Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
Am I doing something wrong?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium

Your pictures will not load for more so not sure :/

Hi!
Great work!!
I am running your lightweight image on E-ink reader Nook Simple Touch. I wonder if you could set up Ultra-light-weight img for E-ink readers, because graphical interface seems to be kind of slow and there could be some ways to ease for the processor - e.g. black/white, no desktop image, no icons on buttons...

regards!

Not sure really, you could look at a really really basic desktop environment to use instead, it would then just be a matter of removing lxde and isntalling the new one then updating the root/.vnc/xstartup file to boot it

Reactions: mrWax

mrWax

Jan 31, 2012
basic desctop choice

Not sure really, you could look at a really really basic desktop environment to use instead, it would then just be a matter of removing lxde and isntalling the new one then updating the root/.vnc/xstartup file to boot it

thx for quick reply. do you have any suggestions, what most basic desktop env. would most suitable?
I have found these:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-lightweight-linux-distributions-give-pc-lease-life/
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/7061/1

looks like Awesome would be quite awesome - can run without mouse. But the best might be fully lightweight distro like puppy linux. Its just as simple as making image of the installed distro?

thx

Last edited:

devwithzachary

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
thx for quick reply. do you have any suggestions, what most basic desktop env. would most suitable?
I have found these:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-lightweight-linux-distributions-give-pc-lease-life/
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/7061/1

looks like Awesome would be quite awesome - can run without mouse. But the best might be fully lightweight distro like puppy linux. Its just as simple as making image of the installed distro?

thx

There needs to already be a ARM port in order to build a image, I can then take this and make it run for our chrooted environment

Reactions: mrWax

k4p741nkrunch

Jun 14, 2010
Florida
Edit: Removed and posted in new thread.

Edit 2: For some reason XDA app will not let me post in the new thread. Therefore I will post here until I can transfer it.

I can't wait to buy the paid version! I've been following this project for a while now and would love to show my support. I just won $25 in Google Play credit through Samsungs Facebook page, so I'll be buying this as soon as it arrives!

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS PAGE IS NOW CLOSE THE PROJECT HAST MOVED TO A NEW THREAD HERE http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1585009

I have working on a project in the form of an app, which guides you through the installation of Ubuntu within android via chroot. It includes a ubuntu 10.10 image I have been working on which includes lots of program to allow users to develop program/scripts etc within Ubuntu on there phone/tablet.

However I have I have yet to get much testing on this device and would like more feedback from users!

Please post your device/kernel/rom along with what did and didn't work, so I can draw up what I need to change in the next release of the app/ubuntu build.

To keep up to date with updates and news of the project please check the website :)
    Website
    http://linuxonandroid.blogspot.com/

Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCqzs8yQTM8

App Download

Boot Script
    ubuntu.sh(V5)

Full Image
    This image is 1.5GB to download, once extracted 3.5GB, and include alot of programs like openoffice, thunderbird, firefox and over programs for 'developing' - Also allows you to switch between the LXDE and Gnome desktops, and you can define screen size on boot!
    ubuntuV5-image.zip

Lightweight Image - This is yet to be included in an app, will be included in the next release (aka 2.0 ;) ), so get it now before anyone else!
    This image is just under 500MB to download, once extracted 2.5GB, and include only programs needed (LXDE desktop, web browser, + other basic programs) also allows you to define screen size on boot
    ubuntuV5-sm-image.zip

12.04 images
    I have now started work on building new 12.04 images these come in core (just the bear-bones ubuntu) and full (ubuntu with GUI and other programs) and will be updated as 12.04 moves through its milestones (and when I make new updates to the mods I make from the main stream arm port).
    These are for testing ONLY until 12.04 reaches stable release.
    You can view the images here:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxonandroid/files/Ubuntu/12.04/

I also want to build up a small group of testers who I can email with new images and scripts, these will include all future distros that I do. If you are interested in joining this test group please PM me or send a email to zac@zpwebsites.com
    The only requirement is that your willing to test and send feedback along with screen shoots etc where required, it would also be good if your willing to try different roms and kernels for your device!

