Can I control Chromecast with my phone without a wifi router?

Search This thread

choosetoride

Nov 30, 2008
Can I control Chromecast with my phone without a wifi router? I would like to be able to use just a tv, chromecast, and my phone to stream from my phone. Does anyone know if this is possible or if it will be? I tried downloading a rented movie from Google movie and turn the router off at my house. I tried to stream, but it failed for two reasons. Google movies won't let you stream downloaded movies and Chromecast won't work without my router on. Did I do something wrong here or am I missing something? I would prefer to be able to rely on my phone's data and downloaded files. Doesn't anyone think this would be possible with Chromecast? I guess I'm ultimately looking for portability without the internet.

Last edited:

mjones73

Apr 5, 2010
North East, MD
Can I control Chromcast with my phone without a wifi router? I would like to be able to use just a tv, chromecast, and my phone to stream from my phone. Does anyone know if this is possible or if it will be? I tried downloading a rented movie from Google movie and turn the router off at my house. I tried to stream, but it failed for two reasons. Google movies won't let you stream downloaded movies and Chromecast won't work without my router on. Did I do something wrong here or am I missing something? I would prefer to be able to rely on my phone's data and downloaded files. Doesn't anyone think this would be possible with Chromecast? I guess I'm ultimately looking for portability without the internet.

I'm pretty sure your phone/tablet/laptop need to be on the same subnet as the device so it can be found to cast to, hence the need to have everything on the same wifi router.

Reactions: wwonderllama

Jason_V

Jan 4, 2008
I think that you can tether it to your phone. You select which wi-fi network the Chromecast joins using the Chromecast app, so no reason that you couldn't enter your phone's wi-fi network.

DogzOfWar

Feb 17, 2009
I think the salient point from the above answers is that Chromecast seems to need an Internet connection for some things (like youtube). For Web pages the Windows chrome browser sends the content to Chromecast but other times (YouTube) it's pulling content itself from the Internet.

Once Koush's app is out hopefully you'll be able to stream more content right to your phone, so a peer to peer network might work better

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium

Reactions: Asphyx

FractalSphere

Oct 21, 2009
Chicago
www.doublecluepon.com
I think that you can tether it to your phone. You select which wi-fi network the Chromecast joins using the Chromecast app, so no reason that you couldn't enter your phone's wi-fi network.

You could, but remember that Casting from your phone, computer, etc removes that device from being in the middle, and the Chromecast does the heavy lifting of grabbing the requested stream from the internet and playing it on-screen. Your phone's WiFi may be sufficient, but remember you're going to be pulling HD data over the cellular connection, and that'll probably be jerky and buffer a lot. It was neat to cast a netflix item from my phone and turn my phone OFF while it was still playing (and didn't skip a beat) to verify it wasn't using my phone for anything.

choosetoride

Nov 30, 2008
You could, but remember that Casting from your phone, computer, etc removes that device from being in the middle, and the Chromecast does the heavy lifting of grabbing the requested stream from the internet and playing it on-screen. Your phone's WiFi may be sufficient, but remember you're going to be pulling HD data over the cellular connection, and that'll probably be jerky and buffer a lot. It was neat to cast a netflix item from my phone and turn my phone OFF while it was still playing (and didn't skip a beat) to verify it wasn't using my phone for anything.

Good point. The handoff is amazing. I just would like the option for when I'm somewhere with no internet. In my opinion, this could be a huge deal breaker for a lot of people. Why make it so small, if it's not meant to be taken everywhere? But, who knows. From my perspective, it goes right back to the DRM issue with Xbox. I buy or rent all of the media I watch, but forcing me to be online anytime I want to view it is just controlling. It removes value.

FractalSphere

Oct 21, 2009
Chicago
www.doublecluepon.com
Good point. The handoff is amazing. I just would like the option for when I'm somewhere with no internet. In my opinion, this could be a huge deal breaker for a lot of people. Why make it so small, if it's not meant to be taken everywhere? But, who knows. From my perspective, it goes right back to the DRM issue with Xbox. I buy or rent all of the media I watch, but forcing me to be online anytime I want to view it is just controlling. It removes value.

I would tether or use one of those mobile hotspots (I don't have one, but might if I traveled extensively) and stream that way at a hotel or even someone elses house.

Ohh, which begs the question, can the Chromecast store more than one Wifi configuration? I don't think the software can do that at the moment.. Would be VERY convenient to travel to known locations back and forth.

As for direct streaming of local video, i was able to stream MP4 files no problem using a Chrome browser tab. The computer doing the rendering needs to be a higher-end PC, though - right now I have a older 'media PC' set up that my Xbox plays DLNA from and it's just a glorified storage device, it didn't want to render those videos well at all. So if you have a decent laptop, and get Connectify (free PC software that makes your laptop a hotspot) you can stream to the Chromecast directly while out at a remote location. :D

Roberek

Jul 14, 2010
I believe the ad-hoc wireless functionality was only meant to facilitate initial setup, not to be a content streaming solution.

Plus, I doubt your phone would be able to handle the computing stress required to cast content directly to the Chromecast.

iTreezy

Nov 1, 2010
Detroit
I believe the ad-hoc wireless functionality was only meant to facilitate initial setup, not to be a content streaming solution.

Plus, I doubt your phone would be able to handle the computing stress required to cast content directly to the Chromecast.

I stream HD Netflix from my phone's hotspot, perfect. I play my xbox online with parties using my hotpsot...perfect.

My down speeds are better than most peoples ISP down speeds so I don't see this being an issue.

The Xbox Smartglass app works from my phone while my phone is giving my Xbox internet so I don't see why the Chromecast wouldn't be able to work either.

I emailed Google about this because I honestly don't see the problem.

colonelcack

Feb 13, 2009
I stream HD Netflix from my phone's hotspot, perfect. I play my xbox online with parties using my hotpsot...perfect.

My down speeds are better than most peoples ISP down speeds so I don't see this being an issue.

The Xbox Smartglass app works from my phone while my phone is giving my Xbox internet so I don't see why the Chromecast wouldn't be able to work either.

I emailed Google about this because I honestly don't see the problem.

let me know if you get a reply because i want to do the same thing but apparently this is the reason why it doesn't work

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...android-phone-hotspot-ap-isolation-issue.html

seems like if you can disable ap isolation then it would fix it but i'm not sure how you'd do that

I tried doing this on my Galaxy Note II (Sprint) using WiFi tether. I was able to get it an IP and connect to the network, but it wasn't pushing the DNS info (ie wasn't getting an internet connection). Unfortunately, WiFi tether can be limited in the it's settings and CC has only a few.

Unfortunately, from what I've seen, you are unable to store multiple networks on the CC. I don't believe it was designed for that much portability. I happen to have a laptop with me and was able to do the setup. Since I wasn't able to get an internet connect, I wasn't able to test if I could cast from the GN2. My expectation is most likely not. But I had a tablet with me too, and would have tested it with that.

As for how it would preform, I assume for Netflix and application with CC extension built in, no problem. Trying to cast a Chrome tab, that could be iffy since it would depend on well WiFi tether can handle the that much traffic and the PC.

I haven't fiddled with it since then. But it's definitely possible with some tweaks.

iTreezy

Nov 1, 2010
Detroit
let me know if you get a reply because i want to do the same thing but apparently this is the reason why it doesn't work

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...android-phone-hotspot-ap-isolation-issue.html

seems like if you can disable ap isolation then it would fix it but i'm not sure how you'd do that

I don't think there is a way to disable AP isolation. I'm no network wiz or anything but I rally think it would be an easy update on their side to grant access to using our phones hot spot.

I also noticed that the Chromecast itself generates its own hotspot...I'm assuming to let other devices connect to it and cast to it.

I'm not mad that it doesn't work ($35 isn't a wallet breaker) but I am mad that I jumped the gun and used my 3 months free promo for Netflix =(

iTreezy

Nov 1, 2010
Detroit
Well, here it is guys

Hello Troy,

Thank you for contacting Google Play! It was a pleasure getting to speak with you today. Unfortunately you will need an ISP to hook up your chromecast it will not work off of a hotspot connection.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to reply directly to this email. Also, you can visit our help center at:

https://support.google.com/chromecast/

Regards,

Tracy

The Google Play Support Team!

