Motorola Fire XT / XT-530 / XT-531 ROOTING / SBFs / Custom ROMs / CWM

Search This thread

Arijit.Ray81

Jul 23, 2010
Bangalore
Disclaimer:
I am not responsible for anything that happens to your phone, your computer or anything else while following these instructions. Proceed at your own risk.

NEW ONE CLICK ROOT

Special Thanks to rootdefyxt320

BAT version
EXE version

SUTLR method

Downloads:
Here are the apps/files needed for Rooting -
1. SuperOneClick 2.3.3.0
2. SUT LR 1.8.2 (Doesn't seem to be working on 64-bit systems)
3. FXX_PR3_NV.xml and NvDefinition.xml [ATTACHED]

Before Rooting:
Prepare your phone by doing the following:
- Go to Settings > Applications > CHECK "Unknown Sources"
- Go to Settings > Applications > Developer > CHECK "USB Debugging" and "Stay Awake"
- Connect your phone via USB, when prompted DO NOT select USB Mass Storage.
- Extract FXX_PR3_NV.xml and NvDefinition.xml from the attached zip file in to a folder

- Now, install SUT LR, run the app
- Select the FXX_PR3_NV.xml [ensure NvDefinition.xml is also in the same folder as FXX_PR3_NV.xml]
- Your phone will restart.

It does NOT erase anything on the phone, since it only patches the ROM.

Rooting:
After the phone restarts, open SuperOneClick and select root. It will take less than a minute to finish.

Credits & Special Thanks to 7amdoun for the New Instructions.

For Folks for whom the above instructions DO NOT work; please follow instructions at THIS LINK

UPDATE your Phone to the latest FIRMWARE HERE

* YOU CAN UPDATE UNROOTED PHONES ONLY!

Could someone take the initiative to MOD this phone? Create some custom ROMs and Themes? I believe Motorola is not providing an ICS update for this phone but some skilled developers can surely help us get the ICS feel on it. I would appreciate if someone could take their time out and get to work on this. I would extend any help I can give.

Increasing Internal Phone Memory

Credits to Pianorcar for this.

You need –

Steps –

1. Download and Install Link2SD on your phone
  2. Backup the existing data on the SD Card
  3. Install MiniTool Partition and open it
  4. Delete the existing Partition on the SD Card
  5. Right Click on the “Unallocated” SD Card once again and select “Create”
  6. Create a “Primary Partition”, File System as ”Fat32” and specify the “Partition Size
  7. Click OK
  8. Right Click on the remaining “Unallocated” space
  9. Create a “Primary Partition”, File System as “Ext2
  10. Click OK
  11. Start Link2SD and select Ext2
  12. Restart your phone
  13. Start Link2Sd again
  14. The SD Card should now be mounted and you can click “Create Link” on the apps you want to send to the SD Card
  15. The App now will be completely moved to the SD Card

1.jpg 2.jpg

Which apps to safe to move to SD? Look HERE
Thanks to Kammii

Increase SD Card Speed up to 200%​

Required -

1. Run SD Tools and test the speed of your SD Card
  2. Open SD Speed Increase and move the slider to 1024
  3. Save the Setting
  4. Now Run SD Tools again and test if the speed has increased
  5. Try different settings with SD Speed Increase and save the best setting to start at boot.
* 2048 worked best for me.

SBFs for Motorola Fire XT 530/531
NOT Custom ROMs

You would need RSD Lite 5.6 to flash the SBFs.

*NOTE: Chinese ROM does NOT have Google apps, Market. European ROM has everything

European 2.3.5: DMP-4480-0-4017-A01_RFM

Latin American SBFs:
Claro
Entel

Chinese 2.3.5: DMP-4480-0-7009-A02_RFM

Another ROM - DMP-454A-0-2010-A03_RFM(RETAIL) - Suggested by cmndst. Claims are that the ROM is excellent. I have not tried it personally so I leave it up to you folks to try and comment about it.

Credits & Special Thanks to 7amdoun for the SBFs.

CUSTOM ROM HERE​

Here is how you can flash CWM

Attachments

• FXX_PR3_NV.zip
    65 KB · Views: 9,658
  • RSDLite5.6.rar
    4.4 MB · Views: 7,540
Last edited:

uao

Oct 4, 2011
Hi, same here: I have tried all the methods around the web. none of them are working..... from an apk or from adb i cant find a way to root it....

for enter the boot menu you should use the down volume, the cam button and the power button.

for recovery: vol up, vol down and power. when it shows a triangle hit home and you are in

Reactions: sid5291

crownabhisek

Oct 5, 2011
Going to recovery mode works! And you can also replace a custom rom.

