Other device and upgrading phone discussion

Search This thread

sokydream

Apr 29, 2013
Maybe it depends in the area but here the s4 is 199 with a contract. The s3 us going for 50 to 99, depending on the carrier.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Dvoraak

Feb 14, 2013
I'm torn on the new crop of devices. I'm a flash addict and have done TONS of reading to master the S3 and the Note 2 (gave this one up.... just too big for my liking), but now I see the S4 has a locked bootloader and same with the HTC One. I can see owning either of them but I'm just not sure I won't to go back to scratch on the learning curve. Maybe I'll just milk this S3 for all the life it has in it.

Capa1970

Oct 28, 2012
I'm torn on the new crop of devices. I'm a flash addict and have done TONS of reading to master the S3 and the Note 2 (gave this one up.... just too big for my liking), but now I see the S4 has a locked bootloader and same with the HTC One. I can see owning either of them but I'm just not sure I won't to go back to scratch on the learning curve. Maybe I'll just milk this S3 for all the life it has in it.

The S3 will keep you entertained for a while, plus many consider the S4 more like an S3s.

I'm up for renewal early next year and so am looking forward to the S5, Google X, and HTC whatever. But, I'm not going to lie, the LG Optimus G Pro with its 5.5 in screen and $200 price has me salivating. It's $100 less than the Note 2 but has a significantly faster processor. Of course, I could wait for the next iteration of the Optimus as well. The nice thing about Android is that you have many options.

crixley

May 25, 2012
Got a note 2 and all I can say is wow... this thing is incredible. The battery lasts forever and it is so fast and smooth. Easily the best phone I've ever owned

malickie

Oct 14, 2009
Austin, TX
Well from all the reviews I read on Quad-Core Cellphones they really are not truly Quad anyway. 2 of the cores operate for intensive applications and the other 2 go into a stand by type of mode. When doing less intensive stuff the other 2 kick in and the others go to sleep. So really you still are basically operating a Dual Core phone unless custom kernels can come up with a way to utilize all 4 at one time. As far as size goes, I can see many of the phones breaking unless you have a decent case and screen protector due to sliding out of pockets. At any, just got my SGS3 so I am on the hook for 2 yrs. with this phone now. Guess I shall see what happens by than, considering there should be fairly large upgrade for me by that point.

crixley

May 25, 2012
Well from all the reviews I read on Quad-Core Cellphones they really are not truly Quad anyway. 2 of the cores operate for intensive applications and the other 2 go into a stand by type of mode. When doing less intensive stuff the other 2 kick in and the others go to sleep. So really you still are basically operating a Dual Core phone unless custom kernels can come up with a way to utilize all 4 at one time. As far as size goes, I can see many of the phones breaking unless you have a decent case and screen protector due to sliding out of pockets. At any, just got my SGS3 so I am on the hook for 2 yrs. with this phone now. Guess I shall see what happens by than, considering there should be fairly large upgrade for me by that point.

That's the octa core you're thinking of

Dj-Rodney

Apr 15, 2012
San Jose
Its hard to choose between the S4 and HTC one. Both have their ups and downs but the lack of SD card is a deal breaker. I think I'll just wait and see what the note 3 has to offer.

rckbgy

Nov 7, 2011
i upgraded to my s3 near the end of 2012 from my iphone 4. i wasn't happy with it at first and couldn't find ROMs i liked. Now I'm using wicked sensation which i like. but when my upgrade comes along, i think i'll try whatever new nokia lumia is out there. when i had an upgrade, it was between the lumia and the s3. my next decision might be the whatever new iphone vs lumia when i have the option to upgrade.

ki11aprime

Sep 26, 2012
got the s3 right now, but im looking at that Motorola x or the Nexus 5, some really good phone should be coming out this year no need to rush for an update just yet:laugh:

RGraphics

Jan 18, 2013
Yeah the gs3 should last a while. Like the 4s

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Capa1970

Oct 28, 2012
I think the Arm processors have gone as far as they can with the 28nm that they're built upon. Heating has become an issue with both the S3 and S4. I think the new 22nm chips in 2014 will bring greater speeds, less heat, and improved battery life. I can't wait!

Rattles

Nov 14, 2011
i actually got the S4 (through my company) and after using it for a couple of hours, i shipped it back to our rep and went back to the S3. the S4 is very nice and i have no doubt that it is a great device but for me, it just doesn't offer that much improvement. since i wouldn't use TW anyway, it would have been an S4 with AOKP vs. my S3 with AOKP which in that case, the difference is very small. the screen is nicer, the battery is a bit better etc.. but again, it just doesn't feel like a brand new device.

Benyben6

Sep 27, 2010
I got the S3 2 weeks ago, even though the S4 was on the market. The S4 looked nice, but was 200$ vs 50$. I was upgrading me and my wife's phone, so that would've been 400$....

I think the S3 is a very capable device. It's fast and dependable, lots of roms to chose from. Don't think I'll be upgrading in the 3 years the contract will last.

dubluv1

Sep 16, 2012
NJ
the S3 is my first andriod phone and I have a feeling I will hold on to this one for a long time before I upgrade :good:

baoli

May 27, 2010
Been thinking of upgrading to an S4 lately but I think I may actually give Windows Phone a shot. Other than the OS, the Lumia 1020 is what I'm looking for in a phone. I can leave my camera in the hotel if I want to travel light on vacation.

I've used Windows Mobile until I got a Moto Milestone. Got an iPhone 4 when I bricked the Milestone. Having tried the major OS's, I stuck with Android by getting the Captivate and now using the S3. I also have a Z10 from work... I figure Windows Phone has had a few years to mature and might be worth giving it a shot. Especially with a 41MP camera, some of the user shots I've seen at wpcentral are amazing.

If I'm going to praise or trash an OS, I figure I'd better try it out first so I know what I'm talking about... lol Apps might be a bit of a challenge, the MS app store doesn't have as much as Apple or Google but looking at my current devices, I really don't have that much. What does suck is paying for the same app on a different OS.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please discuss other devices besides the S3 here.
    Thanks
    FNM
    Re: Off-topic other device and upgrading phone discussion

+1 I absolutely agree with you Bruce Lee. There's really no need for the S IV. The S III does everything I need it to do and more. The last thing I need a phone to do is take over my life.
    The only reason to upgrade from the S III to S IV would be bragging rights... How much are they really worth?
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2