On 08/10/13 00:10:27 ********** wrote:

first_name_req: Troy
last_name_req: Wisniewski
email_req: **********
Chromekey_serial:

description_req: I don't have an ISP at my residence, I use my Galaxy Nexus
hotspot for everything which always works out well. I was hoping that the
Chromecast would work connected to my hotpot but it seems to have issues.
People have stated that it won't work because your phone has to be
connected to wifi as well but my rebuttal to this is that
Microsoft's "SmartGlass" app is used to control my Xbox, through wifi. I
use my hotspot to give internet access to my Xbox and my phone can control
it even though it is technically not on a wifi network, instead it is
providing the wifi. To me it seems this is the same concept and should work
with a bit of back end support on your end. I would appreciate an email
back stating whether this is going to be possible or not. If it isn't
possible I understand. For $35 ($15 with the Netflix promo) it's not
exactly killing me. The reason I don't have an ISP is because I would
rather not be raped (for lack of better words)

P.S. Google Fiber Metro Detroit please
static_subject_line: Chromecast technical question

I guess the the next step is for everyone to quote this and spread the word throughout the other posts here at XDA and any other forums related to this topic.

colonelcack

Feb 13, 2009
I guess the the next step is for everyone to quote this and spread the word throughout the other posts here at XDA and any other forums related to this topic.

bull****. they're just too lazy to do it. there has to be some hotspot app that has this feature or some kind of workaround that will be figured out eventually...this was the whole reason i bought the device, this would be the ultimate portable media center. i bet that kouch guy could do it...

iTreezy

Nov 1, 2010
Detroit
bull****. they're just too lazy to do it. there has to be some hotspot app that has this feature or some kind of workaround that will be figured out eventually...this was the whole reason i bought the device, this would be the ultimate portable media center. i bet that kouch guy could do it...

Listen.. I'm with you man. I meant spread the official word of google so we can move on to focusing on developers trying to help us out

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

colonelcack

Feb 13, 2009
Listen.. I'm with you man. I meant spread the official word of google so we can move on to focusing on developers trying to help us out

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

lol i know man i wasn't saying bull**** to you just in general. i already linked to this to the other post on androidcentral....hopefully this helps spread the word.

varxtis

Feb 5, 2014
Bump - Any new developments?

So, Ive been scouring the internet looking for some sort of simple, portable, wireless method to stream content from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 to a TV... with the most obvious thought of HDMI adapters and dongles. Obviously one of the leading search results and hype is "Chromecast" which led me here. I was hoping I could confirm the following and see if any progress has been made:

1. Can the Chromecast be used to stream content on a mobile device? Or is it still based strictly on app based media?

2. I doubt much progress has been made in this area, so I really doubt "screencasting" from a mobile device (tablet/phone) is possible, especially without internet connection.

3. Can Chromecast be supported by a portable wifi hotspot yet? or is it still strictly dependent on a ISP to router WiFi connection?

4. If Chromecast doesn't do it, then has any one found any devices that allows you to stream your tablet/phone to a tv wirelessly the same way that you can do if you have the MHL to HDMI cables?

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
So, Ive been scouring the internet looking for some sort of simple, portable, wireless method to stream content from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 to a TV... with the most obvious thought of HDMI adapters and dongles. Obviously one of the leading search results and hype is "Chromecast" which led me here. I was hoping I could confirm the following and see if any progress has been made:

1. Can the Chromecast be used to stream content on a mobile device? Or is it still based strictly on app based media?

2. I doubt much progress has been made in this area, so I really doubt "screencasting" from a mobile device (tablet/phone) is possible, especially without internet connection.

3. Can Chromecast be supported by a portable wifi hotspot yet? or is it still strictly dependent on a ISP to router WiFi connection?

4. If Chromecast doesn't do it, then has any one found any devices that allows you to stream your tablet/phone to a tv wirelessly the same way that you can do if you have the MHL to HDMI cables?
Read the Stickies first.

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
3. As long as your hotspot does not isolates clients or the AP itself, does not block or mangle multicast, and has sufficient bitrate to get the Internet-based media you want, it should work.

