[APP] Motorola Boot Logo Maker (source code included) (Version 2.4)

Search This thread

caitsith2

Jul 25, 2013
www.caitsith2.com
Here is my full gui tool for creating boot logo files, for a number of Motorola Devices.

You get a preview of the picture, exactly how it would look on your device.

Features
Open Existing Logo.bin files
Open Existing Flashable zip files
Create logo.bin files
Create Flashable zip files
Export images from Logo.bin / Flashable zips.

Instructions
To use, you just double click on the treeview entries, select your picture, and repeat that process for all of the files that would be in logo.bin You then go to File / Save, and then save either as a .bin file, for flashing using fastboot, or as a Flashable zip file, for flashing using TWRP or CWM. In general, boot_logo is used on a factory locked device, and as a result, you probably should clear that one, as you would be wasting your space. logo_battery is your 0-3% indicator when the battery is run dry, and you plug it in to charge. logo_unlock is the actual boot screen logo you see on unlocked devices.

You can also open existing logo.bin files, wither from zip files, or directly, in order to modify them. Custom mode is for the advanced users, or for cases where a new Motorola device is released, where its logo.bin contains files that are not known. This tool auto-detects whether the file is the pre-kitkit format or not, and pictures that are larger than screen resolution, or in the case of pre-kitkat format, 540x540 is automatically scaled down. Upscaling options are provided, but centering the image is the default selection.

Bugs
None that I am aware of. If any are found, report them. :)

Limitations
The tool will not create any logo.bin files that are greater than 4MiB. This is a device limitation, specifically the logo flash partition is exactly 4MiB in size on all the known devices that I specifically support with this tool. As such, you may have to downscale or reduce the bpp formats of your images, to get them all to fit within the 4MiB. (Moto X Play has 6MiB, and Moto X Style has 8MiB).

Version History
Version 2.4 - Released Oct 21, 2015 - Download
  • All 3 Moto G listings merged into one listing, due to screen size and logo.bin size being the same across ALL 3 of them.
  • Updated the Moto E listing, with the 2nd gen, (no seperate listing due to both generations having same screen size, and same logo.bin max size.)

Older versions:

Version 2.3 - Released Oct 19, 2015
  • [new] Added Moto X Play, Moto X Style (Pure), and Moto G 3rd Gen to device list.
  • Moto X Play has a 6 MiB logo.bin size
  • Moto X Style (Pure) has a 8 MiB logo.bin size

Version 2.2 - Released Sept 15, 2014
  • [new] Metadata added to created logo.bin files - The following data is present.
    • Version of this program that created the bin file. (was present since Version 2.0)
    • Motorola Device Selected
    • Motorola Device Resolution
    • User Comment

Version 2.1 - Released Sept 9, 2014
  • [new] Default logo_charge image predefined, where applicable.
  • [new] logo_boot and logo_unlocked are now linked together, unless you load different images for each of them.
  • [new] Duplicate images loaded no longer wastes space in logo.bin

Version 2.0 - Released Sept 8, 2014
  • [new] Last selected device is now remembered between sessions.
  • [new] Added in Moto G 2nd Gen. (2nd gen does not have a logo_charge in its current firmware.)
  • [new] Added in Moto X 2nd Gen. (Larger screen in Moto X 2nd Gen, logo_charge and logo_lowpower present. The one thing that bugs me, is that motorola did not expand the logo partition size, still retains it at 4MiB for that device, so one is pretty limited in full screen picture complexity.)
  • [fixed] Fixed a few bugs that were introduced in Version 1.9

Version 1.9 - Released Sept 3, 2014
  • [new] Added in the stock images for logo_battery, logo_lowpower, and logo_unplug, that the program will put into the logo.bin, if you don't specify a custom logo for these images.

Version 1.8 - Released Aug 30, 2014
  • [changed] Turns out Moto G as of the Android Kitkat 4.4.4 OTA update supports logo_charge. Updated accordingly, and put a note in the tool tips on its use case.

Version 1.7 - Released Aug 24, 2014
  • [changed] Big performance boost of saving logo.bin/flashable zips.

Version 1.6 - Released Aug 22, 2014
  • [fixed] Fixed a null reference bug that happens if you switch logo.bin versions right from program startup, as well as a few other potential null reference bugs.

