[GUIDE] GPS Navigation with TetherGPS

Search This thread

lionclaw

May 22, 2010
The one thing keeping TetherGPS from working on the Kindle Fire is the missing development options in the settings menu, specifically the "Enable Mock Locations" option. You can however enable it manually.

UPDATED 9/9/2012

This post originally used Zergrush to root, but that no longer works with the latest updated software from Amazon. Check the development section to find the latest rooting information.

1. Root your Kindle Fire.

2. Obtain/install ADB, sqlite3, and the KF USB drivers. Make sure the KF shows up when you execute the command "adb devices" from a terminal.

3. Execute the following in a terminal window:

Code:
adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
copy settings.db settings.bak
sqlite3 settings.db "update secure set value=1 where name='mock_location';"
adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
adb reboot

4. After the KF restarts you are set! Connect your KF to your phone's wifi, launch the TetherGPS server on your phone, and launch the TetherGPS client on your KF. Install Google Maps/Earth or any other GPS-consuming app and you should be good to go.

Alternative Method: Purchase Root Explorer from the Play Store on your rooted KF. Use Root Explorer and sqlite editor to open /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db and change 'mock_location' from '0' to '1'. Restart your KF.

Demo Video:

Thanks goes to ros87 for posting this method for the Nook Touch here.

Last edited:

FlashFire1

Nov 25, 2011
This looks like it would work. I think I'll try it after you make the video since I'm more of a video person. :D

lionclaw

May 22, 2010
Post updated with simpler instructions. I wrote a batch file and included the files necessary to complete this procedure.

Demo video is also posted!

This is now a very easy process, and does not require that your device remain rooted. Google Maps is super smooth on the KF!

Reactions: siafu

FlashFire1

Nov 25, 2011
Would it be possible to tether a Garmin GPS to the KFire?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium

siafu

Jan 15, 2007
This is awesome! Now if we can get the Bluetooth working on the KF then I can use my BT GPS. For now this will work!

lionclaw

May 22, 2010
Getting BT working would really be the icing on the cake, or perhaps the ice cream on my sandwich ;)

For most people, you're going to have to tether to your phone to get internet access anyway, so using TetherGPS saves you from having a third device.

Target has the LG Optimus V for $50 right now. I believe it's a Fri/Sat sale only. It's a pre-paid phone for Virgin Mobile, but you don't need to activate it. You can root the device and install android-wifi-tether and TetherGPS, and use it as a GPS puck.

uzi74

Dec 15, 2009
I've had the same "Mock" issue yesterday, today I've found your guide and it solved my problem immediately, many thanks! :D

lionclaw

May 22, 2010
I recorded two more demo videos today with the Kindle Fire running aviation mapping and navigation software (AviationMaps and Naviator).

lionclaw

May 22, 2010
I have ADB working fine, but when I run the batch file it just keeps saying " 'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file".

You need to put the platform-tools folder in your system's PATH variable, or you can drop the files from the zip into the platform-tools folder and run the batch file there.

Reactions: Be6i4 and Stoneje77
You need to put the platform-tools folder in your system's PATH variable, or you can drop the files from the zip into the platform-tools folder and run the batch file there.

Thanks, I figured it was something like that. I just dropped the files into my tools folder and did it from there, success! :D

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

What would I put in Path under Environment Variables to enable it? I want to make sure I put it in correctly.

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

I added this to the end of the existing text in Path- ;C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools

I answered my own question lol Now I can ADB allover the place hehe Anyway, this works GREAT, thank you so much for this! It'll be nice having a 7 inch GPS on my travels across Nor*Cal for work (I work everything from Sonoma County and just north of Sacramento north to Oregon and Northeast to Nevada).

Last edited:

Stoneje77

May 16, 2008
This is working great for me. Simple steps, and now my Kindle does the one thing that I wished that it would have done from the start by having GPS. Thank you, much!

sgood1971

Jan 31, 2011
Parkersburg, WV
Works good, thanks. Wants me to enable gps in settings starting navigation, but there is no gps in settings. It's cool though, still locates me within 10 meters.

lionclaw

May 22, 2010
Forgive me if I'm wrong but couldn't you edit the settings.db with root explorer right on the device?

If your KF is rooted, and you have root explorer and SQLite Editor installed, then you can do it right on the KF. I haven't tried it personally, but I don't see any reason why not.

MinionOfEckerd

Nov 9, 2007
Got the GPS link working! Thanks!

BTW What tethering program are you using? What phone is it being run on?

I have a Droid 3 and my KF isn't recognizing the tetherering. (Tried Barnacle and OpenGarden)

neilrl79

Aug 15, 2010
Maryland
Got the GPS link working! Thanks!

BTW What tethering program are you using? What phone is it being run on?

I have a Droid 3 and my KF isn't recognizing the tetherering. (Tried Barnacle and OpenGarden)

I have a DROID3 as well tho I haven't gotten my KF yet. Did you do the Radiocomm tether hack that utilizes the hotspot app included with the phone?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The one thing keeping TetherGPS from working on the Kindle Fire is the missing development options in the settings menu, specifically the "Enable Mock Locations" option. You can however enable it manually.

UPDATED 9/9/2012

This post originally used Zergrush to root, but that no longer works with the latest updated software from Amazon. Check the development section to find the latest rooting information.

1. Root your Kindle Fire.

2. Obtain/install ADB, sqlite3, and the KF USB drivers. Make sure the KF shows up when you execute the command "adb devices" from a terminal.

3. Execute the following in a terminal window:

Code:
    adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
    copy settings.db settings.bak
    sqlite3 settings.db "update secure set value=1 where name='mock_location';"
    adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
    adb reboot

4. After the KF restarts you are set! Connect your KF to your phone's wifi, launch the TetherGPS server on your phone, and launch the TetherGPS client on your KF. Install Google Maps/Earth or any other GPS-consuming app and you should be good to go.

Alternative Method: Purchase Root Explorer from the Play Store on your rooted KF. Use Root Explorer and sqlite editor to open /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db and change 'mock_location' from '0' to '1'. Restart your KF.

Demo Video:

Thanks goes to ros87 for posting this method for the Nook Touch here.
    I have ADB working fine, but when I run the batch file it just keeps saying " 'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file".

Version 1.2.0 was just posted. It includes some changes to make it easier to troubleshoot problems. It's now obvious if/when the server transmits location, if the client receives it, and how old the fix is. The server also will transmit network-derived locations if a gps fix is not available or if it is too old.

There was an update to the TGPS network protocol. This version will require you to update both the client and server, otherwise the client will report a version mismatch and not function.

- TetherGPS now sends the best available location (network or gps), and indicates the type and age of the fix on the notification bar.
    - Icons have been updated.
    - Different color icons now indicate status.
    + Gray = no connection
    + Red = very stale fix or no position
    + Yellow = stale fix
    + Blue = good fix.
    Post updated with simpler instructions. I wrote a batch file and included the files necessary to complete this procedure.

Demo video is also posted!

This is now a very easy process, and does not require that your device remain rooted. Google Maps is super smooth on the KF!
    Forgive me if I'm wrong but couldn't you edit the settings.db with root explorer right on the device?