Raphael - USB Host?

Search This thread

Zoidborg

Jul 24, 2008
I've seen a lot of talk about power, and thankfully a few have addressed the crossed and/or grounded pins that have to be done to change the port from a client port to a host port. Has anyone tried a cable such as this, which is designed specifically for USB OTG Hosts (or so it says)? (USB Host Cable mini a male to USB A female, OTG adaptor)

I'm wondering about solving the power problem by plugging a powered USB hub into a cable such as this which is then plugged into the phone. But as several have pointed out it could still be an issue of low level drivers. I am fairly certain the Y cable like some people have tried is simply a straight USB cable with a Y; I have one with an ext. HDD; it is just like a straight cable except with the power lines split so that a second USB port can be used for power only. So it would not cross or ground the appropriate lines. I hope people keep at it; I may give it a go myself if it looks like it could work. I hope it isn't a driver issue where someone would have to build one from scratch...

a6000000

Oct 17, 2007
Berlin inside MATRIX
Zeno USB Host Drivers v6.0a for WMobile

maybe helpful:

Zeno USB Host Drivers v6.0a for WMobile
===============================

Date: 2009-02-12

download http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-download-zeno-usb-host-drivers.html

Requirements
============
PDA or Smartphone running WM5, WM6, WM6.1, propper USB cable for your device, PTP digital camera.

Information
===========

Made by Zeno Sloim. Based on RATOC Systems drivers.

The package contains:

- USB Mouse driver

- USB Keyboard US-101 HID driver

- USB-based external CD-DVD unit

- USB-based HDD unit, Memory Flash, USB-based card-reader MassStorage Driver

- USB-to-Serial Port driver (start Terminal in Start-Programs for configuration).

- RS232 USB Serial Driver (start RS232 USB Serial Driver in Start-Programs for configuration).

- PTPView for HOST & PTP Digital Cameras driver (non-USB Mass Storage such as Sony, Canon etc.).
- download photos and movies from PTP digital camera to your PDA
- photo preview
- multiple files download
- delete files from digital camera

All features tested on Fujitsu Siemens Pocket Loox 560N running WM6.1 with Transcend 16 GB SDHC Class 6.
Used with OEM USB keyboard, OEM external HDD, Kingston 8 GB memory-flash, OEM card-reader and various SD, SDHC cards, Microsoft various USB Mouses, Jura F9 automatic-coffee-machine serial port controller, OEM serial GPS unit, Canon Powershot G3, Canon PowerShot S3 IS

Download and run installer.exe on your pc, autorun.exe on your pda, autorun-s.exe on your smartphone.

History
=======

- Version 1.0: 2009-02-06 (first version)

- Version 2.0: 2009-02-07 added USB Host Mouse support for generic USB mouse. Only left-click and right-click support included, scroll-mouses are reduced to simple left and right click mouses.)

- Version 3.0: USB-to-Serial Port support added. V3 includes all previous versions, no need for uninstall. V3 does automatically soft-reset, which was not the case for v1 or v2.

- Version 4.0: PTP digital camera support added. V4 includes all previous versions, no need for uninstall.

- Version 5.0: added compatibility with older devices WM2003, as well as for WM Smartphones.

- Version 6.0: improved USB-to-Serial Port driver and added a second RS232 USB Serial Driver more suited for serial GPS units.

- Version 6.0a: modified installer, no longer forced reboot after full install, due to conflict with TouchFlo, SBSH iLauncher which caused a repeated reboot. You should manually restart your device after complete install.

FAQ
===

1. What you see on screen when you connect something?

For HDD, Memory Flash or CardReader, you can see in Explorer(Resco Explorer or WM Explorer) the new unit labeled as "Hard Disk".

For keyboard, you don't see , but in any program using the device own keyboard (Touch Screen or slide - HTC Touch Pro), you can just type on external USB keyboard.

For mouse you see a yellow-green mouse cursor on screen which follows the external mouse movements.

For DVD you see : "External Mass Storage"

For Serial port a little window prompts you to configure the serial port settings and communication protocol.
Or start Terminal in Start-Programs for configuration, or start RS232 USB Serial Driver in Start-Programs for configuration.

For digital camera start the program PTP View.

2. Is program limited to only devices with USB-host?

Yes and no. It depends on the hardware construction, accesible USB connector, even older devices without usb-host can have usb-host functionality. Many models and manufacturers has hidden this feature which really exists in their devices. The only way to find is to test it and if not working, search if other users succeeded. Original Fujitsu Siemens Pocket Loox 560N has included by default usb-host connector, with support for HDD-Memory Flash only.

3. Cables and power supply - which ones?

I always tested it with powersupply incoupled for my Loox, even if HDD or DVD-unit self was powered separated. More info on how to build an injected USB power supply here:
http://tabletblog.com/2006/01/usb-power-injector-for-usb-host-mode.html
or here:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Mini+USB+power+injector&btnG=Search

You can use the cables/accessories from an external powered usb 2.5" hdd unit and adapter mini-usb to usb (usb cables with 2 heads at one end for external power supply).

4. I ran your installer but nothing happened, and nothing got installed?

You must run installer.exe on your PC with your pda connected via Active Sync. Or copy autorun.exe to your pda and run it from your pda.
The installer detects if any of the 6 modules are already installed and it jumps to next component to check if it is installed. If all components are installed you see the message that nothing has been installed. After install, if you want to remove a certain component, you can do it by choosing Setting-System-Remove Programs. You'll see all 7 components and just uninstall the desired one like any other ordinary installled program. There's no common uninstaller for all 7 components at once, but for any of the 7 individually.

