FINALLY!!!! Found: Cradle WITH Audio Jack!!!

Search This thread

Apr 18, 2008
I stream XM all day at work and I have to flip my phone upside down in the cradle so that I can use the Y-cable to play the stream through my speakers. I've always hated this because, 1. it defeats the purpose of the cradle and 2. the phone is upside down.

So I tried to get smart this weekend and adopt my OEM audio Y-cable to my cheap $10 ebay cradle I bought a while ago so that I could listen to audio while the phone was docked.

That was a big mistake.

I snapped the PCB board in half and now I've got no cradle and no Y-cable for audio. So after hours of searching, I FINALLY found a cradle that has the correct USB connector, thus allowing an audio out.

http://search.stores.ebay.com/Premi...sooZ1QQfsopZ3QQsaselZ840472QQsbrsrtZdQQsofpZ0

I just ordered it and so I haven't tested it, but the connector is the right shape, so I have confidence that it will work. I only wanted to get this link up there for those who have been searching for this.

I think maybe you got too technical. When I bought my touch it came with 2 types of Y-cable one for power/3.5mm? audio connections and the other for power/usb headphones that came with my touch. I would have just plugged that into the usb port in the back of the cradle and powered it by my computer.

But since you showed a link to ebay - here is another store called the Naked Cell Phone in ebay stores. My link goes right to the HTC Touch accessories he has. and his cradles can accommodate a second spare battery. Worth a look.

Naked Cellphone HTC Touch accessories

On the left side are other options to other phones and accessories.

Have a great day
Maine Notary Net

Apr 18, 2008
I think maybe you got too technical. When I bought my touch it came with 2 types of Y-cable one for power/3.5mm? audio connections and the other for power/usb headphones that came with my touch. I would have just plugged that into the usb port in the back of the cradle and powered it by my computer.

But since you showed a link to ebay - here is another store called the Naked Cell Phone in ebay stores. My link goes right to the HTC Touch accessories he has. and his cradles can accommodate a second spare battery. Worth a look.

Naked Cellphone HTC Touch accessories

On the left side are other options to other phones and accessories.

Have a great day
Maine Notary Net
you're talking about this, right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/BATTERY-CHARGER...sidZp1742.m153.l1262?_trksid=p1742.m153.l1262

It doesn't allow you to play audio through external speakers and/or listen to the headphones while docked. While at work, I like for my phone to be upright so that I can see the screen.

I don't know what is so technical about wanting to have your phone in a docking station, where it is upright, and elevated from a surface and still have the ability to play audio through external speakers.

Apr 18, 2008
That looks like the one but it does not show the back -- didn't know if it had a miniUSB on the back.

Just trying to help
it's not the back connection that is the problem. it's the cradle connection. the part where the phone connects to the cradle has to be the d-sub pin layout. htc has pins on both sides, whereas miniUSB only has one side. the pins on the opposite side are for audio. regardless of how the back is wired, without the proper connection, you won't get audio out while docked.

I tried to rig something but ended up futzing everything up.

harley!

Oct 3, 2008
St. Paul, MN
640k - did this docking station work for your intended purpose?

I'd like to pick up a dock, and was wondering about your experience.

Thank you.

Apr 18, 2008
640k - did this docking station work for your intended purpose?

I'd like to pick up a dock, and was wondering about your experience.

Thank you.
works perfectly well. definitely allows me to play all audio with teh phone upright. it includes ports for power and usb too, so it seems like you get the full function of the mini usb port with it.

my only gripe is the dock itself. it's a little clumsy to get the phone in and out and i find myself hitting the camera button when i remove the phone.

the dock also prevents use of the d-pad. which seems minor with a touch screen, but some apps respond better from the d-pad (or sometimes it's just easier). you can go up, left and right, but you cannot press down, even though it is visible.

the dock is also 2-3x the size of the phone which may be a turnoff for some people but the build seems to be quality.

however, it's definitely worth the $15. it comes with a charger and a usb cable. the audio out is a standard 3.5mm jack, so even if you don't want to play music through your computer speakers, you could always hook up headphones.

Got one!

I quite like this dock. I run "My Mobiler" on my desktop, so I can access the phone using my monitor/mouse/keyboard.

Now I can use the phone as my media player, transfer files, install apps, and (in theory) answer my phone calls hands-free using the on-board mic and my speakers. Haven't tried the last yet...

katmandu421

Sep 8, 2008
Denver
Thanks for the tip on this one, just ordered one for my car dock. Gotta love last.fm and podcasts for the commute streaming from Android on my touch!

Apr 18, 2008
just an fyi, the usb connection on this dock doesn't seem to be working for me anymore. i need to crack it open to see if i can find what's wrong. but i get intermediate connections and the phone goes in and out of being connected. not sure what the problem is, but i haven't used teh dock in a few weeks.

e59741

Sep 9, 2007
Salem, OR
Cradle...

I got a deal where the usb/pc cradle, car cradle, 2 car power adapters, 2 wall chargers, 2 usb sync cables, and a soft case, and 3 pen/styluses all shipped for like $29, from Premiertek.net thru their ebay store, it also came with a belt holster that is kinda wonky but I really only wanted the 2 cradles anyway and I use my BlackBerry Perl's holster, cuz with my case it fits perfect. so I'm stoked, it allows for speakers on the usb pc cradle, and hands free built in on the car cradle... sweet. now I need to find a better mini audio plug to 3/8 sound adapter to use with the car cradle, mine only picks up the left channel.... but I have already confirmed it is my mini/3/8 adapter and not the cradles..

Apr 18, 2008
just an fyi, the usb connection on this dock doesn't seem to be working for me anymore. i need to crack it open to see if i can find what's wrong. but i get intermediate connections and the phone goes in and out of being connected. not sure what the problem is, but i haven't used teh dock in a few weeks.
I feel bad for anyone still using a Vogue. That phone was a nightmare compared to my D1. This cradle is/was junk. I don't know/remember what the failure was, but I'm glad to have moved on. Hopefully you guys can upgrade soon. Get an Android phone, any of them. you'll be pleasantly surprised.

*M*

Oct 25, 2009
New Zealand
I feel bad for anyone still using a Vogue. That phone was a nightmare compared to my D1. This cradle is/was junk. I don't know/remember what the failure was, but I'm glad to have moved on. Hopefully you guys can upgrade soon. Get an Android phone, any of them. you'll be pleasantly surprised.

We have one :p