[Howto] Battery Calibration

Search This thread

doug36

Jan 17, 2012
Canada
Here, quick google qoute seeing as your not a fan of google
Batterystats.bin
"This file is used to maintain, across reboots, low-level data about the kinds of operations the device and your apps are doing between battery changes. That is, it is solely used to compute the blame for battery usage shown in the "Battery Use" UI in settings.

That is, it has deeply significant things like "app X held a wake lock for 2 minutes" and "the screen was on at 60% brightness for 10 minutes."

It has no impact on the current battery level shown to you.

It has no impact on your battery life.

Deleting it is not going to do anything to make your more device more fantastic and wonderful... well, unless you have some deep hatred for seeing anything shown in the battery usage UI. And anyway, it is reset every time you unplug from power with a relatively full charge (thus why the battery usage UI data resets at that point), so this would be a much easier way to make it go away."

The file stores NOTHING regarding mAh or similar and doesn't even reference anything "battery" besides the name...
And if u had of read my post you would of seen I stated "rare" regarding data loss
And I am solely stating for the system, not sdcard, and ye I did mean journalism, thanks for the correction and no **** on the "not 100%" thing, but if used correctly, does just fine. and yes apps can freeze the phone, no **** xD but aswell batterystats.bin IN EVERY SENSE is ONLY a reference file nothing more and controls NO variables regarding ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE SYSTEM

If your such a genius you must realize that androids files are mostly ALL loaded read only? Aswell, Droids "multitasking" preloads the files to ram then loads, when put in background, the app exits leaving a page file, storing runtime information that gets called when you launch it again, putting it back to the same state, meaning "changes" on the system besides settings ofc, are done in the ram, before saving to disk, meaning 9/10 times, incorrect shutdowns just "loses" that data, THATS droids standardized data loss.
If a user has the old bin after flashing/upgrading their rom, their an idiot and didn't flash right in the first place,
And yes I'm fully aware of googles policys..
And u SHOULD realize that even though extended batteries are outside the warrenty (how can u expect them to warrenty another companies product?) There is NOTHING inflicting the use and android IN NO WAY PROHIBITS THE USE OR EVEN USES A LINE OF CODE REGARDING THE USE OF A SPECIFIC cell.....
I use 3 cells and never did this AND NEVER HAVE ISSUES
There is NO WAY POSSIBLE said file can effect performance OR battery drain
Also, I do believe fsk is a busybox runtime, by default is not in system, rather /sbin (kernel)
D to run properly, said drive CANNOT BE MOUNTED.
Case in point all you can run it properly on from inside the OS is the sdcard (not its purpose)
And would have little to no effect "fixing" system partitions anywhere besides recovery or through adb. Also, unless your on a flash frenzy and not properly wiping, would have little effect in these either.
What would potentially fix the system from drain is:
Scrubbing the databases
Wiping cache
Disabling system logger
And even remounting nodev would help :) -
Aswell as the usuall, not leaving wifi on, gps doesnt actually have a huge impact, mines on 24/7
And still get fantastic life (12hrs+)
Saying u got ppl askig you 2 do it aint enough for me, unless your a DEV, get PAYED for it, or your job is related, it really doesnt apply, this IS my line of work (repair/Custom builds on pcs) and even run a side-business doing so.
I have my degree, what do you have?
Im saying straight out your theory has no basis and clearly DOES NOT REFLECT RESEARCH.
If that pisses you off i really dont care, i didnt get as far as i am "playing nice" with kids
Saying enough people verify it, also false, those who do are (same as you) going on hear-say
Nothing more. And more then likely other steps were taken, which again, totally wipes your supposed theory of anything credible. Have a good day

Reactions: adity

RealPariah

Aug 4, 2010
Here, quick google qoute seeing as your not a fan of google
Batterystats.bin
"This file is used to maintain, across reboots, low-level data about the kinds of operations the device and your apps are doing between battery changes. That is, it is solely used to compute the blame for battery usage shown in the "Battery Use" UI in settings.

That is, it has deeply significant things like "app X held a wake lock for 2 minutes" and "the screen was on at 60% brightness for 10 minutes."

It has no impact on the current battery level shown to you.

It has no impact on your battery life.

Deleting it is not going to do anything to make your more device more fantastic and wonderful... well, unless you have some deep hatred for seeing anything shown in the battery usage UI. And anyway, it is reset every time you unplug from power with a relatively full charge (thus why the battery usage UI data resets at that point), so this would be a much easier way to make it go away."

The file stores NOTHING regarding mAh or similar and doesn't even reference anything "battery" besides the name...
And if u had of read my post you would of seen I stated "rare" regarding data loss
And I am solely stating for the system, not sdcard, and ye I did mean journalism, thanks for the correction and no **** on the "not 100%" thing, but if used correctly, does just fine. and yes apps can freeze the phone, no **** xD but aswell batterystats.bin IN EVERY SENSE is ONLY a reference file nothing more and controls NO variables regarding ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE SYSTEM