As for rooting it,....i'm unsuccessful. Tried all kinds of easy rooting & advanced rooting methods. But to vain.

My Question
------------
How to create or develop a custom ROM for this Android 2.3.4?
....so that i could develop my own os for this phone.

titanichotboy

Feb 3, 2011
I want to root my phone Fire XT530. Please anyone do something. Only 15MB space is pending in my internal memory and not able to install more apps so need to root asap but not found any solution. so please anyone try new way to root this phone.

Thanks

Reactions: rbrenelli

andr0idnoob

Oct 8, 2011
Anyone tried the GingerBreak apk root on the Moto Fire XT? Its a general root for all Gingerbread phones. works for most phones, doesnt work for some. im a first time android user and don't want to end up bricking my android! anyway i heard that rooting the phones voids the warranty!

any pro users who could try this out - do share your experiences.

also, once an android phone has been rooted, can it be 'unrooted'? as in, can you restore the stock ROM?

achopraa

Jan 29, 2011
Anyone tried the GingerBreak apk root on the Moto Fire XT? Its a general root for all Gingerbread phones. works for most phones, doesnt work for some. im a first time android user and don't want to end up bricking my android! anyway i heard that rooting the phones voids the warranty!

any pro users who could try this out - do share your experiences.

also, once an android phone has been rooted, can it be 'unrooted'? as in, can you restore the stock ROM?

It doesnt work.
Rooting is different from replacing ROM.

Sent from my XT530 using XDA App

andr0idnoob

Oct 8, 2011
Rooting is different from replacing ROM.

Pardon me. I'm quite a n00b with android phones.

What I mean is, once rooted is there any way to bring it back to the un-rooted state again? Something analogous to 'Jailbreaking' an iPhone and then simply restoring the phone's firmware from iTunes to bring it back to the factory shipped state again, where no one will know that the phone has been jailbroken at all.

Arijit.Ray81

Jul 23, 2010
Bangalore
Pardon me. I'm quite a n00b with android phones.

What I mean is, once rooted is there any way to bring it back to the un-rooted state again? Something analogous to 'Jailbreaking' an iPhone and then simply restoring the phone's firmware from iTunes to bring it back to the factory shipped state again, where no one will know that the phone has been jailbroken at all.

No one has been able to root this phone yet. So, let's get to rooting it first. I'm sure if someone can root it; unrooting would not be too far away.

Sent via Android on Samsung Galaxy S II

Reactions: yatinthakur

yatinthakur

Jun 4, 2008
New Delhi
Yes, Rooting of this phone is the first way to get into this phones ROM.. :) A friend bought it couple of days back, was playing around with it, looks good, but everything seems so restricted.

My ZTE Blade was so much simpler to root and customize..

rbrenelli

Oct 12, 2011
I have a TIM Motorola XT 531. Its a carrier customized version of the phone for TIM in Brazil. I just bought it a week ago. The main let down is the internal memory, since it is a great phone capable of running loads of apps, but due to memory restrictions I can only install a few. I even bought a 16gb Class 10 micro sd, thinking of never to change it and install games and apps, but, now it will be restricted to music and videos.

I wish that Google would fix this internal memory restriction issue, since its their loss. I wont buy more games and apps just because there is no space available. I really hope that they fix this in Ice Cream Sandwich.

If only there was a way to install the system on the sd card, like my father did with his Samsung Galaxy 5. It solved all his problems with storage, since the "internal memory" now is the sd card in his case, so he can install as many apps as he likes.

This would be awesome for this device, since its got the chops and the requirements to go far.

And, this customized version for TIM Brazil has the front and back camera, but no software for video calls, not even qik. And the version of Google Talk that comes preinstalled does not support video chat.

The price for this device is very attractive if you consider all it has. TIM is the only carrier in Brazil to sell this device, and even tough some small resellers are selling it, TIM itself has not started the marketing campaign and retail sales for this device, for it has older devices in stock. I think that when it does start to sell this, there will be enough people with it for the developers to start working on it.

I don't know how's the situation in the US, China and India, other major markets.

Anyway, if anyone has a solution for this internal memory apps restriction and Google Talk with support for video chat, please let us know. Everything else works fine.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Arijit.Ray81

Jul 23, 2010
Bangalore
I have a TIM Motorola XT 531. Its a carrier customized version of the phone for TIM in Brazil. I just bought it a week ago. The main let down is the internal memory, since it is a great phone capable of running loads of apps, but due to memory restrictions I can only install a few. I even bought a 16gb Class 10 micro sd, thinking of never to change it and install games and apps, but, now it will be restricted to music and videos.

I wish that Google would fix this internal memory restriction issue, since its their loss. I wont buy more games and apps just because there is no space available. I really hope that they fix this in Ice Cream Sandwich.

If only there was a way to install the system on the sd card, like my father did with his Samsung Galaxy 5. It solved all his problems with storage, since the "internal memory" now is the sd card in his case, so he can install as many apps as he likes.

This would be awesome for this device, since its got the chops and the requirements to go far.

And, this customized version for TIM Brazil has the front and back camera, but no software for video calls, not even qik. And the version of Google Talk that comes preinstalled does not support video chat.

The price for this device is very attractive if you consider all it has. TIM is the only carrier in Brazil to sell this device, and even tough some small resellers are selling it, TIM itself has not started the marketing campaign and retail sales for this device, for it has older devices in stock. I think that when it does start to sell this, there will be enough people with it for the developers to start working on it.

I don't know how's the situation in the US, China and India, other major markets.

Anyway, if anyone has a solution for this internal memory apps restriction and Google Talk with support for video chat, please let us know. Everything else works fine.

Thanks.

I think most of the issue will be resolved if this phone can be rooted. We can use Titanium Backup to move most apps to the SD card and clean up any junk that we do not want to use, e.g. RSS.

Unfortunately, Motorola in their infinite wisdom has decided to make their phones unrootable and thus the issue. They even claimed to have stated "If you want to root go elsewhere" in their comment when asked why they boot lock their phones.

Folks would rather go in for Samsung, SE, LG even a Chinese phone that can be rooted these days rather than these motos..

makssie

Oct 16, 2011
I NEED ROOT.

I tried with all roots mode.

Motorola One Click Root

Super One Click

z4root.

It's fail.

I need urgent A root to this model, XT531.

Here (Brazil) is called spice XT531 and other locals is called spice fire.

Sorry for bad english...

noahstevens

Nov 9, 2011
Someone please root moto fire xt

i tried z4root,gingerbreak, visionary and motorola one click root too! i am losing it now! someone please look into it :confused:

Last edited:

sid5291

Nov 7, 2011
Raleigh, NC
This is really annoying i mean the Motorola Razr and the Defy+ both have been rooted so easily how can it be so difficult to root the Fire XT i doubt Motorola did anything special with this phone.

I'm pretty sure the solution is simple but i'm a n00b with rooting and pretty much everything android.

Any developer out there please help us out !! :(

Also do you think the Fire XT will get any software updates from Motorola ? Because there are quiet a few bugs in the firmware. My phone restarts on its own once in a while, its rare but still annoying, any1 else facing this problem ?

digi_fort

Aug 4, 2011
New Delhi
Hi,

I'm primarily from the Galaxy S2 forum. I just bought this phone for my little sister. Though i taught her some basic customization it'll be a relief if i have solutions to her future problems as well (space etc.). Seems you people have issues rooting. Some one mentioned that you guys can go to recovery . Please check if you can go into download mode ? Also if you can't root it is probably due to a locked bootloader. What you guys need is approach a dev and get a ROM with an unlocked bootloader. Only then will you be able to root it. Also hunt for custom roms or stock roms with customization which you can directly flash. You guys can also look for kitchens where you can cook up roms with different kernels for the same purpose. I hope you guys get what i'm tryin to say. Also it will be a big help to you guys if you could get a specific forum to post your problems and not a generic Q&A thread and solution contact/PM Allgamer or pulsar_g2 for that.

Cheers

Reactions: sid5291

Jundstars

Nov 15, 2011
iave gotta feeling a root method is close...
now that iave said it . . . *fingers crossed

i just cant wait to over-clock my XT530 and not be paranoid about the internal memory.
:p

go smart ppl!!!

sid5291

Nov 7, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Hi,

I'm primarily from the Galaxy S2 forum. I just bought this phone for my little sister. Though i taught her some basic customization it'll be a relief if i have solutions to her future problems as well (space etc.). Seems you people have issues rooting. Some one mentioned that you guys can go to recovery . Please check if you can go into download mode ? Also if you can't root it is probably due to a locked bootloader. What you guys need is approach a dev and get a ROM with an unlocked bootloader. Only then will you be able to root it. Also hunt for custom roms or stock roms with customization which you can directly flash. You guys can also look for kitchens where you can cook up roms with different kernels for the same purpose. I hope you guys get what i'm tryin to say. Also it will be a big help to you guys if you could get a specific forum to post your problems and not a generic Q&A thread and solution contact/PM Allgamer or pulsar_g2 for that.