5. Does it work on my device?

There's nothing harmful, nothing malicious hidden in my program, so you can test it on your devices without risk for dataloss or other unpleasant effects.
The installation (CABs) is not locked to certain device, it is uninstallable, it is not compressed to avoid installproblems on certain devices. On my FSC Loox 560N I could install/uninstall without problems. Test my program, if it works, I'll be glad I could help other users, without thinking of money or profit. If it does not work, I can not guarantee I can help you. Just try and see.

6. Can it read data from attached DVD-unit or NTFS partitions?

Yes. The DVD unit I used is an Acer USB-based CD&DVD-RW made 2004 for an Acer Tablet-PC.

7. Barcode readers?

A user commented that even an USB barcode reader worked ok.

8. Incompatibility problems with other programs?

I can only test on my FSC Loox 560N. You can try on other devices and report in this thread on your experiences.

9. Legal aspects. Is this program legal?

Yes. All informations and sources are based on free available information and sources. No licences or copyrights were infringed. All is legal to use.

10. How much does it cost?

This program made by .. Zeno Sloim, is completeley free to use and test. I do not demand any payment or any other material form of recompense.
My program is done as Freeware and may be used by anyone.
However it may be not used or included by any person or company in a shareware product or which demands paying.

. . have fun . .
andi
QQ66YY

inq44

Dec 10, 2008
I've seen a lot of talk about power, and thankfully a few have addressed the crossed and/or grounded pins that have to be done to change the port from a client port to a host port. Has anyone tried a cable such as this, which is designed specifically for USB OTG Hosts (or so it says)? (USB Host Cable mini a male to USB A female, OTG adaptor)

I'm wondering about solving the power problem by plugging a powered USB hub into a cable such as this which is then plugged into the phone. But as several have pointed out it could still be an issue of low level drivers. I am fairly certain the Y cable like some people have tried is simply a straight USB cable with a Y; I have one with an ext. HDD; it is just like a straight cable except with the power lines split so that a second USB port can be used for power only. So it would not cross or ground the appropriate lines. I hope people keep at it; I may give it a go myself if it looks like it could work. I hope it isn't a driver issue where someone would have to build one from scratch...

Problem is not strictly related to powering the device (even though that is an issue one has to take into account); USB drivers are a layered and complex problem and the lowest level is missing. This is not what the Zeno drivers are providing (those are high level drivers); what seems to be missing are lowest level, the ones specific to the hardware, not the USB class. These are notoriously hard to reverse engineer and without the developer specs quite impossible to produce. This why this issue has stalled so much.

As I've mentioned in another post my hopes lie with the Android people, as such an open platform is bound to generate some questions back to the hardware manufacturer and in the best case, anything that can be developed for the Android can be ported to WM.

waterskier1

Oct 22, 2008
this site supposedly has software that will enable keyboard and mouse via USB to the touch pro, anyone want to buy it and see if it works?

http://htc-touch-pro.handster.com/software.php?id=3339&for=HTC+Touch+Pro

Anyone try this? I was going to, but it says "USBInput is an advanced HID Driver for the Windows Mobile platform. Using it, you can easily connect USB keyboards or mouses to your HTC Touch Pro's USB Host connector, and start using your favorite input HTC Touch Pro." I thought the problem we were trying to solve was the USB Host, that is, the Touch Pro USB port does not function as a Host as delivered. There seems to be conflicting info.

Also, it looks like either a Mouse or Keyboard may be used, but not both (at the same time). Is that how you read it?

GustavTheLion

Nov 11, 2008
i'm not entirely sure, but if this does really work, maybe someone here could open it up just to see how the magic works and then make us a nice usb host app :p

walscobry

Jun 16, 2006
New idea just hit me...

What we need is a 4 port USB -> Bluetooth Hub.

Going shopping now, if I can't find one I'll make one.

jmanley

Jan 22, 2007
mm, thought it plugged in the other port on the athena...because it also handles vga out (the 4 in 1 cable). and this other port (beside the miniusb sync port) has the icons vga out and usb host.

that is clearly not the same socket as the miniusb (i.e. the sync port).
the diamond & raphael unfortunately only have this miniusb (which is for the sync on athena).

I have an original athena, picked it up for cheap at comp-usa when they were going out of business.
It is not the Mini-USB it is another wider port on the Athena, that also allows for the VGA out / RCA Video Out
but the plug is flat and wide.

Fin9ers

Oct 21, 2009
A truely interesting read.

Really unfortunate that nothings been solved yet.

I'm most interested in this for the reason that if/when proper Linux drivers are fully ported to the Raphael's architecture, I can plug in and use some very cool stuff to the phone under a Linux OS. (I'm the creator of the NeoPwn project, so use your imagination).

I would bet that whomever is working on porting Android to the Raph/Diam would know if the hardware exists to for USB host mode support.

Android has been (more or less) ported to Raphael now :D
Maybe someone can find out this information on USB Host Hardware support???

qtipextra

Aug 21, 2009
Yes, I would love to see this implemented as well. The ultimate portable device.

*SUBSCRIBED* for any updates

Xadow

Oct 20, 2010
so that's it? ... no one have anything to post anymore about usb host? ... i have read the entire thread and i think that maybe raphael is more likely to be in slave mode then in the host mode so there must be a pin that trigger the host state ... look here in this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=559881 where they explain that if u want to make a video out u have to rip off the 4th pin so that the raphael won't see the cable as a headset ... maybe there's also a pin that is responsable for the host state of the device ... also ... the power supply souldn't get to the phone, it shoud power just the external device

Last edited: