Thanks Meter: 4,832

Post Reply Email Thread
6th May 2017, 07:24 AM |#9041  
Flag Scheveningen
Thanks Meter: 1,900

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralspeedy

... for some reason Adaway is unable to copy the hosts file, but I also can't change to systemless mode...

Maybe there's no space enough in the system partition. You may try to remove not used stuff. When there is at least 30Mb free there's is a chance the hosts file can be written.
You may try first to uncheck the sources in AdAway and use only one source, so the hosts file AdAway creates will be smaller.
6th May 2017, 02:42 PM |#9042  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
No url to download latest version.
6th May 2017, 03:12 PM |#9043  
Flag Banská Bystrica, Slovakia
Thanks Meter: 2,050

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paomamaw

You can download it via XDA Labs, first post or
https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/app/org.adaway

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using XDA Labs
The Following User Says Thank You to Ja_som For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ja_som Ad-Free
6th May 2017, 03:24 PM |#9044  
Recognized Contributor
Flag SLO
Thanks Meter: 5,830

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paomamaw

Both standard and dev versions in post #1.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pkt_Lnt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Pkt_Lnt Ad-Free
6th May 2017, 05:04 PM |#9045  
Thanks Meter: 133

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLBeev

Maybe there's no space enough in the system partition. You may try to remove not used stuff. When there is at least 30Mb free there's is a chance the hosts file can be written.
You may try first to uncheck the sources in AdAway and use only one source, so the hosts file AdAway creates will be smaller.

There's way more than enough space free and I'm pretty sure it would work fine if I could check off systemless. To be honest, I don't understand why the systemless option is ever greyed out. Why does the app have to detect the type of root you have before it lets you choose that option? Just let the user turn it on or off.
6th May 2017, 05:50 PM |#9046  
Flag Scheveningen

More
Quote:

... Why does the app have to detect the type of root.....
Just let the user turn it on or off.

On my Nexus 6 it's not greyed out. But I am running stock N6F27C.
In this thread I read about greyed out on devices with Magisk/Xposed.
6th May 2017, 05:55 PM |#9047  

More
Quote:

On my Nexus 6 it's not greyed out. But I am running stock N6F27C.
In this thread I read about greyed out on devices with Magisk/Xposed.

If you're on stock you're probably using SuperSU, which I specifically don't want to use because it triggers SafetyNet (Invisiblek's Lineage builds for the Pixels has a SafetyNet patch, so if I use the built in root and turn it off when I don't need it, I can pass the SafetyNet check, but with SuperSU installed, I can't), and if you're using SuperSU, then yes obviously the systemless mode won't be greyed out.
6th May 2017, 06:09 PM |#9048  
Flag Scheveningen

More
Quote:

If you're on stock you're probably using SuperSU....

That is right. But for your configuration I doubt if there's an method to tackle this issue.
The only thing I can think of, is to make it possible for AdAway to create a hosts file once. When the hosts file is created AdAway can be uninstalled. The hosts file is kept, so ads are blocked.
6th May 2017, 06:25 PM |#9049  

More
Quote:

That is right. But for your configuration I doubt if there's an method to tackle this issue.
The only thing I can think of, is to make it possible for AdAway to create a hosts file once. When the hosts file is created AdAway can be uninstalled. The hosts file is kept, so ads are blocked.

Or, it could be changed so I can enable systemless mode without the app having to detect the method of root I have to see if it would work.
6th May 2017, 09:53 PM |#9050  
Flag Scheveningen

More
Quote:

Or, it could be changed so I can enable systemless mode without the app having to detect the method of root I have to see if it would work.

Systemless mode binds the system/etc/hosts to another location. Imo toggling this mode in AdAway is not possible when it is set elsewhere.
7th May 2017, 09:07 AM |#9051  
Thanks Meter: 82

More
I'm just using host:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/St...s/master/hosts

Works great, I found stock adaway hosts weren't blocking as much seems like one host got removed so I moved to Steven Black host.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to s--c For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift s--c Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)