Cheers
Wow! Thanks. Alot of information there but not much that i understood . Ok so wait if can boot the xt530 into recovery mode i can load a custom unlocked ROM like miui or cyanogen onto the phone without having rooted it ? ..
Can you suggest any developers to approach about the rooting or unlocked bootloader issue and how can we make sure that this phone has a locked bootloader ?.

I have suggested a dedicated forum for this phone but i guess since it isnt even out in the US i doubt that they would create a dedicated forum only for this phone also since most of us here are junior members i dont think many ppl in the forums will pay attention to what we say so could if we got backing from a senior member like you who knows alot more maybe we could get the attention of some developers and moderators.

Thanks.

P.S: I loaded into recovery mode and there is an option saying "Download nb0 from sdcard"

Last edited:

lagoniko

Nov 28, 2011
nothing works in my xt530

hello there i am from greek and i have xt530 and i cant put it in recovery mode even boot mode.i dont know why.the only thing it is doing it is a black screen when i push down volume and power.i want to downgrade it into froyo because it is not working good.now it has 2.3.3 inside.please somebody help before i toss it to the rubish!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer:
    I am not responsible for anything that happens to your phone, your computer or anything else while following these instructions. Proceed at your own risk.

NEW ONE CLICK ROOT

Special Thanks to rootdefyxt320

BAT version
    EXE version

SUTLR method

Downloads:
    Here are the apps/files needed for Rooting -
    1. SuperOneClick 2.3.3.0
    2. SUT LR 1.8.2 (Doesn't seem to be working on 64-bit systems)
    3. FXX_PR3_NV.xml and NvDefinition.xml [ATTACHED]

Before Rooting:
    Prepare your phone by doing the following:
    - Go to Settings > Applications > CHECK "Unknown Sources"
    - Go to Settings > Applications > Developer > CHECK "USB Debugging" and "Stay Awake"
    - Connect your phone via USB, when prompted DO NOT select USB Mass Storage.
    - Extract FXX_PR3_NV.xml and NvDefinition.xml from the attached zip file in to a folder

- Now, install SUT LR, run the app
    - Select the FXX_PR3_NV.xml [ensure NvDefinition.xml is also in the same folder as FXX_PR3_NV.xml]
    - Your phone will restart.

It does NOT erase anything on the phone, since it only patches the ROM.

Rooting:
    After the phone restarts, open SuperOneClick and select root. It will take less than a minute to finish.

Credits & Special Thanks to 7amdoun for the New Instructions.

For Folks for whom the above instructions DO NOT work; please follow instructions at THIS LINK

UPDATE your Phone to the latest FIRMWARE HERE

* YOU CAN UPDATE UNROOTED PHONES ONLY!

Could someone take the initiative to MOD this phone? Create some custom ROMs and Themes? I believe Motorola is not providing an ICS update for this phone but some skilled developers can surely help us get the ICS feel on it. I would appreciate if someone could take their time out and get to work on this. I would extend any help I can give.

Increasing Internal Phone Memory

Credits to Pianorcar for this.

You need –

Steps –

1. Download and Install Link2SD on your phone
    2. Backup the existing data on the SD Card
    3. Install MiniTool Partition and open it
    4. Delete the existing Partition on the SD Card
    5. Right Click on the “Unallocated” SD Card once again and select “Create”
    6. Create a “Primary Partition”, File System as ”Fat32” and specify the “Partition Size
    7. Click OK
    8. Right Click on the remaining “Unallocated” space
    9. Create a “Primary Partition”, File System as “Ext2
    10. Click OK
    11. Start Link2SD and select Ext2
    12. Restart your phone
    13. Start Link2Sd again
    14. The SD Card should now be mounted and you can click “Create Link” on the apps you want to send to the SD Card
    15. The App now will be completely moved to the SD Card

1.jpg 2.jpg

Which apps to safe to move to SD? Look HERE
    Thanks to Kammii

Increase SD Card Speed up to 200%​

Required -

1. Run SD Tools and test the speed of your SD Card
    2. Open SD Speed Increase and move the slider to 1024
    3. Save the Setting
    4. Now Run SD Tools again and test if the speed has increased
    5. Try different settings with SD Speed Increase and save the best setting to start at boot.
    * 2048 worked best for me.

SBFs for Motorola Fire XT 530/531
    NOT Custom ROMs

You would need RSD Lite 5.6 to flash the SBFs.