Version 1.5 - Released Aug 20, 2014
  • [changed] More improvements to the logo compression algorithm.
  • [new] Added Landscape mode
  • [new] Logo fill/Layout options can now be set per image, for example, logo_battery with fill on landscape, and logo_boot with center on portrait.

Version 1.4 - Released Aug 17, 2014
  • [changed] Made the device selector a combo box. Each device prepopulates the tree with the logo options available to it, as well as controlling what logo.bin formats are available.
  • [fixed] Corrected a bug in 540x540 color encoding/decoding.
  • [fixed] Corrected a bug where if 540x540 formats were selected, and you didn't pick an image for at least one of the logos, the process would error out with an exception.
  • [new] Added some info to the about box, regarding optional donations via bitcoin or paypal.

Version 1.3 - Released Aug 17, 2014
  • [changed] DotNetZip library now statically linked.
  • [changed] Source code now lives on Github

Version 1.2 - Released Aug 17, 2014
  • [new] Added Support for Raw 540x540x24bpp logo.bin format
  • [changed] No longer creates temp files for any of the processes.
  • [changed] updater-script and update-binary are now built in.
  • [fixed] Loading of images no longer locks them from being renamed/deleted till the program is closed. (They are loaded into program memory.)
  • [fixed] logo.bin can now be loaded from any zip file, even if logo.bin is not at root within that zip file, such as from stock firmware zip files.
  • [changed] Process of creating zip/bin now outright aborts if there was an error loading every image loaded in the process.
  • [changed] An opportunity to abort the process is presented if you try to save bin/zip with no images loaded.
  • [new] Tool tips now added on the tree nodes for logo_boot, logo_battery, and logo_unlocked. As I do not have a Moto E, I cannot determine what causes logo_lowpower and logo_unplug to show, to be able to advise on these.
  • [new] logo.bin and flashable zips can be dragged and dropped onto the application.

Version 1.1 - Released Aug 16, 2014
  • [new] Added Export Image
  • [changed] Far fewer temp files created, and the program attempts to clean up after itself.
  • [new] Progress info added on file loading
  • [fixed] Progress info runs smoother now.
  • [new] Now info is displayed as to how much logo.bin is too large by, when the selected images result in too large a logo.bin

Version 1.0 - Released Aug 15, 2014
  • Initial Release

XDA:DevDB Information
[APP] Motorola Boot Logo Maker, App for the Moto G

Contributors
caitsith2
Source Code: https://github.com/CaitSith2/MotoBootLogoMaker

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 2.4
Stable Release Date: 2015-10-21

Created 2014-09-17
Last Updated 2015-10-21

Attachments

• motobootlogomaker.png
    motobootlogomaker.png
    224.1 KB · Views: 29,726
  • motobootlogomakerabout.png
    motobootlogomakerabout.png
    67.4 KB · Views: 28,858
  • devices.png
    devices.png
    63.9 KB · Views: 28,836
Last edited by a moderator:

metpolds

Jun 11, 2011
@caitsith2 ..... Very nice I've added thanks ..... I have been using caroc's script to create my logos and paint.net to modify the images ..... this App makes it much simpler :good:

Reactions: shutdown-h_now

metpolds

Jun 11, 2011
@caitsith2 ..... The comments I made in post #3 were made when I had run your App to see what it looked like but had not used it to try and make a boot logo. I have to say that the GUI interface is attractive and that made me comment as I did. When I used your App it failed to make a single logo, each time leaving me with just a "white" illuminated screen before the bootanimation started.

Having made 20 or 30 Boot Logos both for myself and others I have an ample supply of images to use, with the knowledge that each of the images has already successfully been used in the creation of Boot Logos for the XT1034 Moto G.

Looking at the files associated with your App, I see that you have used (word for word) two files (1) update-binary and (2) updater-script which have been associated with other scripts dating back to 2013 but you have not kept the same file structure i.e. ..... META-INF>com>google>android..... and it's in the folder "android" that files (1) & (2) above appear. Is it possible that you have missed this?

I haven't tried flashing with "fastboot" - I prefer to flash through Recovery and I think the majority of noobs prefer that easier method so maybe you could check your scripting. I used 12 different images all of which have been used to successfully create Boot Logos so maybe you could check

caitsith2

Jul 25, 2013
www.caitsith2.com
@caitsith2 ..... The comments I made in post #3 were made when I had run your App to see what it looked like but had not used it to try and make a boot logo. I have to say that the GUI interface is attractive and that made me comment as I did. When I used your App it failed to make a single logo, each time leaving me with just a "white" illuminated screen before the bootanimation started.

