[GAPPS][CLOSED][4.4.4] PA-GOOGLE APPS (All ROM's) [CLOSED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Ok_Kaleidoscope5109

Dec 29, 2009
setting > privacy guard > advanced > google play services > disable wakeup, keep awake & auto start > reboot

systemupdateservice will disappeared or try out newer version 7.0.97 google play services or wait for next version.

7.0.97 still has the SystemUpdateService wakelock issue. This issue affects custom ROMs that have disabled the SystemUpdateService service.

I know that many people recommend disabling wakeup for Play services as the fix, but I strongly disagree

1. This is too heavy handed of an approach.
  2. Wakelocks are in general not bad. You need them for certain functionality when the phone screen is off.
  3. What's bad is EXCESSIVE wakelocks
  4. Play services uses wakelocks for other things
  5. By disabling ALL ability for Play services to wake your phone, you are introducing other adverse effects
  6. You really only have ONE problematic wakelock here, and it is the SystemUpdateService wakelock, so why not just target that specific wakelock alone?

My solution? Use Wakelock Terminator (Root Required), and block the SystemUpdateService wakelock from Google Play services. BAM. Wakelock eliminated, while the other functionality of Play Services is not affected.

khanmein

Nov 28, 2011
Batu Pahat
7.0.97 still has the SystemUpdateService wakelock issue. This issue affects custom ROMs that have disabled the SystemUpdateService service.

I know that many people recommend disabling wakeup for Play services as the fix, but I strongly disagree

1. This is too heavy handed of an approach.
  2. Wakelocks are in general not bad. You need them for certain functionality when the phone screen is off.
  3. What's bad is EXCESSIVE wakelocks
  4. Play services uses wakelocks for other things
  5. By disabling ALL ability for Play services to wake your phone, you are introducing other adverse effects
  6. You really only have ONE problematic wakelock here, and it is the SystemUpdateService wakelock, so why not just target that specific wakelock alone?

My solution? Use Wakelock Terminator (Root Required), and block the SystemUpdateService wakelock from Google Play services. BAM. Wakelock eliminated, while the other functionality of Play Services is not affected.

this wakelock cause the battery drained. i didn't affected with any adverse effects. blamed play store + android cos ios & itunes app store got not such wakelock. i'm waiting my phone dead only change to iphone.

battery is more important than those play services. privacy guard implemented for a reason & y don't u fully utilize? u sound like privacy guard is pretty useless. disable wakeup & keep awake is more than enough.

Last edited:

Ok_Kaleidoscope5109

Dec 29, 2009
this wakelock cause the battery drained. i didn't affected with any adverse effects. blamed play store + android cos ios & itunes app store got not such wakelock. i'm waiting my phone dead only change to iphone.

battery is more important than those play services. privacy guard implemented for a reason & y don't u fully utilize? u sound like privacy guard is pretty useless. disable wakeup & keep awake is more than enough.

I don't doubt that Privacy Guard works. Privacy guard isn't implemented into the system so that you can use such a heavy handed approach to deal with the problem.

Let me draw a parallel from this wakelock to a faucet leak. Your faucet is leaking and dripping. The root cause may be a gasket or o-ring that needs to be replaced. But instead of dealing with the faucet leak or even plugging the leak (band-aid fix), you shut off the water main. Sure, you resolved the leak. Now you can't flush the toilet, shower, or do the dishes in the kitchen.

That's exactly what you're doing by blocking Play Services entirely. The recent issues with Play Services are about SystemUpdateService alone. So why not deal with that problem alone?

This is XDA, and honestly I expect a bit more critical thinking. It's important to know what Play Services does. One important thing it has is the location API that developers of 3rd party apps can leverage. It handles location calls from 3rd party apps--so when your favorite weather widget, or Yelp or Foursquare/Swarm or Facebook wants background location updates, Play Services is responsible. Play Services is also responsible for Google Now location updates--background weather, traffic info.

Now this doesn't mean Google Now can't work, but if you disallow Play Services to work in the background, a lot of things could potentially be broken. Just because you might not notice the adverse effects you may have created doesn't mean you didn't create any. There are hundreds of bugs being fixed daily with app updates--do we notice all of those? Likely not.

dannyella

Jan 23, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S9
I don't doubt that Privacy Guard works. Privacy guard isn't implemented into the system so that you can use such a heavy handed approach to deal with the problem.

Let me draw a parallel from this wakelock to a faucet leak. Your faucet is leaking and dripping. The root cause may be a gasket or o-ring that needs to be replaced. But instead of dealing with the faucet leak or even plugging the leak (band-aid fix), you shut off the water main. Sure, you resolved the leak. Now you can't flush the toilet, shower, or do the dishes in the kitchen.

That's exactly what you're doing by blocking Play Services entirely. The recent issues with Play Services are about SystemUpdateService alone. So why not deal with that problem alone?

This is XDA, and honestly I expect a bit more critical thinking. It's important to know what Play Services does. One important thing it has is the location API that developers of 3rd party apps can leverage. It handles location calls from 3rd party apps--so when your favorite weather widget, or Yelp or Foursquare/Swarm or Facebook wants background location updates, Play Services is responsible. Play Services is also responsible for Google Now location updates--background weather, traffic info.

Now this doesn't mean Google Now can't work, but if you disallow Play Services to work in the background, a lot of things could potentially be broken. Just because you might not notice the adverse effects you may have created doesn't mean you didn't create any. There are hundreds of bugs being fixed daily with app updates--do we notice all of those? Likely not.

It's a workaround. Yes, I agree it's a band-aid fix that works for the mean time until a real fix is out by Google or Rom devs. Like he said, it has not have any adverse effect so far or at least for me. Until then it's viable fix. That said, it's already fixed CM in the latest nightly so it should not be long till it get fixed in other Roms.

Last edited:

Ok_Kaleidoscope5109

Dec 29, 2009
It's a workaround. Yes, I agree it's a band-aid fix that works for the mean time until a real fix is out by Google or Rom devs. Like he said, it has not have any adverse effect so far or at least for me. Until then it's viable fix. That said, it's already fixed CM in the latest nightly so it should not be long till it get fixed in other Roms.

Like I said, there's a strategic band-aid fix that deals specifically with this Play Services 7.x issue--why not use it? Why disable other features of Play Services?

And just because you have not noticed any issues, doesn't mean you didn't inadvertently cause something. I doubt many users are concerned with proper software validation testing that goes in typical software development initiatives before implementing a fix.

And as you said, the fix is in the CM nightlies, but this is a thread about 4.4.x Gapps, meaning that CM11 users are still affected. The fix for CM12 made it in earlier, but the CM11 patch that got in last night won't help many users who can't get CM11 nightlies anymore.

TKruzze

Thread Closing Announcement

After spending some time away from XDA, I have decided to take an extended break from providing and maintaining PA GApps. While I am leaving the door open to a possible return, I will be closing down my threads here on XDA at this time. And, although I won't be closing my XDA account, I probably won't be responding to PM's either.

While I had considered a move to Google+, it became apparent that even though I would have more control over things on G+, more work would also be requried to maintain things to the standard I had previously set here on XDA. Clearly, this is not a valid option for me at this time.

I'd like to thank the regular participants of my threads here on XDA. It was your participation and support that kept me motivated the past two years I've provided this free service and it's my interaction with you folks I'll miss most. Best of luck to y'all and perhaps our paths will cross again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts