[ROM] VanillaRocket - Mods please close this topic

Search This thread

fuse1820

Oct 28, 2006
UPDATE 4
Hello all,

Pending a new release for this ROM, I will stop supporting the "0.3" version originally posted.

I would like some help deciding cosmetics & features next release before it goes live. Please complete the following brief survey:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VJRLWRZ

A lot of fixes and changes have been made and requests have been accounted for as long as they do not deviate from the nature of this ROM being clean, functional, stable, good-looking, and ready to be a base for future devs. The appearance will be very AOSP-ish but with traces of TouchWiz.

Heads up: there will be no XLoud\Beats Audio by default. We have enough audio issues as it is and these are IMHO not any better than using DSPManager (aside from having the cute Sony\Beats branding stamped on them).

I'm not releasing anything until I fix the damn call echo issue ...worst case scenario I will workaround it by keeping Noise Reduction off. But I want to fix it :)

Q&A: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=24253640
General questions? post in the above link...it will help me keep track better :)

^^
I no longer wish to have two seperate topics. So post here...but wait till the next release before you do ;)

First of all, thank you to Racing19969 and anybody else associated with the Skyrocket ICS port...you made this possible.
Also want to thank CyanogenMod (<3) and the original author of DSP Manager (will find credits tomorrow) from which I borrowing DSP Manager for this ROM
The goal: to make a CLEAN, no frills alien TouchWiz + ICS rom. Its not meant to be exciting or have a crazy amount of hacks in it. In fact as of right now, the only packages added from the community are SuperUser and DSP Manager. And I don't plan on changing that.

Current status is...the ROM is running and its running QUICK. But there are some minor issues to be worked out and some beautification to be done.

The priorities:
Stability
Friendliness
Battery Life

If you are going to comment without constructive criticism, then just look away from this thread. The ROM is what it is. If you are going to install it, I would appreciate pointing out as many bugs as you can :)

For right now (temporarily): I did add the wonderful, feather-weight Zeam Launcher alongside TouchWiz...this is because I had issues with TW force closing on me early on in the modification process. So until more progress is made on this ROM, I've decided to keep it in there in such an event that TW decides to be unhappy and constantly force close.

A *lot* of bloatware was removed, especially from AT&T and some of Samsung's own social/media/diary/etc packages. I want this ROM to be STABLE, fast, and clean.

Next release ETA:VERY VERY SOON. NOW THAT AUTO ROTATE WORKS :-D

That being said, there are still issues to be worked out. Here is the list of changes made right now:
  • Added DSPManager from update-cm-9-20120330-NIGHTLY-galaxys2-signed, not functional ATM
  • Added Gallery, Mms, and Shutdown from GT-I9100 XWKI4 ROM; This fixes the shutdown issue, the Gallery landscape resize issue, and the delete SMS thread FC issue
  • Also added Browser from GT-I9100 XWKI4 ROM; not only is it more stable but the Search icon is fixed in its place and it has more features
  • Added apns-conf.xml from above CM9 nightly
  • International Galaxy S2 boot animation (AT&T anim is hideous)
  • Removed many many bloat; I'll try to compile a better list later
  • Added latest version of Polaris Office from T-Mobile ROM...It's a simple, lightweight, and pretty good doc editor/viewer
  • Already rooted

TODO:
  • Merge racie's unsecure Skyrocket Kernel COMPLETE
  • ^^ Transform samsung boot animation to a ZIP to work with above kernel
  • Remove traces of Software Update COMPLETE
  • Put back the 2G - 3G / band select setting in our Settings menu Priority
  • Identify as SGH-T989 in build.prop
  • Removing AT&T contact sync wizard from Contacts.apk, also restore Contacts to the dialer tabs IN PROGRESS
  • Revisit shutdown issue IN PROGRESS
  • CWM flashable patch for the Skyrocket folks
  • Remove AT&T VM icon in Phone dialer
  • Fix T-Mo Voicemail indicator SMS Priority
  • Fix Auto-Rotation (perhaps by modifying Framework \ WindowListener) FIXED FOR NEXT RELEASE / PATCH AVAILABLE NOW :)
  • Remove remaining traces of AT&T Bloatware
  • Modify TouchWiz default home screen XML so that widget_service_v0.1.4_shared.apk can be removed from the system/app folder entirely prior to emptying the home screens COMPLETE
  • Remove debugging / service testing apps
  • Wi-Fi calling for T-Mobile
  • Change ugly status bar icons to stock ICS style; remove AM/PM indicator, and remove carrier label from status bar itself IN PROGRESS
  • Optimize PNGs, zipalign
  • Call echo and RIL issues; improve call quality IN PROGRESS Priority
  • Add quick toggles due to demand IN PROGRESS
  • Set up bug tracker website
  • Default Market to Play Store
  • A "Tweaks" menu to make some important modifications but without necessitating manual editing or downloading a lot of stuff from Market

PRIOR TO INSTALLING: Make sure you superwipe with DARKSIDE's SUPERWIPE script.

