[APP] ADB filesystem plugin for Total Commander

Search This thread

sztupy

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 21, 2008
Edinburgh
sztupy.hu
Checked whether a project for creating a WinCE like plugin for total commander already exist, but couldn't find one, so here it is.

Disclaimer: This plugin is still in it's infancy, therefore it might crash you, your PC or your phone. It might not even start. But it'll improve.

1. What's this?
This is a filesystem plugin for total commander that let's you browse and modify the contents of your phone while using total commander

2. Why?
Although there are some android file managers out there, none of them I've found integrates into total commander. And if you've already using tcmd as a general file manager you usually don't want to open up a new program just to access your filesystem.

3. How?
The plugin uses the "adb shell" interface to communicate with the phone. It issues simple linux commands, parses the results and shows them to you in tcmd.

4. What's needed?
Total commander on your PC, busybox on your phone (root is not needed, but it will be used if available), and USB debugging turned on as well. Next download the plugin, open it in total commander and let it install.

5. Download location?
Download the latest version from here: http://github.com/sztupy/adbfsplugin/downloads

6. Supported features?
- directory listing
- copying from/to phone (very slow)
- copying/moving/renaming inside the phone
- creating and deleting directories

7. Whats needed?
- Better error handling
- Command line interface
- Attribute changing
- APK management
- etc.

8. Common pitfalls/limitations/etc.
- If the plugin can't start the adb server, wait a bit, then try it again
- The plugin won't ask you whether you want to overwrite a file or not, it will overwrite it
- Uploading and downloading files is very-very slow
- The plugin starts by trying to use su. If it can't get permission to use su (for example you pressed deny on the superuser page), it will run as a normal user.

Licence: GPLv3 (with the added exception that allows you to use the plugin with total commander... duh) and CC-BY-SA

Darkstriker

Oct 19, 2009
i9100
OnePlus 2
Super awesome. You might want to post this in the general android dev section (or at least give the a link to here) :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

jjwa

Jun 24, 2010
Enschede
Sounds nice. And I have been able to install it in TC without errors. But how do I use it now? Where do I access my phone?

trycatch

Aug 15, 2007
when I try to connect to my SGS, a see a dir like this :(
<000A - no ack data from adb server>

but in cmd.exe i type 'adb devices'
and get below output ...

List of devices attached
1000b0e02206 device

id like to use this plugin....

thanks any way

sztupy

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 21, 2008
Edinburgh
sztupy.hu

and get below output ...

List of devices attached
1000b0e02206 device

thanks any way

Did you try it? Or try starting it manually with "adb.exe start-server"

Reactions: q1w2gmx

haupa

May 28, 2009
sztupy, i have the same situation as trycatch

when I try to connect to my SGS, a see a dir like this

I try it & i try starting it manually with "adb.exe start-server", but even so i get "<000A - no ack data from adb server>"

SGS firmware - XXJPU (debug mode usb connection)
ADB version - 1.0.26
Total Commander version - 7.56a

micdelt

Nov 16, 2010
Got fix for <000A - no ack data from adb server> problem. But can't post external links here.

Virnik0

Sep 14, 2010
Prague
blog.nutcracker.cz
strange. I have never used adb. All I did was installed dropbear, setup pam, and then using Krusader for ssh to it. it is also no problem to send commands over it, so I am able to remotely remount partitions, or use scp to copy files between my SGS and the PC.

I do not understant the rush, when users are still complaining that something is missing.

But Total Commander Plugin is not so bad idea. Personally, I would use ssh plugin for Total Commander, but again, it is only personal though.

Droopytukker

Feb 18, 2009
Great idea for working on this. Tcmd is a great app, the first thing i put on a computer when i must work on it.

rm369

Jan 5, 2011
Hi micdelt or sztupy,
I also have the <000A - no ack data from adb server> problem with my XT720 and would like to have the quick fix. Could you send it to me?
(adb shell etc. work in XP cmd, kill-server, start-server or waiting don't help)
Thanks!

micdelt

Nov 16, 2010
Fixed <000A - no ack data from adb server> version
http: <slashes> micdelt.narod.ru/adbfsplugin-0.7.1.zip

Reactions: Aleq

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Checked whether a project for creating a WinCE like plugin for total commander already exist, but couldn't find one, so here it is.

Disclaimer: This plugin is still in it's infancy, therefore it might crash you, your PC or your phone. It might not even start. But it'll improve.

1. What's this?
    This is a filesystem plugin for total commander that let's you browse and modify the contents of your phone while using total commander

2. Why?
    Although there are some android file managers out there, none of them I've found integrates into total commander. And if you've already using tcmd as a general file manager you usually don't want to open up a new program just to access your filesystem.

3. How?
    The plugin uses the "adb shell" interface to communicate with the phone. It issues simple linux commands, parses the results and shows them to you in tcmd.

4. What's needed?
    Total commander on your PC, busybox on your phone (root is not needed, but it will be used if available), and USB debugging turned on as well. Next download the plugin, open it in total commander and let it install.

5. Download location?
    Download the latest version from here: http://github.com/sztupy/adbfsplugin/downloads

6. Supported features?
    - directory listing
    - copying from/to phone (very slow)
    - copying/moving/renaming inside the phone
    - creating and deleting directories

7. Whats needed?
    - Better error handling
    - Command line interface
    - Attribute changing
    - APK management
    - etc.

- The plugin won't ask you whether you want to overwrite a file or not, it will overwrite it
    - Uploading and downloading files is very-very slow
    - The plugin starts by trying to use su. If it can't get permission to use su (for example you pressed deny on the superuser page), it will run as a normal user.

Licence: GPLv3 (with the added exception that allows you to use the plugin with total commander... duh) and CC-BY-SA
    Super awesome. You might want to post this in the general android dev section (or at least give the a link to here) :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Thanks for the heads up.
    Posted there too.

and get below output ...

List of devices attached
    1000b0e02206 device

thanks any way

Did you try it? Or try starting it manually with "adb.exe start-server"
    Fixed <000A - no ack data from adb server> version
    http: <slashes> micdelt.narod.ru/adbfsplugin-0.7.1.zip
    Me too: Can't find the "adbfsplugin.wfx" file in the zip ...

Anyone has any idea where to get it?

You probably downloaded the soruce code instead of the binaries.

You should download this one:
    adbfsplugin-0.7.zip — ADB Filesystem Plugin 0.7