4. Wireless HDMI transmitter/receiver, but those cost in the $150+ range for good reason - latency is the biggest enemy. That's why applying the same mechanism that desktop Chrome tab casting won't work. It'll overload the CPU of the phone/tablet with compression and it will still have lag.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I managed to make this work using only my Chromecast and Galaxy S4.
    1. Reset Chromecast
    2. Setup HotSpot on phone (SSID and Password)
    3. Enable WiFi on phone and launch Chromecast App
    4. Go through setup of Chromecast using HotSpot Settings as Network
    5. Once the Chromecast begins attempting to connect to HotSpot, enable HotSpot on Phone, Phone should report 1 device connected
    6. Go to menu on Chromecast App and select Cast Screen, your Chromecast should show up (app will complain no wifi, just cancel to get to the Cast Screen option)
    7. Once your phones screen is showing on TV you can use the Chromecast enabled apps or just Cast Screen.

Note: The settings are not saved in the Chromecast and steps 3 - 6 will have to be repeated each time (the Chromecast setup is not being finallized using a traditional network).
    Can I control Chromcast with my phone without a wifi router? I would like to be able to use just a tv, chromecast, and my phone to stream from my phone. Does anyone know if this is possible or if it will be? I tried downloading a rented movie from Google movie and turn the router off at my house. I tried to stream, but it failed for two reasons. Google movies won't let you stream downloaded movies and Chromecast won't work without my router on. Did I do something wrong here or am I missing something? I would prefer to be able to rely on my phone's data and downloaded files. Doesn't anyone think this would be possible with Chromecast? I guess I'm ultimately looking for portability without the internet.

I'm pretty sure your phone/tablet/laptop need to be on the same subnet as the device so it can be found to cast to, hence the need to have everything on the same wifi router.
    I think the salient point from the above answers is that Chromecast seems to need an Internet connection for some things (like youtube). For Web pages the Windows chrome browser sends the content to Chromecast but other times (YouTube) it's pulling content itself from the Internet.

Once Koush's app is out hopefully you'll be able to stream more content right to your phone, so a peer to peer network might work better

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium
    I managed to make this work using only my Chromecast and Galaxy S4.
    1. Reset Chromecast
    2. Setup HotSpot on phone (SSID and Password)
    3. Enable WiFi on phone and launch Chromecast App
    4. Go through setup of Chromecast using HotSpot Settings as Network
    5. Once the Chromecast begins attempting to connect to HotSpot, enable HotSpot on Phone, Phone should report 1 device connected
    6. Go to menu on Chromecast App and select Cast Screen, your Chromecast should show up (app will complain no wifi, just cancel to get to the Cast Screen option)
    7. Once your phones screen is showing on TV you can use the Chromecast enabled apps or just Cast Screen.

Note: The settings are not saved in the Chromecast and steps 3 - 6 will have to be repeated each time (the Chromecast setup is not being finallized using a traditional network).

Big thanks for these instructions. Works nicely.
    This is exactly what I have tried to achieve to cast phone's screen to hotel's tv while travelling without depending on second android device or hotel wifi.

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

Well idk what's wrong because I can cast YouTube from phone but no cast button from menu. Chromecast app 1.7.4

Sent from my LG-VS980 using XDA Free mobile app

Like mar11974 already mentioned Chromecast supports screen casting only in small set of devices at a moment. If you have rooted your phone you can try instructions in http://xdaforums.com/hardware-hacking/chromecast/experimental-enable-mirroring-device-t2812193. They enable screencast option of Chromecast in any device. It then depends on device and rom how well screen cast works if it works at all.
    Big thanks for these instructions. Works nicely.
    This is exactly what I have tried to achieve to cast phone's screen to hotel's tv while travelling without depending on second android device or hotel wifi.

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

Like mar11974 already mentioned Chromecast supports screen casting only in small set of devices at a moment. If you have rooted your phone you can try instructions in http://xdaforums.com/hardware-hacking/chromecast/experimental-enable-mirroring-device-t2812193. They enable screencast option of Chromecast in any device. It then depends on device and rom how well screen cast works if it works at all.

Works^

Sent from my LG-VS980 using XDA Free mobile app