*NOTE: Chinese ROM does NOT have Google apps, Market. European ROM has everything

European 2.3.5: DMP-4480-0-4017-A01_RFM

Latin American SBFs:
    Claro
    Entel

Chinese 2.3.5: DMP-4480-0-7009-A02_RFM

Another ROM - DMP-454A-0-2010-A03_RFM(RETAIL) - Suggested by cmndst. Claims are that the ROM is excellent. I have not tried it personally so I leave it up to you folks to try and comment about it.

Credits & Special Thanks to 7amdoun for the SBFs.

CUSTOM ROM HERE​

Here is how you can flash CWM
    What system apps you convert to sd card? (what is etc.....?) Any problems with your phone?

Thanks a lot!

Edit: Just realised that you may not know what the abbreviation "etc" means. If that's the case, it is an abbreviation for the term et cetera, which means "and other things" or "and so forth".

No problems with my phone so far. I just avoid tampering with system apps that may cause irreversible problems (such as Android System, Settings, and MotoSwitch). Some system apps are no longer functional, but they can easily be made functional again by using Link2SD to "remove link" and convert them back to system apps.

I now have 105MB of free internal storage (with 52MB used).

Also, note that you want to use the "Create link" function in Link2SD not "Move to SD card". "Move to SD card" uses the system's native apps2sd method which is not as effective as that of Link2SD's.

To give you an idea of things, here's a list of what system apps I've converted to user apps and have linked to the SD card and how they've been affected:
    • Browser – No longer functional. Opens but does not load webpages. That's easily reversed via Link2SD and then becomes fully functional again.
    • Email – No longer works. At start-up, I get a message that it has crashed. Easily reversed.
    • FM Radio – Works as normal.
    • FQC program – I believe this is an app used for quality checking at the factory, so I've never used it.
    • Gmail – Works as normal.
    • Google Play Store – Appears to work as normal.
    • Maps – Works as normal.
    • Moto [Chinese characters] (com.motorola.inputmethod.gpinyin) – Never used it, so don't know.
    • Moto Smart Handwriting – Never used it, so don't know.
    • News & Weather – No longer functional. Opens but does not work.
    • People Centric – No longer functional. When trying to add the widget, it places a message as the widget stating "Problem loading widget".
    • Qik Video – Never used it, but it fails to open. So it's no longer functional.
    • RSS Reader – No longer functional.
    • Street View – Never used it.
    • Swype – Can still be used. Just need to go into Language & Keyboard settings and tick it.
    • Talk – Appears to work as normal.
    • Voice Search – Works as normal.
    • Weather – Fully functional. Widget can still be added to home screen and used without problem.
    • YouTube – No longer functional.
    I just can't believe this!!!

I just found out that the GPU on our phone is disabled by default :( :( :(

Force enabling it gave me "unbelievably" smooth graphics. Text no longer fades and blurs while scrolling. Also, the occasional lag I get while playing some games seems to have gone.

However, the graphics drivers are very old and buggy which causes major graphics artefacts. Thats probably the reason Motorola has disabled the GPU.

Motorola, in their ultimate wisdom, decided to disable the GPU altogether instead of updating the kernel, and adreno200 libs

To try this, change the following in build.prop:

debug.composition.type=mdp
    to
    debug.composition.type=gpu

NB: screen will keep turning white while navigating thru system menus. Taping the screen will bring it back to life.

And before someone asks, no we can't update the libs either as they require the Gingerbread kernel (.35) while we have the Froyo kernel (.32)
    Some SBFs

NB:
    To flash those, use RSD Lite 5.6
    Chinese ROM does NOT have Google apps, Market. European ROM has everything

European 2.3.5:
    DMP-4480-0-4017-A01_RFM
    http://www.mediafire.com/?h73a80xuhs0ii8j

Chinese 2.3.5:
    DMP-4480-0-7009-A02_RFM
    http://www.mediafire.com/?20qf909peofbodn

Latin American SBFs:
    [Claro] http://www.grupoandroid.com/topic/41195-firmware-spice-xt531-claro-chile-gingerbread/

[Entel] http://www.grupoandroid.com/topic/40427-firmware-spice-xt531-entel-chile-gingerbread/
    Cyanogen 9 has finally been ported to the Galaxy Ace.
    Since our Fire XT and the Ace use the same hardware (Chipset, CPU, and Graphics), porting this ROM to our phone will be very easy.

Once Cyanogen 9 is officially released and cyanogen 9 for Ace is updated and stabilized, I might (if I have time) start creating a Custom Recovery for our phone. Hopefully the ROM itself won't need too much work to make it fully functional.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1490867