[Discussion] What's your next smartphone / What should I buy

Search This thread

juanq214

Jan 8, 2013
Hello, first of all a thousand apologies if it is not the right place to publish it.
I currently have a Google Pixel 2 the little 5-inch, about 6 months ago. It does not present any type of problem or any fault.
What has been bothering me the smartphone after 3 months is the size, it became small, of course the logical thought is because you did not buy the pixel 2 xl? Because at that time I did not have the right budget and I did not feel the need for more screen, in fact it is comfortable this size but it turned out to be somewhat obsolete because it is not the same to play and watch videos on a 5-inch screen than in one of 6 or more.

The battery usually makes me about 4-4: 30 hours of screen when I am all day in 4G, it is not at all a bad autonomy but I usually stay quite short some days.

And the biggest problem, even if it seems somewhat illogical, is the software.
It works spectacular, no problem is locked in that. But it's too simple, too much, it can not be that it does not have more functions, it does not have any extra functions that many other layers have, it's all based on Google assitant.inches.

I look for something that solves these defects:
That has more screen, more autonomy, optical zoom x2 (I need it a lot for the university), a layer of customization with useful functions, if it can be 3.5 mm input and wireless charging.

My budget is maximum 750 dollars.

I was thinking about the Samsung Galaxy s9 plus but I read many comments that the software is not well polished and that there are degradations in terms of the battery.
Then I thought about the iphone xr but I do not know if I'm going to get along with IOS and the fact of having a screen that is not 1080p pulls me quite down and not have optical zoom.
What dou you recommend?
Of course thank you very much to those who respond.
The Xiaomi mi8 does all you ask for. If you don't mind the notch, and no headphone jack. It's around 400usd (6/128), so you can save some money. Huawei p20 is nice too but it's software isn't that nice (kind of boring to me).

Oneplus 6 is a great pick too but it comes with almost stock android.

lattila

Nov 7, 2018
Hey guys, i'm planning to replace my old Xiaomi Note 2 Pro, and i would like to have a phone with a reasonable good camera for my travels abroad with my bike bear in mind that i only want to take pics. i have an action cam for vids.
Budget is around 300-350$
I saw good reviews about Pocophone F1 but its camera doesn't seem to be that good.
The Note 6 pro is way cheaper and its camera isnt that bad.
*Edit: just saw the Xiaomi Mi8 Lite which looks nice too
Which phones camera is better or do you have another Phone wich i should consider?

Last edited:

I picked up the Redmi Note 5 4/64 and haven't looked back ;) The note 6 is barely an upgrade really and I am not a notch fan so the different screen does nothing for me.

The note 5 takes really great pictures and I believe the cameras to be the exact same for both note 5 and note 6 phones ;) and with prices so close it all depends on which screen you like the look of.

If I had to purchase either one again right now I would still buy the Note 5 :)

Link for reference, https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/xiaomi-redmi-note-5-global-64gb,xiaomi-redmi-note-6-pro-64gb

Le Widget

Mar 14, 2015
I have an HTC one m8 from 2014 that still has custom ROMs available. Compared to my OnePlus 5 it gets really bogged down occasionally but most of the time it works awesome for its age. At least around here they're less than $100. Mine has one crack in the screen and looks like the previous owner dropped it down a set of stairs but it works fine and the battery has 97% health according to accubattery. Maybe the previous owner had the battery replaced?

A couple years ago I had a moto x 2014 (xt1095) that was a good phone at the time besides having a terrible camera. The ROMs for it were amazing and it always felt fast. Those are the 2 that come to my mind in that price range.

Thanks Rocket, I'll check out those two, see what comes up :).

adibeckett

Nov 3, 2013
So I'm looking to buy a phone for my dad. He's coming from a Sony Z Ultra that was 6 '4 inch screen.

He's looking for the best camera on a phone under $500.

I'm thinking about a Samsung Note 8 but are there any better, cheaper or newer candidates?

Thanks!

Reactions: lazyfarmer

D1stRU3T0R

Oct 16, 2016
Huawei P8lite/P8 Lite
LeEco Le Pro3
So I'm looking to buy a phone for my dad. He's coming from a Sony Z Ultra that was 6 '4 inch screen.

He's looking for the best camera on a phone under $500.

I'm thinking about a Samsung Note 8 but are there any better, cheaper or newer candidates?

Thanks!

Look for leeco le pro 3 sd821/6gb ram, with gcam it can make very good photos(and you know... Gcam is awesome). The phone only costs close to 200 euro.

Or try t go with Huawei's newer phones, they have excelent camera too.

Reactions: adibeckett

Mahnsinn

Apr 13, 2011
Hi,

I am looking for a new phone, I am running an S6 atm. I am still satisfied with the most stuff, sadly it's dying as it kills one after another charging cable and the camera is broken for at least a year.
My needs for a new phone are:
- Easy to root with custom ROMs available, preferable linage OS, but I am also open to others
- Fast charging
- Screen size 5,1" or bigger.
- a slot for a micro sd card
- roughly 300 € cost at max
- I don't care about the front camera, notch, headphone jack, IP"anything" certification
- I play lightweight games like card games, building up games or 2D pixel games
- I don't use another social media than Reddit

Thx for your replies!

LuminousOne

Nov 19, 2018
Hi. I am looking for a new phone with this criteria:
  1. smaller than 5.5"
  2. audio jack for earbuds
  3. finger print scanner
  4. compass sensor
  5. sd card reader
  6. bonus if root has been discovered

phone can be couple years old

D1stRU3T0R

Oct 16, 2016
Huawei P8lite/P8 Lite
LeEco Le Pro3
Hi,

I am looking for a new phone, I am running an S6 atm. I am still satisfied with the most stuff, sadly it's dying as it kills one after another charging cable and the camera is broken for at least a year.
My needs for a new phone are:
- Easy to root with custom ROMs available, preferable linage OS, but I am also open to others
- Fast charging
- Screen size 5,1" or bigger.
- a slot for a micro sd card
- roughly 300 € cost at max
- I don't care about the front camera, notch, headphone jack, IP"anything" certification
- I play lightweight games like card games, building up games or 2D pixel games
- I don't use another social media than Reddit

Thx for your replies!

LeEco le pro 3

-alot of official roms
- qc 3
- screen is big
- doesn't have, but why you need with 64gb storage?
- less thsn 300
- top rated cameras, no notch or headphone jack, water resistant for small amount of time
- very good for gaming, pubg, etc, even fortnite is working
— ok

jdarwin53

Jan 6, 2017
Looking for 10 inch tablet

Hi all. I am looking for a 10" inch tablet. I'd like to be able to root and update Android as necessary or at least remove bloatware. I'd like to pay under $300. Here's what I plan to use it for.

1. eReader
2. Play WSOP poker games
3. Watch movies
4. Do some iNet browsing

I was looking at the Asus zenpad, Lenovo Tab 4 and just found the Huawei mediapad M5.

I understand tablets are on their way out so I may be looking at something older but up-gradable. Any suggestions for an 2018-19 tablet would be appreciated.

GrapeBandit

Feb 16, 2012
U.S.A. Inc.
I'm looking into getting a Xiaomi Mi8 6/64 or Samsung Galaxy S9 4/64. Price aside, is the larger screen, more RAM, and bigger battery on the Mi8 worth getting over the S9?

Anyone have any input?

EDIT: I can get a slightly used Galaxy S9+ in mint condition for around the same price as a new Mi 8. GS9+ all the way?

Last edited:

Hippie459MN

Looking to get a new(er) phone. Im open to anything. Currently I am still rocking a Samsung Galaxy S5 on Sprint (Not ready to leave sprint yet as I have a killer plan still and dont want to loose it) but its time to move on from it. I was looking at a S8 or S9 but root is not available for it and root is a must for whatever I am going to be getting. Also, I would really love to have an external SD card as well but its not a deal breaker for the right phone. Anyone recommend anything? I used to be a big HTC fan too so that is an option as well. Just looking for a good, major, upgrade from this S5. Its served me well (and still is), but its time to get something new. Thanks.

nola mike

Aug 8, 2011
Looking to get a new(er) phone. Im open to anything. Currently I am still rocking a Samsung Galaxy S5 on Sprint (Not ready to leave sprint yet as I have a killer plan still and dont want to loose it) but its time to move on from it. I was looking at a S8 or S9 but root is not available for it and root is a must for whatever I am going to be getting. Also, I would really love to have an external SD card as well but its not a deal breaker for the right phone. Anyone recommend anything? I used to be a big HTC fan too so that is an option as well. Just looking for a good, major, upgrade from this S5. Its served me well (and still is), but its time to get something new. Thanks.

What are you looking to spend? I have an LG V30, very happy with it. Checks your boxes, compares favorably with S8/9 I think.

Hippie459MN

What are you looking to spend? I have an LG V30, very happy with it. Checks your boxes, compares favorably with S8/9 I think.

Thank you for the input. I will look in to it more. Dont know if the V30+ is the same but Sprint shows one of them on their web site. Sure I will buy elsewhere but wasnt sure if thats the same. Maybe it being the 128 gig version is what the + is for.

Sptz

Jun 25, 2012
I'm looking for a phone for my girlfriend, she's on a really old and dying iPhone.

I'm looking for something that could correspond as much as possible to:

- Better than average camera
- Either Android Stock/One or at least bootloader unlockable with good XDA development (to flash something like Lineage or Omni or Stock experience)
- Can be Chinese, absolutely!
- NFC would be cool but not absolutely necessary
- Good battery life, but can sacrifice a bit for average/above average but definitely not "afternoon charging needed"
- Quick Charging
- Price would be on the budget side ~£250 max

I already shortlisted a couple and would like suggestions for more that I'm unaware of and/or of these ones also.

- Xiaomi Mi A2 - Con: No NFC. No Jack (remedied by adapter so no biggie)
- LeEco Le Pro3 (x720/727) - Con: No NFC (right?) or am I wrong? OS: But since there's Lineage and Omni then all good!

