Just to be clear, this is not my basework, but I've assembled all the pieces and instructions to make it work for the MT4GS! Thanks to revolutionary, modaco, teamWin, eugene373, idanfima, coolbho3000 and wisefire for the easyfrevo part!
You must have the USB drivers installed for your MT4GS. (If you don't have them, you can always install HTC Sync for the Sensation, plug in your MT4GS, and it will install the correct drivers.)Permanent Root: (thanks to ikhzter for helping with some of the instructions!)
You MUST exit from the HTC Sync application for this to work!! (Right-click on the icon in the taskbar, and select Exit)
You must also have USB Debugging enabled. (Settings, Applications, Development, USB debugging)
As of this update (23 Feb 2012), this has the latest SuperUser.apk...
Unzip, and run the batch file (Run_ME_Fr3vo_ROOT.bat)...
You'll get errors like "An error occurred while running the exploit (-1) (errno: 14)", but if it also says "Exploiting device" afterwards, then it was successful!
This is temp-root, meaning that you can run apps that require root, but it'll go away when you reboot. Run the script again to get root back.
NOTE: If you don't have ADB working (or don't know what ADB is), please download the drivers and files for the temp-root above, and be sure to save the revolutionary.exe into the same directory as the temp-root solution. Make sure you have HTC fastboot drivers as well (if you don't already), which are on the Revolutionary page.I certainly welcome feedback... and I appreciate your THANKS!
Or use the tools provided here: Click-For-ADB-Windows.zip
(Zip contains ADB.EXE FASTBOOT.EXE ...)
Thank you Team Revolutionary! If you would like to be one of the first to get PERMANENT root access, then download the new Revolutionary, instructions here:
Revolutionary version 0.4pre3 or later will work with your MT4GS, but it's still a developer preview... Don't come yelling if you mess up your phone. (But do share your results, so we can collectively solve any issues!)
You'll need your serial number (Settings, About, Phone Identity), HBOOT version (only 1.44.0007 is supported now, but you can check your HBOOT by: Settings, Power, uncheck "Fast Boot", then power off, hold down volume down as you power on, the HBOOT version is at the top of the screen). Be sure to write down your Beta Key! (Or copy it to your clipboard so you can paste it into your command prompt.)
Note: you can also enter bootloader by issuing the command "adb reboot-bootloader" if you have the ADB & drivers installed (follow the Temp Root instructions above for drivers and ADB).
YOU MAY NEED TO DISABLE YOUR ANTIVIRUS PROGRAM- Norton is flagging up Revolutionary as a Virus when it isn't.
- With the phone switched on (not in HBOOT, just the regular home screen), run the revolutionary Utility you just downloaded from http://revolutionary.io/ and if it has found your device it should read
"Found your device: myTouch_4G_Slide..." (If it doesn't, see DEBUGGING, below)
- Once you have entered your beta key correctly, follow any on screen prompts or actions from revolutionary and wait for it to S-Off,
- You're done. Your Device will Successfully have S-OFF.... If you have S-off, your hboot will now be 1.44.1107
- Revolutionary will now ask you to Install clockwork recovery mod after S OFF. While you may choose to let Revolutionary do it for you (easiest, but it installs an older version with some USB charging issues), you can always do it manually, which I show below.
You now have S-OFF on your MT4GS! Woo hoo!
Next, we'll flash the latest ClockWork Recovery (v126.96.36.199 without the charging problem) if you didn't do it above: (Thanks to Paul O'Brien / Modaco!!)
- Download the ClockworkMod image file from here or here (direct mirror)
- Turn off the device.
- Boot device into bootloader (power off and boot while holding down the volume-down key, then select FASTBOOT with the power button)
- Make sure the device is in FASTBOOT and not HBOOT
- Connect the device to the computer via USB.
- On your computer, open a command prompt/terminal and run:
You should see something similar to:
List of devices attached
- Write the image to the recovery partition ('fastboot flash recovery /path/to/<recovery>.img')
- Do a recovery reboot to test (power off and boot holding down the volume-down key, select recovery)
Now you can flash the latest SuperUser. (Thanks to ChainsDD!)
- Go to http://androidsu.com/superuser/ or download it directly here.)
- Copy this file to your SD card root folder (main folder of your memory card)
- Start clockworkmod recovery (hold down the Volume-Down key while turning on the phone), select Recovery
- BACKUP YOUR ROM USING CWM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ROOT!
- Navigate to "Backup & Restore" using the Volume Down button and press select (power button to select) then select "Backup"
- Select "install zip from sdcard" after backing up
- Then select "Choose zip from sdcard"
- Then select "Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip" (or whatever file you obtained from above)
- Then select "Yes - install Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip" to confirm (some have had to flash this a few times)
- Then go back
- Then reboot.
- You're rooted!
I highly recommend going to the Market once you've rebooted and install "Busybox," which many rooted apps will assume is already installed.
Download "Root Checker" to make sure everything is done correctly!
Please help with these instructions.... provide feedback if I can make something more clear!
NEW! Video Instructions:
Click here for video instructions!
- If the Revolutionary exploit hangs or seems to be taking a very long time... or if it fails altogether, then please install my Temp-Root solution above first. Then, try the perm-root again.
- Try installing the same drivers that I listed on the first post for the Temp-Root solution. Also, make sure you've exited from HTC Sync on your PC. (it will say "out of date" if HTC Sync is still running)
- And make sure you have USB debugging enabled.
- If Revolutionary still fails to find your phone, re-verify you have all the drivers installed, (uninstall and reinstall) and try "disk drive" mode and then "charge only" mode.
- Still can't figure out how to get fastboot to work? Try this post for a quick solution.
- For those having GPS issues after this process, try installing "BusyBox" from the Market and then installing the app "FasterFix" from the Market.
HTC Nexus One
HTC My Touch 4G Slide