If your such a genius you must realize that androids files are mostly ALL loaded read only? Aswell, Droids "multitasking" preloads the files to ram then loads, when put in background, the app exits leaving a page file, storing runtime information that gets called when you launch it again, putting it back to the same state, meaning "changes" on the system besides settings ofc, are done in the ram, before saving to disk, meaning 9/10 times, incorrect shutdowns just "loses" that data, THATS droids standardized data loss.
If a user has the old bin after flashing/upgrading their rom, their an idiot and didn't flash right in the first place,
And yes I'm fully aware of googles policys..
And u SHOULD realize that even though extended batteries are outside the warrenty (how can u expect them to warrenty another companies product?) There is NOTHING inflicting the use and android IN NO WAY PROHIBITS THE USE OR EVEN USES A LINE OF CODE REGARDING THE USE OF A SPECIFIC cell.....
I use 3 cells and never did this AND NEVER HAVE ISSUES
There is NO WAY POSSIBLE said file can effect performance OR battery drain
Also, I do believe fsk is a busybox runtime, by default is not in system, rather /sbin (kernel)
D to run properly, said drive CANNOT BE MOUNTED.
Case in point all you can run it properly on from inside the OS is the sdcard (not its purpose)
And would have little to no effect "fixing" system partitions anywhere besides recovery or through adb. Also, unless your on a flash frenzy and not properly wiping, would have little effect in these either.
What would potentially fix the system from drain is:
Scrubbing the databases
Wiping cache
Disabling system logger
And even remounting nodev would help :) -
Aswell as the usuall, not leaving wifi on, gps doesnt actually have a huge impact, mines on 24/7
And still get fantastic life (12hrs+)
Saying u got ppl askig you 2 do it aint enough for me, unless your a DEV, get PAYED for it, or your job is related, it really doesnt apply, this IS my line of work (repair/Custom builds on pcs) and even run a side-business doing so.
I have my degree, what do you have?
Im saying straight out your theory has no basis and clearly DOES NOT REFLECT RESEARCH.
If that pisses you off i really dont care, i didnt get as far as i am "playing nice" with kids
Saying enough people verify it, also false, those who do are (same as you) going on hear-say
Nothing more. And more then likely other steps were taken, which again, totally wipes your supposed theory of anything credible. Have a good day

Dude there is no affect to the battery in any way stop thinking I an saying you modify anything on the battery. This wipes the Android stats file stored on the phone, it does nothing to the battery itself.

If you change a battery or install a ROM on non full battery the battery stats file will be wrong. You then have to get rid of it do on boot after Android doesn't find it and recreates the data from scratch. The battery had to be full add that is what Android expects when it begins the file and tracking statistics (on the phone, not the battery).

I have been lifetime a+ certified since 16 (they stopped offering lifetime years ago) that is CompTIA A+, I am MCSE since 16 (Microsoft.certified systems engineer). I have Cisco CCNA for networking. I have taken several backtrack certified online courses, I have red hat certification for red hat Linux systems. I work in networking department for the state for I live in for a year after 2 years of customer service in computers (help desk) and 5 in systems support doing diffuse sorry in windows, active directory, and Linux. I have been repairing computers since 5 years old with it being a passion ever since, and been loving, working with Android since it was introduced, and worked with creator of cyanogen mod to create a tweaked performance version for motorola cliq xt (ambrosial cm7 is mine), but I want to Woodford about measuring certifications, but you inquired.

Also e2fsck has been in Linux for years, you boot in to recovery if you wish to unmount system to check it and it doesn't matter the medium data is on almost any media can suffer data loss for many different reasons no where did I say sdcard should be used for system as this phone had more than enough internal memory its not needed.

The file doesn't drain it or do anything to battery itself, it reports wrong stats to OS and OS gets the measurement wrong, nothing ever physically changed on battery.

At this point you Ste so mad anything I say won't be absorbed only refuted as you can't even get it our of your head no where have I said it will change the battery itself in any way. It is like saying that when you flash a radio driver it physically changes the radio hardware itself. It doesn't it affects how the software talks to and sees the radio when using it but died not write anything to the actual radio hardware itself. Or when over clocking a CPU some file in CPU changes when it had nothing to do with changing the physical CPU.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

axne1

Aug 20, 2010
Wisconsin
Try it ...

If you like it then, do it!

If not then don't!

I'm on here all day long, and love reading people's idea's and views on Android.
from, the knowledgeable devs, to the hypothesis...

No need to insist on proof here.
just... " wait for it " TEST 4 YO SELF!!!!

right Lol!
:)

sent from a Android device :)
I'm always on!

RealPariah

Aug 4, 2010
*New Added How To run Md5 checks on zips via Android File Verifier on phone to install directions

Reactions: olarf

RealPariah

Aug 4, 2010
Currently in Progress: Updating information to incorporate the newer darkside scripts in to instrcutions [and how and why you can either use them or not and why]. You can still use the current instructions and still get any ICS ROM on your device. Also, for now you should FULLY WIPE phone for ANY ICS installs. Hopefully with the newer device specific source we will be seeing that change too, but I have never had any good results from installing without starting from essentially a blank slate [DONT DONT DONT WIPE INTERNAL SDCARD [EMMC IS SAME THING] I AM NOT SAYING FULLY BLANK JUST BLANK FROM A ROM INSTALL perspective [kernel, radio, system caches and data being wiped FULLY]

RealPariah

Aug 4, 2010
*NEW Added to and updated FAQ*

Next:

> The delayed update to install steps to include darkside scripts newly released where you might want to use them and why during install [sorry bout the wait it is coming]

> Links, then screenshots [I am going to be indexing links in to my guides, then to useful threads, and then will add screenshots where I think they are of benefit [not going to just screenshot EVERY step only if it seems to better illustrate a concept]

RealPariah

Aug 4, 2010
Instructions updated to include darkside cache wipe [if you would like to use]

Also Added link to my Yaldak Mirror which has all the tools mentioned in steps [just not ROM] unless you want to use older Clean ICS .3 which while it had issues if you flash auto rotation fix it is pretty close to daily driver I just find Evolution 2b1 to be best stable with most features ICS ROM for our phone right now :)

Adding link to my Mirror page here as well for reference: My Yaldak Mirror [all scripts needed except for darkside cache wipe as I have not added it YET]

PulldOvr

Jul 9, 2009
Just want to comment. I flashed the ics leak at 25% battery. Charged that night and the next day made it 18 hours on heavy use showing off my phone all day, wifi on, face unlock on, on hspa+. I never once calibrated. Yesterday I made it 20 hours with light use. I came from the vibrant and lived off of calibrating until I got lazy and realized my battery lasted longer as long as I just let it get to 3% and the fully charge every time I charged. I do believe it is now a placebo effect with the newer batteries that are available. My G1 would have drastic changes where as it appears there is very little effect on newer phones. I don't suggest flashing with a low battery only because flashing could cause the battery to die and potentially give you a soft/hard brick from a partial flash.

Just my opinion. Anyone can take it as they wish. I have no professional experiences. I just use the f#*@ outta my phone everyday since I got the g1

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA

Last edited:

RealPariah

Aug 4, 2010
Just want to comment. I flashed the ics leak at 25% battery. Charged that night and the next day made it 18 hours on heavy use showing off my phone all day, wifi on, face unlock on, on hspa+. I never once calibrated. Yesterday I made it 20 hours with light use. I came from the vibrant and lived off of calibrating until I got lazy and realized my battery lasted longer as long as I just let it get to 3% and the fully charge every time I charged. I do believe it is now a placebo effect with the newer batteries that are available. My G1 would have drastic changes where as it appears there is very little effect on newer phones. I don't suggest flashing with a low battery only because flashing could cause the battery to die and potentially give you a soft/hard brick from a partial flash.

Just my opinion. Anyone can take it as they wish. I have no professional experiences. I just use the f#*@ outta my phone everyday since I got the g1

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA

I posted this for those people who are newer to Android in mind as I do with most all my posts so that it hopefully helps the most people possible. Basically, I take what I have found for issues I have either had myself or have been asked to resolve by many different people who know I live and love computers and basically anything tech :) and refine a specific fix for a specific issue I see multiple questions about over and over with lots of testing on my own or the device needed working out the cause and a solution I can distill in to an easy to digest step by step guide that is the most optimal with least chance of harm; Then to be able to offer explanations or answer questions asked about it from users and post that.

I always encourage the users who read my post if you wish to learn more about a specific topic or fix go for it. I always start with google as often as you probably read that it is true. Once you are of the level of understanding that you feel comfortable using my guide as a template and adjusting it to suit your specific scenario (or understanding when a fix may or may not apply and then which fix is best to apply) that is very awesome! :)

In this case yes I too have also flashed multiple times and found that I too got awesome battery life right off and did not need to calibrate as well. There were also the times though that I had issues and this as well as other fixes [see fix perms fix for instance] really ended up helping me correct a problem.

sumitghaiin

May 8, 2012
victoria
How do I know when to do it?

Well if your battery meter in your operating system or in Mobile phone in that case, tends to give skeptic "remaining times" that are highly unlikely, although as said before all batteries lose their charge holding ability over time. Then it is time for you to do a battery calibration.

Some manufactures even recommend doing this per 30-40 day-cycles.

RealPariah

Aug 4, 2010
Hey RealPariah have you seen this? It is from a google engineer about batterystats.

I can only answer the same questions soo many different ways...
Copy/paste pertinent snappy reply with relevant information previously posted here...

Now I create ad libs, yay! :)

Again, I personally have seen devices gain small and large accounts of time on charges after this method. If you don't want to try this I am not holding a gun to your head, you can choose to not try this if you wish. I promise to not show up at your house in the middle of the night.

Last edited:

RealPariah

Aug 4, 2010
*Added to FAQ at top of that post a bit on when you can tell you may need to re-calibrate (IF YOU CHOOSE TO DO SO)

Again, flashing new ROM with battery fully charged is pretty much the same as re-calibrating (pretty much if it is already off battery may not actually be fully charged, but again use YOUR best judgment)

Last edited:

RealPariah

Aug 4, 2010
*Added to FAQ link to guide on how to swap /sdcard and /sdcard/external_storage.
so if you have micro sd larger than 11G it will be used as main storage (some big apps don't let you select storage (see GTA anniversary edition, Deadspace Downfall, etc).

As always be careful, read entire post, and run full backups!

RealPariah

Aug 4, 2010
anyone tested this and what was the result?

Look stop creating accounts because I have out explained you (meaning you probably misread what this us for our what I say it may or may not do for you) and you refuse to see that while it maybe debated like viruses on Macs (remember when those were impossible several years ago) and you have nothing better to do then create accounts just to post nonsense I can't help you.

Cute if childish name though points on getting past censors there kid.

Last edited:

Vulca

May 19, 2012
Thanks this is what I needed. Good thing I kept my replacement phone so that while I calibrating I can still receive calls.

RealPariah

Aug 4, 2010
Thanks this is what I needed. Good thing I kept my replacement phone so that while I calibrating I can still receive calls.

Thanks for vote of confidence, there is some dude who had been at it for sometime to discredit this thread. I believe he more misunderstood this thread and what it is to calibrate your battery, but now has gotten personal creating accounts (sorry I turned out to be right I guess, told you I do exhaustive research I don't just random post info (or if forced to I preface it as such and those threads dint normally get stickied) just to post here. Nice to see there are those that still see what this thread is for and use it to a positive outcome, thanks again for posting your positive results.

Also, you can use the phone I find I leave it on and plugged in with AC and can still answer calls. Leaving it off and charging will ensure best results though.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    AS ALWAYS I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU CHOOSE TO DO WITH YOUR PERSONAL DEVICE, PERIOD.

Battery Calibration and Other Tips from RealPariah

To save space on the post I am moving to spoiler type Q/A. Just click the SHOW CONTENT button for a given guide or answer to show the related information

Folks seem to keep asking a lot of the same questions so I have begun this thread at first to answer the Battery Calibration [Manually] and now I am going to keep adding things I find users keep asking about. Hopefully this will help alleviate the Dev Threads and please feel free to Link here in ROM directions I will try to break up things in to posts so you can link to a certain post for a certain item.

RealPariah's Manual Battery Calibration Methods

First is just whenever; Below that will be how to calibrate on flash of new ROM.

When I talk of charging it is highly highly recommended you use the AC adaptor and charge with phone off for absolute best results.

Calibrate Anytime
    [Reminder: To save space on the post I am moving to spoiler type Q/A. Just click the SHOW CONTENT button right below to see the steps in battery calibration]

-> Charge phone to 100%
    -> Restart phone [to be sure it isn't off by some amount (if phone off just unplug AC adapter for 30 secs and plug back in)]
    -> Wait 20 min after you are sure it is 100% (phone should stay plugged in)
    -> Boot in to recovery
    -> wipe battery stats (advanced)
    -> Get ready to pull battery and unplug phone and do so after the screen goes black after tapping restart device (pull AC adaptor first)
    -> Wait 30 seconds and replace battery
    -> Allow phone to boot
    -> run through ENTIRE CHARGE (COMPLETELY DISCHARGE) the battery (whether normal usage or looped media files whatever you have time for)
    -> restart phone to be sure it is totally dead
    -> Charge fully one more time

You should be good to go!

Just remember it may take several days for phone to generate statistics and for this to fully settle in.

Calibrate Battery at ROM Install

Just be sure your battery to 100% as above and wipe battery stats right before you flash ROM zip.

Then be sure to fully kill the device and do one full phone off charge

You should be good to go!

as above it takes several days for battery stays to fully generate and settle in!

Hope they helps, and in my multiple tests seems to really make sure you get best performance!

Device: Samsung Tmobile S2 [SGH-T989]
    ROM: Paranoid Android 2.52
    Tweak Script: Newest Supercharger V6 with modified services.jar+KaK+3G Turbo Boost
    FAQs and Links to Other Useful Informational Threads

[size ="3"] How do I know when it is time to try and recalibrate my battery?

You can tell when if your phone says 0 battery and shuts down yet you can still power it on for any length of time. Basically, the OS uses statistics to judge what the exact battery level is when displaying in status bar as well as when to alert you to low battery. Have you ever gotten low battery warning and then a min later it rebounds and alerts again? I have and that again demonstrates the OS is not always dead on. Also, switching batteries usually aggravated this as well. I have also had users who have used same ROM for long periods of time and it degraded so slowly they hardly noticed then after it is re-calibrated it helps a lot. All that to say there are a few indicators, but using your judgment (*gasp*) if you feel it may be off give this a shot. I do not recommend running it every day or every boot but once every several weeks or roughly 30 charge cycles (whichever comes first (kinda like oil changes in cars use judgment and changing the oil does not mean you gain 100 miles to the gallon poor a million horsepower, you instead website the car (or battery here) is in top shape and runs the best it can.

Everyone keeps asking me to search for my questions/answers before posting but that is a lot of scrolling, how do I save time searching for the information I need?

CTRL+F [Windows or Linux] or Command Key+F [OS X] should allow you to search the webpage currently in view [all text not just what you can see, but all text on page period]

OR using:

" Site:forums.xda-developers.com" (without quotes unless you want the results to include every word just how you typed it search to be in the results shown, also, try different variations of your error or question not just a long written out sentence) at http://www.google.com and this will limit your results to only those pages on xda forums (you could copy/paste URL from inside any sub-forum to further limit searches [i.e. site:http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1332 would limit you to the Galaxy S2 T989 DEV forum only for results]

What is with some ROMs asking for me to use CWM Touch [OR NON-Touch]?
    I have been using CWM Touch latest for sometime [Current: 5.8.1.3] (being since it first released)
    and I have used it to flash EVERYTHING whether it is a Gingerbread or ICS ROM whether the thread said not to or to specifically use Touch doesn't matter.

Also, I can flash anything from either internal or external SD with really no difference [I seem to get an occasional flash error via external SD and have to flash a 2nd time but I use an old SD so prolly more the cells slowly going]

From my own testing it seems to be either user error or bad flash [keep in mind EVEN if you download the file right and it is read right sometimes you can have a bad flash because during the file copy process a random hiccup happened so rarely RARELY I have to re-flash and/or re-download the zip. JUST BE SURE TO DOWNLOAD ALL ZIPs VIA WIFI YOU INTEND TO FLASH as this will have less errors during data transfers as opposed to a cellular data connection like 4G. You could also use an MD5 signature checker [versions for android and desktop pcs are available easily by searching] and if OP posts MD5 signature you can verify your download before you even try to flash which can help. Of course MD5 checks on the phone will most likely take longer than if you use a computer, but if on comp be sure TO COPY ZIP TO SOME KIND OF PHONE STORAGE BEFORE CHECKING MD5 AS THE XFER FROM THE COMPUTER TO THE PHONE COULD CAUSE AN ERROR NOT CAUGHT IF YOU RUN MD5 CHECK BEFORE COPYING ZIP TO THE PHONE. I will be posting a quick how to check MD5 guide hopefully today.

