Learn about the repo tool , manifests and local manifests and 5 important tips !

Search This thread

UtkarshGupta

Nov 17, 2012
New Delhi
i have 2 repos that i sync.
1 - domination
2 - cm

now intially i only had domination. (in ~/android)
then i added cm with reference flag to domination. (in ~/cm10)
now domination team decided to work with pacman team so domination repo is of no use anymore.
but i still want cm repo but i wanna delete domination repo.
but if i do that, i will have to sync all the local objects again or all the files which were previously obtained from domination repo.
is there any way to keep only cm repo and be able to delete domination repo.
i know i can wipe out all the folders from android (except .repo) but then files from other repos will still be left behind but my motive is to free up as much space as possible.

Red Devil

Oct 25, 2012
Mumbai
i have 2 repos that i sync.
1 - domination
2 - cm

now intially i only had domination. (in ~/android)
then i added cm with reference flag to domination. (in ~/cm10)
now domination team decided to work with pacman team so domination repo is of no use anymore.
but i still want cm repo but i wanna delete domination repo.
but if i do that, i will have to sync all the local objects again or all the files which were previously obtained from domination repo.
is there any way to keep only cm repo and be able to delete domination repo.
i know i can wipe out all the folders from android (except .repo) but then files from other repos will still be left behind but my motive is to free up as much space as possible.
What you can do is manually copy paste the projects that are missing from your CM's repo from your Domination's repos.
Which repos ? You will have to manually search through : the sync log.

Code:
repo --trace sync -c -d -jX
might help you track what is missing. Tough luck though.

thewisenerd

Sep 27, 2012
[Q]Getting patches using repo???

As I write this, sharing your agony (slow internet speed (~50 kBps)), I was wondering if there was something which would help me patch the existing, already-downloaded source code without having to download the whole project again...

Example:
1. I downloaded source.
2. Someone committed changes to repo, say 5-6 commits.
3. I do repo sync again, it is naturally gonna re-download the project. I don't want the whole project to be downloaded again. I want something that automatically downloads the *.patch files and patches my source, so that I can keep it updated without using much of bandwidth.

Is this even possible??? :eek:

p.s. cherry picking, yeah, I read, but doing it for each and every commit? there ought to be another simple way...

Nihar.G

May 4, 2012
Pune
As I write this, sharing your agony (slow internet speed (~50 kBps)), I was wondering if there was something which would help me patch the existing, already-downloaded source code without having to download the whole project again...

Example:
1. I downloaded source.
2. Someone committed changes to repo, say 5-6 commits.
3. I do repo sync again, it is naturally gonna re-download the project. I don't want the whole project to be downloaded again. I want something that automatically downloads the *.patch files and patches my source, so that I can keep it updated without using much of bandwidth.

Is this even possible??? :eek:

p.s. cherry picking, yeah, I read, but doing it for each and every commit? there ought to be another simple way...
It doesn't re-download the whole project.

Sent from my HTC Explorer A310e using Tapatalk 4

Reactions: thewisenerd

thewisenerd

Sep 27, 2012
But then... how would it sync the tree to master (if it doesn't download the whole project again)???

thewisenerd

Sep 27, 2012
It will take a reference of the last commit that is present in your local source and then download the commits that newly have been committed... that's how git works !

So, only the first repo sync is a headache (i.e. requires a lot of time)! :highfive: :laugh:

You just made my day! ;) :p

P.S. Was waiting for CM sources to get stable with the fear of frameworks_base being changed every few hours. And, it takes a 2 GB download :cyclops:

AGONTUK

Feb 22, 2013
Dhaka
Great guide bro, very useful for beginners :good:

Here'e my problem. I started to sync a repo then in halfway I found out that it was outdated. So I stopped syncing, created a new folder and began syncing from a new source. I used --reference from the previous folder since it has downloaded half of the folders.

My sync completed succesfully and I tried syncing again, it gave me no errors. Then I deleted the referenced folder (half synced folder) since it's useless. Now when I start sync in my new source folder, it's giving me all kinds of errors :(

is it becasue I deleted the referenced folder? What should I do ?

Last edited:

Red Devil

Oct 25, 2012
Mumbai
Great guide bro, very useful for beginners :good:

Thanks man.. really appreciate your comments. :) :cowboy:

My sync completed succesfully and I tried syncing again, it gave me no errors. Then I deleted the referenced folder (half synced folder) since it's useless. Now when I start sync in my new source folder, it's giving me all kinds of errors :(

is it becasue I deleted the referenced folder? What should I do ?

Actually it was because you deleted the reference folder it is giving you errors. It symlinks the referenced source to the current downloaded directory to which you are freshly repo syncing. I found out I have mentioned it copies it to the new folder. It was my bad. Ill correct that right away. I didn't notice it till you mentioned it now.
Thanks.

What you can do now is to reference whatever you have now and start another fresh repo sync. That must do the trick.

BTW.. if you ever get a problem with the repo tool getting updated again or what not.. just delete the ~/bin folder and redownload the repo tool.. It wont make any difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: AGONTUK

AGONTUK

Feb 22, 2013
Dhaka
What you can do now is to reference whatever you have now and start another fresh repo sync. That must do the trick.

I tried but it also gives errors. Maybe because it checks for reference in my current source folder and gets redirected to the deleted source :(
I guess I have to start fresh again. So I have to keep my original source (that I downloaded fully) no matter what ?

Another question, you mentioned to set CCACHE value to 50~100GB. But I have created 40GB drive for ubuntu. Is this gonna be a problem ?

Last edited:

Red Devil

Oct 25, 2012
Mumbai
I tried but it also gives errors. Maybe because it checks for reference in my current source folder and gets redirected to the deleted source :(
I guess I have to start fresh again. So I have to keep my original source (that I downloaded fully) no matter what ?

Another question, you mentioned to set CCACHE value to 50~100GB. But I have created 40GB drive for ubuntu. Is this gonna be a problem ?
You can still scavange the source for some downloaded repos and manually copy paste them while syncing it the latest time. Check the .repo/projects.

