[ROM] SHPONGLE v3.5 - "You think you can handle it?" [07.07.2012]

Search This thread

Cossin

Dec 19, 2010
Montreal
humm.. I think you'll have no choice of using Elelinux rom to have multi-language support like I had to do for French due to it's rom based Decked_X who is just available in English.. :)

Jul 10, 2012
I have been using this ROM for a little while now and find it to be both fast and stable. A really great job by the developer 1ceb0x, for which I would like to express my thanks.

One small issue I have yet to sort out and that is one of awful keyboard lag. I use Handcent SMS for messaging and am wondering if anyone else is using this app and suffering the same problem? I haven't worked out if it is just this app, or a combination of this app and the installed keyboard yet, but if anyone else has had a similar experience that they have managed to resolve, or can suggest tweaks to try I would be grateful to hear. I really would like to stick with Handcent, if possible.

For anyone who has not tried this ROM, I would recommend they do; it really is a great everyday ROM.

Reactions: 1ceb0x

1ceb0x

Jun 25, 2010
The Earth
I have been using this ROM for a little while now and find it to be both fast and stable. A really great job by the developer 1ceb0x, for which I would like to express my thanks.

One small issue I have yet to sort out and that is one of awful keyboard lag. I use Handcent SMS for messaging and am wondering if anyone else is using this app and suffering the same problem? I haven't worked out if it is just this app, or a combination of this app and the installed keyboard yet, but if anyone else has had a similar experience that they have managed to resolve, or can suggest tweaks to try I would be grateful to hear. I really would like to stick with Handcent, if possible.

For anyone who has not tried this ROM, I would recommend they do; it really is a great everyday ROM.

As far as I know, the keyboard lag should be gone in the latest version which is 3.5. However, it was only tested using stock keyboard and stock mms app. If you are having low ram, this could be your problem (or an app is keeping your cpu at 100%) - though the first issue should not occur because the kernel is tweaked to kill apps when mem. is lower than 60 - so basically you will always have 40-50 mb free every time.

Thank you guys for your support and for using my rom, it is really a great pleasure to see how many users have it as a daily driver. Thanks again!

Reactions: os4you
Jul 10, 2012
I am writing mainly in response to a post by buba_shrimp in the development forum (I do not have sufficient privileges to post there), but also for my own benefit, as I am seeking assistance for the same issue.

In the early days of having my Hero (stock rom) I found GPS to work flawlessly, up until passing the installation of any google maps release past 5.5.0, when bad things started to happen. I have stayed at this release ever since.

Just prior becoming Shpongled, GPS became a nightmare; tried all sorts of stuff, but nothing seemed to help. I came to the conclusion that the hardware was failing and left it as that. That was until the day that I maintained the gps config file from US to UK/European server settings and lo and behold not only did the phone lock my position lightning fast, but all the other problems vanished too.

On moving to this rom, the first thing I did was implementing my replacement gps.conf and continued to get excellent gps performance – most of the time.

The phone now seems to operate in one of two modes; it either gets a good lock in seconds and performs flawlessly, or the gps connection circle spins for and age followed usually by the phone rebooting itself (I think just as it seems to locate its position, though I’m not quite sure just).

I have posted earlier that I am getting bad keyboard lag too, but now realise that this is a hit and miss affair also, as I only get this some of the time.

Anyone have any idea as to how I can debug the phone when it is experiencing these issues, e.g. any free logging tools or other such monitoring software that may help? Or, suggestions as to things I might try? Was glad to see buba_shrimp was suffering a similar problem – not in a gloating way, in a problem-shared-is-a-problem-halved kinda way. :)

Regards

kemoba

Mar 5, 2006
Mostar
I am writing mainly in response to a post by buba_shrimp in the development forum (I do not have sufficient privileges to post there), but also for my own benefit, as I am seeking assistance for the same issue.

In the early days of having my Hero (stock rom) I found GPS to work flawlessly, up until passing the installation of any google maps release past 5.5.0, when bad things started to happen. I have stayed at this release ever since.

Just prior becoming Shpongled, GPS became a nightmare; tried all sorts of stuff, but nothing seemed to help. I came to the conclusion that the hardware was failing and left it as that. That was until the day that I maintained the gps config file from US to UK/European server settings and lo and behold not only did the phone lock my position lightning fast, but all the other problems vanished too.

On moving to this rom, the first thing I did was implementing my replacement gps.conf and continued to get excellent gps performance – most of the time.