After I Install my New ROM I am getting errors no one else seems to have, WHAT GIVES?!

I keep seeing users say I have FCs all this stuff doesn't work, while in OP it clearly states all the issues they post of are all working. In my experience of helping users in these spots one of the following is normally to blame...

>> Did you Download ROM over WiFi Only? If No, you need to do so it causes less errors in file to download via WiFi and not Cellular Data [2g, 3g, 4g, etc.]

>> Did You Run MD5 Check on ROM ZIP AFTER download? If No, You really should even if using WiFi only you could possibly have a transfer error [rare but happens due to many factors]. I have posted guide below install steps on how to verify MD5 on downloaded files

>> Did you use Kernel Cleanser, Darkside Super Wipe, and Fix Permissions v2 [my flash zip]? If NO, You really need to follow the guide and be sure you fully wipe data [DO NOT WIPE EMMC OR INTERNAL SD PERIOD] FULLY [just hitting format won't do it especially if installing ICS, hopefully will change soon, but until then you need a clean slate to install ANY ICS ROM EVER, YES EVEN UPGRADES].

>> Did you skip restart allow boot THEN Restart in to recovery Clear Dalvick cache and cache run fix perms v2 and restart? IF YES, you should stop now and do that restart recovery clear cache, clear Dalvick cache and run fix perms [built-in fix perms wont work must use flash pack]

>> I FOLLOWED Everything and Still have a problem, What now, genius?
    Well, sadly, like everything computer and tech SOMETIMES [albeit rare] if you MD5 checked your download and did EVERYTHING right SOMETIMES there may still have been an error when copying files, setting symlinks, or setting permissions during install that while it didn't cause major problem still caused issues. I have had to flash ICS ROMs twice before to get things to fully take [Seems better now on T-mobile based leak than the Skyrocket based leak [imagine that], but can still happen even if EVERYTHING was done right. Just be sure to follow directions again to make sure you didn't gloss over something small and flash again.

I am getting weird errors out of any GAPPS [GMail, GTalk, Market com.google.gapps, etc] After installing a ROM [Darkside evolution is one I BELIEVE], How do I fix that one?

I found that when I removed apks from /system/app in Darkside 2b1 [tw launcher, snstw (twitter) snsli [LinkedIn], Mini Diary, Mini Notes, the Yahoo Stock watching apps, etc] that I got FCs from Google Talk [even though i never touched it, and com.google.gapps [again removed google quick search box but otherwise should never have had an error]. I tried MANY different fixes over many restarts [clear caches fix perms, put the removed apps back everything].

Then I flashed Newest Gapps from http://goo.im/gapps [I believe it is 2012.04.03 [should be newest for CM9 at top of page and no you dont need separate facelock pack as that is included since 2012.0.23 pack so DONT flash facelock ICS labeled pack I had to re-install a different ROM after I accidentally pulled that one myself.

How do I mount my external_sdcard as /sdcard?
    I have found the following guide on how to do just that! Mostly useful only if your micro sd is larger than the 11G internal sd the phone already has. As always, be careful, read entire post before starting, run a full nandroid backup. This is not my work, and ask you to thank the OP if you find this useful.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1454753

OH NO, I am getting Bad Connection to Battery Error Messgae [and/or] When in charging screen [phone off battery grapic on display] and I see a yellow caution sign with a broken battery [and in some cases a rapid vibrate] IS MY PHONE DEAD?!

I ran across this myself not too long ago... First the Basics of how/why this happens the the rundown of how I fixed it :)

How/Why
    ---
    Ok, so you are getting an error message stating bad connection to battery, or your phone is constantly restarting [this is not the only cause] and/or I got a weird yellow caution icon in the charge only screen [the screen seen when phone is off but plugged in to charger] [you may also get a series of quick vibrates as well in charge only screen with this as well].

From my research this seems to be caused by shutdown hangs when phone turns off when OS states 0% battery and goes to auto shutdown [may also happen if like 0 - 1% and you hit shutdown]. When the phone is about dead and goes to shutdown the capacitive lights [that bottom row of menu, home, back, search] stay off. The problem comes in if the ROM you are using hangs during this time. Contrary to popular belief when the OS says 0% and shuts down THIS DOES NOT MEAN THE BATTERY ITSELF IS AT FULLY 0% CHARGE. ANY BATTERY [not taking in to account so new experimental tech that may be out or come along come on lets be reasonable here] CAN NEVER BE TRULY FULLY DRAINED. If this were to occur you would need a special deep trickle charge device to breathe life back in to the battery. So now that's explained...

If shutdown hangs when the battery was already as dead as it can be unless you have that special device if it stays hung then it will very slowly take the battery past this safe point and you run the risk of killing it in such a way you cant revive it with a normal fast charger. Now of course since the phone is in a shutdown state it will hardly use any power at all and this should take hours [if not a couple days; I dunno as I dont want to test this and see how far you can push it] to get to the point of absolutely no return.

So when you go to even plug in to charge Android detects this and assumes the battery is damaged and is truly dead or close to it and warns you.

THE FIX
    ---
    So after that happened when I went ot plug it in to charge the next morning [as I forgot to try to do it before bed and that would have shown a hang and I would have reseated battery and it would have been fine] I got to charge only with the yellow caution symbol and it was constantly quick vibrating so I hurried and pulled the battery and tried to put it back and got no boot vibrate and could not get charge only screen so I called Tmo and went through the motions and they agreed it was the battery and since they only replace phones referred me to Samsung

I called Samsung and to get a new battery they have A CRAZY RMA Policy [to force you to buy a battery rather than get a replacement] where you need the ORIGINAL receipt and then to wait for them to ship you a label [not next day; 5 business days], send it to them, wait for testing, and wait for them to send a new one back [again the SLOW way]. Since I dont have my receipt and refused to wait the crazy 4ish weeks it prolly would turn out to be I called them crazy and hung up. What I did was to leave the battery out of my phone for roughly 12 hours - 1 day [trying to just reseat the battery turned out to do no good the phone would not even boot vibrate even after a couple tries] then when I put it back I got it to boot to charge only screen with the warning and no constant vibrate this time]. I then waited a few min to try and ensure the battery got some charge and then pulled it out and reseated it and plugged phone back in [if you leave charger plugged in phone stays kinda on have to unplug charger AND reseat battery then plug it back in EVERY TIME].

THIS TIME I GOT TO CHARGE ONLY WITH NO WARNINGS! I let it sit for 12 hours [ENSURE it is FULLY CHARGED AS BEST YOU CAN] and I was able to boot the phone. For the next several days I would get random restarts and on occasion I would get an error stating Bad connection to battery. When that happened I had to pull battery reseat it and restart the phone [sometimes a few good times in a row stick with it] and over those few days I CAREFULLY monitored the battery to be sure I did full charge cycles [charged it fully in charge only and as soon as it auto shutdown I made sure to get it RIGHT on the charger [and pulled battery and made sure to see charge only screen to ensure another hang up didnt get me].

After those few days, I felt comfortable to CHARGE IT FULLY IN CHARGE ONLY and ran through calibrating the battery. After the calibration I no longer got random restarts or errors saying Bad Connection to Battery and ever since it has been good to go.

I know that was a little long winded but trying to get all the info in there as I AM NOT TESTING THE CONDITIONS THAT BROUGHT THIS ON TO FURTHER REFINE THE STEPS. Unless someone wants to buy me a couple spare batteries to test this and I know I have a good spare to fall back on.

ROM: Paranoid Android 2.52
    Tweak Script: Newest Supercharger V6 with modified services.jar+KaK+3G Turbocharger
    Battery Calibration and other USEFUL ANDROID INFORMATION as answers to repeated ??s

JB AND ICS ROM Installation Procedure [or any ROM really]
    **If You Follow the steps below it should clear any residual files and should leave you with a totally blank slate for the ROM to install on. So, be sure to do Nandroid and/or Titanium Backup as your scenario dictates**

First, to be thorough you should have 100% battery before flashing for best battery life.

Supplies:(links will be added)

Darkside Cache Wipe [OPTIONAL]
    Darkside Super Wipe Script[Optional if using CWM more mandatory if using TWRP but it can be optional]
    Kernel Cleanser Script [Very optional and only needed if you change kernels a lot and worry about residual files really]
    Fix Permissions V2 by Minotauri Zip [yes v2 and v3 are different get v2]
    Fix Permissions V3 Zip [edified again by Minotauri] [OPTIONAL]

*NEW* SEE Section BELOW INSTALL STEPS FOR HOW TO CHECK A ZIP FILES MD5 Signature via an ANDROID PHONE

ROM Installation Guide

Download The ROM of your choice using your WiFi Connection or Transfer it from your computer. Do not use the cell data connection [E, 3g, 4g] as there are more errors in data downloads this way. Also, some users report that they get the best results when they save the things they flash to their External SDCards. Myself, I use either the Internal Storage [EMMC] or the External SDCard interchangeably.

Reboot Phone in to Recovery

Choose Wipe Dalvick Cache [Advanced Menu]

Back at Main Menu, Tap Mounts and Storage

Tap to Wipe /cache /data and /system [Do each twice in a row]

Back at Main Menu Tap Install From SDCard and choose where you saved the kernel cleanser script and tap it to flash it [I suggest 2x again]

Do same thing for Darkside Superwipe Script [2x]

Restart Recovery [Advanced Menu]

Install From SD choosing your ROM zip file (just as above script zips)

Restart Device and allow to boot [skip account setup for now if it prompts we'll come back] wait 3 min from initial lock screen if unsure.

Restart in to Recovery

Clear Cache [Main Menu] and Dalvick Cache [Advanced Menu]

*(NEW) You can use Darkside Cache wipe here you should not need to clear any caches or to run fix perms separately if you flash Darkside cache wipe skip the above line, flash add-ons as stated in line below AND THEN flash darkside cache wipe (you can manually also skip cache wipes until after add-ons are installed the point is you clear both caches [before or after add-ons] and fix perms AFTER installing everything so adjust according to your tastes

Install any add-ons like super user, toggle zip installing custom radio and kernel last in that order [if nothing to add no worries that's cool]

Install From SDCard and find Fix Permissions v2 and flash it
    or if you wish substitute Darkside cache wip here again subbing out the line right above this text

Restart Device and allow to boot [we cleared Dalvick Cache so yes it will be another longer boot]

You are done [unless you choose to fix ROM Manager so it doesn't freeze partially through fixing permissions while OS is running, but totally optional] Skip to Notes below and onward if not wanting ROM Manager fix

[OPTIONAL For ROM Manager FIX]
    Once phone boots install [if it was not already apart of the ROM] ROM Manager [Premium License install will not affect anything do it now or later either way works]

Restart Device in to recovery

Flash the Fix Permissions V3 [YES VERSION 3 THIS TIME (Won't be needed again after this unless you install a new ROM, or uninstall ROM Manager when you re-install run this again) Just Like you installed the Zips above]

Once Done, Restart Device and let it fully boot and settle [give it 10 min after seeing initial lockscreen if unsure]

Open ROM Manager and Tap the Fix Permissions shortcut and let it do it's magic and it should not freeze on you now [best practice is to keep screen on in ICS it appears ICS sleeps deeper than GB and some apps haven't corrected for this so they stop processing just because device is in deep sleep not because the script is in error!]

DONE, Notes:
    This method seems to ensure the best installation of ROM with least chance of cross contamination from the previous resident. I do find rarely even with this method I have to do this whole thing 2x in a row. This can happen when the data is transferred to the phone during install even if you do everything right. Once you run through it once or twice it gets easy and just throw those scripts and current ROM zip on Internal Storage if you find flashes from there work for you, because you should NEVER format EMMC [Internal Storage] as this will brick your phone [recoverable if you send it to Samsung or buy a $150 box and take your phone apart to connect it up [or if lucky know someone you trust that has one]]; and therefore as long as you have that and access to recovery you can flash your phone.

New Addition 2012.07.10
    UPGRADING YOUR ROM WITHOUT WIPING USER DATA AND APPS!
    This can only be done when upgrading from a previous to a new version of of your current ROM OR if you go from a ROM's base to the ROM [ie Paranoid Android is based on CM10 and you should be able to install Paranoid if you have CM10 without formatting your storage. This does also include how many changes exist between your current version and the one you are installing [ie you have Paranoid 2.2 installed and you try to install 2.52 you are more apt to have issues and/or errors than if you went from 2.51 to 2.52, so I can't account for EVERY scenario, use your best judgement please]. If this is your FIRST FLASH OF CM9 FOLLOW ABOVE INSTRUCTIONS AND USE TITANIUM BACKUP OR LIKE APP TO CARRY OVER USER APPS ONLY!
    *BEFORE THE POSTING BEGINS YES I HAVE TESTED THIS USING NIGHTLY BUILDS AND HAVE DONE THIS OH ONLY ABOUT 12 TIMES IN THE LAST 14 DAYS! IT WORKS EVERY TIME!* I have also done this with both Clockwork Recovery 5.0.2.7 AND Clockwork TOUCH RECOVERY 5.8.1.3. I have not tried and will not risk using the Open Source Recovery [you can tell you are using it if the touch buttons are up and down and the enter key on the bottom of LCD screen and Clockwork Touch is the one the menu options themselves are tappable [If not sure install ROM Manager and have it install one or the other]]

Supplies
    ---------

** = Required
    * = Optional
    [/I]** You can use ROM Manager to Download the ROM file just don't have it start the flashing process automatically.
    You can also visit Cyanogen Download Page
    If you Happen to use the T-Mobile Galaxy S2 so do I so here is a direct link: Cyanogen T-Mobile S2 Download Section
    ** GApps
    Click the top-most link labeled for CyanogenMod 9.0.x in the table at top of the page
    * Chainfire SuperSU
    I recommend Chainfire SuperSU as opposed to Original SuperUser included in CM9. It has some extra features, and its binary has been built better soo far. Well, Original Super User USED to Seg Fault All over ICS, but that has been fixed in the newest release. Chainfire has been built MUCH more recently geared towards ICS moreso [it works in Gingerbread just fine too] so I have stuck with it. If you like it PLEASE donate by buying SuperSU Pro on market. It is not my product, but it is well worth checking out and donating to if you find it useful.

Upgrade Guide

NOTE: It usually takes until AFTER the SDCard checks run through [2 if you installed ext SD] before the cell data even starts to connect, be PATIENT. If you have BEEN PATIENT AND ARE SURE THE RADIO IS ACTING UP FOLLOW ABOVE INSTRUCTIONS TO FLASH A ROM FROM SCRATCH [I recommend Paranoid Android].

Upgrading From a previous CM9 version to a Newer one

Gather the files you downloaded above and throw them on either your internal storage or your SDCard either will do just fine, just make 'em easy to find.

Don't forget to run the MD5 check as explained BELOW to ensure no data corruption during file download if you choose to do so.

FIRST RUN A NANDROID BACKUP [boot in to recovery, and use the backup feature provided in Recovery Menu] Step-by-Step Procedure on that coming soon :) . Of course, if you are an advanced user and do not feel this is needed then skip it, but if not is saving a few minutes skipping it worth rebuilding all your apps and settings if something goes wrong? You decide ...

