FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GSM/CDMA] RAZR Utility ---- OUTDATED. DO NOT USE.

2,298 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,490

By mattlgroff, Inactive Recognized Developer on 8th February 2012, 09:47 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th February 2012, 11:04 AM |#41  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag San Diego

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhumper

hey guys, nice tool matt! (bet you get that a lot!)....quick question. I rooted my brothers phone and dumped all his razr bloatware, got him on setCPU, bootstrapped him, and then backed him up. He is not adept at this stuff at all...in fact all he wanted was all the bloatware gone...

So my question for yall...he recently just got a request for the OTA update that I guess just went out...of course his dumbass hit update without consulting me, but thank goodness it didnt allow the update....

So to make a long story longer....can I use this tool to add voodoo rootkeeper to his phone...and then when I do that will he be able to update to the latest update? He is on stock firmware, rooted, but debloated...I heard that because he is debloated it might never take the OTA...what do you guys think? Can I use this tool to get around that? Any suggestions? I dont want to throw the thread on too much of a tangent so if I am off topic can someone please PM me instead? Thanks Razr owners!

The thing with the OTA patcher is it mainly checks 2 things:
  1. Pre-loaded Bloat in the /preinstall/ folder
  2. Default .apk and .odex files are intact

If you have those things you can take the OTA. OTA rootkeeper will let you keep root if you temp. unroot before any OTA update and restore it after, but it won't help you if you cannot update first.

My suggestion: Use my utility to go down to 6.11.748 stock unrooted. Update to 6.12.173 normally. Root with my utility and install bootstrap. Make a backup. When times comes for the next OTA use boostrap to restore any bloat you may have removed. OTA rootkeeper will also be useful.

Have a nice day!

14th February 2012, 01:24 PM |#42  
Thanks Meter: 41

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlgroff

The thing with the OTA patcher is it mainly checks 2 things:

1. Pre-loaded Bloat in the /preinstall/ folder
  2. Default .apk and .odex files are intact

If you have those things you can take the OTA. OTA rootkeeper will let you keep root if you temp. unroot before any OTA update and restore it after, but it won't help you if you cannot update first.

My suggestion: Use my utility to go down to 6.11.748 stock unrooted. Update to 6.12.173 normally. Root with my utility and install bootstrap. Make a backup. When times comes for the next OTA use boostrap to restore any bloat you may have removed. OTA rootkeeper will also be useful.

Have a nice day!

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the advice! One follow up. I actually backed up all the bloat before removing (just in case of unforeseen problems - like this!). So if I restore all the backed-up bloatware through TBu do you think I can skip the going down to 6.11.748? I already rooted and bootstrapped his phone, so would I be able to restore those bloatware files, use your utility to set up the ota rootkeeper, temp unroot, update, then restore the root - then of course remove all the bloat again ;) What do you think?
15th February 2012, 09:41 AM |#43  
Flag San Diego

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhumper

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the advice! One follow up. I actually backed up all the bloat before removing (just in case of unforeseen problems - like this!). So if I restore all the backed-up bloatware through TBu do you think I can skip the going down to 6.11.748? I already rooted and bootstrapped his phone, so would I be able to restore those bloatware files, use your utility to set up the ota rootkeeper, temp unroot, update, then restore the root - then of course remove all the bloat again ;) What do you think?

You can try anything you like
I just always recommend a complete fastboot whenever possible because it usually catches every single software issue you may have with updating. If your bloat and /preinstall/ are intact the update should work.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to mattlgroff For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mattlgroff Ad-Free
15th February 2012, 05:31 PM |#44  
Thanks Meter: 135

More
system safe
Utility worked great but when making my Nan backup I noticed that it says system safe disabled. Should i enable it now?
Search revealed no answer.
thanks
16th February 2012, 12:50 AM |#45  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Disregard. Used the GMS version. Whatever you do, make sure you use the correct file!!!!!!!
16th February 2012, 01:24 AM |#46  
Thanks Meter: 41

More
Quote:

You can try anything you like
I just always recommend a complete fastboot whenever possible because it usually catches every single software issue you may have with updating. If your bloat and /preinstall/ are intact the update should work.

Good luck!

Thank you sir!
16th February 2012, 07:53 AM |#47  
Flag San Diego

Donate to Me
More
Updated OP with CDMA XT912's 1.31 Version!
16th February 2012, 11:51 PM |#48  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
On another thread you directed me to your full version for Mac/Linux. I'm having a problem getting it to work on my mac. This is where it hangs up:

[*] Press enter to restore your phone to stock (6.11.744)...
[*]
xt912razrutilitymaclinux.sh: line 96: ./files/fastboot: Permission denied

Hopefully you can help me get the maclinux version working.
17th February 2012, 01:56 AM |#49  
Flag San Diego

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoose

On another thread you directed me to your full version for Mac/Linux. I'm having a problem getting it to work on my mac. This is where it hangs up:

[*] Press enter to restore your phone to stock (6.11.744)...
[*]
xt912razrutilitymaclinux.sh: line 96: ./files/fastboot: Permission denied

Hopefully you can help me get the maclinux version working.

Permission denied...sounds like you are going to have to get root access. Strange, others doing this didn't have to. You can see the commands inside the "___.sh" file. Do those manually ("cd to the folder first") and type sudo before them all.
17th February 2012, 02:42 AM |#50  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:

Permission denied...sounds like you are going to have to get root access. Strange, others doing this didn't have to. You can see the commands inside the "___.sh" file. Do those manually ("cd to the folder first") and type sudo before them all.

I know, my Razr seems to have it's own unique set of problems. Like I posted earlier, when it updated to 2.3.6, Superuser froze on my phone and I can't uninstall it. It's prevented me from rooting using "motofail". If I have to root before I can use your utility, I guess I'm screwed.

I can try running the individual files one at a time from your utility, but I will need an order to run them in.

Thanks for the help. If we get my Razr back to where it should be, I will be sure to hit the "Thanks" button many times and donate.
17th February 2012, 10:45 AM |#51  
Flag San Diego

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoose

I know, my Razr seems to have it's own unique set of problems. Like I posted earlier, when it updated to 2.3.6, Superuser froze on my phone and I can't uninstall it. It's prevented me from rooting using "motofail". If I have to root before I can use your utility, I guess I'm screwed.

I can try running the individual files one at a time from your utility, but I will need an order to run them in.

Thanks for the help. If we get my Razr back to where it should be, I will be sure to hit the "Thanks" button many times and donate.

Order will be in the .sh file, for the .748 one it should be....

(Taken directly from my files folder if you "cd" to my utility folder.)
files\moto-fastboot flash logo.bin files\logo.bin
files\moto-fastboot flash ebr files\ebr
files\moto-fastboot flash mbr files\mbr
files\moto-fastboot flash devtree files\device_tree.bin
files\moto-fastboot flash system files\system.img
files\moto-fastboot flash boot files\boot.img
files\moto-fastboot flash recovery files\recovery.img
files\moto-fastboot flash cdrom files\cdrom
files\moto-fastboot flash preinstall files\preinstall.img
files\moto-fastboot flash webtop files\grfs.img
files\moto-fastboot flash radio files\radio.img
files\moto-fastboot.exe reboot

EDIT: Also added 1.41 which has the new fastboot files.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)