FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[CM9 beta] Battery Optimization Discussion

312 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,091
 
By wtogami, Retired Recognized Developer on 8th March 2012, 04:35 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
9th March 2012, 04:35 PM |#21  
RyleyinSTL's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag The Red Brick Mama
Thanks Meter: 53
 
More
Same here, mmc_delayed_work and deleted_wake_locks are list toppers for wake locks. 41m of mmc_delayed_work since install of Beta 0. That said my battery life is great (over 24hr if screen time is 1:20h or less) BUT it could be amazing if mmc_delayed_work would go away. Seems that the phone wakes it self up for mmc_delayed_work randomly and constantly.

Only other bat related issue I'm seeing is that WiFi does not sleep as it is set to do all the time. I have it set to sleep when the screen is off and it does not always do that according to the stats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderusa11

The mmc_delayed_work and deleted_wake_locks are driving me crazy. I know they've been reported as "false blames," but something, whether MMC or otherwise, definitely causes seemingly unnecessary wake locks, and there is a very clear pattern between high report percentage and battery drain.

I don't mean to take away from the optimizations suggested; they're definitely useful if you're looking to stretch the battery life out longer than typical stock capability. But for many of us, something wakes the phone a little too often, and it's very difficult to debug without disabling every single application and testing one at a time.

I guess the point is, has anyone else found a better way to figure out these wake locks?

 
 
9th March 2012, 08:04 PM |#22  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 502
 
More
Yea, Beta 0 is the destroyer of all things battery. Ran through one of my extended batteries in 5 hours 20 minutes today. Just over 2 hours of screen on time. All sounds turned off. No vibration. 2 emails received. Zero phone calls. Zero texts. Streamed 4 songs with Google Music. Did browse the internet for a while which made up almost all of the screen on time. Installed a couple apps too.

Did have an issue with wifi randomly dropping out even though I was within 5 feet of the router. Was reading the Anandtech review of Windows 8 CP and almost every time I clicked for the next page I would get a 404 message and the wifi signal would show zero bars. Never happened on CleanGB.

Gonna give it another go with my other extended battery and see if it fairs any better. Would literally be getting 36 hours with 4 hours of screen on time with CleanGB with these batteries a mere 72 hours ago, so its not them. My stock Samsung battery lasted nearly 24 hours, but that was with like an hour of screen on time. So battery doesn't seem that bad when you don't use the phone, but its absolutely destroying it when you do.
9th March 2012, 08:32 PM |#23  
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,091
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by muyoso

Did have an issue with wifi randomly dropping out even though I was within 5 feet of the router. Was reading the Anandtech review of Windows 8 CP and almost every time I clicked for the next page I would get a 404 message and the wifi signal would show zero bars.

Please try to reflash the modem from scratch. This stabilized wifi on CM7 for a few people.
9th March 2012, 09:39 PM |#24  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 502
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtogami

Please try to reflash the modem from scratch. This stabilized wifi on CM7 for a few people.

Reflash the el30 modem? I'll give that a try tonight.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA
9th March 2012, 11:13 PM |#25  
KennyG123's Avatar
Moderator Committee / RC-RT Committee / Spider-Mod
Flag Right behind you!
Thanks Meter: 48,779
 
Donate to Me
More
Anyone know where the vbus_present kernel wakelock is coming from? After unplugged it was 30 minutes in 7 hours.
9th March 2012, 11:29 PM |#26  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 502
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by muyoso

Yea, Beta 0 is the destroyer of all things battery. Ran through one of my extended batteries in 5 hours 20 minutes today. Just over 2 hours of screen on time. All sounds turned off. No vibration. 2 emails received. Zero phone calls. Zero texts. Streamed 4 songs with Google Music. Did browse the internet for a while which made up almost all of the screen on time. Installed a couple apps too.

OK, so now I popped in my other IDENTICAL extended battery and the battery life is phenomenal. I have an hour of screen on time already, 10 minute of which was gaming. Its at 93%. So I retract my previous statement that Beta 0 is the destroyer of all things battery. Beta 0 is the schizophrenic of all things battery.

On a more serious note, this pretty much convinces me that there are things within the rom that are tripped and stay on even though they should shut off. Pretty sure I read a couple bug reports similar to this before flashing so it makes sense. I think these runaway processes are whats causing terrible battery life for some. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to get such disparate results using two exact same batteries.

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyglass123

Anyone know where the vbus_present kernel wakelock is coming from? After unplugged it was 30 minutes in 7 hours.

Isn't that when the phone is charging via USB? Pretty sure it doesn't go into deep sleep when charging. Might be wrong.
9th March 2012, 11:32 PM |#27  
ÜBER™'s Avatar
Recognized Themer
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 8,957
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyglass123

Anyone know where the vbus_present kernel wakelock is coming from? After unplugged it was 30 minutes in 7 hours.

Yes this is from charging... I know because it usually says 2 or three hours even though I just pulled it off the charger.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium
9th March 2012, 11:33 PM |#28  
KennyG123's Avatar
Moderator Committee / RC-RT Committee / Spider-Mod
Flag Right behind you!
Thanks Meter: 48,779
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by muyoso

Isn't that when the phone is charging via USB? Pretty sure it doesn't go into deep sleep when charging. Might be wrong.

Yeah, that is what Google tells me, except this is being reported by Betterbatterystats after unplugged. Is some charge circuitry not releasing the processor for awhile after being unplugged?
9th March 2012, 11:36 PM |#29  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 502
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyglass123

Yeah, that is what Google tells me, except this is being reported by Betterbatterystats after unplugged. Is some charge circuitry not releasing the processor for awhile after being unplugged?

I think it just counts the time that it was charging. I never plug my phone in through USB and I have never seen that wakelock.
9th March 2012, 11:40 PM |#30  
ÜBER™'s Avatar
Recognized Themer
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 8,957
 
Donate to Me
More
Try changing bbs to since unplugged rather than since charged.. I think is the default.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium
10th March 2012, 12:17 AM |#31  
KennyG123's Avatar
Moderator Committee / RC-RT Committee / Spider-Mod
Flag Right behind you!
Thanks Meter: 48,779
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Goron

Try changing bbs to since unplugged rather than since charged.. I think is the default.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

That was since unplugged. After a reboot it is gone....almosr like something sticks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes