[Q] I think i bought a bricked X8 - help!

Search This thread

madz78

Aug 6, 2009
Thanks BJ,

Just PM Blagus with my issue, maybe he can help a little more.

One question for you, which soft you used to unlock boot loader and where can i check if my phone is boot unlockable? can you point me to that thread?

Thanks.

B

B.Jay

One question for you, which soft you used to unlock boot loader and where can i check if my phone is boot unlockable? can you point me to that thread?

Boot loader check (s1tool) and bootloader unlock (the msm7227 package) are out of the "[EASIEST GUIDE] How to unlocking bootloader" thread - I think you know that thread already.

The "suitable for being unlocked" refers to two facts:

1. As written in the easy unlocking thread ...

[...]
D) Look For Line "XXXX SIMLOCK CERTIFICATE"
[...]
B) if XXXX is "NOT RECOGNIZED" then sorry, it can't be unlocked.

My phone came up with the "simlock certificate not found" message ... hence I had to use msm7227_Setool2.cmd

2. As written in various "hard bricked" threads ...

Xperia X8/W8 having a manufacturing date of 11W29 and newer (11W30, 11W31, 11W32, 11W33, ...) are candidates for a hard brick (as in "really dead") upon unlocking the bootloader. This relates to a change in the actual hardware of these phones (newer chip revisions that have the security hole the boot loader unlock uses effectively closed).

X8/W8 phones prior to 11W29 (11W28, 11W27, 11W26, ...) are considered safe, though as you never can be sure some risk will always be involved.

As a reference hit up tohno's "SUPER BRICK" thread or look into the "Warning ahead of bootloader unlocking" thread if you want to face the doom of unfortunate souls who hard bricked their phone because it was affected by the aforementioned problem.

madz78

Aug 6, 2009
My phone is 11W19, so i assume is unlockable.

That was the exact same guide i followed, i got "semc simlock certificate" in s1tool, but when i run the app, it hangs on:
process requires standard 2.x android firmware.
Press any key to continue . . .
Getting ROOT rights.
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *

And i can't get passed this point. sometimes i can't even get past getting root rights. the phone connects in flash mode a few seconds later, disconnects from flash and turns itself on. *eiiisshhh*

Thanks.

B

B.Jay

My phone is 11W19, so i assume is unlockable.

Yes, 11W19 should be safe for being boot loader unlocked (please note the "should" as there's always headroom for error or other surprises).

That was the exact same guide i followed, i got "semc simlock certificate" in s1tool, but when i run the app, it hangs on:

And i can't get passed this point. sometimes i can't even get past getting root rights. the phone connects in flash mode a few seconds later, disconnects from flash and turns itself on. *eiiisshhh*

Just to make sure you're doing things right...

- You're running the vanilla stock ROM (2.1.1.A.0.0 or 2.1.1.C.0.0 with baseband 015)?
(just because I unlocked with a custom ROM being flashed doesn't mean you should follow this bad example of plain ignorance)

- The ROM is rooted and xRecovery, therefore chargemon and busybox, is installed?

s1tool requires you to connect the phone in Flash Mode to read out the SIMLOCK certificate in order to determine the status (unlockable Vs. not unlockable). This also goes for re-checking the boot loader status (the lowercase "r") after you ran the unlock to make sure it worked.

The actual unlock process requires you to connect the phone in USB-Debugging mode (turn on, boot up, go to Settings -> Applications -> Development and enable "USB-Debugging"). The actual unlock .cmd file you have to start, in your case msm7227_semc.cmd as you got SEMC SIMLOCK CERTIFICATE, won't do anything when you connect the phone in Flash Mode!

Now don't tell me you simply messed up connecting the phone in the right mode ...

EDIT: IMPORTANT!
If you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7 ... make SURE you are executing the .cmd file in a ADMINISTRATIVE Command Prompt! It won't work without Admin powers. Also, temporarily disable your Virii Scanner (especially avast! could be a nuisance here)!

Last edited:

madz78

Aug 6, 2009
Hi,

Problem solved! :) Went to my local mobile parts/unlocking store and risked 10€ in unlocking the phone via SETool method. It's working perfectly! Yupiiiiii!

BJ, thanx for all your help, you've been great! If you ever come to Portugal and need a place to stay, or just someone to buy you a beer, please contact me. I'll be glad to do it.

Cheers!

B

B.Jay

Problem solved! :) Went to my local mobile parts/unlocking store and risked 10€ in unlocking the phone via SETool method. It's working perfectly! Yupiiiiii!

woot! *high fives*
Glad it came to happy end for you.

BJ, thanx for all your help, you've been great! If you ever come to Portugal and need a place to stay, or just someone to buy you a beer, please contact me. I'll be glad to do it.

I'll keep that in mind if I happen to visit Portugal with my family and need someone to have a beer with while the girls are shopping. ;)