For this, bit, you may have missed that you should be replacing logo_unlocked, as that is the logo your phone is going to show, if you did indeed unlocked it.

If you could help me out, upload one or two of your unsuccessful zips, and I will have a look.

Looking at the files associated with your App, I see that you have used (word for word) two files (1) update-binary and (2) updater-script which have been associated with other scripts dating back to 2013 but you have not kept the same file structure i.e. ..... META-INF>com>google>android..... and it's in the folder "android" that files (1) & (2) above appear. Is it possible that you have missed this?

Actually, the program creates the directory structure in the zip file itself. Just open up the zips created. You will see that the zip contains
META-INF>com>google>android>updater-script
META-INF>com>google>android>update-binary
logo.bin

All of which are part of a normal flashable zip file.

I haven't tried flashing with "fastboot" - I prefer to flash through Recovery and I think the majority of noobs prefer that easier method so maybe you could check your scripting. I used 12 different images all of which have been used to successfully create Boot Logos so maybe you could check

caitsith2

Jul 25, 2013
www.caitsith2.com
I was able to create a new bootlogo from scratch, but wasn't able to open any logos from this thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2686441) to edit them.

Okay, I had a look at the contents of some of them, and was not aware of a third logo.bin format, which is just a raw 540x540x24bpp image.

Guess I will have to specifically add support for that format. :) You should be able to edit the logos that look like they fill the entire screen in the mean time, as that requires using the "kitkat" formatted logo.bin format.

And when does the "logo_boot" screen appear?

When I boot my phone i see logo_unlocked screen

logo_boot is strictly for boot-loader locked phones, while logo_unlocked is strictly for boot-loader unlocked phones.

Last edited:

metpolds

Jun 11, 2011
@caitsith2 ..... SUCCESS :laugh:..... Your comments have cleared up the misunderstanding that I think at least two of us were to having i.e. If we are using an unlocked bootloader then we have to chose "logo_unlocked" whereas if our bootloader is still locked then we must use "logo_boot". I used 4 of my previous "failed" images and had 100% success this time around.

I endorse what I said originally, the GUI is elegant and a pleasant and effective advance on the cmd line scripts that most of us have been using, in consequence I have "rated" the thread. Please take the following comments as suggestions NOT as criticism. I think you will find that 90% of the thread users have unlocked their bootloaders and you could consider changing the tree "titles" to more clearly indicate which is which ..... alternatively ..... you could add a couple of lines to the instructions to clear up any misunderstanding.

I take heed of your comments regarding the two META-INF scripts and apologise for not researching deeper.

I think this thread deserves more publicity and will do what I can in this respect.

caitsith2

Jul 25, 2013
www.caitsith2.com
@caitsith2
I endorse what I said originally, the GUI is elegant and a pleasant and effective advance on the cmd line scripts that most of us have been using, in consequence I have "rated" the thread. Please take the following comments as suggestions NOT as criticism. I think you will find that 90% of the thread users have unlocked their bootloaders and you could consider changing the tree "titles" to more clearly indicate which is which ..... alternatively ..... you could add a couple of lines to the instructions to clear up any misunderstanding.

I take heed of your comments regarding the two META-INF scripts and apologise for not researching deeper.

I think this thread deserves more publicity and will do what I can in this respect.

And now, you no longer have to worry about those META-INF files, as I have now embedded them into the program,

And the tree now shows a tool-tip as to the purpose of the items, when you hover the mouse over the item.

The next version will be built with the Ionic.Zip.dll zip library built into the program, so that the program can truly stand alone.

Yeah, additional awareness would be good, as this should work with any motorola phone that has a flashable boot logo.

Phones that are Moto E and later, will likely have logo_boot, logo_unlocked, logo_battery, logo_lowpower, and logo_unplug.

Moto X/Moto G/Droid Ultra has logo_boot, logo_unlocked, logo_battery.

Motorola phones released mid-late 2012 have just logo_boot and logo_unlocked. Motorola phones released early 2012 (Droid 4) and earlier, have just the raw 540x540 logo. Although those phones only have 1MiB partitions, it will never be exceeded on those devices.

Last edited:

metpolds

Jun 11, 2011
Got to repeat myself here ..... this App is by far the best which has emerged in this Forum in respect of creating boot logos ..... the GUI is by far the best, cleanest, easiest and is simplicity itself to use ..... had to "bump" it back to top of the queue, couldn't let it languish on page 2.

Reactions: shutdown-h_now

UncolourTV

Aug 18, 2014
São Paulo
Excelent! i will change my bootlogo once a week with this!

Do you plan to make custom boot animations possible with this on a future update? Or this is just for the logos?

Anyway, thank you for efforts on this :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is my full gui tool for creating boot logo files, for a number of Motorola Devices.

You get a preview of the picture, exactly how it would look on your device.

Features
    Open Existing Logo.bin files
    Open Existing Flashable zip files
    Create logo.bin files
    Create Flashable zip files
    Export images from Logo.bin / Flashable zips.

Instructions
    To use, you just double click on the treeview entries, select your picture, and repeat that process for all of the files that would be in logo.bin You then go to File / Save, and then save either as a .bin file, for flashing using fastboot, or as a Flashable zip file, for flashing using TWRP or CWM. In general, boot_logo is used on a factory locked device, and as a result, you probably should clear that one, as you would be wasting your space. logo_battery is your 0-3% indicator when the battery is run dry, and you plug it in to charge. logo_unlock is the actual boot screen logo you see on unlocked devices.

You can also open existing logo.bin files, wither from zip files, or directly, in order to modify them. Custom mode is for the advanced users, or for cases where a new Motorola device is released, where its logo.bin contains files that are not known. This tool auto-detects whether the file is the pre-kitkit format or not, and pictures that are larger than screen resolution, or in the case of pre-kitkat format, 540x540 is automatically scaled down. Upscaling options are provided, but centering the image is the default selection.

Bugs
    None that I am aware of. If any are found, report them. :)

Limitations
    The tool will not create any logo.bin files that are greater than 4MiB. This is a device limitation, specifically the logo flash partition is exactly 4MiB in size on all the known devices that I specifically support with this tool. As such, you may have to downscale or reduce the bpp formats of your images, to get them all to fit within the 4MiB. (Moto X Play has 6MiB, and Moto X Style has 8MiB).

Version History
    Version 2.4 - Released Oct 21, 2015 - Download
    • All 3 Moto G listings merged into one listing, due to screen size and logo.bin size being the same across ALL 3 of them.
    • Updated the Moto E listing, with the 2nd gen, (no seperate listing due to both generations having same screen size, and same logo.bin max size.)

Older versions:

Version 2.3 - Released Oct 19, 2015
    • [new] Added Moto X Play, Moto X Style (Pure), and Moto G 3rd Gen to device list.
    • Moto X Play has a 6 MiB logo.bin size
    • Moto X Style (Pure) has a 8 MiB logo.bin size

Version 2.2 - Released Sept 15, 2014
    • [new] Metadata added to created logo.bin files - The following data is present.
      • Version of this program that created the bin file. (was present since Version 2.0)
      • Motorola Device Selected
      • Motorola Device Resolution
      • User Comment

Version 2.1 - Released Sept 9, 2014
    • [new] Default logo_charge image predefined, where applicable.
    • [new] logo_boot and logo_unlocked are now linked together, unless you load different images for each of them.
    • [new] Duplicate images loaded no longer wastes space in logo.bin

Version 2.0 - Released Sept 8, 2014
    • [new] Last selected device is now remembered between sessions.
    • [new] Added in Moto G 2nd Gen. (2nd gen does not have a logo_charge in its current firmware.)
    • [new] Added in Moto X 2nd Gen. (Larger screen in Moto X 2nd Gen, logo_charge and logo_lowpower present. The one thing that bugs me, is that motorola did not expand the logo partition size, still retains it at 4MiB for that device, so one is pretty limited in full screen picture complexity.)
    • [fixed] Fixed a few bugs that were introduced in Version 1.9

Version 1.9 - Released Sept 3, 2014
    • [new] Added in the stock images for logo_battery, logo_lowpower, and logo_unplug, that the program will put into the logo.bin, if you don't specify a custom logo for these images.

Version 1.8 - Released Aug 30, 2014
    • [changed] Turns out Moto G as of the Android Kitkat 4.4.4 OTA update supports logo_charge. Updated accordingly, and put a note in the tool tips on its use case.