OR

I'll give her my OP3T and get a flagship for myself :p

Trunksleo

Mar 21, 2011
From this 3 compares which one you choose??

P9lite vs samsung j6 vs Xiaomi a2 lite

Lg g6 vs Huawei p9

samsung s8 vs Huawei p20

gdourado

Jan 4, 2012
Hello,

I am wanting to buy a new phone.

Currently I am between the Nokia 7 plus or the Pocophone f1.

They both cost the same here.

The Nokia is Android one which I prefer as I hear the miui rom is quite bad in the poco.

But the poco has much better hardware and I was thinking I could flash LineageOS to it.

What do you think?

Thank you

Sent from my Le X821 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Before you buy an used phone, check it with this app:

See how many charging cycles it has.
    500+ and you know the battery is on way down.
    Any hint how I can obtain physical access to a device that I don't own yet in order to install this certainly great app for the suggested check?
    Before you buy an used phone, check it with this app:

See how many charging cycles it has.
    500+ and you know the battery is on way down.
    Thanks. Won't work on my phone as it's for Android 14, but am looking for another app to check number of cycles.

Its a bit older phone, but still nice.
    Bit smaller screen size, smaller battery, less RAM, but a better camera, OTG support, and should get Android 14 too.

If the price is right, lower than G84, and you like the phone, go for it.

If the price is the same, and the camera is not in your focus, then get the G84 because it has an amasing battery life, microSD expansion is very nice too.
    Modern day lower midrangers offer the luxury of 6gb ram, faster processors and are an exciting segment to look.

Here are few truly valuable midrangers, suiting our preferences: (premium camera, 4k video rec & microsd support)
    • Realme 12 plus - mar 24 _ 50p,8w,2m​

Realme, well known for its camera 1st approach and has recently released a bombshell right there.
    • Samsung F54 5g - July 23_ 64p,2w,8m​

A popular midranger over the past few months that ticks all boxes and even chosen as best midranger by many websites.
    • Oppo F25 Pro - Feb 24 _32p,2w,8m​

Very high bang for the buck right here and Camera has been a big flex of this phone.
    • Oppo Reno 11 -jan 24 _50p,8w,32t​

This phone is highly rated for its slowmo video especially and comes with a flagship telephoto lens as well. All this comes at a higher price making it a higher mid Ranger.

The moto G54 and G84 are the other big guns in the category but don't support 4k video and dont have macro lens.

(P - primary lens, W- wide angle, M - Macro, T - telephoto)
    Thank you so much for the elaborate response, after 5 days of intense research, I wasn't happy enough with the offers at the 300-400 range, not enough to call the shot, so I ended up lowering the budget to avoid disappointment, and got a poco x6 for 277 euros, is alright, I feel like if I had forked out more for a redmi note 12 pro plus or note 13 pro plus, I would feel disappointed...
    Mate.. We are slightly going off topic., i was the one who distracted you about flashing and stuff. Apologies. Let's keep the thread refined! Ya.. These topics should be discussed in relevant threads/personal chats.

Anyways, is it safe to install banking apps? There's a special thread for the qn mate:

https://xdaforums.com/t/why-you-shouldnt-install-banking-apps-on-rooted-phones.4566867/

I agree with them, even at the developer level, the issues that could happen is unpredictable. So they conclude/discourage us from installing banking/shopping apps in custom roms. They expect us to be a responsible user, well informed and keeping the banking apps to firmware locked devices/ just to handle it old fashioned debit cards etc.

But at the moment i am having a banking app, installed in my non rooted custom rom. But i am planning to uninstall it in a few months, once the financial transactions/need increase.

Okay. Agree, i answered it quite passively. And it isn't the main topic/focus of this thread ain't it mate!

While flashing any custom roms, we should proceed with caution and follow each and every step in the official website/developer with utmost care. Possibility of bricking/bootloop should never be ruled out and we must always have a plan B - having a twrp backup/ firmware to restore any brick that happens/adb codes to restore factory partition. And plan B is widespread - the are numerous workarounds discussed in xda forums/ other android communities -advised to read more/view more tutorials and become more confident and then flash.

Ofc we might end up in an irreversible/hard brick, if flashed recklessly/ irresponsibly/ incompatible roms are flashed.
    - Ive personally bricked/boot looped my op6t as i failed to follow the LOS steps correctly. Reading xda forum of some random device bailed me out.

Hope it's correct now @Paulkw
    Anyway @bsnsxd intended to ask about safety of banking apps in custom roms.
    Yeah, what I had in mind though was not so much the risk of bricking your device but things like unlocking the bootloader which on most devices is irreversible
    mines is either galaxy s3 or galaxy note for t-mobile

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA Premium App
    For sure Samsung Galaxy S3

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7000 mit Tapatalk
    Asus Padfone for me!
    Not sure yet, but seeing as my HTC has had its life dramatically extended by HTC unlocking bootloader for thier devices and so making it much easier to root and mod I am finding it difficult to find a complelling reason to move from HTC
    Probably the Galaxy S3. Hopefully we'll see an updated Note later in the year.