TomTom for the Android?

Search This thread

Mansn

Aug 2, 2009
You won't need a paid app when Google releases its navigation system in all countries.

foxmeister

Mar 10, 2008
Ealing
You won't need a paid app when Google releases its navigation system in all countries.

Well, that depends. If you're using it locally and don't need to roam out of country, I'm sure it is fine - however, I use SatNav abroad extensively so it is of little use to me, unlike Copilot.

Regards,

Dave

peterc10

Aug 3, 2008
Tom Tom is not the fastest or smartest organisation in the world as anybody who has suffered there so called "support" will testify - an amazing mixture of arrogance and ignorance.

You will notice that they make it difficult even for windows mobile users (who were their original customer base before their PNDs came out). The software is not available to buy from them - and yet if you look hard enough on their site you can download TT Navigator 7 for free and then go into their maps shop and buy the maps. All legal, just bloody hard work

And then it took them ages to get their iphone app out so that their competitors stole a march on them. And the same is happening with the Android market. They have made public statements saying they will produce an Android version and then we wait and wait .........

There are differences between offline maps and online maps. To start off with I can continue to navigate when I don't have 3G available. But mainly it is the cost of data if you either don't have an inclusive package (as many don't) or are roaming abroad. I reckon the cost of data roaming on a two week touring holiday in mainland Europe will be more than the cost of initially buying my Sygic Mobile Maps package.

Ayub

Oct 3, 2007
co pilot 8 live is the only offline app full erupean maps i found. Pm me for further details.

peterc10

Aug 3, 2008
co pilot 8 live is the only offline app full erupean maps i found. Pm me for further details.

Not the case any more.

Sygic's Mobile Maps 9 has full European Maps (including Eastern as well as Western Europe). You can't buy it through the market though. Instead go to www.sygic.com for download version.

Or you could try Teleatlas at http://navigation.teleatlas.com/en/shop/HTC/mobile/ where you can order a cheaper retail version including 4Gb micro SD card.

I have been using this for a few weeks now and it is very good. The problem with Copilot is that many users at PGPSW forum have reported poor routing and customer support

Jan 4, 2008
But mainly it is the cost of data if you either don't have an inclusive package (as many don't)

I take your point about roaming abroad, but why would anyone have a Hero without having an unlimited data connection? So much of the phones functionality is internet based and it's really not that expensive now. I pay £25 a month for mine.

R

rhedgehog

why would anyone have a Hero without having an unlimited data connection?

Real helpful.

Just cos you can afford £25 extra a month to pay for unlimited internet doesn't mean others can. some people have saved up to buy the phone sim free cos they can't get a contract and so can't get these unlimited deals.

anyway....+1 for copilot here. I've had no problems with it, and there are plenty of people here who have used it many times without issue. I think i saw somewhere that one of the XDA users drove from the UK down to the south coast of spain and back and copilot behaved perfectly.

try the ones mentioned here and pick the one you like best. i prefer copilot to tomtom for many reasons, but i know people who are the exact opposite!

foxmeister

Mar 10, 2008
Ealing
I think i saw somewhere that one of the XDA users drove from the UK down to the south coast of spain and back and copilot behaved perfectly.

That was me! :)

To be honest, I was supposed to be using a dedicated unit, but I decided to try out Copilot just to see if there was much difference in route, and Copilot gave me a way better route than the dedicated SatNav!

Regards,

Dave

Sep 3, 2009
Real helpful.

Just cos you can afford £25 extra a month to pay for unlimited internet doesn't mean others can. some people have saved up to buy the phone sim free cos they can't get a contract and so can't get these unlimited deals.

anyway....+1 for copilot here. I've had no problems with it, and there are plenty of people here who have used it many times without issue. I think i saw somewhere that one of the XDA users drove from the UK down to the south coast of spain and back and copilot behaved perfectly.

try the ones mentioned here and pick the one you like best. i prefer copilot to tomtom for many reasons, but i know people who are the exact opposite!

Since you mention £, the cost of unlimited internet on UK Networks for PayG Sims is as follows.

T-Mobile : 5£/month or 20£/6 month
http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/services/payg/boosters/

Three: 150 MB free with every top up. There is also a 5£/month unlimited internet booster. Not sure if the latter is available on new plans though.

Virgin: 5£/Month

O2: Text & Web sim has unlimited internet with every top up. For other sims £7.50 per month

Orange: Dolphin sim gives you free internet. (5£ a week for other sims which I agree is expensive)

Vodafone : Expensive for everything really.

So unless you have a Vodafone, I am not sure who charges 25£/month for internet.

That said, i do agree that I find offline navigation much better.

Jan 16, 2010
Guild Of Pirates
Real helpful.

Alot of networks like t-mob offer unlimted data on there pre-pay packages for just £10 a month :p

Jan 16, 2010
Guild Of Pirates
Since you mention £, the cost of unlimited internet on UK Networks for PayG Sims is as follows.

T-Mobile : 5£/month or 20£/6 month
http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/services/payg/boosters/

Three: 150 MB free with every top up. There is also a 5£/month unlimited internet booster. Not sure if the latter is available on new plans though.

Virgin: 5£/Month

O2: Text & Web sim has unlimited internet with every top up. For other sims £7.50 per month

Orange: Dolphin sim gives you free internet. (5£ a week for other sims which I agree is expensive)

Vodafone : Expensive for everything really.

So unless you have a Vodafone, I am not sure who charges 25£/month for internet.

That said, i do agree that I find offline navigation much better.

Dolphin only gives you 50mb data allowance even if you top up £30 the previous month, and vodafone gives you unlimited data for £1 a day lol

olafos

Jan 13, 2010
I bought the phone PRECISELY because it was internet based... now don't get me wrong... I'm not paying a ****load of money to any providers. I use most of the Internet features in WiFi mode. Usually you are commuting between all the same places anyway. There I use VOIP with sipdroid, which works like a charm... even to standard foreign phones it's way cheaper than standard rates inside my provider's net. I pay an additional of 3-4 Euros per month for 100 MB, so I can get email on the go. Never reached that limit. Oh, and it's on a prepaid base... In summary I pay a maximum of about 15 Euros per month (including sip etc.), usually less.

peterc10

Aug 3, 2008
These deals in the UK rarely offer truly "unlimited" data, although they are often sold as doing so. Most offer some sort of "fiar use" policy, which says go over "x" in a month too often and we will start charging. And "x" can be as low as 500Mb (Orange).

But you must also remember that this is an international forum and many people are not from the UK, so what is the norm here will not be elsewhere. Data costs are often exhorbitantly high in other countries.

And roaming is important to many people. It would cost me a fortune if I was to download maps on the go when I visit Europe and the USA.

DJBenson

Aug 3, 2005
Back on topic for a moment, I can whole heartedly recommend Sygic Mobile Maps for Android navigation, I've used it on WinMob, Symbian and now Android and it's a superb product. The map data is from Teleatlas (who remember are now owned by TomTom) so it's as close to "TomTom" on Android as you can get.

Have a look at Sygic.com for full details.

gudge

Sep 20, 2009
I recommend Copilot 8. I use it mainly in the UK, but also used it to navigate around Italy last week, worked really well. Probaly a bit more fiddly than TomTom to set a destination or favorite, but once thats done it just works. You need a car charger cable really, otherwise the battery will be dead in a couple of hours.

ZED_pt

Feb 20, 2008
Linda-a-Velha
Strange no one mentions NDrive...

I used Tom Tom 6/7,Co Pilot and Ndrive and i can say Ndrive is much better then the other 2.

And is avayable in almost every country...unless off course,you are planning to go to Chad,Somalia or something like that.

And the 3D maps are awesome,but consume more battery.

wywywywy

Oct 27, 2005
www.wywywywy.com
Personal favourites are -

Sygic - Road sign display, helps a lot at night day with poor illumination
Copilot - God-like live traffic display, helped me avoid traffic jams many times

Both are better than TomTom in my opinion, but TomTom still has the most intelligent routing, particularly noticeable in the country-side.