Car charger with AC "Like" wiring

Search This thread

Chura

May 28, 2010
Hi

When using GPS on my HOX while charging at car, the phone usually drain more battery then the charge speed, meaning i see msg of less then 30% if i want to exit.
then i searched online and i found that if the Phone find the car charger it usually change charging to 500ma and not the 1000ma usually.

1. How can i check the charging Amp ? i wont to test few of my car chargers.
2. Can anyone recommend of good AC like car charger ?
i found some Kinsington and Griffin 2.1A ones, but i'm quite sure its for iPad and still be recognized as DC (0.5A)

Chura

May 28, 2010
I have to original one, and its 5v/1A

but i still read that DC identified charger gives 500ma instead of 1A in the AC one.

rasterX

Jan 28, 2008
Los Angeles
Many chargers designed for iOS devices will only charge non-Apple devices at 500mA even if the charger is rated at 1A. The Battery Status will read "Charging (USB)" instead of "Charging (AC)". You can often fix this by shorting the middle two USB leads in the charger (in Type A connectors, these are the data lines). Or you can get a charge-only cable which essentially does the same thing:

http://www.amazon.com/Naztech-Micro-USB-Charging-Cable/dp/B003VYBCAY

Reactions: endolith
D

Deleted member 2496007

The problem you are having is that most OEM car charger manufacturers don’t appreciate how our smartphones work, and they neglect to short the two data pins out in your charger.

When you plug your official HTC wall charger in, the phone detects that the two unnecessary data pins are shorted out (as obviously HTC know to do this) and the phone will not limit it’s own charge to 500mA.

Use an unofficial charger, and the phone see no short on the data pins and so assumes it’s plugged into a PC/laptop USB port, and will restrict it’s own charging to 500mA to prevent damage to a motherboard.

Your car charger may very well be capable of dishing out 1A, but they manufacturers just didn’t appreciate what they need to do to tell your phone to start taking it.

I have had this trouble before, and there are a couple of options.

1) Only use official HTC car charger.
2) Take a spare charging cable, and carefully peel back the insulation. Then carefully cut back the screen. You’ll find 4 wires. Red, black, green & white. It is the green and white that are data. Cut these. The end of the cable that plugs into the phone, twist the white and green cables together. Insulate with electrical tape. Tape the cable back up. NEVER USE THIS CABLE WITH A PC/LAPTOP. But you should now find you charge at AC.

Been using a modified cable in my car charger for years, including with this HOX with no problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

omar302

Feb 15, 2006
Doha
HTC 10
OnePlus 7 Pro
Check the "battery use" under settings>power.

While charging, it will say "Charging (USB)" or "Charging (AC)". If it is charging (AC), then your cable is ok, just make sure your charger's output rating is 5V x 1A.

Also, note that if your in a hot country, and your phone is under the windsheild, under sunlight, the phone would heat up & not charge (light will flash red).

Reactions: Chura

Chura

May 28, 2010
wnp_79, can i just disassemble the car charger and make the bridge there ?

D

Deleted member 2496007

wnp_79, can i just disassemble the car charger and make the bridge there ?

Yes. The data pins are the two center ones I think. Should be obvious add they wont be connected to anything else in the charger. Good luck!

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

Last edited by a moderator:

1000moths

Nov 16, 2010
Yes. The data pins are the two center ones I think. Should be obvious add they wont be connected to anything else in the charger. Good luck!

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

I did this with my Griffin charger, was pretty easy to disassemble and solder the two middle pins together, now shows as charging AC.

cdettman

Sep 19, 2008

Just purchased a PowerJolt on Amazon and noticed there were a few user-uploaded photos showing which pins soldered together. You are correct, it's the two center pins.

Interestingly, one buyer noted that their pins were already soldered together from the factory.

Source/Photos: http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B0042B9U8Q/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0&isremote=0

61X6TmJ7RLL.jpg

stuart0001

Jan 9, 2011
Hampton
I think there's a bit more to it than simply shorting the data wires.

I'd try the official hox cable in the charger before messing with wires. For some reason 3rd party cables show as ac for me but the power level is severely reduced compared to the official.

*chung*

Mar 29, 2008
Has anyone tried the HTC CC C100 or CC C200?

Bought the eBay car charger that was recommended earlier, but still get USB charging with it in my 05 Focus + the HTC charging cable
- Could my car the problem????