CCACHE can be set to any value. To make a significant difference it can be set to the recommended value. Else too it makes the compilation speed a bit faster. You can try setting it to a value you like below 50 GB too.

One more thing. Try to allot more space to Ubuntu .. 40 GB may or may not be enough for the whole source + out folder.. after compilation. Its better you have at least around 75-100GBs.. If I were you.. I'd just bomb everything.. Just take a backup of all the downloaded packages of linux .. put it on an external Hard Drive.. start again by installing linux.. and then allot around 15-20 GB for linux.. create another partition of around 100 GB and then install all packages.. and repo sync from the new partition. EXT4 is the best partition type.

Last edited:

AGONTUK

Feb 22, 2013
Dhaka
You can still scavange the source for some downloaded repos and manually copy paste them while syncing it the latest time. Check the .repo/projects.
OK, sync is complete. I still need some basic info about building....

1) I ran some commands like vendor/cm/get-prebuilts, . build/envsetup.sh, make -j4 otatools etc. There are lots of messages showing up in the terminal and I noticed some warnings like "not found".
How can I be sure that this initial processes are completed successfully?

2) Say I modified files, created new ones. Now I want to revert back to the original source that I downloaded. Can it be done by repo sync ?

3) I'm just following steps blindly from a guide (like you mentioned in OP :cool:). I want to learn what is actually happening in the background, which files get called. Is there any guide about the source files/folders you can point me to ?

4) Also I want to learn how my device is configured for build. I know that different .mk files are behind this but a guide would be great.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Red Devil

Oct 25, 2012
Mumbai
OK, sync is complete. I still need some basic info about building....

1) I ran some commands like vendor/cm/get-prebuilts, . build/envsetup.sh, make -j4 otatools etc. There are lots of messages showing up in the terminal and I noticed some warnings like "not found".
How can I be sure that this initial processes are completed successfully?

Well if you mean if ensuring the sync is done.. ? then just repo sync again.. it will check if all the stuff is downloaded and if everything is up to date.

2) Say I modified files, created new ones. Now I want to revert back to the original source that I downloaded. Can it be done by repo sync ?

If you have called your own repos and pushed those commits to your own repos / made changes in the stuff not declared in the manifest .. then the repo sync command shouldnt pop up an issue. Else it will ask you to commit these changes.
Do a
Code:
 git reset --hard
in the local repositories where you have made the changes ...
3) I'm just following steps blindly from a guide (like you mentioned in OP :cool:). I want to learn what is actually happening in the background, which files get called. Is there any guide about the source files/folders you can point me to ?

4) Also I want to learn how my device is configured for build. I know that different .mk files are behind this but a guide would be great.

Thanks in advance :)

Well, if we could, then we would write a guide on everything... But you and I know that it is not practically possible. There may be guides I may not know of but Some stuff you will have to learn on your own experimenting and going through code. Some basics of Programming languages like python , c , c++ and java are a must. So , let The Internet be your guide.

AGONTUK

Feb 22, 2013
Dhaka
Well if you mean if ensuring the sync is done.. ? then just repo sync again.. it will check if all the stuff is downloaded and if everything is up to date.
What I meant is that this setup like envsetup.sh, do they actually change any files or just build the environment ? I'm more confused about make -j4 otatools cause when I run it, it shows so many verbose output that I really can't see if there is any error occurred.

If you have called your own repos and pushed those commits to your own repos / made changes in the stuff not declared in the manifest .. then the repo sync command shouldnt pop up an issue. Else it will ask you to commit these changes.
Do a
Code:
 git reset --hard
in the local repositories where you have made the changes ...
So that means if I only manually edit files, then I have to do this. Those environment setup doesn't do anything to the files ?

Well, if we could, then we would write a guide on everything... But you and I know that it is not practically possible. There may be guides I may not know of but Some stuff you will have to learn on your own experimenting and going through code. Some basics of Programming languages like python , c , c++ and java are a must. So , let The Internet be your guide.
I am trying bro. But just a info about which folders are for what purpose, which folders I will actually make changes to, which should be left untouched etc would be nice :). If you ever come across any post/thread, pls tell me.

Red Devil

Oct 25, 2012
Mumbai
What I meant is that this setup like envsetup.sh, do they actually change any files or just build the environment ? I'm more confused about make -j4 otatools cause when I run it, it shows so many verbose output that I really can't see if there is any error occurred.

envsetup just sets up which makefiles have to be called before the build starts. Ok , heres the deal. As long as the build continues.. let it keep building. If something breaks during the build.. the build will terminate.. and fix that.. After that.. see if the build is as you want it to be. If it is not then start debugging. You can use the "tee" command to capture the output of the terminal. and according to the fixes you need.. you can check the warnings and corresponding fixes.

So that means if I only manually edit files, then I have to do this. Those environment setup doesn't do anything to the files ?
I am trying bro. But just a info about which folders are for what purpose, which folders I will actually make changes to, which should be left untouched etc would be nice :). If you ever come across any post/thread, pls tell me.

envsetup.sh is a bash script. Open it up and see what it does. It maybe slightly different depending upon the ROM. As I said it will just call.

As far as changes are concerned. You musts be limited only to the changes only in your device tree.. i.e. android/device/oem/codename/ folder..
If you want to port a ROM to your device i.e.. If you own a legacy device , you may need to track your own device tree / and device specific repos that are needed to make the ROM boot.

If you want to make a new ROM altogether.. then yes you will have to modify a lot of stuff.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Why this thread?

Hello xda-university !

As a newbie ( still remain a big newbie ) , I always had a tough time managing my ROMs and kernel projects.
    I blindly followed what guides said .. and then realized how much time and energy I was wasting on downloading unnecessary $#!t from the internet as I have a very limited bandwidth and a particularly slow speed. ( around 80 kbps download speed :eek: )

While I am not a pro at this stuff, I would like to share a few tips and tricks about ROM building which will save some of your time , energy, space as well as a lot of the money while returning back to our great community out here.

