Quick rom customization question

Search This thread

KingSkeme

Jan 22, 2010
Im trying to add some ringtones and apps into one of my favorite roms so things will be a little easier when Im testing out other roms...I think the new zip file I make though needs to be signed. Can anyone point me into the right direction??

KingSkeme

Jan 22, 2010
You can get any custom ROM working on your Rogers Magic and basically on every HTC branded Magic around. If you like to "port" a custom Google-branded ROM to a HTC-branded ROM follow these steps :

- I assume that you have basic Linux knowledge and that you know how to set up your own environment and tools, unpack gz files and cpio them etc...

- Download these tools. They contain the JesusFreke's SignApp, William Enck's splitboot using my recompiled mkbootimg-H binary (including the HTC branded offsets), and a repack pearl script.

Now the actually work :

1. Get the boot.img and recovery.img from your original HTC branded Magic (fastboot my recovery image and use nandroid for this).
2. unpack the boot.img and recovery.img using unpack-H.pl.
3. move both kernels somewhere save, you'll need them later.
4. Download the google branded custom ROM you want to port, most of the custom ROMs come in the form of a update.zip file.
5. Extract the boot.img and recovery.img (if there is one) from the update.zip.
6. unpack the boot.img and recovery.img (same as step 2).
7. replace both kernels with the ones you saved previously in step 3.
8. repack boot boot.img and recovery.img using repack-H.pl
9. copy both boot.img and recovery.img in the update.zip package making sure you overwrite the existing ones inside with the new ones.
10. Sign the update.zip file with SignApp (see readme inside rar).
11. Copy the update.zip file to your SDcard.
12. fastboot my recovery image and choose data wipe and then update.
13. reboot

Good luck :)

This is where I get confused at. I read this "Usage:
java -jar signapk.jar testkey.x509.pem testkey.pk8 <update.zip> <update_signed.zip>" But I dont know how to do that...Im using OSX right now is there any way to do it or do I need linux?