And finally...
the link (flash with CWM):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50663221/CleanICS0.3.zip

MIRROR:
http://www.4shared.com/zip/9iWiyyMY/CleanICS03.html

Thank you to markusf21 for providing the above mirror. Bandwidth costs money, so please give this user a thanks!!

PS, my personal opinion...install the Telus radio. no echo issues thus far. But if you don't know what a radio is....don't do it.
Update: I have big suspicions that this is a RIL or qualcomm audio config issue. It is now the priority problem which I will look to tomorrow..

Last edited:

raycaster3

Apr 17, 2011
S.Ogden
Hopefully I can get this one to boot. Raver's just gives me booltloops to eat. We'll give this a run. I'll report back.

Edit: booted right up and is going well. Nothing too crazy yet. Will keep you posted.

Youtube played well and video was right on. I could actually hold it in landscape and watch video with not much effort.
>>DARKSIDE

Last edited:

Lantek23

May 3, 2011
Orlando, Fl.
I have been running the port for the past 3 days and the only issue I have is the rotate and I know that's a kernel issue but that port took many flashes and reboots. Let's see if this one is easier to install and I'll report later.

Edit : I always use darkside wipe just like on my transformer there some kind of wipe just like it and I'm so glad that the gs2 has it too.
Sent from Samsung Galaxy S II

Last edited:
Reactions: bakihanna

fuse1820

Oct 28, 2006
It's important to to siperwipe. Darksides script works perfectly everytime, but prior to using it it took me many attempts to flash the leak. I am looking into hacking usermode android into invertig the kernels auto rotation parameters. Dirty hack but I believe it is possible

ArmoMafia

Feb 4, 2012
by looking at the change log I think you are on the right track! I do have one question, on the ics skyrocket leak, I noticed there is a lot of freezing and watching streamed videos is damn near impossible it lags beyond belief, so I was wondering if you had a chance to take a look at some streamed videos.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA

fuse1820

Oct 28, 2006
Somebody offered me to mirror via PM. I just asked him to help me out :)

Edit

much gratitude to markusf21 for helping me out
Link coming in 15min
MD5 sum: d5206397a40483cd017e3c3295f8a1c3

Last edited:

Skorpion_

Feb 20, 2012
It really works well ty. One question the ics youtube is ridiculous is it possible to bring back the GB app?

Sent from my t989 --- SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA

Reactions: phakeorama

fuse1820

Oct 28, 2006
Mirror on the way...
Screenshots I will try my best to do tonight, although I do not think I can until tomorrow (~12 hours from now since we're all in different timezones)

I'm not into any drastic theming, so there is not much specialty here. I like clean and simplicity....I cannot BELIEVE AT&T and Samsung even plan on releasing the current ROM they have for Skyrocket. It's bloated to hell.

EDIT:
If anybody can confirm the following MD5 with the mirror:
d5206397a40483cd017e3c3295f8a1c3

I appreciate it. I just want to make sure I calculated the right one and that the mirror is also the same.

Last edited:

sarni84

May 17, 2011
Levittown, PA
Hopefully I can get this one to boot. Raver's just gives me booltloops to eat. We'll give this a run. I'll report back.

Edit: booted right up and is going well. Nothing too crazy yet. Will keep you posted.

