devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun0 /class/block/mmcblk0
dev_mount volume_sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc1
dev_mount volume_external /mnt/ext_storage auto /class/block/sda
That is all! That should give you a cool pick like the one below, obviously not with 500MB Internal Storage , but that another story.
I also deleted all the other vold.<model>.fstab and also the fstab_nor, fstab_nand and fstab. These are not required on the sdcard models, not a clue if they are important to the HD Model.
picture.php

Awesome! Trying it now and will add it to my guide tomorrow

Reactions: trevd

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If someone like to want try out basic running JellyBeans on his archos g9 device you can use my build.
    Many things like camera, or accelerated video decoding/encoding doesn't work, also the sdcard access is not working (using vold binary from stock rom was not successful)!
    (= Not for endusers, but for devs who are interested ;) )

Working is:
    * Wifi
    * Audio
    * GPS
    * Graphics ( :) )

File-Image:
    http://www.4shared.com/file/168Z262u/archosext4updatetar.html

Needed kernel zImage:
    http://www.4shared.com/file/_yBZF1D_/zImage.html

Many thanks to JackpotClavin for your porting guide on CM9
    (which was very helpful to start understanding how customized building works),
    trevd for setup a CM10 repo which I used to start from and for developing 3G support on 4.0.4 and 4.1.1,
    omegaRED7 for his support on 3G,
    and last but not least: surdu_petru for his excellent work on modding and developing cool images for the archos device!!!

If you want to start hacking on this, use the following interesting repos as start:
    Trevd's developer repo for the 3G stick:
    https://github.com/trevd/huaweigeneric-ril

My CM10 config files:
    https://github.com/Quallenauge/cm10-archos-g9

A note for the kernel:
    Customized kernel is needed, because it provides the IPV6 mangle support, which is needed by netd service.

For me, the video acceleration is the most important thing, but due closed drivers and only a little understanding of the topic, I feel that I'm not able to solve this problem.
    Assume the Mounting Position

Now Then,

EDIT: External Storage works using an OTG Cable on the micro usb socket

Code:
    dev_mount volume_external /mnt/ext_storage auto /devices/platform/omap/musb-omap2430/musb-hdrc/usb2/2-1/2-1:1.0/ /devices/platform/omap/usbhs_omap/ehci-omap.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/
    picture.php
    Hi !

Very cool ! You started a great job....I hope that with our dear developers you will be able to successfully finish !
    THANKS ! & Good luck !!! :good:
    mn555: what does not works in this rom? could this rom be used daily?

Ahh, I started writing this post 2 daysd ago, got sidetracked....

Not Working:
    Camera
    Graphics 3D Hardwate acceleration

Not Tested/Unsure:
    Storage Capacity Reporting on the HDD Models, This is a configuration issue, someone with an HDD Model needs to want to sort it out.
    HDMI, Simply not tested it but I think we are using the same drivers as the AOKP rom and It doesn't work on there.

Current Status:
    You need to cobble everything together from this thread to get 3G / SDCard and Google Now etc working on the original image in the first post.I suppose if someone wants to take the time to build CM10 with the latest sources and "cook" up an image that includes the latest binaries and all the fixes that would help some folks out.

With regards using it as a daily, It depends if your "casual" with it, i.e a bit a browsing here and there. It seems stable enough and seems a little smoother than ICS in general. Watch Quinny's video review for info of video playback etc.

Current Developments / Sometime in the Distant Future :
    I don't know if anyones is actively working on the "ROM" it's self. I don't know if there's anymore that can be done on it at the moment other than a maintenance build like I mentioned.

What is being worked on is a new kernel build which should hopefully get the remaining Hardware functioning, The HW Acceleration is the primary goal but a fully functioning custom kernel which is not reliant on any updates from archos is the desired result. Quallenauge, who I think is taking a well deserved holiday at the moment is leading the charge on this and he has made some amazing progress, but obviously there is no ETA on this, It'll be ready when It works. :laugh: I'm doing a bit of development with it but I'm still at the stage where I learn that I've got a lot learn every single day.
    Here's a more detailed guide with linked downloads and better info for it:
    http://quinny898.webuda.com/blog/CM10_Archos_G9_Guide.html