Boot In To Recovery [Hold middle of Vol buttons so both are in while powering on and release them as soon as you see first Samsung Logo]

Now This is the order I do things, if you are comfortable or as you get comfortable you can change up exact order

Clear Cache [Main Menu]
    Clear Dalvick Cache [Advanced Menu]

Now You can either go in to Mounts and Storage and Format the System Partition for a safer flash [I found not doing this on some Nightlys caused the touch screen to stop responding a lot, now that does seem to be fixed, just noting this incase you start wondering why the power, and vol keys work but the screen stops paying attention to you and how I fixed it go back in to recovery Wipe Storage and flash again from start [meaning dont skip re-flashing the following things as mentioned]]

Go to Install Zip from SDCard and Navigate to the CM Nightly you downloaded and flash it [remember to choose internal storage or SDCard as it applies to where you saved the files
    WITHOUT RESTARTING
    Install Zip and Now choose the Gapps zip [no worries your account info is retained but still flash it or Market and other Gapps will fail to work]
    WITHOUT RESTARTING
    IF you CHOSE to use Chainfire; Install Zip and Now choose the SuperSU zip

Now Run Fix Permissions [in Advanced Menu] IT WORKS FROM RECOVERY WITHOUT A FLASH PACK WHEN USING CM Based ROMs! [When they are installed to begin with if this is your FIRST CM flash then it still will bomb out and not run right] You can also skip this again if comfortable doing so

Once you are done those cache wipes and installs now Restart...

Be patient as anytime you wipe the Dalvick Cache you are on the hook for a LONG boot [~5 min]

Once the OS loads and you give it the 10 min to settle in and setup stats and all that background stuff [again use your judgement if comfortable skipping this]

Be sure to Open SuperSU from App Drawer and tap the button to update the binary when the pop-up prompts you to do so [if you did decide to use it]

Now you are good to go!

Now, THIS WAY you don't have to restore any USER APPs OR DATA [if you didn't wipe System before flash MOST of those settings should remain as well] and you only have your system settings to worry about!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How To Run MD5 Check on Downloaded Zips Before Flashing
    Screenshots will be added also (please bear with me as I have time). This will be via phone so it helps the most people it can I will add a Windows version as well soon, but this will work even if you have no computer.

Supplies and the Basics

An Android Phone
    An MD5 checking App [I will use Android File Verifier (AFV) which is free and available on market and free]
    A Zip to verify and
    a known MD5 number for the zip [usually posted as a line of text with zip (something like MD5: MD5-NUMBER-WHICH-IS-MIX-OF-LETTERS-AND-NUMBERS (Hexadecimal) in thread near download zip [or sometimes changelogs] just copy it to a text file or bookmark thread to refer back once we generate the MD5 signature on the file when we complete downloading it.

Checking a Downloaded Zip's MD5 Signature on an Android Device Guide

[ANY ROM doesn't need to be specifically Gingerbread or ICS]

-> Download Zip you wish to check to some form of storage [Internal or External SD or even USB drive if you have USB host support and adapter doesn't matter where as long as you have enough storage to store the downloaded file.

-> Open Market and Install Android File Verifier [AFV]

-> If first install of AFV then click on return button on pop-up to see main window

-> Now, tap Select File and navigate to where you saved your zip

-> LONGPRESS the zip file [or any really] you want to check and choose calculate MD5 signature from the menu

-> Wait while it calculates the MD5 signature [this takes roughly 2 min with a 275MB ROM zip]

-> Once it is done you will see pop-up stating it is done, what the MD5 is and if you hit return the main window will now list the last checked zip's location with its MD5 checksum. The App also auto copies the number to your clipboard meaning if you saved the OPs MD5 in to a text file you can re-open it hit enter for a clean line, longpress screen and choose paste and it will paste the MD signature there for you to verify together with original signature.

-> You can go back and hit select file again and repeat for any files you would like and AFV supports following file signatures [incase OP likes to use more accurate checks [the longer the signature the more thorough the check, but also the longer it takes to process a file and generate that check]

AFV Supports FOLLOWING FILE SIGNATURE FORMATS:
    * MD-5
    * SHA-1
    * Jar signing
    * Verify Nandroid [MD-5]
    * SHA-224
    * SHA-256 [what I normally use to generate signatures when I release zips as it is more thorough than MD-5]
    * SHA-512

ROM: Newest Paranoid Android [Currently 2.52]
    Tweak Script: Newest Supercharger V6 with modified services.jar+KaK+3G Turbocharger
    sorry, gotta be said, stupidest post ever, clearing battery stats is pointless, and STORES NO INFORMATION ABOUT CELL CAPACITY/OR ANYTHING OF THE SORT, all that is actually on the board inside the cell.. also, check the location, gets wiped installing a new rom anyways? Also, with cell phones (keyword, CELL) Which use lithium ion cells, there is NO POSSIBLE WAY to "calibrate" the cell through the device, please at least research befor posting "how tos" u more or less are wasting peoples time
    @buddy saying killing a lithionum cell will ruin it, also bull****, that. Control board inside is designed to actually stop or "die" around 100mAh meaning its impossible to kill a lithium ion cell without screwing with the board, or leaving it in device, empty, for over 6months.. PLZ PPL, CHECK UR FACTS BEFORE POSTING
    I am sorry if I hurt you're feelings, I can't account for local customs, I am here to pass along info. When I get time I will post links if needed you can google things like google cookies bypass browser settings, google street car suits, etc to double check me. Right now I have a dislocated ankle and getting dental work done so it may take a day or 2 before I can sit down and index the information for you.

Not you RealPariah, you posted an informative thread with information based on your testing and results, and nothing is wrong with that, health debate is good and you provided some good arguments. I was making reference to doug36, and his rather uncalled for comments.