Youtube played well and video was right on. I could actually hold it in landscape and watch video with not much effort.
>>DARKSIDE

How did u get youtube in landscape? I have the hacked hd ics youtube pushed into system apps . It works great but no landscape.....is it the youtube that comes with the rom? Oh and for a camera fix use camera zoom fx...;) it will actually show pics the right way in gallery and send to people the right way too. For portrait shots just hit menu and rotate once

fuse1820

Oct 28, 2006
How did u get youtube in landscape? I have the hacked hd ics youtube pushed into system apps . It works great but no landscape.....is it the youtube that comes with the rom? Oh and for a camera fix use camera zoom fx...;) it will actually show pics the right way in gallery and send to people the right way too. For portrait shots just hit menu and rotate once

Well since our auto rotate is broken, I just turned it on and physically put the phone in portrait mode. LOL
And agreed at Camera Zoom FX. Like it a lot. If the autorotate fix doesn't work out, I will compile an ICS camera locked to landscape mode**.

@Skorpion_

I will look into it, hopefully in the next 24 hours.

ArmoMafia

Feb 4, 2012
Mirror on the way...
Screenshots I will try my best to do tonight, although I do not think I can until tomorrow (~12 hours from now since we're all in different timezones)

I'm not into any drastic theming, so there is not much specialty here. I like clean and simplicity....I cannot BELIEVE AT&T and Samsung even plan on releasing the current ROM they have for Skyrocket. It's bloated to hell.

No worries man take your time you earned it buddy!!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA

raycaster3

Apr 17, 2011
S.Ogden

I started the video then turned on screen rotation then held in vertically and slowly moved to horizontal and voila. I used the YouTube app that came in the rom.

The only real gripe I have right now is that the sideways scrolling16 panel toggle (thanks lidroid & RaverX3X) and the folders ui in gtab simiclock is pretty sticky, from lack of a better word. I'm sure it's due to the rotation issue. Looking good so far. Adwex hauls ass on this rom.
Oh yeah and vignette is great for pics too, alas youbhv to go into gallery and rotate them. Snaps em quickly tho. No delay like the stock camera.

>>DARKSIDE

Last edited:

sarni84

May 17, 2011
Levittown, PA
I started the video then turned on screen rotation then held in vertically and slowly moved to horizontal and voila. I used the YouTube app that came in the rom.

The only real gripe I have right now is that the sideways scrolling16 panel toggle (thanks lidroid & RaverX3X) and the folders ui in gtab simiclock is pretty sticky, from lack of a better word. I'm sure it's due to the rotation issue. Looking good so far. Adwex hauls ass on this rom.

>>DARKSIDE

Ok gotcha now...:)

wali01x

Nov 13, 2010
Brampton, Ontario
if this is from ics leak from our skyrocket then im just gonna flash this :D .. it'll make life easier since somethings like rotation issue won't be there haha.. good job dev. and will wait for your update..

edit: also if u need a theme im working on fully revamped ics theme which will blow minds :eek::) let me know im on i727 forum

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE 4
    Hello all,

Pending a new release for this ROM, I will stop supporting the "0.3" version originally posted.

I would like some help deciding cosmetics & features next release before it goes live. Please complete the following brief survey:
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VJRLWRZ

A lot of fixes and changes have been made and requests have been accounted for as long as they do not deviate from the nature of this ROM being clean, functional, stable, good-looking, and ready to be a base for future devs. The appearance will be very AOSP-ish but with traces of TouchWiz.

Heads up: there will be no XLoud\Beats Audio by default. We have enough audio issues as it is and these are IMHO not any better than using DSPManager (aside from having the cute Sony\Beats branding stamped on them).

I'm not releasing anything until I fix the damn call echo issue ...worst case scenario I will workaround it by keeping Noise Reduction off. But I want to fix it :)

Q&A: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=24253640
    General questions? post in the above link...it will help me keep track better :)

^^
    I no longer wish to have two seperate topics. So post here...but wait till the next release before you do ;)

First of all, thank you to Racing19969 and anybody else associated with the Skyrocket ICS port...you made this possible.
    Also want to thank CyanogenMod (<3) and the original author of DSP Manager (will find credits tomorrow) from which I borrowing DSP Manager for this ROM
    The goal: to make a CLEAN, no frills alien TouchWiz + ICS rom. Its not meant to be exciting or have a crazy amount of hacks in it. In fact as of right now, the only packages added from the community are SuperUser and DSP Manager. And I don't plan on changing that.

Current status is...the ROM is running and its running QUICK. But there are some minor issues to be worked out and some beautification to be done.

The priorities:
    Stability
    Friendliness
    Battery Life

If you are going to comment without constructive criticism, then just look away from this thread. The ROM is what it is. If you are going to install it, I would appreciate pointing out as many bugs as you can :)

For right now (temporarily): I did add the wonderful, feather-weight Zeam Launcher alongside TouchWiz...this is because I had issues with TW force closing on me early on in the modification process. So until more progress is made on this ROM, I've decided to keep it in there in such an event that TW decides to be unhappy and constantly force close.