After all efficiency is what matters in the end right ? ;)

Also , understanding how the process works is more important that the process itself .

For what its worth , even a build bot can compile a ROM.. thats no biggie.

Learning how it works matters more ! :)

Tired of waiting for that repo sync to end ?!!!

READ ON !

Prerequisites / Requirements​

Some rough knowledge on compiling a ROM or experience of compiling a ROM.

Check out this thread ! : COMPILE From Source For Any Phone On Linux Distros [BUILD ENVIRONMENT TO COMPILE] by @mithun46

That was just to scare you ;). Though this will be more useful if you do have that knowledge . :)

Ok now moving on to the guide :

Google's Repo Tool

I ll just start off with a basic introduction of

Repository :

Repository is basically like a store room for code. It can be either selfmade i.e. you have yourself contributed it or claim to have written that code .. ( circled in yellow )

Or it can also be forked from someone else ... that is .. it is a version of someone else's code that you have modified a bit and pushed it to the remote server/ website. ( circled in black )

Look at the icons on the left of the name of the repository to know .​

2iszRd5.png

There are a variety of websites that offer such free hosting for code for eg : Github.com(which I will be using in this tutorial) and BitBucket.org among others..

Repo tool :

You maybe very familiar with the words repo init , repo sync , etc while downloading source.

Where did that repo command come from ?

Remember this ? :

Code:
    curl https://dl-ssl.google.com/dl/googlesource/git-repo/repo > ~/bin/repo

Yep thats where it came from .

So in order to use the repo tool you need to run this command at least once.

What this does is it download the repo tool from Google's source and makes it executable for your own use.​

How does the repo tool work ?

The repo tool is used for downloading a bunch of remote repositories that are on the internet thru one single command :

Code:
    repo sync -j4

Details , details and more details

To explain this , I will take an example of a ROM, say AOKP.

For building AOKP you need to download its source code.

AOKP ROM developers have maintained the ROM's source code in a large number of Repositories that are located at www.github.com/AOKP.

What they have done is they have organized their source code into a number of folders for and uploaded it to separate repositories online.

What this does is , it enables all the ROM developers to work on a specific part of the source on their own computers and then push the source online to remote repository online so that he can share the code with all the developers of the same ROM. ( just a basic idea. it involves a lot more including pull requests and code reviews but we will stick with this for now )

Social coding at its best. :highfive:

So during the command :

Code:
     repo sync -j4

What is done is the repo tool fetches all the remote repositories that the AOKP ROM devs have deemed necessary for building the ROM for a device through 4 threads.

If you have a slow internet connection then it is advised to use -j1 or -j2.
    If you have a fast internet connection then you can use a -j16 or a -j32 whatever suits you the best.

Where does the repo tool take all the reference when downloading ??

The repo tool takes all the reference for the code to be downloaded from a Default.xml or a Manifest.xml.

The manifest.xml is a file which is written in xml markup and directs the repo tool to the repositories and their respective branches that need to be downloaded .

This is basically a huge list of all the repositories that need to be downloaded by the repo tool.​

Where can this list of yours be found ?

Once you have initialized your repo sync which will be somewhat similar to this :

Code:
    akshat@vaio:~$ mkdir -p kang
    akshat@vaio:~$ cd kang
    akshat@vaio:~/kang$ repo init -u https://github.com/AOKP/platform_manifest.git -b jb-mr1
    Get https://gerrit.googlesource.com/git-repo
    remote: Counting objects: 101, done
    remote: Finding sources: 100% (101/101)
    Receiving objects: 100% (2526/2526), 1.69 MiB | 67 KiB/s, done.
    remote: Total 2526 (delta 1442), reused 2526 (delta 1442)
    Resolving deltas: 100% (1442/1442), done.
    From https://gerrit.googlesource.com/git-repo
     * [new branch]      maint      -> origin/maint
     * [new branch]      master     -> origin/master
     * [new branch]      stable     -> origin/stable
     * [new tag]         v1.0       -> v1.0
     * [new tag]         v1.0.1     -> v1.0.1
     * [new tag]         v1.0.2     -> v1.0.2
     * [new tag]         v1.0.3     -> v1.0.3
     * [new tag]         v1.0.4     -> v1.0.4
     * [new tag]         v1.0.5     -> v1.0.5
     * [new tag]         v1.0.6     -> v1.0.6
     * [new tag]         v1.0.7     -> v1.0.7
     * [new tag]         v1.0.8     -> v1.0.8
     * [new tag]         v1.0.9     -> v1.0.9
     * [new tag]         v1.1       -> v1.1
     * [new tag]         v1.10.0    -> v1.10.0
     * [new tag]         v1.10.1    -> v1.10.1
     * [new tag]         v1.10.2    -> v1.10.2
     * [new tag]         v1.10.3    -> v1.10.3
     * [new tag]         v1.10.4    -> v1.10.4
     * [new tag]         v1.11.0    -> v1.11.0
     * [new tag]         v1.11.1    -> v1.11.1
     * [new tag]         v1.12.0    -> v1.12.0
     * [new tag]         v1.12.1    -> v1.12.1
     * [new tag]         v1.12.2    -> v1.12.2
     * [new tag]         v1.2       -> v1.2
     * [new tag]         v1.3       -> v1.3
     * [new tag]         v1.3.1     -> v1.3.1
     * [new tag]         v1.3.2     -> v1.3.2
     * [new tag]         v1.4       -> v1.4
     * [new tag]         v1.4.1     -> v1.4.1
     * [new tag]         v1.4.2     -> v1.4.2
     * [new tag]         v1.4.3     -> v1.4.3
     * [new tag]         v1.4.4     -> v1.4.4
     * [new tag]         v1.5       -> v1.5
     * [new tag]         v1.5.1     -> v1.5.1
     * [new tag]         v1.6       -> v1.6
     * [new tag]         v1.6.1     -> v1.6.1
     * [new tag]         v1.6.10    -> v1.6.10
     * [new tag]         v1.6.10.1  -> v1.6.10.1
     * [new tag]         v1.6.10.2  -> v1.6.10.2
     * [new tag]         v1.6.2     -> v1.6.2
     * [new tag]         v1.6.3     -> v1.6.3
     * [new tag]         v1.6.4     -> v1.6.4
     * [new tag]         v1.6.5     -> v1.6.5
     * [new tag]         v1.6.6     -> v1.6.6
     * [new tag]         v1.6.7     -> v1.6.7
     * [new tag]         v1.6.7.1   -> v1.6.7.1
     * [new tag]         v1.6.7.2   -> v1.6.7.2
     * [new tag]         v1.6.7.3   -> v1.6.7.3
     * [new tag]         v1.6.7.4   -> v1.6.7.4
     * [new tag]         v1.6.7.5   -> v1.6.7.5
     * [new tag]         v1.6.8     -> v1.6.8
     * [new tag]         v1.6.8.1   -> v1.6.8.1
     * [new tag]         v1.6.8.10  -> v1.6.8.10
     * [new tag]         v1.6.8.11  -> v1.6.8.11
     * [new tag]         v1.6.8.2   -> v1.6.8.2
     * [new tag]         v1.6.8.3   -> v1.6.8.3
     * [new tag]         v1.6.8.4   -> v1.6.8.4
     * [new tag]         v1.6.8.5   -> v1.6.8.5
     * [new tag]         v1.6.8.6   -> v1.6.8.6
     * [new tag]         v1.6.8.7   -> v1.6.8.7
     * [new tag]         v1.6.8.8   -> v1.6.8.8
     * [new tag]         v1.6.8.9   -> v1.6.8.9
     * [new tag]         v1.6.9     -> v1.6.9
     * [new tag]         v1.6.9.1   -> v1.6.9.1
     * [new tag]         v1.6.9.2   -> v1.6.9.2
     * [new tag]         v1.6.9.3   -> v1.6.9.3
     * [new tag]         v1.6.9.4   -> v1.6.9.4
     * [new tag]         v1.6.9.5   -> v1.6.9.5
     * [new tag]         v1.6.9.6   -> v1.6.9.6
     * [new tag]         v1.6.9.7   -> v1.6.9.7
     * [new tag]         v1.6.9.8   -> v1.6.9.8
     * [new tag]         v1.7       -> v1.7
     * [new tag]         v1.7.1     -> v1.7.1
     * [new tag]         v1.7.2     -> v1.7.2
     * [new tag]         v1.7.3     -> v1.7.3
     * [new tag]         v1.7.3.1   -> v1.7.3.1
     * [new tag]         v1.7.4     -> v1.7.4
     * [new tag]         v1.7.4.1   -> v1.7.4.1
     * [new tag]         v1.7.4.2   -> v1.7.4.2
     * [new tag]         v1.7.4.3   -> v1.7.4.3
     * [new tag]         v1.7.5     -> v1.7.5
     * [new tag]         v1.7.6     -> v1.7.6
     * [new tag]         v1.7.6.1   -> v1.7.6.1
     * [new tag]         v1.7.7     -> v1.7.7
     * [new tag]         v1.7.7.1   -> v1.7.7.1
     * [new tag]         v1.7.7.2   -> v1.7.7.2
     * [new tag]         v1.7.7.3   -> v1.7.7.3
     * [new tag]         v1.7.7.4   -> v1.7.7.4
     * [new tag]         v1.7.7.5   -> v1.7.7.5
     * [new tag]         v1.7.7.6   -> v1.7.7.6
     * [new tag]         v1.7.8     -> v1.7.8
     * [new tag]         v1.7.8.1   -> v1.7.8.1
     * [new tag]         v1.7.8.2   -> v1.7.8.2
     * [new tag]         v1.8.0     -> v1.8.0
     * [new tag]         v1.8.1     -> v1.8.1
     * [new tag]         v1.8.2     -> v1.8.2
     * [new tag]         v1.9.0     -> v1.9.0
     * [new tag]         v1.9.1     -> v1.9.1
     * [new tag]         v1.9.2     -> v1.9.2
     * [new tag]         v1.9.3     -> v1.9.3
     * [new tag]         v1.9.4     -> v1.9.4
     * [new tag]         v1.9.5     -> v1.9.5
     * [new tag]         v1.9.6     -> v1.9.6
    Get https://github.com/AOKP/platform_manifest.git
      % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                     Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
      0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:--  0:00:02 --:--:--     0
    curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
    Server does not provide clone.bundle; ignoring.
    remote: Counting objects: 1722, done.
    remote: Compressing objects: 100% (1012/1012), done.
    remote: Total 1722 (delta 839), reused 1552 (delta 709)
    Receiving objects: 100% (1722/1722), 249.52 KiB | 50 KiB/s, done.
    Resolving deltas: 100% (839/839), done.
    From https://github.com/AOKP/platform_manifest
     * [new branch]      ics        -> origin/ics
     * [new branch]      jb         -> origin/jb
     * [new branch]      jb-mr1     -> origin/jb-mr1
     * [new tag]         Build-2    -> Build-2
     * [new tag]         Build-3    -> Build-3
     * [new tag]         Build-4    -> Build-4
     * [new tag]         Build-5    -> Build-5
     * [new tag]         Milestone-1 -> Milestone-1
     * [new tag]         jb-mr1_build-1 -> jb-mr1_build-1
     * [new tag]         jb-mr1_build-4 -> jb-mr1_build-4
     * [new tag]         jb-mr1_build-6 -> jb-mr1_build-6
     * [new tag]         jb-mr1_milestone-1 -> jb-mr1_milestone-1

Your identity is: akshatshenoy <akshat.shenoy@gmail.com>
    If you want to change this, please re-run 'repo init' with --config-name

repo has been initialized in /home/akshat/kang

So I have to go to : the /kang folder in my home directory and open the .repo file. Which will look somewhat like the following images :

Important tip ! : While browsing through files in a directory , to view hidden files press control + H and to view the exact directory of the folder which you are browsing through press control + L ..