Version 1.7 - Released Aug 24, 2014
    • [changed] Big performance boost of saving logo.bin/flashable zips.

Version 1.6 - Released Aug 22, 2014
    • [fixed] Fixed a null reference bug that happens if you switch logo.bin versions right from program startup, as well as a few other potential null reference bugs.

Version 1.5 - Released Aug 20, 2014
    • [changed] More improvements to the logo compression algorithm.
    • [new] Added Landscape mode
    • [new] Logo fill/Layout options can now be set per image, for example, logo_battery with fill on landscape, and logo_boot with center on portrait.

Version 1.4 - Released Aug 17, 2014
    • [changed] Made the device selector a combo box. Each device prepopulates the tree with the logo options available to it, as well as controlling what logo.bin formats are available.
    • [fixed] Corrected a bug in 540x540 color encoding/decoding.
    • [fixed] Corrected a bug where if 540x540 formats were selected, and you didn't pick an image for at least one of the logos, the process would error out with an exception.
    • [new] Added some info to the about box, regarding optional donations via bitcoin or paypal.

Version 1.3 - Released Aug 17, 2014
    • [changed] DotNetZip library now statically linked.
    • [changed] Source code now lives on Github

Version 1.2 - Released Aug 17, 2014
    • [new] Added Support for Raw 540x540x24bpp logo.bin format
    • [changed] No longer creates temp files for any of the processes.
    • [changed] updater-script and update-binary are now built in.
    • [fixed] Loading of images no longer locks them from being renamed/deleted till the program is closed. (They are loaded into program memory.)
    • [fixed] logo.bin can now be loaded from any zip file, even if logo.bin is not at root within that zip file, such as from stock firmware zip files.
    • [changed] Process of creating zip/bin now outright aborts if there was an error loading every image loaded in the process.
    • [changed] An opportunity to abort the process is presented if you try to save bin/zip with no images loaded.
    • [new] Tool tips now added on the tree nodes for logo_boot, logo_battery, and logo_unlocked. As I do not have a Moto E, I cannot determine what causes logo_lowpower and logo_unplug to show, to be able to advise on these.
    • [new] logo.bin and flashable zips can be dragged and dropped onto the application.

Version 1.1 - Released Aug 16, 2014
    • [new] Added Export Image
    • [changed] Far fewer temp files created, and the program attempts to clean up after itself.
    • [new] Progress info added on file loading
    • [fixed] Progress info runs smoother now.
    • [new] Now info is displayed as to how much logo.bin is too large by, when the selected images result in too large a logo.bin

Version 1.0 - Released Aug 15, 2014
    • Initial Release

XDA:DevDB Information
    [APP] Motorola Boot Logo Maker, App for the Moto G

Contributors
    caitsith2
    Source Code: https://github.com/CaitSith2/MotoBootLogoMaker

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 2.4
    Stable Release Date: 2015-10-21

Created 2014-09-17
    Last Updated 2015-10-21
    Ok if Moto G4 4th gen guys want to test this new build version out i think it should be ok.
    I did everything but flash it basically and it seems ok to me.. no guarantees though ;)

So to recap what is changed..

- The version number (build v2.4.0777.0311)
    - The code 6 error fix (changed embedded updater_script) You can always manually use what ever script you want.
    - Added a new line to support the G4 4th gen phone. (1080p + 16mb partition)

New version is added here as an attachment.
    Is "logo_battery" the one that appears when the phone is at 0%?

And when does the "logo_unlocked" screen appear?

logo_battery is indeed your phone at 0% image. logo_unlock is typically the image you should replace, as that as the one that contains the unlock warning screen.
    I was able to create a new bootlogo from scratch, but wasn't able to open any logos from this thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2686441) to edit them.

Okay, I had a look at the contents of some of them, and was not aware of a third logo.bin format, which is just a raw 540x540x24bpp image.

Guess I will have to specifically add support for that format. :) You should be able to edit the logos that look like they fill the entire screen in the mean time, as that requires using the "kitkat" formatted logo.bin format.

And when does the "logo_boot" screen appear?

When I boot my phone i see logo_unlocked screen

logo_boot is strictly for boot-loader locked phones, while logo_unlocked is strictly for boot-loader unlocked phones.