made by Wacom where you can see what you are drawing
on the tablet and on the pc screen. I know you could
technically use a remote desktop program but that's awfully
laggy. I was hoping there may be a way to use the usb cable
to plug up the tablet to the computer and simply use it as a
editable surface to draw on .

If this is obvious, I 'm sorry. I have just been thinking about
this a lot as I currently own a Bamboo Fun tablet as well but
I' d like to see more detail on the tablet itself.

I tried iDisplay and it 's too laggy. A usb method would
be optimal and I figured since I'm rooted someone may
have figured something out ...
Also, I have USB hosting active on the tablet if thats
necessary.

I know it has come up before (about 6 months ago from my searches) and was wondering if anything has happened at all. I would prefer that I have the option of extending my screen (for entertainment) or duplicating it (for art work)

gnosis18

Mar 12, 2011
Me too

I wish I was bringing you an answers but instead, I'm asking the same question. Every few weeks I scour the web for an alternative to iDisplay, specifically something that is wired for speed. I travel over half the year and I'm in the habit of lugging a small monitor with me so I can work efficiently. I know Toshiba has a portable usb monitor...isn't there a way to make our tablet's function this way as well?

If there is anything out there to try/buy or support? I'm in. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Reactions: gregpxc

gregpxc

Aug 25, 2011
Thanks for putting your name on the list! I have been looking everywhere for something that could work with no luck. It doesn't seem like it should be hard to tap into the screen of a tablet through usb. Especially seeing as we have the drivers and what not.

Tapping into the monitor would be nice but to take it a step further, integration would be optimal. Such as the integration of the two touchscreens in the acer notebook. Your android device could be used as a virtual navigation device, you could use it to hold windows or play media, or you could even use it in art related programs as a drawing tablet.

It seems like there should be a bigger demand for this. I'm surprised there isn't

Trooper_Max

Jan 27, 2011
I've been interested in developing stuff like this for a while now, but unfortunately, I just haven't found the time to devote to such Android development.

For this to work, your PC would be acting as the USB host. The tablet would still just be a USB device connected to your PC like it always is (you would not be using your tablet as a hosting device for this). The PC would need the proper driver software (which, as noted, already exists). But software on the tablet would also have to advertise and implement additional usb profiles/protocols in order to inform the host that it has additional USB monitor/touchscreen functionality. This is the part that to my knowledge, does not yet exist. (if it does, let me know, ya'll may have done more research on this than I have)

In other words, yeah, there are drivers for a PC that know how to talk to a usb monitor/touchscreen. But on the other end there needs to be software that knows how to act as a usb monitor/touchscreen and fulfill the other half of that conversation. When you buy a usb monitor/touchscreen from Wacom or Toshiba, they're providing a device which already knows how to act and talk as a usb monitor/touchscreen. But that software is running on their device, so unless they've made some libraries available somewhere or there are some standard libraries available somewhere for this, it isn't as easy as one might think.

This might make more sense if you consider a simpler device like a usb keyboard. Your PC knows how to receive keystrokes from a usb keyboard because it has the appropriate driver software. However, if you wanted your tablet to act as a usb keyboard, you would need software on the tablet that knows how to send keystrokes over USB using the standard usb protocols/profiles.

Hope that makes sense.

~Troop

Reactions: sodainthepagoda

SithLord2K

Jan 17, 2011
Niagara Falls
WM8505 Generic Chinese Android Tablet

CPU VIA WM8505 400MHZ ARM926EJ-S
Memory DDR2 128MB
HDD 2GB

Screen Size 7 inch TFT High Clear DigitalScreen
Resolution 800*480; 262,114 colors

It's running a modded Android 1.6. I'm just wonderign if anyone knows if it's possible to use this as a USB monitor. Or even remove the screen to mod it to be used as a USB monitor. I don't care if it's touchscreen or not.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Me too

I wish I was bringing you an answers but instead, I'm asking the same question. Every few weeks I scour the web for an alternative to iDisplay, specifically something that is wired for speed. I travel over half the year and I'm in the habit of lugging a small monitor with me so I can work efficiently. I know Toshiba has a portable usb monitor...isn't there a way to make our tablet's function this way as well?

If there is anything out there to try/buy or support? I'm in. Any guidance would be appreciated.
    I've been interested in developing stuff like this for a while now, but unfortunately, I just haven't found the time to devote to such Android development.

For this to work, your PC would be acting as the USB host. The tablet would still just be a USB device connected to your PC like it always is (you would not be using your tablet as a hosting device for this). The PC would need the proper driver software (which, as noted, already exists). But software on the tablet would also have to advertise and implement additional usb profiles/protocols in order to inform the host that it has additional USB monitor/touchscreen functionality. This is the part that to my knowledge, does not yet exist. (if it does, let me know, ya'll may have done more research on this than I have)

In other words, yeah, there are drivers for a PC that know how to talk to a usb monitor/touchscreen. But on the other end there needs to be software that knows how to act as a usb monitor/touchscreen and fulfill the other half of that conversation. When you buy a usb monitor/touchscreen from Wacom or Toshiba, they're providing a device which already knows how to act and talk as a usb monitor/touchscreen. But that software is running on their device, so unless they've made some libraries available somewhere or there are some standard libraries available somewhere for this, it isn't as easy as one might think.

This might make more sense if you consider a simpler device like a usb keyboard. Your PC knows how to receive keystrokes from a usb keyboard because it has the appropriate driver software. However, if you wanted your tablet to act as a usb keyboard, you would need software on the tablet that knows how to send keystrokes over USB using the standard usb protocols/profiles.

Hope that makes sense.

~Troop