Thanks Meter: 4,832

Post Reply Email Thread
29th October 2019, 01:42 PM |#14051  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paschfire

What?
Read the instructions that you were provided within @martyfender's previous response.

From within Magisk Manager settings, enable Systemless Host from there;

MM{Hamburger menu > Settings } > scrolling down and press/enable Systemless Host.

thanks it working!!
29th October 2019, 05:05 PM |#14052  
Flag Indianapolis, IN
Thanks Meter: 1,568

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGalactus179

can you provide me that module ?

Seriously? Search back, there are many, many, posts about this, and how to enable it.
29th October 2019, 10:05 PM |#14053  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 102

More
Copy Failed of Hosts File Update
martyfender & ktmom:

Here is the verbose logcat of whats going on. I am still getting the "Copy Failed" error when I try to update hosts and at "Bulding Hosts File" stages in AA.

For the sake of diagnosing, I cleared the App Data and Cache and restarted AA. When I did that it shows "Enabled Newest host filed enabled" (with the green check mark), but when I tap "Check for Updates", I see "Update Available: newer hosts files available", then I tap "Update Hosts" after it downloads the current hosts files and it says "Applying, building hosts file", that is exactly when I get the "Copy Failed" error.

This is driving me NUTS!

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!
Attached Files
File Type: txt 2019-10-29-13-02-07.txt - [Click for QR Code] (3.7 KB, 12 views)
30th October 2019, 12:09 AM |#14054  
Thanks Meter: 2,420

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariosaraylian

martyfender & ktmom:

Here is the verbose logcat of whats going on. I am still getting the "Copy Failed" error when I try to update hosts and at "Bulding Hosts File" stages in AA.

For the sake of diagnosing, I cleared the App Data and Cache and restarted AA. When I did that it shows "Enabled Newest host filed enabled" (with the green check mark), but when I tap "Check for Updates", I see "Update Available: newer hosts files available", then I tap "Update Hosts" after it downloads the current hosts files and it says "Applying, building hosts file", that is exactly when I get the "Copy Failed" error.

This is driving me NUTS!

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

That enhanced log didn't help . I was kinda hoping for the path that was being used.

I scanned back through the thread/your posts, and I don't see what version of Magisk your running.

Somewhere around Magisk 19.3, things changed for systemless hosts. I say that based on date stamps on the files on my device.

I have always had the systemless hosts setting enabled. On my device, I have (had) a /sbin/.magisk/modules/hosts/system/etc/ path with a hosts file that is older than my last hosts update. Disabling the systemless hosts, then rebooting had no affect on my ability to update the hosts file with Adaway.

The updated file now lives in /sbin/.magisk/mirror/system/etc. So I completely removed the systemless hosts module. As expected, there was no negative effect on updating hosts, and the file in the mirror path definitely is updated. I guess I missed a change log entry for Magisk.

So, if you are on at least Magisk 19.3 or newer, I think the systemless hosts module is a red herring.

This also is consistent with recent posts confirming that Adaway is working without systemless hosts enabled on A10. I'm sure there's changes were made due to the inability to mount / on A10. The entire partition is mirrored.

What OS and Magisk version are you on?
The Following User Says Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
30th October 2019, 02:47 AM |#14055  
Thanks Meter: 753

More
@mariosaraylian

From the steps you describe.
I didn't see you mention AdAway requesting and gaining root access.

I haven't run into it lately, for me, it was always Magisk related.
All other apps / modules seem to work fine but, AdAway always showed me when my Magisk install was broken.

I know I've seen others mention just being able to toggle SU on or off/on for AdAway in Magisk's Superuser settings. If you take a look at the log file in Magisk, you should see a su request once or twice while AdAway is updating (or attempting) to update the hosts file.

@ktmom

May be a change coming down the line but, for now I would still recommend enabling the magisk systemless module.