A *lot* of bloatware was removed, especially from AT&T and some of Samsung's own social/media/diary/etc packages. I want this ROM to be STABLE, fast, and clean.

Next release ETA:VERY VERY SOON. NOW THAT AUTO ROTATE WORKS :-D

That being said, there are still issues to be worked out. Here is the list of changes made right now:
    • Added DSPManager from update-cm-9-20120330-NIGHTLY-galaxys2-signed, not functional ATM
    • Added Gallery, Mms, and Shutdown from GT-I9100 XWKI4 ROM; This fixes the shutdown issue, the Gallery landscape resize issue, and the delete SMS thread FC issue
    • Also added Browser from GT-I9100 XWKI4 ROM; not only is it more stable but the Search icon is fixed in its place and it has more features
    • Added apns-conf.xml from above CM9 nightly
    • International Galaxy S2 boot animation (AT&T anim is hideous)
    • Removed many many bloat; I'll try to compile a better list later
    • Added latest version of Polaris Office from T-Mobile ROM...It's a simple, lightweight, and pretty good doc editor/viewer
    • Already rooted

TODO:
    • Merge racie's unsecure Skyrocket Kernel COMPLETE
    • ^^ Transform samsung boot animation to a ZIP to work with above kernel
    • Remove traces of Software Update COMPLETE
    • Put back the 2G - 3G / band select setting in our Settings menu Priority
    • Identify as SGH-T989 in build.prop
    • Removing AT&T contact sync wizard from Contacts.apk, also restore Contacts to the dialer tabs IN PROGRESS
    • Revisit shutdown issue IN PROGRESS
    • CWM flashable patch for the Skyrocket folks
    • Remove AT&T VM icon in Phone dialer
    • Fix T-Mo Voicemail indicator SMS Priority
    • Fix Auto-Rotation (perhaps by modifying Framework \ WindowListener) FIXED FOR NEXT RELEASE / PATCH AVAILABLE NOW :)
    • Remove remaining traces of AT&T Bloatware
    • Modify TouchWiz default home screen XML so that widget_service_v0.1.4_shared.apk can be removed from the system/app folder entirely prior to emptying the home screens COMPLETE
    • Remove debugging / service testing apps
    • Wi-Fi calling for T-Mobile
    • Change ugly status bar icons to stock ICS style; remove AM/PM indicator, and remove carrier label from status bar itself IN PROGRESS
    • Optimize PNGs, zipalign
    • Call echo and RIL issues; improve call quality IN PROGRESS Priority
    • Add quick toggles due to demand IN PROGRESS
    • Set up bug tracker website
    • Default Market to Play Store
    • A "Tweaks" menu to make some important modifications but without necessitating manual editing or downloading a lot of stuff from Market

PRIOR TO INSTALLING: Make sure you superwipe with DARKSIDE's SUPERWIPE script.

And finally...
    the link (flash with CWM):
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50663221/CleanICS0.3.zip

MIRROR:
    http://www.4shared.com/zip/9iWiyyMY/CleanICS03.html

Thank you to markusf21 for providing the above mirror. Bandwidth costs money, so please give this user a thanks!!

PS, my personal opinion...install the Telus radio. no echo issues thus far. But if you don't know what a radio is....don't do it.
    Update: I have big suspicions that this is a RIL or qualcomm audio config issue. It is now the priority problem which I will look to tomorrow..
    Guys..
    think I nailed auto rotate. About to flash the modified files to see
    Here and working...
    I want to cover for more issues before uploading.
    Will be a couple hours....sorry about the bad ETA:eek:
    Work is about to resume

Expect a big update in a few hours

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium
    racing's kernel is making it in the next release
    as well as some TouchWiz mods (remove carrier label from status bar, AM/PM, at&t bs, etc)
    So this has taken me a little longer than few hours. But I don't want to make a ****ty release so I'm going to keep working.

AutoRotate...ALMOST THERE. Its just taking me a lot of reboots and dalvik wipes
    @markusf21...by modifying the framework.jar....specifically playing with android\view\WindowOrientationListener.smali
    Essentially it is a dirty hack tricking Android into taking this kernel's rotate values