[OP7T] Tool to root your device without patched boot.img

Search This thread

KyoshiDev

Apr 13, 2020
Hey guys, because there is unfortunately no fully working TWRP yet and lack of magisk patched boot.img for each rom, i decided to make a script to make things easier.
This script is based on the post https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=81277507&postcount=613 from @gpz1100, which is based on thread [GUIDE] How to Root OnePlus 7T without TWRP by @mauronofrio

What does it do?
The script pull the boot image from your actual system and copy it to your PC.
Then you have to copy the boot image back to your device and patch it with Magisk Manager.
To prevent problems and bootloops the script will boot the patched image first, if anything went well the script will flash it subsequently.

Requirements:

• unlocked bootloader
  • ADB/Fastboot installed
  • latest TWRP from here

Make sure the .bat and twrp image are in your adb/fastboot folder!!

How to use?
Download the .bat file, place it into your ADB/Fastboot directory and start it.
If windows shows a warning, then just click on "more informations" and then "run anyway".

If you trust me, dont trust the internet and check hash sum MD5 after downloading the file with:
Code:
CertUtil -hashfile <filename> MD5
MD5 checksum is: 303f338c32841ac752d24647ec6ede14

If you dont trust me there are several options:
  1. Use the guide from https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=81277507&postcount=613 from @gpz1100 and do it yourself
  2. or use any guide from [GUIDE] How to Root OnePlus 7T without TWRP by @mauronofrio
  3. check the code on github here

If you run into problems/errors:

1. Be sure the .bat file is located where adb.exe and fastboot.exe is
  2. If you need urgent root, than follow the guide mentioned above
  3. Be patient, i try to fix the problem as soon as possible

Only tested on Oneplus 7T with OxygenOS

Download from: google drive or from github

Credits:
topjohnwu - for Magisk
mauronofrio - for TWRP
gpz1100 - for his guide

Last edited:

slipnslider

Dec 12, 2011
Will I still be rooted if I take an OTA update?

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

Also at one point your after trying to pull the boot image from the phone the script says:

## checking for adb devices..
## device still not in custom recovery, retrying...

Yet the phone restarts. The script retries about 4 times then fails. I think at whatever set in the script before that occurs, it needs to fastboot into recovery rather than do a normal restart.

KyoshiDev

Apr 13, 2020

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

Also at one point your after trying to pull the boot image from the phone the script says:

Yet the phone restarts. The script retries about 4 times then fails. I think at whatever set in the script before that occurs, it needs to fastboot into recovery rather than do a normal restart.

no, but you can root again with the tool

KyoshiDev

Apr 13, 2020

oh sorry i missed the second question,
the script should boot your phone into twrp recovery, where it get's adb access to pull the boot.img. Do you named the twrp img to TWRP.img?

slipnslider

Dec 12, 2011
Yeah it was named TWRP.img but I actually had another problem going on with my device that I believe was causing this. Got it all fixed using that back to root/unbrick Msm.exe tool that someone else posted

sharkroman

Jun 19, 2009
Worked flawlessly, got a little bit lost when the prompt about magisk came out then realised that I needed to copy files over, patch on the phone with the Magisk Manager app then copy files over again.

But once that's sorted, it worked with no issues

Oct 16, 2019
Noob question but the flash of the modified boot.img would be a clean flash or a flash over the existing one,asking cause I haven't rooted a device and was wondering if this would erase all of my apps and existing settings?

D

Deleted member 5408779

Noob question but the flash of the modified boot.img would be a clean flash or a flash over the existing one,asking cause I haven't rooted a device and was wondering if this would erase all of my apps and existing settings?

Flashing boot.img won't wipe your data. But unlocking the bootloader will reset your phone.

Reactions: KyoshiDev

imakul8

May 25, 2010
New Orleans, LA.
At 71% it says something went wrong.

Attachments

• something.png
    something.png
    17 KB · Views: 130

GarryG

Aug 12, 2012
I believe one problem exists with twrp (possibly depending on the version) ... when the script tries to download the stock image, TWRP wants confirmation for write access. Unless I confirm that, the download doesn't succeed. Once confirmed, the same adb line in the script entered manually then works ...

DougPeterson

Jul 12, 2020
I bought a phone advertised as factory unlocked. It has no carrier branding. It turns out to be a model HD1907, which in Wikipedia shows as T-Mobile.

I installed the OnePlus USB drivers from the phone.
I used the original cable.
In Developer Options I had set Advanced Reboot on and USB Debugging on. I tried OEM Unlocking on and off just to try.

I am getting a failure at the boot to TWRP step. The fastboot error, which I tried manually as well, is:

FAILED (remote: 'boot is not allowed in Lock State')

On the fastboot screen I do see the message:
DEVICE STATE - locked

Am I going to need to go through a bootloader unlocking process like this?

It's a nicely done script, by the way.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys, because there is unfortunately no fully working TWRP yet and lack of magisk patched boot.img for each rom, i decided to make a script to make things easier.
    This script is based on the post https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=81277507&postcount=613 from @gpz1100, which is based on thread [GUIDE] How to Root OnePlus 7T without TWRP by @mauronofrio

What does it do?
    The script pull the boot image from your actual system and copy it to your PC.
    Then you have to copy the boot image back to your device and patch it with Magisk Manager.
    To prevent problems and bootloops the script will boot the patched image first, if anything went well the script will flash it subsequently.

Requirements:

• unlocked bootloader
    • ADB/Fastboot installed
    • latest TWRP from here

Make sure the .bat and twrp image are in your adb/fastboot folder!!

How to use?
    Download the .bat file, place it into your ADB/Fastboot directory and start it.
    If windows shows a warning, then just click on "more informations" and then "run anyway".

If you trust me, dont trust the internet and check hash sum MD5 after downloading the file with:
    Code:
    CertUtil -hashfile <filename> MD5
    MD5 checksum is: 303f338c32841ac752d24647ec6ede14

If you dont trust me there are several options:
    1. Use the guide from https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=81277507&postcount=613 from @gpz1100 and do it yourself
    2. or use any guide from [GUIDE] How to Root OnePlus 7T without TWRP by @mauronofrio
    3. check the code on github here

If you run into problems/errors:

1. Be sure the .bat file is located where adb.exe and fastboot.exe is
    2. If you need urgent root, than follow the guide mentioned above
    3. Be patient, i try to fix the problem as soon as possible

Only tested on Oneplus 7T with OxygenOS

Download from: google drive or from github

Credits:
    topjohnwu - for Magisk
    mauronofrio - for TWRP
    gpz1100 - for his guide
    D
    Deleted member 5408779

No. After ota you won't have root. But after installation of ota don't reboot and do this:

1. Open magisk manager
    2. Install --> install after ota
    3. Reboot.

Now you have updated system with root.
    D
    Deleted member 5408779

Flashing boot.img won't wipe your data. But unlocking the bootloader will reset your phone.