The phone now seems to operate in one of two modes; it either gets a good lock in seconds and performs flawlessly, or the gps connection circle spins for and age followed usually by the phone rebooting itself (I think just as it seems to locate its position, though I’m not quite sure just).

I have posted earlier that I am getting bad keyboard lag too, but now realise that this is a hit and miss affair also, as I only get this some of the time.

Anyone have any idea as to how I can debug the phone when it is experiencing these issues, e.g. any free logging tools or other such monitoring software that may help? Or, suggestions as to things I might try? Was glad to see buba_shrimp was suffering a similar problem – not in a gloating way, in a problem-shared-is-a-problem-halved kinda way. :)

Regards

Get ADB, plug your phone into USB, enable USB Debugging on your phone, type adb logcat into your PC's command line and you have debug

Jul 10, 2012
Get ADB, plug your phone into USB, enable USB Debugging on your phone, type adb logcat into your PC's command line and you have debug

I know how to do this, I just don't have the experience to know what I should be looking for. :confused:

Ideally I was really hoping for, I guess, is that someone else has suffered these same issues and has a solution. :D

My question about usefull tools was along the lines of some sort of app that records resource usage over time, to allow for analysis of conflicts, or similar. Anything like this exist? Or is there a better way? The adb logcat is a little too low-level for me I think, unless someone can help me with pointers as to what I should be looking for.

Thanks folks.

Jul 23, 2012
Very nice rom, very fast, but .. (sorry for lang)

every app or game in my Hero lags in fews minutes with error " [Application] is not responsive " .. only thing what i can do is tap " Force close " button .. so each game is not playable (gameboid mainly), or i cant read comics, or whatever else ^^ any solutions? ;)

thanks for help guys :)

Last edited:
Reactions: colapro

Tuvok36

Sep 2, 2011
Berlin
it is a great expense to import the German language in the ROM? :eek:
I would like to have it in German.:(

I'm not a developer, I'm just a user

Last edited:

1ceb0x

Jun 25, 2010
The Earth
it is a great expense to import the German language in the ROM? :eek:
I would like to have it in German.:(

I'm not a developer, I'm just a user

It would need to be build from source to get german language in it. So yes, it is a great expense since it needs:

a powerful computer
time
space

i'm so sorry for not being able to provide you guys this rom in other languages. i know i have lost some of you because of this issue but i cannot do anything for it. i can build it from source in a way or the other but it will loose the great speed of decked_x base rom.

thank you for using it thought.

dtzev

May 13, 2011
Athens
Very nice from, I have the stop responding error too but works clicking wait lets me continue without losing anything. :)

Sent from my Hero using xda app-developers app

Reactions: colapro

turk99

Dec 15, 2012
Do Shpongle ROM need swap partition on SD card??

Just a little question: what kind of partition do Shpongle ver 3.7 need on SD card??
I mean: is it necessary to have a little swap partition (60-120MB) ?

PS: version 3.7 is really strong, but I'm waiting for a next and better release

turk99

Dec 15, 2012
Dont use swap partitions...

In the last release of Elelinux it is required a swap partition greater than 60 MB and an additional Ext4 partition (maybe for app2SD..??).
I know that Shpongle ROM is not Elelinux (there are differences, I suppose), but.. is there any reason for not to installing swap partition or it's just your personal experience??

Thanks..

mickro

Dec 2, 2012
How can cyanogenmod and cronos have multilanguage support but not Shpongle?
Have they written the rom in every single language?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

As far as I know, the keyboard lag should be gone in the latest version which is 3.5. However, it was only tested using stock keyboard and stock mms app. If you are having low ram, this could be your problem (or an app is keeping your cpu at 100%) - though the first issue should not occur because the kernel is tweaked to kill apps when mem. is lower than 60 - so basically you will always have 40-50 mb free every time.

Thank you guys for your support and for using my rom, it is really a great pleasure to see how many users have it as a daily driver. Thanks again!
    Very nice rom, very fast, but .. (sorry for lang)

every app or game in my Hero lags in fews minutes with error " [Application] is not responsive " .. only thing what i can do is tap " Force close " button .. so each game is not playable (gameboid mainly), or i cant read comics, or whatever else ^^ any solutions? ;)

thanks for help guys :)
    Very nice from, I have the stop responding error too but works clicking wait lets me continue without losing anything. :)

Sent from my Hero using xda app-developers app