Anyway was looking at either the Griffin PowerJolt that was also recommended earlier or the official car charger
- Just want to make sure I get AC charging when using GPS!

stuart0001

Jan 9, 2011
Hampton
*chung* said:

Bought the eBay car charger that was recommended earlier, but still get USB charging with it in my 05 Focus + the HTC charging cable

Anyway was looking at either the Griffin PowerJolt that was also recommended earlier or the official car charger

I've got the c200 and it works at full ac speed as long as I use an official htc cable with it.

Reactions: *chung*

*chung*

Mar 29, 2008
Bought CC C200 from Amazon (£4.69 from 3rd party seller, but fulfilled by Amazon)

Does give AC charging =)

Need to do some more testing, as I get AC charging using the "curly" HTC cable I got with the CC C200, with one of the other USB car chargers I have + want to double check that phone doesn't drain, using GPS even with AC charging

=)

*chung*

Mar 29, 2008
From the testing done so far, even with AC charging - it doesn't provide enough power to run GPS (CoPilot), without losing charge & was running Core Control - using 2 cores

Going to test another car to start ruling things out =(

Andy

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 21, 2008
UK
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
From the testing done so far, even with AC charging - it doesn't provide enough power to run GPS (CoPilot), without losing charge & was running Core Control - using 2 cores

Going to test another car to start ruling things out =(

I use CoPilot (v8) quite a bit, mine manages to hold charge and stay topped up.
I think being in (not very sunny UK) helps as if the One X is in direct sunlight it will warm up, add charging and use and you have a recipe for heat.

Maybe try directing an AC vent on to your handset.

Xrayfk05

Apr 7, 2007

Install something like Battery Monitor and check how fast it is charging (when battery is < 80% full).
If it is < 500mah it's your charger.

I am using a Brodit holder and my One X charges when using Sygic, on full brightness and no tweaks.

*chung*

Mar 29, 2008
Battery Monitor Widget Pro installed - monitoring seems funny, as it seems to update every few minutes, rather than "real-time"

Managed to get 1 charger / cable combination to charge AC and only just provide less power than needed (i.e. battery still went down, but a lot slower than other combos)

Still testing, but appreciate all the suggestions! Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D
    Deleted member 2496007
    The problem you are having is that most OEM car charger manufacturers don’t appreciate how our smartphones work, and they neglect to short the two data pins out in your charger.

When you plug your official HTC wall charger in, the phone detects that the two unnecessary data pins are shorted out (as obviously HTC know to do this) and the phone will not limit it’s own charge to 500mA.

Use an unofficial charger, and the phone see no short on the data pins and so assumes it’s plugged into a PC/laptop USB port, and will restrict it’s own charging to 500mA to prevent damage to a motherboard.

Your car charger may very well be capable of dishing out 1A, but they manufacturers just didn’t appreciate what they need to do to tell your phone to start taking it.

I have had this trouble before, and there are a couple of options.

1) Only use official HTC car charger.
    2) Take a spare charging cable, and carefully peel back the insulation. Then carefully cut back the screen. You’ll find 4 wires. Red, black, green & white. It is the green and white that are data. Cut these. The end of the cable that plugs into the phone, twist the white and green cables together. Insulate with electrical tape. Tape the cable back up. NEVER USE THIS CABLE WITH A PC/LAPTOP. But you should now find you charge at AC.

Been using a modified cable in my car charger for years, including with this HOX with no problems.
    its not AC or DC that effects the current output of the device

you simply need to find a car charger with a 5 watt (5 volt @ 1 amp) output

like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Griffin-GC2...W6/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1338119269&sr=8-12

note the iphone compatibility is simply because they include an ipod cable, use the HOX cable and you'll be fine
    Many chargers designed for iOS devices will only charge non-Apple devices at 500mA even if the charger is rated at 1A. The Battery Status will read "Charging (USB)" instead of "Charging (AC)". You can often fix this by shorting the middle two USB leads in the charger (in Type A connectors, these are the data lines). Or you can get a charge-only cable which essentially does the same thing:

http://www.amazon.com/Naztech-Micro-USB-Charging-Cable/dp/B003VYBCAY
    Check the "battery use" under settings>power.

While charging, it will say "Charging (USB)" or "Charging (AC)". If it is charging (AC), then your cable is ok, just make sure your charger's output rating is 5V x 1A.

Also, note that if your in a hot country, and your phone is under the windsheild, under sunlight, the phone would heat up & not charge (light will flash red).
    *chung* said:

I've got the c200 and it works at full ac speed as long as I use an official htc cable with it.