Just tried on my Pixel 3aXL with Magisk systemless hosts module disabled.
Looks like systemless hosts still have to be enabled in AdAway.
The hosts file is updated but can not be viewed in AdAway.
After a reboot the hosts file is back to stock and systemless in not enabled in AdAway. With the Magisk systemless hosts module enabled, AdAway works just just like it should.

(3aXL is running stock 10 and rooted with Magisk canary-debug.)

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191029-192819.png
Views:	804
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	4860413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191029-192849.png
Views:	804
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	4860415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191029-193007.png
Views:	802
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	4860417  
30th October 2019, 03:58 AM |#14056  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipdev

May be a change coming down the line but, for now I would still recommend enabling the magisk systemless module.

After a reboot the hosts file is back to stock and systemless in not enabled in AdAway. With the Magisk systemless hosts module enabled, AdAway works just just like it should.

I'm pretty convinced we'll be in a confused state with all of the different combinations of devices, software and Magisk for awhile.

While I'm on Magisk 19.3, Pie and a Pixel 3XL, my experience is very different from yours. Without systemless hosts enabled in Adaway and without systemless hosts in Magisk, I can modify and view the hosts file and after multiple reboots, everything sticks. In this case, the file is in /sbin/.magisk/mirror/system/etc

Originally, when I tested, the file was modified in the mirror directory regardless of the enabled/disabled state of the Magisk systemless hosts module.

However, if the systemless host module in Magisk is disabled, and the systemless hosts settings in Adaway is enabled, the file gets put in /sbin/.magisk/modules/.core

BUT, when I just reinstalled the systemless hosts module and rebooted (yet again), now the hosts file is placed where you would expect; /sbin/.magisk/modules/hosts/system/etc

I'm thinking that what you upgrade from/to plays into how the glitches settle out.

While I am on an "older" Magisk release, I don't think using the bleeding edge channel is a good baseline either.
The Following User Says Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
30th October 2019, 05:37 AM |#14057  
Thanks Meter: 753

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmom

I'm pretty convinced we'll be in a confused state with all of the different combinations of devices, software and Magisk for awhile.

While I'm on Magisk 19.3, Pie and a Pixel 3XL, my experience is very different from yours. Without systemless hosts enabled in Adaway and without systemless hosts in Magisk, I can modify and view the hosts file and after multiple reboots, everything sticks. In this case, the file is in /sbin/.magisk/mirror/system/etc

Originally, when I tested, the file was modified in the mirror directory regardless of the enabled/disabled state of the Magisk systemless hosts module.

However, if the systemless host module in Magisk is disabled, and the systemless hosts settings in Adaway is enabled, the file gets put in /sbin/.magisk/modules/.core

BUT, when I just reinstalled the systemless hosts module and rebooted (yet again), now the hosts file is placed where you would expect; /sbin/.magisk/modules/hosts/system/etc

I'm thinking that what you upgrade from/to plays into how the glitches settle out.

While I am on an "older" Magisk release, I don't think using the bleeding edge channel is a good baseline either.

I'm curious also.
I have noticed slight differences on device(s) when updating Magisk versus a clean flash before. (OT here.)

I did clean flash my 3aXL last week. Installed magisk and enabled systemless hosts module. Never installed AdAway until tonight after I disabled systemless module and rebooted.

I'll try to find sometime this weekend to test on a few other device.
Some are new SAR bring-up so Magisk stable 20 will be the only option on those.

Will let you know what I find out.

Cheers.
The Following User Says Thank You to ipdev For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ipdev Ad-Free
30th October 2019, 09:43 AM |#14058  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 102

More
Quote:

That enhanced log didn't help . I was kinda hoping for the path that was being used.

I scanned back through the thread/your posts, and I don't see what version of Magisk your running.

Somewhere around Magisk 19.3, things changed for systemless hosts. I say that based on date stamps on the files on my device.

I have always had the systemless hosts setting enabled. On my device, I have (had) a /sbin/.magisk/modules/hosts/system/etc/ path with a hosts file that is older than my last hosts update. Disabling the systemless hosts, then rebooting had no affect on my ability to update the hosts file with Adaway.