kkZp8fM.png
    g8YYUqS.png

Opening this file with a text editor will tell you the list of the repos that need to be downloaded by the repo tool :

For AOKP JB-MR1 it will look somewhat like this

Now just a flashback to the original repo init command we had applied earlier
    Code:
    akshat@vaio:~/kang$ repo init -u https://github.com/AOKP/platform_manifest.git -b jb-mr1

When the repo init command is carried out , the repo tool grabs the default.xml / manifest.xml from AOKP's github which is mentioned in the init command :

So open up a web-browser and navigate to that page and you will realize that it is the same manifest.xml that is present in the .repo of the source directory where you have performed a repo init at. :)

Now when we repo sync ,
    the repo tool downloads each repo as a specific project as shown in the picture : (highlighted)

X9LEioA.jpg

So, basically, there are 415 projects to be synced in order to build AOKP that has been defined in the manifest.xml

Once those 415 projects have been downloaded , they will be stored in the .repo and a copy of it will be synced as a work-tree .

This work-tree comprises of the files and folders that appear automagically once the repo sync is done with all 415 projects synced !

It is that part of the source code which you actually work on and make your device specific changes to !

Understanding the manifest :

kngB6Mk.png

1) The remote tag :

syntax :
    Code:
    <remote  name=" any name here "
               fetch="url of the remote website/hosting/server " 
                review="url of the code review of the repo :optional: " />
    This tag just specifies a " remote " location for the repo tool to get your repositories from . This allows you to then associate a particular repository with that remote.

examples of remotes :

Code:
    <remote  name="github"
               fetch="https://github.com/" />

<remote name="bitbucket" fetch="https://bitbucket.org"/>

<remote  name="aokp"
               fetch="https://github.com/"
               review="gerrit.aokp.co" />

This allows you to use multiple code hosting sites , private or public and thereby enabling a trouble-free maintenance of your team's source code.

Now like the remote is specified , you can base you're manifest at a particular remote and define it as your default remote.

The advantages of this will be seen in (2) and (3) during the adding of the project tags to the manifest.xml

The syntax of the default remote is as follows :

Code:

<default revision="any/path/here"
               remote="remote hosting name defined earlier"
               sync-j="x" />

where x is the default number of threads to be used when it is not defined in the repo sync command.

best example of a default revision that is widely used in almost every ROM default.xml is

Code:
      <remote  name="aosp"
               fetch="https://android.googlesource.com/"
               review="https://android-review.googlesource.com/" />

<default revision="refs/tags/android-4.2.2_r1.2"
               remote="aosp"
               sync-j="4" />

2) The base projects

As explained earlier the projects refer to the repositories that have to be fetched by the repo tool.

The 2) tag in the picture above is used to download the repository from your default remote's server.

The basic syntax of it is :

Code:
     <project path=" path/in/work/tree" name="/repo/name/in/your/default" />

Examples :

Code:
    <project path="abi/cpp" name="platform/abi/cpp" /> 
     <project path="bootable/diskinstaller" name="platform/bootable/diskinstaller" />

This downloads those particular repos from the actual android source .

It is advisable to use this particular tag from the remote you will download the most number of repositories from as it cuts down on the effort of editing the manifest.xml

Many ROMs use the AOSP as the base as it is easier for them to keep their source code upto date without wasting their bandwidth on uploading the same repositories to their own gits .​

3) The other projects

This is for the non default remote projects

Their general syntax is :
    Code:
    <project path=" directory in work tree" name="name of the repository in remote" remote="name of remote defined earlier" revision="branch of the repository" />

NOTE : Default revision is master. So if you dont define the revision it is considered as the master branch!

Examples for this are :
    Code:
    <project path="bootable/recovery" name="CyanogenMod/android_bootable_recovery" remote="cm" revision="cm-10.1" />

For this of course the earlier remote "cm" should be mentioned.​

Quick tip !
    Indirectly , the total url path to the repository should be = the fetched URL of the remote + the name of the repo in the project line.

In this case
    Code:
    https://github.com/ && CyanogenMod/android_bootable_recovery 

in total : 

https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_bootable_recovery

For the sole purpose of making the life of a developer easier , CyanogenMod / AOKP and almost all other ROMs named their own repositories as

Code:
     android_path_to_directory_in_work_tree || path_to_directory_in_work_tree

Such as :

oQ6feSN.png
    sV0h26g.png

If you notice the name of the repository : vendor_aokp corresponds to the aokp folder in the source folder in my source.

Thus the name of the repository gives you the path to the same files in your repository.

So much win ! :highfive:​

Maintaining your own projects using manifest.xml

Now that you have understood how the manifest.xml works .. you can even maintain your own projects with the help of a manifest.xml ! it is not necessary it has to be used only for ROMs !

Thats the best bit !

So the next time you have to pull a large number of repositories and maintain them you can create your own default manifest in your own github and add the repos as mentioned above.

Example I use sometimes :

Code:
     <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <manifest>

<remote  name="red-devil"
             fetch="https://github.com/red-devil" /> 

<project path="Cherrypicking/frameworks/base" name="AeonROM/android_frameworks_base" remote="red-devil" revision="master" />
    <project path="Cherrypicking/frameworks/native" name="AeonROM/android_frameworks_native" remote="red-devil" revision="master" />
    <project path="Cherrypicking/frameworks/av" name="AeonROM/android_frameworks_av" remote="red-devil" revision="master" />

</manifest>

Understanding local manifests :

What is the local_manifest.xml ?

A local manifest is like a specific copy of the manifest of a particular ROM that is maintained by YOU the ROM compiler in your own computer.

This local manifest allows you to override some of the projects mentioned in the manifest and hence allows you to delete / add / modify the source code according to your preferences.

Best part about this is that every time you sync your source , even the onces mentioned in the local manifest get updated by themselves.

