[KERNEL] HO!NO! Palace...

Search This thread

drumist

Aug 6, 2010
So I was wondering. If I make a backup with this kernel and CM9 set to (set this clock speed on boot), can I restore the boot sector from the backup and get back to the kernel with the clock speed that I know works? Currently I'm slowly incrementing the clock speed and running benchmarks to test stability, but having to reflash everything every time it starts bootlooping is getting frustrating.

I would guess that the setting that controls the clock speed on boot is saved on the data partition. The boot and system partitions are typically not modified directly while the phone is booted up.

Make a Nandroid backup before doing your testing. Once you get to a clock speed that causes problems, restore only the data partition of your Nandroid backup (select "advanced restore" when restoring the backup), and you should be good to go.

If that doesn't work, then just restore the whole Nandroid backup.

Last edited:

hereric

Oct 27, 2010
I would guess that the setting that controls the clock speed on boot is saved on the data partition. The boot and system partitions are typically not modified directly while the phone is booted up.

Make a Nandroid backup before doing your testing. Once you get to a clock speed that causes problems, restore only the data partition of your Nandroid backup (select "advanced restore" when restoring the backup), and you should be good to go.

If that doesn't work, then just restore the whole Nandroid backup.

It seems to save the cpu settings in the boot partition, since I was having success restoring only that and getting back to my underclocked value.

dnorthington

Mar 23, 2011
Atlanta, GA
After just a few minutes, this seems pretty snappy with the CM9 kernel. HoNo, what did you do other than setting OC/UV?

Sent from my LG-P930 using XDA

Dashaiva

Oct 10, 2010
FWIW, this kernel works great with the Telus p935. Responsiveness and battery life are both improved.

hereric

Oct 27, 2010
So wierd thing about this kernel.

I have run stress tests and benchmarks with the chip at 1.62GHz with no problem.

When i reset the device, it will bootloop unless i clear cache and davlik cache.

Again, once I'm in android, it is quite stable.

kumayam

Jan 20, 2008
@ho!no!
I'm unable to download the cm9 kernel...do u have a mirror?

Edit:nevermind, saw link in previous post

Sent from my LG Nitro CM9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

scott0

Dec 9, 2011
[q] does the kernel handle the # of images in the battery icon?

reason i ask is after installing this badass ho!ho! kernel my 1% battery icon is no longer able to handle 1% increments. i don't recall if i had messed around with other settings at the time so just trying to isolate.

:)

dnorthington

Mar 23, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I'm wondering about your experience with this CM9 kernel on newer nightlies. I've been testing and it seems faster with some older nightlies, but about the same with newer ones. And battery drains faster for me. I'm wondering if there have been enough changes in the nightlies to affect the performance of HoNo's kernel.

rsalan

Jan 11, 2012
Boston
I'm wondering about your experience with this CM9 kernel on newer nightlies. I've been testing and it seems faster with some older nightlies, but about the same with newer ones. And battery drains faster for me. I'm wondering if there have been enough changes in the nightlies to affect the performance of HoNo's kernel.

Yeah.. my battery life hasn't been as good as when I first installed the kernal back in the 5/15 nightly. I have brought my clocks back to stock to test. That's probably the reason why HO!NO! wanted to wait for a release candidate before working on a custom kernal..

Top Liked Posts