The updated file now lives in /sbin/.magisk/mirror/system/etc. So I completely removed the systemless hosts module. As expected, there was no negative effect on updating hosts, and the file in the mirror path definitely is updated. I guess I missed a change log entry for Magisk.

So, if you are on at least Magisk 19.3 or newer, I think the systemless hosts module is a red herring.

This also is consistent with recent posts confirming that Adaway is working without systemless hosts enabled on A10. I'm sure there's changes were made due to the inability to mount / on A10. The entire partition is mirrored.

What OS and Magisk version are you on?

Android 8.0.0 on Magisk 20.0 (20000)

I am kind of lost now because Systemless Hosts in Magisk has always been on, as well as in AA.

---------- Post added at 12:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipdev

@mariosaraylian

From the steps you describe.
I didn't see you mention AdAway requesting and gaining root access.

I haven't run into it lately, for me, it was always Magisk related.
All other apps / modules seem to work fine but, AdAway always showed me when my Magisk install was broken.

I know I've seen others mention just being able to toggle SU on or off/on for AdAway in Magisk's Superuser settings. If you take a look at the log file in Magisk, you should see a su request once or twice while AdAway is updating (or attempting) to update the hosts file.

@ktmom

Cheers.

ipdev:

I see the SuperSU prompt working fine for SuperUser Rights working just fine. I see the toast prompt and it is toggled ON in Magisk.

I am seeing conflicting information here on everyone's suggestions. Should I maybe uninstall Magisk all together and reinstall it, or just uninstall the Systemless Hosts Module in Magisk, Reboot, Clear Data in AdAway, reboot, and turn on Systemless Hosts in Magisk again, then reinstall Adaway and try again...????
30th October 2019, 10:18 AM |#14059  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
DNS Log
Hi!

I use Adaway 3.2 for several years. Looked full changelog, and did not see the change necessary for me in the latest version 4.2.9.

Can the developer add a log of blocked DNS records? This is sorely missed.

I do not use sources of hosts from a network, I add records only manually. And my own list is very large several hundred entries. And sometimes, something doesn't work because it has blocked something that is needed rarely and only for a specific situation. And then it is very difficult to find in the whole list the reason why it does not work. One by one only. It is very long and time consuming. But the log of the blocked records would allow to solve such problems very quickly! And from it it would be possible to form a white list. Which would be much shorter, and whose records need to be activated only occasionally.

Please add the log records are blocked, it is very necessary!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hifexar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Hifexar Ad-Free
30th October 2019, 02:29 PM |#14060  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariosaraylian

I am seeing conflicting information here on everyone's suggestions. Should I maybe uninstall Magisk all together and reinstall it, or just uninstall the Systemless Hosts Module in Magisk, Reboot, Clear Data in AdAway, reboot, and turn on Systemless Hosts in Magisk again, then reinstall Adaway and try again...????

You are an example of the complexity of the problem. You do not have a system as root (SAR) device*, but are on Magisk 20. I think this is the core of your problem.

I personally would be interested in what would happen if you deleted the systemless hosts module itself, rebooted, then tried to install a hosts file. It will error out again I'm sure.

Then re-enable systemless hosts which should download the module again, reboot and try again with Adaway.

If that doesn't work, I would revert Magisk to 19.3 (which was still a SAR A10 fix) or earlier. I'm sure that will work.

*SAR devices are all minimally released with 9.0

---------- Post added at 08:29 ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifexar

Please add the log records are blocked, it is very necessary!

This exists. It's called DNS logging.
30th October 2019, 02:47 PM |#14061  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:

This exists. It's called DNS logging.

In my Adaway 3.2 this DNS log does not display domains that are already blacklisted. And I need to detect attempts of applications to make DNS request which domain is already in the black list. That's what I need.

DNS Log does not allow this now. Or in 4.2.9 the log works differently, not as in 3.2?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)