Hence, you dont need to keep track of all your device trees and kernel sources manually, let the repo tool do the work for you. :cool:

Let us see how this wonderful tool works :

0mywhGC.png
    6RH7LWY.png

1. Go to the folder where you have inited the repo and open the .repo ( press ctrl + H if it is NOT visible ).
    2. Create a folder named local_manifests
    3. Download this View attachment local_manifest.txt and rename it to local_manifest.xml and copy it in the / .repo / local_manifests / directory

NOTE : In some older ROMs where an older version of the repo tool is used the local manifests has to be placed like

pCwVxWN.png

As opposed to a folder named local_manifests as illustrated in the above pictures :)

Functions of the local manifest :

The local manifest looks somewhat similar to the main manifest.xml ... however in this you can even remove projects or add them

> To remove projects the basic syntax is :

Code:
    <remove-project name="name of the project" />

What to remove :

Consider my case

I am building AOKP JB-MR1 for the HTC Explorer.

As a result of that I do not need the various device trees that are officially supported by AOKP.

Such all these :

ZeBfOrT.png

So why do I waste my data and time downloading those ?

I think I should modify the default.xml / manifest.xml .

NO !​

Beware ! If you try to edit the default.xml / manifest.xml the git will tell you to commit these changes as they do NOT match with the online / and the synced version of the default.xml that you have originally initializeed with.

So this means you will either have to commit those changes , push it to github and update the default.xml
    This is not possible unless you are a device maintainer for a ROM and even if you are such drastic changes mean it can affect the other users of the same default.xml . So chances are you can never bring about a change in the default.xml.

So dont even think about editing the default.xml :silly:

OR

You will have to revert back to the original default.xml that you was present in your .repo and create a local_manifest.xml and remove projects / add them .

How do I do that ?

Basic syntax for removing them is :
    Code:
    <remove-project name="name_of_project" />

As shown in the image since I dont need those projects the syntax will be somewhat like :

Code:
     <remove-project name="AOKP/device_samsung_d2att" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_samsung_d2tmo" />

For removing the 1st two projects as shown in the picture above :)

In a similar way , I went on removing projects that were not required... only device trees and saved the local_manifests.xml

Remember when I earlier synced there were 415 projects ?

RGBqVio.png

Look at it now .. slimmed down around 50 projects ! :)

That means a much quicker repo sync for me ! :D

> How to add projects to get it synced :

To add projects just use the code like I explained in the manifests.xml

Basic syntax is :
    Code:

<project path=" directory in work tree" name="name of the repository in remote" remote="name of remote defined earlier" revision="branch 
    of the repository" />

EG :

I wanted to add my own device tree of AOKP and the kernel source for my device in the local manifests cause I am too lazy to manually download them :silly:

Code:
     <project path="device/htc/pico" name="android_device_htc_pico_aokp" remote="red-devil" revision="master"/>
      <project path="kernel/htc/pico" name="android_kernel_htc_pico" remote="red-devil" revision="cm-10.1" />

So ultimately this is the sample local_manifest.xml I used :

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <manifest>
      <remote  name="red-devil"
               fetch="https://github.com/red-devil/" />
      <project path="device/htc/pico" name="android_device_htc_pico_aokp" remote="red-devil" revision="master"/>
      <project path="kernel/htc/pico" name="android_kernel_htc_pico" remote="red-devil" revision="cm-10.1" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_acer_a510" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_asus_tilapia" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_htc_evita" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_htc_s4-common" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_lge_iprj-common" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_lge_mako" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_lge_p930" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_lge_su640" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_lge_vs920" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_motorola_maserati" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_motorola_omap4-common" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_motorola_solana" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_motorola_spyder" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_motorola_targa" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_motorola_umts_spyder" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_samsung_aries-common" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_samsung_d2-common" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_samsung_celox-common" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_samsung_d2att" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_samsung_d2tmo" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_samsung_d2usc" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_samsung_d2vzw" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_samsung_galaxys2-common" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_samsung_hercules" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_samsung_i605" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_samsung_i9100" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_samsung_i9100g" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_samsung_i9300" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_samsung_l900" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_samsung_maguro" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_samsung_manta" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_samsung_msm8660-common" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_samsung_msm8960-common" />
      <remove-project name="CyanogenMod/android_device_samsung_omap4-common" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_samsung_smdk4412-common" />
      <remove-project name="CyanogenMod/android_device_samsung_smdk4412-qcom-common" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_samsung_t0lte" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_samsung_t0lteatt" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_samsung_t0ltetmo" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_samsung_toro" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_samsung_toroplus" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_samsung_tuna" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_samsung_vibrantmtd" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_sony_hayabusa" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_sony_mint" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_sony_odin" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_sony_tsubasa" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_sony_yuga" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_sony_blue-common" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_sony_fusion3-common" />
      <remove-project name="CyanogenMod/android_device_sony_qcom-common" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/device_sony_common" />
      <remove-project name="AOKP/packages_apps_Torch" />
    </manifest>

Result of this : the number of projects being downloaded reduced from 415 to 364 !

vgZR7T3.png

So , I hope you guys understood at least a bit about manifests and how the repo sync process actually works..​

Read on for some tips ! :)
    Some miscellaneous tips :

Tip # 1 : What all can I remove using local manifests ?

Since we just learnt about the local_manifests, I thought I'd just explain this first !

Note : What I refer to as remove from manifest is actually removing using local manifest.

If you don't know what that is yet then read the the 1st post !

The following repos are what you can remove :
    1. Remove official device trees if you are not planning to build for them :

What this includes :

Code:
      android_device_htc_codename 
      android_device_sony_codename 
      android_device_samsung_codename

If you don't own an HTC device you don't need any of their repos ! Same goes with Sony , Samsung and all other manufacturers.

Note: Do NOT delete generic repos like android_device_common etc.

If you own a samsung/sony/htc/blah device DO NOT Remove their common/ generic repos using the local manifest !

Also download a few sample device trees which are similar to your device so that you can reference the way the device trees are while compiling your unofficial ROM.

This process is called " KangBang"-ing. ;)

2. Remove all kernel source repos that you do not need !

Remove all projects named :
      Code:
      android_kernel_oem_codename 
      kernel_oem_codename

or similar !

