Other device and upgrading phone discussion

Search This thread

Bruce Lee

Jan 20, 2011
Ohio
plus.google.com
Re: Off-topic other device and upgrading phone discussion

I will hopefully get the ball rolling. I personally will wait with upgrading. Reason being is when I upgraded to the s3 when it was at preorders and rumors of other more powerful phones came out. Then the note 2 appeared. I was upset. I will personally wait for the next stage of the new and hopefully octa core processors that the note 2 or the next google phone comes out with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

theROMinator

Nov 23, 2010

+1 I absolutely agree with you Bruce Lee. There's really no need for the S IV. The S III does everything I need it to do and more. The last thing I need a phone to do is take over my life.
The only reason to upgrade from the S III to S IV would be bragging rights... How much are they really worth?

Reactions: asjdwf

corythug

Aug 2, 2011
PA

+1 I absolutely agree with you Bruce Lee. There's really no need for the S IV. The S III does everything I need it to do and more. The last thing I need a phone to do is take over my life.
The only reason to upgrade from the S III to S IV would be bragging rights... How much are they really worth?

S3 doesn't have a 1080p screen with a 400+ ppi. It is as substantial upgrade as any these days. That being said, I'm going to skip over it. It's pretty much one step above or a half step above the s3 in many ways but I am under contract until December so I can't justify paying outright 500$ mostly for the screen overhaul. If anything I'll wait to see the Motorola X phone since it is supposed to be as low as 200$ from what I've read and wait for the s5 or whatever the new hotness is next year.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Capa1970

Oct 28, 2012
I found the Samsung IV release presentation extremely cheesy---I'm not sure what they were thinking.

I am disappointed at all the hype that preceded the release. What happened to the flexible, unbreakable screen? What happened to the very innovative Big-Little Exynos octocore that the US will not be receiving? And a pentile screen again!

I am pleased with the slightly bigger screen, the +400 ppi, and the bump in battery capacity. IMO, Samsung would have hit a home run if they would have built the Galaxy 4 with similar construction like the HTC One (instead of all the plastic). I hear the speakers on the One are amazing and I hope the Galaxy's are at least on par. My contract renews in January and so I will wait to see what the Motorola X and the new Galaxy Note will provide (if it doesn't go up to a 6 in. screen).

crixley

May 25, 2012
I'm completely happy with my s3, not planning on upgrading any time soon!

Brand New

Dec 22, 2011
I don't understand the hype for 1080p displays... Playing any type of game is going to murder your battery, and you're waisting CPU cycles on pixels you can't see. I personally would've rather had a 720p samoled plus display. No more screen burn in, dark pixels, and battery effiecent.

corythug

Aug 2, 2011
PA

I don't understand the hype for 1080p displays... Playing any type of game is going to murder your battery, and you're waisting CPU cycles on pixels you can't see. I personally would've rather had a 720p samoled plus display. No more screen burn in, dark pixels, and battery effiecent.

Sammy has some new tech that's supposed to reduce battery used by the screen, forgot where I read that but I believe it said Nokia has used it as well before. I haven't used the s4 obviously, but the DROID dna has a 1080p screen and I at least can see a huge difference between that screen and my s3 or my girlys one X which is more comparable given that both the HTCs are lcd. Especially in plain text.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

hufqnjhu

Mar 18, 2013
I will personally wait for the next stage of the new and hopefully octa core processors that the note 2 or the next google phone comes out with.

lemonz23

Oct 6, 2009
So I'm coming from a Samsung Infuse, and honestly, this phone cannot piss me off even more than I already am. I'm talking about constant resets (stuck power button), terrible GPS reception, UNBEARABLE LAG even with the latest paranoid android, and finally, messed up APN settings which bares the phone useless since I can't have any service on it! So now you understand of my struggles with my current phone. I'm in search for something that I can rely on and won't have even the slightest bit of lag after 2+ years of owning it.

Now, I've been doing some research on some phones (gs3, htc one x, htc one, gs4) And I come here to find out your honest opinion on the GS3 since the time you've owned it. Should I save some cash buying a GS3 or a One X, or are there some sort of problems with these phones that have ticked you off that I should consider paying the extra buck and looking at the 2013 flagships instead?

Lmetcalf

Feb 12, 2013
kitchener
So I'm coming from a Samsung Infuse, and honestly, this phone cannot piss me off even more than I already am. I'm talking about constant resets (stuck power button), terrible GPS reception, UNBEARABLE LAG even with the latest paranoid android, and finally, messed up APN settings which bares the phone useless since I can't have any service on it! So now you understand of my struggles with my current phone. I'm in search for something that I can rely on and won't have even the slightest bit of lag after 2+ years of owning it.

Now, I've been doing some research on some phones (gs3, htc one x, htc one, gs4) And I come here to find out your honest opinion on the GS3 since the time you've owned it. Should I save some cash buying a GS3 or a One X, or are there some sort of problems with these phones that have ticked you off that I should consider paying the extra buck and looking at the 2013 flagships instead?

I have had the blackberry storm WOW I literally through that against the wall it was stupid, I got an xperia arc, liked it got bored with it... then I got the Sony XPERIA ION enjoyed the 12MP camera but again it got boring. I can honestly say since I have gotten the S3 I have not thought about owning another phone, the ease of customization all the support for it and it works. I rely on it and there seems to be always something new to try out on it and I am still not bored with it. I am on the i747m.

I went from the Infuse to the GS3 and haven't looked back. I had a small crack in the corner of my Infuse and also the camera would not focus so I called up to see what my options were to get it replaced through the insurance plan. They told me my replacement was going to be a GS3 but that a $200 deductable would be charged to my next bill. It was a no brainer, especially since I am not eligable for an upgrade for another year. The GS3 is head and shoulders above the Infuse. It's a flagship phone with tons of support. I got it and rooted it that night. There are tons of great roms on XDA and have tried most of them. This phone is amazing. Can't really see why I'd get the S4. Perhaps when the Note 3 comes out, I would consider upgrading. An even larger screen would be very welcome.

knightblaze

Dec 8, 2011
Wayne

An upgrade is really dependant on what you use a device for. The s3 does pretty much what I need it to do for work and for personnel uses.

It's plenty fast still. I ran my iPhone 4 to end of contract and still think it could what I need from a phone.

polobunny

Oct 25, 2011
Montreal
Just moved from my trusty Nexus S to the Canadian Galaxy S3. Love it. Finally I have free ram even when doing intensive tasks. Honestly, this is what Android should feel like.

Still learning the thing, installed TWRP, flashed latest cm10.1 nightly and put back my titanium backup. This thing feels like home, but twice as fast. :p

It's a bit of a shame there's so many S3 variants, really spreads out the development for it, whereas on the Nexus S there were very few versions (like 4, which all shared similar internals minus modems), making things very simple.

I'll see you guys around! :D

Capa1970

Oct 28, 2012
Off-topic other device and upgrading phone discussion

Wow, Samsung 4 is $250 at AT&T and I can only assume that Verizon and possibly Sprint will follow suit:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/AT-T-Galaxy-S4-price-will-be-249-pre-orders-start-on-April-16_id41309

This is a mistake and will cost them some sales numbers. I'm sure HTC, Motorola/Google, and LG are licking their chops.

Tmobile no contract $99 Galaxy S IV is really tempting. Too bad their service sucks in this area. I'll be at 18 months come January and ready to upgrade and am currently tempted by the LG Optimus G Pro and am awaiting the details on the Google X. It sounds like the Note 3 screen will be too big for my liking.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please discuss other devices besides the S3 here.
    Thanks
    FNM