Sig Banner
    Show your love of ubuntu on android with my sig banner:
    ubuntuuser.png

image url is "http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11206993/ubuntuuser.png"

Other Guides
    Like this guide? want to try something different? then check out my other guides for different distro's
    Backtrack - This is a distro that is based around security testing, it also includes the Gnome desktop environment and a range of other programs.

Updates
    18/02/12
    *New 12.04 images started building, for now not included in the app but once a bit more stable will be included

29/01/12
    *New V5 small image, featuring fixed Java, even more lightweight (now around 1.2GB free) and user can set screen size on boot
    *PAID New Build guide which shows you how to build your own Ubuntu images
    *Brand new UI To make the whole thing more useable
    *PAID new 'one click boot' feature to allow quick booting from either the widget or inside the app
    *PAID new widget to activate the one click boot
    *PAID app install guide changed in light of 'one click boot'
    *Fixed keyboard mapping of random letters in Gnome

18/01/12
    *Large ubuntu image now allows user to set screen size on boot!
    *Large Ubuntu image now lets you select between LXDE and Gnome desktops
    *Large Ubuntu image has been recompiled to fix the likes of Java (note some of the above changes will be included in the small image in the future)
    *FAQ section updated with more answers to questions I have been getting
    *Install guide updated in light of the new large image

06/01/12
    *PAID app file downloads now use new fast FTP server and support direct downloading (click the button to download a image and it starts to download right away)
    *New boot script which has fixed problems with it not booting on alot of devices, and fixed problem which some people getting a grey screen when loading UI
    *Boot script now downloaded in zip file to fix problems with downloading script
    *Both apps fixed to support low resolutions
    *Both apps cleaned up

28/12/11
    *PAID app now supports 960x540 'qHD' resolution
    *ALL Ubuntu lightweight images cleaned up even more saved another 300MB of space
    *ALL Ubuntu images updated with all new updates
    *ALL Ubuntu images now in .zip format to fix problems with some peoples devices failing to extract the .rar files
    *Boot script updated, once booted now terminal acts like a command line interface for Ubuntu, and some boot problems now fixed
    *Image and boot script now downloadable separately to allow easier updating

19/12/11
    New 'lighter' ubuntu image options for all resolutions already supported

15/12/11
    New ubuntu images with all updates up to 15/11/11
    FREE app ubuntu image resized to fit 800x480 resolution
    PAID app ubuntu images now includes 4 images for 800x480, 854x480, 1024x600 and 1280x800 resolutions
    On htc sense 3.5 doesn`t work, this is the rom i`ve tested www.sms.goodluckwith.us with your image of ubuntu(the large one)
    Passion!

zacthespack you know you are just great man...thanks a lot for your hard work because you put a lot of soul and passion here!
    Hi zac,

- I'm trying out 12.04 and it works great on my SGS2 running ICS. The only issue though is that neither the Ubuntu Software Centre nor Synaptic seem to work - I click on the icon and nothing happens. apt-get however, does work fine and I'm able to install programs from the terminal.

- I want to increase the size of the image (using dd), but I'm not sure what block-size to use, so can you please specify what block-size you used to create the original image? Thanks.

- Also, a suggestion: Can you provide an image with Unity-2D pre-installed, and set as default? Afterall, Unity was designed for devices with small screens / resolutions.

- Finally, I replied to your blog post re. torrent downloads. Kindly check the same.

Regards,
    deX

Hi,

Thank you for reporting to software centre issues etc i will look into this and make sure they are fixed on final release

I will have to boot my ubuntu machine to check this drop me a email so I dont forget and I will do it in the morning for you :)

I have been playing with Unity but there are alot of problems with getting it running over vnc on android, basiclly no icons load which is quick a big issue :p I am continuing to try to work on this and had hoped that the full image on final release from beta would feature unity but time will have to tell

I shall check it out thanks :)
    is this like a flash or a new launcher?
    i would like to test it
    lg optimus s
    kravens iho
    looks like its pretty solid would u conisder porting this to the hp touch pad?

This is a guide to running a full ubuntu image within android, the guide includes links to everything you need etc, I have been working on the ubuntu image and guide for some time in the forums of devices I have so now want to expand to all android devices that can support it.
    Does the HP touch pad have android/a android port? If so its quite possible this would work