If you don't plan on building for that device , Why do you need its kernel source code ! :eek:

And most of these sources are HUGE !:crying:

3. Remove all the unnecessary packages that are present in the manifest; for example if your phone does not have flash, there is no point downloading the torch.apk.. so might as well remove that from manifest

This includes many packages like CDMA specific packages for a GSM phone , torch , flashlight packages for a phone that doesnt have flash , unnecessary live wallpapers , and many more stuff.

If your phone's ROM is less you can also remove many packages from syncing itself instead of removing them from the build !

Saves a lot of bandwidth as well as time ! :D

Mostly all these packages have project names similar to :
      Code:
      android_packages_apps_appname
      packages_apps_appname
      android_packages_wallpapers_wallpapername

and so on.

4. Remove all unnecessary vendor trees from the manifest.. Why do you need the blobs for a device you are not building for !!

Remove all device specific vendor packages that include the blobs of the device.

Eg:

Code:
      android_vendor_oem_codename_proprietary

Use your common sense to remove these repos.

Nexus devices use the blobs from TheMuppets.. so if you are not building for a Nexus then remove those for example ! :)

5. Remove all the darwin tool chains, and other darwin packages from the manifest if you are not building from a mac.

Remove all of these toolchains if you are NOT building on a macintosh :

Code:
      <project path="prebuilts/gcc/darwin-x86/arm/arm-eabi-4.6" name="platform/prebuilts/gcc/darwin-x86/arm/arm-eabi-4.6" groups="pdk,darwin,arm" />
      <project path="prebuilts/gcc/darwin-x86/arm/arm-linux-androideabi-4.6" name="platform/prebuilts/gcc/darwin-x86/arm/arm-linux-androideabi-4.6" groups="pdk,darwin,arm" />
      <project path="prebuilts/gcc/darwin-x86/mips/mipsel-linux-android-4.6" name="platform/prebuilts/gcc/darwin-x86/mips/mipsel-linux-android-4.6" groups="pdk,darwin,mips" />
      <project path="prebuilts/gcc/darwin-x86/x86/i686-linux-android-4.6" name="platform/prebuilts/gcc/darwin-x86/x86/i686-linux-android-4.6" groups="pdk,darwin,x86" />

Other packages may vary according to the ROM source you are syncing.
    6. Remove all unnecessary repos that may not be needed.. for eg exynos specific hardware packages if your building for a qcom device!

What I said .. or in some cases like my phone the HTC Explorer, uses display-legacy from Qcom instead of the default one..

So I just remove all the display specific packages that are not needed from manifest.

Caution ! I am not mentioning examples as this may even break your build if you DON'T know what you're doing! So be careful and use your common sense ! :)

Tip # 2 : Use the reference flag before you initialize a repo !

The repo tool is somewhat of a blessing for android ROM developers.

There is a certain flag called as a Reference flag that can be used before you repo sync while initializing a repo.

This flag has a basic syntax as follows :
    Code:
    repo init --reference=~/root/of/already/downloaded/source -u git://url.com/ROM.git -b branch

Consider the following scenario:

I have already downloaded the CyanogenMod 10.1 source mechanically as many guides state :

Code:
    repo init -u git//www.github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b cm-10.1
    repo sync -j4

and this is what I ended up with
    GbGvbgX.png

So , now I have compiled CyanogenMod and I am bored of it. Want to get hands on a new ROM, say AOKP.

So now another 15 GB of bandwidth for this ?!

NO !

:)

I will use the reference flag!

as follows :

tDmr7Hv.png

How does this work ?

What the repo tool does it checks the locally downloaded source and skips downloading that it Symlinks the code from the existing source to the new source.

Cool tool isn't it ? :cool:

This and local_manifests cut down a majority of the download time during repo sync !

Some more help with the Reference flag errors !

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49365049&postcount=112 - By thewisenerd

Tip # 3 : Use CCACHE while compiling​

CCACHE : that is also known as compiler cache is another trusted friend of the ROM / Kernel developers.

It cuts down a lot of the time required for compilation.

How to use ccache :

1) Open a terminal ( cntrl + alt + t )
    2) Enter gedit .bashrc
    3) Add the following code :
    For Jellybean :
    Code:
    export USE_CCACHE=1
    [COLOR="Red"]export CCACHE_DIR=/source-directory/prebuilts/misc/linux-x86/ccache[/COLOR]

and for ICS and older
    Code:
    export USE_CCACHE=1
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"]export CCACHE_DIR=/source-directory/prebuilt/linux-x86/ccache/ccache[/COLOR]

Once that is done just type in this command while you are in youre source directory
    Code:
    prebuilts/misc/linux-x86/ccache/ccache -M 50G

ICS and lower change it accordingly.

50 G ---> 50 GB of ccache..

Ideal values range for 50-100 GB.

Though if you want you can set it to around 40 GB

How does ccache work ?

Well , in short , what it does is that for C and C++ programs it caches the output. One it detects that the program is getting repeated it directly sends out the output and thus reduces the time of compilation.

After using ccache you will really feel the difference in the compilation speeds of your ROMs and kernels :cool: .

Tip # 4 : Use a custom toolchain

Try to use toolchains like linaro toolchains for compiling your ROMs and kernels.

For me personally it made a lot of difference in the performance of the ROM compiled. Nearly a 20-30 % increase in the performance.

Where can I get these toolchains ?

This is the link to download linaro's toolchains. HERE.

Get the latest one from the android section.

How to setup the toolchain?

Just extract the toolchain in a directory similar to the one I have mentioned in the picture

Y3cTUHw.png

and edit these 2 lines in the envsetup.sh

BMW6Isf.png

To compile the inline kernel using a custom toolchain :

Place your toolchain in the ~source~/prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchains/

EnAjhY3.png

and in your device tree edit the BoardConfig.mk for eg :

K9LhPyJ.png

In addition to this, you may need some device specific patches too. That maybe you will be able to find out in your device specific forums.

