Thanks Meter: 4,832

Post Reply Email Thread
26th October 2019, 01:55 AM |#14021  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 102

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmm11

If I had to guess I'd say that you somehow turned off Systemless Hosts in Magisk. Verify that /data/adb/modules/hosts/system/etc/hosts exists and that /data/adb/modules/hosts/disable does not.

jcmm11:

Thanks for replying. That was one of the first things I checked:

/data/adb/modules/hosts/system/etc/hosts exists and /data/adb/modules/hosts/disable definitely does not.

I even uninstalled Adaway and made sure that Systemless Hosts was enabled correctly in Magisk, then reinstalled Adaway.

Same problem. The LogCat doesn't show much either which is even more weird?

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalrusInAnus

The image doesn't open. This site is really useless.

I'll check the app.

---------- Post added at 16:59 ---------- Previous post was at 16:55 ----------

The hosts file is 1.7MB, so I guess it's fine.

This site is FAR from useless. You are being lazy and not willing to put in the time to READ anything to learn how to do it correctly. The information is right in front of you.
26th October 2019, 02:27 AM |#14022  
Thanks Meter: 2,423

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariosaraylian

jcmm11:

Thanks for replying. That was one of the first things I checked:

/data/adb/modules/hosts/system/etc/hosts exists and /data/adb/modules/hosts/disable definitely does not.

I even uninstalled Adaway and made sure that Systemless Hosts was enabled correctly in Magisk, then reinstalled Adaway.

Same problem. The LogCat doesn't show much either which is even more weird?

Edit: Make sure you don't have core only mode enabled in MM.

Have you double checked the "target hosts file" is correct in preferences for your device?

What is your device?

There is a setting for verbose logging also in Adaway preferences.

Quote:

This site is FAR from useless. You are being lazy and not willing to put in the time to READ anything to learn how to do it correctly. The information is right in front of you.

Or, giving the benefit of the doubt, tired, frustrated, unfamiliar with this level of modification.

There was a problem with the image I posted, I edited and fixed it.
26th October 2019, 02:31 AM |#14023  
Thanks Meter: 372

More
Adaway a game changer

(09-09-18)
26th October 2019, 07:12 AM |#14024  
Flag Los Angeles

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmom

Edit: Make sure you don't have core only mode enabled in MM.

Have you double checked the "target hosts file" is correct in preferences for your device?

What is your device?

There is a setting for verbose logging also in Adaway preferences.

Or, giving the benefit of the doubt, tired, frustrated, unfamiliar with this level of modification.

There was a problem with the image I posted, I edited and fixed it.

ktmom:

Core Mode Only is definitely not enabled in MM. The Target Hosts file is the same as it always has been since I've used AA for years and it worked fine.

Device is an HTC-10. Target hosts file path is /system/etc/hosts.

Not sure if this would matter but Allow Whitelisting is checked in AA. I will enable Verbose Logging and run another LogCat and post.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. I feel naked without AA running on the phone LOL!
26th October 2019, 08:12 AM |#14025  
Thanks Meter: 1,638

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0han

i don't have systemless hosts module enabled and yet adaway works for me on android 10. not idea how, but, i'd like to know - if someone has an explanation.

+1. Working without systemless hosts
OP6T
OB1( Android 10)
26th October 2019, 08:46 AM |#14026  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariosaraylian

A site that is infested with ads and scripts, takes ten seconds to load and doesn't even show attachments IS useless.
From technical standpoint, not because of content. We understand each other now?
26th October 2019, 12:18 PM |#14027  
Flag Београд (Beograd/Belgrade/Griechisch Weißenburg/Alba Graeca; Alba Bulgarica)
Thanks Meter: 2,270

More
Quote:

A site that is infested with ads and scripts, takes ten seconds to load and doesn't even show attachments IS useless.
From technical standpoint, not because of content. We understand each other now?

I don't see any ads here because of AdAway with standard hostsources list.

Btw you may use Fennec F-Droid (a FLOSS browser based on firefox) - https://f-droid.org/app/org.mozilla.fennec_fdroid - with ublock-origin to visit XDA without seeing ads (as long as you are having trouble with AdAway).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guest4711 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift guest4711 Ad-Free
26th October 2019, 02:02 PM |#14028  
Flag Los Angeles

More
Quote:

Is this the Walrus talking right now? No, we do not, because I have NO idea what you are referring to. What site? XDA, this site?
26th October 2019, 04:41 PM |#14029  
Forum Moderator
Flag Chennai
Thanks Meter: 1,880

More
MOD ACTION:

Guys, Please be respectful towards each other. And watch your language. You all know XDA's Rules, no flaming, offensive, disrespectful posts or trolling will be tolerated. Please do not invite MOD ACTION.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to TNSMANI For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TNSMANI Ad-Free
26th October 2019, 07:49 PM |#14030  
Thanks Meter: 67

More
Hi, I am looking for hosts sources, to block ads for steaming sites, movies and sports...
I always diagnosed, my browser, with and without AdAway enabled, enable it is blocking simple ads, as shopping, ads on sites where I am simply reading articles are blocked as expected.
Unfortunately, when I want to stream some movie or watch sport on my Tab, it is very penible, ads are opening as hell.
AdAway v.4.2.9
PS: here are the sources, I have being using for a while, some seems, to dont be able to be updated, or dead, dont know...
So I am unable to add knew sources, because I could not find new.
Thx, for any support or if somebody kind provided some sources, to be effectives
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191026-200552_AdAway.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	4856805  
26th October 2019, 09:01 PM |#14031  
Thanks Meter: 2,423

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by saoudien07

Hi, I am looking for hosts sources, to block ads for steaming sites, movies and sports...
I always diagnosed, my browser, with and without AdAway enabled, enable it is blocking simple ads, as shopping, ads on sites where I am simply reading articles are blocked as expected.
Unfortunately, when I want to stream some movie or watch sport on my Tab, it is very penible, ads are opening as hell.
AdAway v.4.2.9
PS: here are the sources, I have being using for a while, some seems, to dont be able to be updated, or dead, dont know...
So I am unable to add knew sources, because I could not find new.
Thx, for any support or if somebody kind provided some sources, to be effectives

DNS ad blocking, such as Adaway does, has limitations. One of those limitations is the inability to block embedded ads, ads served from IP addresses rather than domain names, basically anything that does not make a call to DNS.

If you believe that your problem is purely a domain not existing in your sources, then use DNS logging and black list suspect domains.

You might also consider a browser that supports a uBlock Origin plugin. Searching this thread will bring up multiple discussions on uBlock.
The Following User Says Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)