[ROM] Ubuntu Touch Preview [02/27: Alpha Update #1]

Search This thread

willieboya

May 3, 2011
Right now? Not too much... Its a preview

What will it he capable of? EVERYTHING a linux distro can do on the desktop eventually. It'll run android apps, linux apps, most windows apps through wine. You'll be able to write and compile code on it.

I mean.. To answer your question with another question:

What can you do on a full linux distro on your pc that you can't do on android?

Dont try to compare this to firefox os or others... This is NOT a skin. Its a different OS.

--
Sent from my Kindle Fire 2, CM 10.1

Sounds a bit better when explained lol. I take it their will be a custom kernel to reduce the amount of stuff we can't do, obviously it will take time as every good thing does.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire2 using xda app-developers app

mindmajick

Account currently disabled
Sounds a bit better when explained lol. I take it their will be a custom kernel to reduce the amount of stuff we can't do, obviously it will take time as every good thing does.

Yes. Definitely will take time. The kernel used IS the CyanogenMod kernel.. But A LOT of options were enabled that usually aren't used with android.

The android kernel and Linux kernel are one and the same, but the android kernel has a lot of features not enabled (since the android is really doesn't use them)

I'm confident in or developers ability to get the hardware working properly... Hopefully we will see in a few weeks if Canonical will come through. They really need to prove themselves to me although there is a lot of potential if we get REAL linux on our devices. It could he awesome for the whole Linux community by finally bringing Linux mainstream. Plus all the talented XDA developers will have a reason to make linux better.

Edit: btw- someone please correct me if i got things wrong on this statement or the last one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: granadier

danny19901

Nov 4, 2010
Stockton-On-Tees
Can't wait to use this ok flashed it following instructions but on boot i get a blackscreen and nothing but when press power button it flashes screen and goes full black and if press again it turns backlight on ? can anyone help

Last edited:

reinhardrudi

Apr 9, 2013
hallo

hallo

i go to test this and hope to get access to my kindle with my pc. with android and ADB i have no chance.

mfg
reinhardrudi

Last edited:

mog44net

Nov 17, 2011
Any update on this, working? Last few comments say not working...

Would love to try it

I wonder if the mini android base needs updated to reflect changes since feb? (Not that i know how to do that )

Last edited:

chronicfathead

Mar 23, 2008
Sleaford, Lincs
Hi Hash.

Should we consider this thread dead, or is there likely to be an update at some point in the future?

I've seen some of the releases lately and they look good. I'm reasonable when it comes to flashing, and have compiled kernels in the past, but this seems on another level.

Could you let us know how you made the preview before, so hopefully one of us could try and get the current build working?

I know its a big ask, and we appreciate what you do for us few KF2 owners.

Ta

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire2 using Tapatalk 4

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
I talked to him on irc about something involving this recently, I believe he said something about there being a bug with the mini base on the newer version because something wouldn't mount now, may have had something to do with Ubuntu touch using a flipped os now instead of unflipped. He hasn't had time to debug it yet I believe. I don't speak for him and I just vaguely remember the bug, but since this thread hasn't gotten much of an update in a while I thought I'd mention it. I think the mini base should be fairly simple to compile, though the main things I'm confused on is it seems a bit different from the standard deployment approach that ubuntu's instructions for porting use. The main thing I want to know is if most of the files were pulled straight from the cm build, or completely rebuilt from scratch for the Ubuntu os. If I can just pull most of the files from the cm os I have installed, then I think it would be fairly simple to compile the kernel with modifications to run on Ubuntu touch, I just have no idea what needs doing to fix the bug he mentioned. Android is kinda weird by comparison to me when it comes to building the os compared to a standard linux distro.

Edit: weird when I initially was writing this I thought I was in the 8.9" android development forum.
Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app

Last edited:

willieboya

May 3, 2011
no interest?

I'm guessing that the interest has been lost on getting ubuntu touch on the kindle fire, shame would have been ideal for a carputer project i'm looking into

bjoswald

Aug 10, 2011
Ocala
I'm guessing that the interest has been lost on getting ubuntu touch on the kindle fire, shame would have been ideal for a carputer project i'm looking into

Don't give up hope just yet. When Ubuntu Touch takes off (probably shortly after the 14.04 LTS desktop release), Hashcode may revisit the project. But right now, it's just a waste of time.

