[KERNEL] 2.55 GHz overclock for SHIELD (need testers!)

Search This thread

coolbho3000

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Dec 26, 2008
2.55 GHz overclock for SHIELD

Please help test this - while there is definitely a measurable improvement in performance, it is kind of inconsistent with the sort of increases I'd expect this clock speed to bring. I have been testing this for a few days, and I'm not quite sure whether this is due to the hardware reporting the wrong clock speeds on the relevant PLLs, an overgressive power management/dvfs quirk, or a bottleneck somewhere. I did have to track down a kernel bug preventing higher clocks that turned out to be an issue with NVIDIA using a signed long where they should have used an unsigned long.

Flashing:

0. Make sure you are on the current OTA.
1. Unlock your bootloader.
2. Test the kernel: fastboot boot boot-roth-oc.img
3. See if it crashes while booting. If it does, don't proceed to the next step, and post a reply below. Before you flash, verify that you're running my kernel by checking for "mike@ekureru" either in the Kernel Version field in About SHIELD, doing a cat /proc/version (in case you didn't see it crashing), or verifying the maximum CPU speed is 2550 MHz.
4. If all goes well, flash the kernel: fastboot flash boot boot-roth-oc.img

Note: This boot.img is insecure (ro.secure=0) for easier debugging. Userspace apps shouldn't work yet, so this boots at 2550 MHz.

As always, boot/flash this at your own risk, though this kernel doesn't raise voltages much.

Download: http://setcpu.com/boot-roth-oc.img
Relevant patches: https://github.com/coolbho3k/kernel-roth
Picture:
6cyPhs5.jpg

Mike

Last edited:

wwjoshdew

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 30, 2008
Seattle
tinyurl.com
Last edited:

PR0XIDIAN

Dec 20, 2011
Colorado Springs
OH GOD. What are heat levels? This seems like a good way to melt hands off haha. Has anyone gotten access to the internal fans yet? If I attempt an overclock like this I'd want to have control over them like I do my desktop GPU.

sontin

Jan 17, 2011
Tried your Kernel. So far so good.

And the reason why you see such a inconsistent performance level is because nVidia has different CPU clocks for the Core usage:
1 Thread - Max Clock (1912MHz or with your Kernel)
2 Thread - Max Clock (1810 - 1912MHz)
4 Thread - Max Clock (1420 MHz)

/edit: Forcing a clock helps to prevent from downclocking. Antutu was 42xxx points. PPSSPP runs much better. Great work.

/edit 2: I think Tegra 4 can't statisfy a quadcore A15 with enough bandwidth. I have a CPU benchmark with scales up from 1400MHz to 2520MHz and giving 38% more performance. I see no throttling.

/edit3: Okay, i think you are right. It's not working. There is no scaling going up from 1912Mhz to 2550.

Last edited:

eman2001

Oct 2, 2012
London
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Confirmed working here. Neat! Thanks very much.

The shield is already a fast device :D but am still willing to test but first how is the battery life with this kernel because the battery life with stock kernel is amazing but if this kernel shortens the battery life too much then am better off with stock kernel, I will test when there is a stock kernel available just in case :good:

coolbho3000

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Dec 26, 2008
The shield is already a fast device :D but am still willing to test but first how is the battery life with this kernel because the battery life with stock kernel is amazing but if this kernel shortens the battery life too much then am better off with stock kernel, I will test when there is a stock kernel available just in case :good:

There is a stock image available; just use the factory boot.img with the above instructions to reflash to it.

Aug 3, 2013
Fargo
I've been watching this thread for a couple days, nooo further responses? I take it everyone fried their Shields? Just waiting in anticipation for good news:D

Sent from my SHIELD using xda app-developers app

themichael

Jul 15, 2011
New York
Going to give this a go tonight, would it be possible to provide the stock kernel in case this one is not as stable as it might appear after initial stress testing?

Edit: nvm on stock kernel, just saw that you flash the stock boot.img

Last edited:

miguelvp

Aug 24, 2013
Have you found a fix for the slow performance at 2,55GHz?

Not sure if this has been brought up but when the Shield goes to sleep clock rate drops by almost half on the factory kernel both on the CPU and the GPU.

Could this issue be due to that as well?

Unity engine games and live wallpapers seem to restore it to full speed.

Kite-G

Mar 4, 2013
Caguas
:D I'll be glad to test this. as soon as i get my Shield, that is.
hopefully by the end of next month.

themichael

Jul 15, 2011
New York
Flashed this kernel after the new build 59 update today and my wifi is broken.

Could be the update itself since I didn't check before I flashed the kernel. Just throwing out to see if others have the same issue.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2.55 GHz overclock for SHIELD

Please help test this - while there is definitely a measurable improvement in performance, it is kind of inconsistent with the sort of increases I'd expect this clock speed to bring. I have been testing this for a few days, and I'm not quite sure whether this is due to the hardware reporting the wrong clock speeds on the relevant PLLs, an overgressive power management/dvfs quirk, or a bottleneck somewhere. I did have to track down a kernel bug preventing higher clocks that turned out to be an issue with NVIDIA using a signed long where they should have used an unsigned long.

Flashing:

0. Make sure you are on the current OTA.
    1. Unlock your bootloader.
    2. Test the kernel: fastboot boot boot-roth-oc.img
    3. See if it crashes while booting. If it does, don't proceed to the next step, and post a reply below. Before you flash, verify that you're running my kernel by checking for "mike@ekureru" either in the Kernel Version field in About SHIELD, doing a cat /proc/version (in case you didn't see it crashing), or verifying the maximum CPU speed is 2550 MHz.
    4. If all goes well, flash the kernel: fastboot flash boot boot-roth-oc.img

Note: This boot.img is insecure (ro.secure=0) for easier debugging. Userspace apps shouldn't work yet, so this boots at 2550 MHz.

As always, boot/flash this at your own risk, though this kernel doesn't raise voltages much.

Download: http://setcpu.com/boot-roth-oc.img
    Relevant patches: https://github.com/coolbho3k/kernel-roth
    Picture:
    6cyPhs5.jpg

Mike
    Mine just came in the mail. Ill try this out tonight and let you know of it goes
    Mine just came in the mail. Ill try this out tonight and let you know of it goes

DUDE, this is CRAZY! I was getting almost 20 Thousand in Quadrant and 40 Thousand in AnTuTu. I want to see what this can do!

https://twitter.com/wwjoshdew/status/363142322529116160/photo/1

I haven't unlocked mine, but I will soon. Then I'd be more than happy to try out a custom kernel.
    Might I ask, will you release another boot.IMG that fixes the SD card? Also on the got hub I found something about a Y-OTG cable does that work?

Just fixed the card, but it's the same image.