Tip # 5 Cherry-picking

So here's the scenario.

I have built a ROM and simeltaneously CyanogenMod development is taking place and their developer is fixing some bugs that are present in the device tree of the ROM.

He has implemented some changes that might help me fix stuff in my device tree thereby improving my ROM .

So what do I do ?

Manually apply those commits ?

There is a better way than that. Manually applying commits may result in a few human errors in your source code and thereby may cause some unwanted errors. So why not apply the CyanogenMod dev's commits itself! :silly:

To do this, we use a git feature called cherry-picking.

How to cherry pick commits :

First change your directory to the directory in which you want to apply the commits in.

I will take an example of my phone's device tree.

Code:
    cd device/htc/pico

The best thing is to initialize an empty git and pull your own repo from here.

This allows you to push your changes to your github so that you can track your changes effectively.

If you dont have a repo on your github then push one right away or fork someone else and do :

So I do this :
    Code:
    git init
    git pull git@github.com:red-devil/android_device_htc_pico_aokp.git

Once that is done , I just make sure everything is committed and local device tree matches the device tree online at my github.

then I pull all the commits from the CyanogenMod maintainer's github.

Basic syntax for this is :
    Code:
    git remote add somename git://github.com/user/repo.git

git fetch somename

So what I do is :

Code:
    git remote add cyanogenpico git@github.com:TeamPico/android_device_htc_pico.git
    git fetch cyanogenpico

Now just check using the git log function wheter the last commit shown is the last commit on YOUR repository on github.

In this case the last commit at git@github.com:red-devil/android_device_htc_pico_aokp.git should match the last commit on the git log of my local source.

This just ensures that you are going right at least up till now.

Now start the cherry picking.

The syntax is

Code:
    git cherry-pick <sha-of-commit>

So what I do is :

Code:
    git cherry-pick aa39fd899e321395f3c08c9a7f606ac458bbbd1b

and grab that commit.

If that is done smoothly

The terminal will start a new line automatically

and you can do this :

Code:
    git push git-ssh

in my case

Code:
    git push git@github.com:red-devil/android_device_htc_pico_aokp.git

If something goes wrong.

it may look something like this

Code:
    akshat@vaio:/media/akshat/HD/android/kang/device/htc/pico$ git cherry-pick aa39fd899e321395f3c08c9a7f606ac458bbbd1b
    error: could not apply aa39fd8... cut out debugging
    hint: after resolving the conflicts, mark the corrected paths
    hint: with 'git add <paths>' or 'git rm <paths>'
    hint: and commit the result with 'git commit'

This means that there are some lines in a file that this particular commit is looking for which are not present, thus it shows that the git has added / modified a few lines to apply that commit.

It marks those changes as uncommitted and thus it wont allow you to push those changes.

To make it push-able.. you can do a

Code:
    git status

Check which files have changed.

Then

manually edit and logically correct those changes .

That for you is hacking my friends.

See this image for an example of how a bad head looks like

hTg762K.png

This is how I corrected the changes..

G11h084.png

after this is done.

Code:
    git add .
    git commit -m " name of commit "
    git push url.git

Important Note :

For this case I just had to remove the head and the settings worked after that..

This may NOT be the case with your repo.

Overlapping commits sometimes may break the build .

So you need to logically remove the bad heads and also ensure the package/code isn't damaged during the process !

Check out Commits from ROMs like PAC , RootBox , ReVolt etc to know how exactly to cherry-pick stuff and take reference from them to make your code work.

Still got some doubts ?

Ask on the thread, not via pm. This ensures everyone is cleared of the doubt.

Got a compilation error ?​

Finally the last bit

This guide had featured on the portal : Article : http://www.xda-developers.com/android/guide-on-using-the-repo-tool/[/COLOR]
    This guide has also been mentioned in the official Omni Wiki : http://docs.omnirom.org/Setting_Up_A_Compile_Environment

The Credits

I would like to thank @speed_bot and @legen_dary , @Nihar.G among others who solved cleared my doubts whenever I asked them anything silly.

You guys for reading this whole piece and xda-developers for the platform.

Always remain a newbie and NOT a noob.
    Know the difference.
    <reserved for the future>
    Hi, a quick tip

In case you referenced, and synced a repo, and *unfortunately* moved the repo, and repo starts downloading gigs of data again :mad: :mad: :mad:

NVM, you just need to make sure that the "alternates" file found in <project-name>.git/objects/info/alternates, should point to the correct repo.

Example, I had "~/source/cyanogenmod-11.0", and moved it to "~/works/cyanogenmod-11.0"

My alternates file (in all the "alternates" in the projects folder found within .repo folder) read this:

Code:
    /home/user/source/cyanogenmod-11.0/.repo/projects/art.git/objects

So, I just figured out that I needed to change the /source/cyanogenmod-11.0 to /works/cyanogenmod-11.0 :D

Yes, I ain't stupid to be replacing all the files, so, I just did:

Code:
    cd .repo/projects
    find ./ -type f -exec sed -i 's/\/source\/cyanogenmod-11.0\//\/works\/cyanogenmod-11.0\//g' {} \;

This is a sed command, /source/cyanogenmod-11.0 found in text with /works/cyanogenmod-11.0.

Worked pretty well, synced beanstalk sources.

Just posting this here, in case this helps someone :angel:

P.S. You *might* run into a "error: <so-and-so> does not point to a valid object!", just ignore it. Its just telling that you didn't sync those branches (ofc, you sync only specifc branches, so rest are missing) :silly:
    no mention of using the groups switch?
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2496326

we should ALL be using more use of group tags in the manifest. In Jean-Baptiste's (you know, Google's own lead project manager) example he trimmed down to from 8.5GB to 3.6GB with some simple group switches to tailor for his build environment and target

I wish you would make a video. I have the attention span of a gnat :p

Thank you for writing this all out, though. I'm still trying to figure out how these projects come together. Maybe the groups thing will help you as well. I'll keep this thread subscribed so I can document anything I come up with.