Feveth

May 17, 2013
Every goo.im link is down. It would be amazing if I could get the base stuff again, or at least a mirror thereof.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ** Work-In-Progress: Ubuntu Touch Preview is just that.. a PREVIEW. Do not complain about missing features, etc. The OS isn't nearly ready for primetime. **

THIS REQUIRES THE 2ND-BOOTLOADER/RECOVERY ALREADY BE INSTALLED ON YOUR DEVICE. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THAT, THEN START HERE:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2100963

Curious as to how the Ubuntu Touch Preview looks? Why not load it on your Kindle Fire 2 and see for yourself.

CHANGES:
    • [02/27] Fixed the UI DPI settings. Needs to re-flash following the instructions below.

Instructions [CHANGED 02/27]:

1. Make a Titanium Backup and/or backup in recovery of your current Android. This preview is fun to play with but not a replacement for something as developed as CM 10.1

2. Download the Kindle Fire2 Mini-Android base for Ubuntu Touch and place it on your device:
    [02/27] http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter2/ubuntu-phablet/phablet-20130227-otter2.zip
    md5sum: c7d61c7a4c1ecb8f4118e5916ad75417

3. Download the latest Ubuntu Touch Preview Filesystem .zip from Ubuntu:
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-touch-preview/daily-preinstalled/current/quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip

If the above link is broken, use this link for a full listing of the current build files (download the quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip .. soon to be raring-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip):
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-touch-preview/daily-preinstalled/current/

4. Reboot into recovery.

4a. Wipe system and Factory Reset (wipes data/cache).

IMPORTANT:
    4b. Install the quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip FIRST, and then the phablet-2013xxxx-otter2.zip SECOND.

5. Reboot and Enjoy

NOTE: The preview comes pre-loaded with several users in the login screen and they have data to browse around with. Move to the "Guest" account and tap on area where it tells you to login.

WHAT WORKS:

• Display
    • Touch screen

WHAT DOESN'T WORK:

There's so much that is still being implemented into the Touch version of Ubuntu, that this list could get pretty long.
    • [FIXED 02/27] Need to adjust the GRID_UNIT_PX in /home/phablet/.bashrc to be slightly smaller so that the on-screen keyboard fits correctly.
    • Oddly no WIFI yet. Still troubleshooting.
    • No sound
    • Barely any sensors other than touchscreen work. IE: no rotation, etc. Ubuntu WIP issue.
    • No HD codecs (still being worked on) Ubuntu WIP issue.
    • No screen timeout / auto blank -- becareful when walking away from the device. Need to press the power button to turn the screen off. Ubuntu WIP issue.

RELATED UBUNTU TOUCH LINKS:
    (Some of these describe how to install it on devices -- you can ignore those instructions and follow the above for the Kindle Fire 2)

Ubuntu Touch Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/
    Release Notes: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/ReleaseNotes
    IRC Channel on freenode.net: #ubuntu-touch
    Don't get me wrong I am no expert but wat does it offer besides a user interface?

Right now? Not too much... Its a preview

What will it he capable of? EVERYTHING a linux distro can do on the desktop eventually. It'll run android apps, linux apps, most windows apps through wine. You'll be able to write and compile code on it.

I mean.. To answer your question with another question:

What can you do on a full linux distro on your pc that you can't do on android?

Dont try to compare this to firefox os or others... This is NOT a skin. Its a different OS.

--
    Sent from my Kindle Fire 2, CM 10.1

Yes. Definitely will take time. The kernel used IS the CyanogenMod kernel.. But A LOT of options were enabled that usually aren't used with android.

The android kernel and Linux kernel are one and the same, but the android kernel has a lot of features not enabled (since the android is really doesn't use them)

I'm confident in or developers ability to get the hardware working properly... Hopefully we will see in a few weeks if Canonical will come through. They really need to prove themselves to me although there is a lot of potential if we get REAL linux on our devices. It could he awesome for the whole Linux community by finally bringing Linux mainstream. Plus all the talented XDA developers will have a reason to make linux better.

Edit: btw- someone please correct me if i got things wrong on this statement or the last one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Would love to try this but I can't get it to boot.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire2 using xda premium