Stupid Questions Thread- No Question too stupid! I promise!

Do you think this thread is helping with unneeded threads from popping up?

• Yes! less threads asking common or stupid stuff

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • No. but Like the idea

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • NO! Hate everything about this thread!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

g33kos

Jan 21, 2012
I have i747M. And yes, I was flashing via Odin. Now i have this message: "firmware upgrade encountered an issue. please select recovery mode in kies & try again"
Should i do it with kies, or to follow your instructions? I don't understand why the bootloader was old and gave me this issue since the phone works fine untill i flashed TWRP? I thought the culprit is TWRP.

Lt1streconbn

Nov 10, 2013
St. Thomas, Virgin Islands
Hi guys, I'm having my sister S3 (Rogers) to fix. I have no experience with Samsung, because I'm a Nexus user. To cut the long story short, the phone was rooted when she bought it. After factory reset, root checker indicate that root isn't properly installed and supersu doesn't work and I cannot uninstall it. Also I got a security message for unauthorized access that was blocked, which I guess is from knox. When I tap the knox icon, it says that I have to download and install the app and this confused me. I used Terminal emulator fo android to disable knox and i got a message that this app isn't found. My questions:
1- How can I remove supersu?
2-If supersu cannot be removed, should I flash the stock rom again or maybe a custom rom without disabling knox?
Thank you
Just flash a nandroid in recovery before the issue began

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Lt1streconbn

Nov 10, 2013
I rooted the phone, then i flashed TWRP via odin. After that i did try to get into recovery using the buttons combination and didn't work, just showing for short time Samsung logo and some blue text in the upper left corner. So i did that using the command prompt (adb reboot recovery) and shows the same thing but now, the phone cannot be reboot to system. Is this soft bricked? If i try to boot it into download mode, the phone just buzz every 4-5 seconds, but doesn't start.
LE: I got into download mode, but when i try to flash the stock image via odin, fails
Firmware update start..
sbl2.mbn
NAND Write Start!!
sbl3.mbn
aboot.mbn
FAIL! (Auth)
Are you sure you have the correct firmware? Also, if the device has a 4.4+ bootloader that was updated while she had the device active with Rogers, you'll need a Kk ROM instead of JB. That would have been in the OTA i 'think', but dont hold me to that. I wish you could check. Flash a stock firmware 4.4.x+ to the device amd see if iy recovers it. Added info from you would greatly help here. Go to terminal emulator, free on market, and type in 'su' without the quotes, then 'getpeop'

Okay scratch the last part since you pave Odin mode only. You're device in SGH-I747M.... Correct?

Last edited:
Reactions: g33kos

g33kos

Jan 21, 2012
Yes, i'm sure about firmware. It was 4.3 and then i got update to 4.4.2 via OTA. The phone works. Then, I root it and the phone has no problem. The problem appears after flashing custom recovery TWRP. So now, I'm enable to get into recovery mode, only into download mode. The terminal emulator has to be used on the phone and since I cannot boot the phone i can't do it

Lt1streconbn

Nov 10, 2013
Yes, i'm sure about firmware. It was 4.3 and then i got update to 4.4.2 via OTA. The phone works. Then, I root it and the phone has no problem. The problem appears after flashing custom recovery TWRP. So now, I'm enable to get into recovery mode, only into download mode. The terminal emulator has to be used on the phone and since I cannot boot the phone i can't do it
TWRP? Were you running Cyanogenmod at the time?

Lt1streconbn

Nov 10, 2013
TWRP? Were you running Cyanogenmod at the time?

Wait a sec... You're stuck with 4.4+ ROMs I believe... As I said before. Download a totally stock nonrooted 4.4.x firmware, and you should recover the device. You u may have to flash it several times.

---------- Post added 30-07-2015 at 12:04 AM ---------- Previous post was 29-07-2015 at 11:59 PM ----------

No, no cyanogen. It was stock firmware.
Read previous post... That should fix device. I always watch this thread, and I'll use the amazing and magical 'search forums' button ;) While downlanding new firmware find Philz Touch Recovery... Its an enhanced version of CWM and will work on any ROM. Use it to root device, and you'll be set. I'm pretty sure the new firmware will recover the S3 for you. If this helps, please hit the thanks button :)

---------- Post added at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

It is failing because your are flashing a ROM with an older bootloader. You have the i747?

Are you flashing via Odin? If you are, try this: open Odin, uncheck everything in Odin except f.reset time, flash TWRP, when you see the word Reset in the status window, remove USB cable, remove battery, replace battery, use button combo to get into TWRP.
Hes 747M, Rogers, he tried to go 4.4 to 4.3.... With stock ROMS. Only other option is he has the wrong or a corrupted .img for twrp. I use safestrap on this one, but never twrp. My fix should resolve the issue either way I think.

g33kos

Jan 21, 2012
Wait a sec... You're stuck with 4.4+ ROMs I believe... As I said before. Download a totally stock nonrooted 4.4.x firmware, and you should recover the device. You u may have to flash it several times.

---------- Post added 30-07-2015 at 12:04 AM ---------- Previous post was 29-07-2015 at 11:59 PM ----------

Read previous post... That should fix device. I always watch this thread, and I'll use the amazing and magical 'search forums' button ;) While downlanding new firmware find Philz Touch Recovery... Its an enhanced version of CWM and will work on any ROM. Use it to root device, and you'll be set. I'm pretty sure the new firmware will recover the S3 for you. If this helps, please hit the thanks button :)

Are you sure you have the correct firmware? Also, if the device has a 4.4+ bootloader that was updated while she had the device active with Rogers, you'll need a Kk ROM instead of JB. That would have been in the OTA i 'think', but dont hold me to that. I wish you could check. Flash a stock firmware 4.4.x+ to the device amd see if iy recovers it. Added info from you would greatly help here. Go to terminal emulator, free on market, and type in 'su' without the quotes, then 'getpeop'

Okay scratch the last part since you pave Odin mode only. You're device in SGH-I747M.... Correct?

Yes, you are right< I forgot that it is a new ROM, and I was trying and trying to flash the old 4.3. I'm checking the roms on sammobile and I realize that I'm running into another problem - which Canada (Rogers) should I download?

Lt1streconbn

Nov 10, 2013
I have i747M. And yes, I was flashing via Odin. Now i have this message: "firmware upgrade encountered an issue. please select recovery mode in kies & try again"
Should i do it with kies, or to follow your instructions? I don't understand why the bootloader was old and gave me this issue since the phone works fine untill i flashed TWRP? I thought the culprit is TWRP.
Oh boy... You didn't read my post. Okay, GET 4.4 FIRMWARE NOW. Try to get the device to show on Odin. It can be recovered, but its a real pain now honestly and its not a 100% shot here. First download 4.4 firmware and try to get it to show on Odin. Reply when done, and I'll find my list that has possible recovery of device methods. Wrong firmware version... I wish you had read in time.

Edit: You possibly overwrote bootloader partition. I'm not sure, but its in my old notes. I had AT&T SGH-I747. Very similar, but very different also. If I find a forum that has a step by step way to recover device I'll share the link.

Last edited:

Lt1streconbn

Nov 10, 2013
Yes, you are right< I forgot that it is a new ROM, and I was trying and trying to flash the old 4.3. I'm checking the roms on sammobile and I realize that I'm running into another problem - which Canada (Rogers) should I download?
Amy that are 4.4+, I'd go with the oldest KitKat stock ROM. Best chance for recovery, since you've injected 4.3 files into the device. If you get it on Odin, you got a chance. No promises. My last fix was 100%... This one is not. Its down to getting the 4.4 ROM into the device.

g33kos

Jan 21, 2012
Make sure this is an official firmware from Rogers... 'Stock ROM'. Not a ROM created and posted on xda by a dev. You need original firmware to have amy chance to recover

It is from sammobile and it takes 1 hour :(
But good you mention that :good: because I was thinking earlyer why not to flash a custom rom instead of stock one.

Lt1streconbn

Nov 10, 2013
OK :) is the device connected to PC and showing up on Odin currently? If it is DO NOT DETATCH IT! Its really tough to get them to show up in this state. You may need to flash it several times to get it to work. You need recovery partition to work, and then FLASH Philz recovery and AFTER PHILZ IS SUCCESSFULLY FLASHED USE IT TO flash a custom ROM with a 4.4+ kernel... You're set then, but it might be a bumpy road or may not be able to get recovery to flash and boot. EDIT: Caps are an edit. Be 100% certain Philz Recovery is the right one for 747M, same with ROM and be 100% certain its a 4.4+ KitKat Kernel, at yjs point obviously a custom ROM is okay. As long as that kernel, modded or not, is a 4.4+ version. I added these things because I made a lot of assumptions to your abilities and knowledge of this. I hope this clarifies things. If you need help, there are tons a great devs and users here that'll do their best, but use the search button. If you had, youd have never flashed that ROM :\

Last edited:

g33kos

Jan 21, 2012
Yes, I think so., because i see the message "added". and the ID COM window from left upper corner is blue

---------- Post added at 02:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 AM ----------

You need recovery partition to work, and then install Philz recovery and flash a custom ROM with a 4.4+ kernel... You're set then, but it might be a bumpy road or may not be able to get recovery to flash and boot.

So, if the recovery partition is broken, since is not part of android os, can be re-write when i flash the os, or separately? What i mean is recovery coming with os in the same package?
And another question - my problems start from a corrupted custom recovery or maybe not compatible (and after that I was doing the stupid things with flashing wrong rom)?

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Flashing the stock Rogers ROM via Odin will flash the stock recovery to your phone.

If your phone still doesn't boot, boot into stock recovery, do a factory wipe/reset, and you should be good to go.

g33kos

Jan 21, 2012
:fingers-crossed:eek:K guys, download will be done in a minute, I'll be back after flashing

---------- Post added at 03:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 AM ----------

@Lt1streconbn and @audit13, thank you for helping me out. It is 5 am, I'm going to sleep, but I can sleep peacefully because of you.
The phone is back and perhaps tomorrow i'll start over with new room and philz, so stay tuned in case disaster strikes:D
Thank you thousand times!:good:

Lt1streconbn

Nov 10, 2013
:fingers-crossed:eek:K guys, download will be done in a minute, I'll be back after flashing

---------- Post added at 03:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 AM ----------

@Lt1streconbn and @audit13, thank you for helping me out. It is 5 am, I'm going to sleep, but I can sleep peacefully because of you.
The phone is back and perhaps tomorrow i'll start over with new room and philz, so stay tuned in case disaster strikes:D
Thank you thousand times!:good:
Hey man... That's what's this place is all about. I'm glad you were able to recover the device. Hit that thanks button for me is all i ask :) and be more careful in the future. If unsure on a custom ROM, ask a question in that thread. Its better than a softbrick or potential hardbrick. Good Night!

Edit: In Philz, there is an option to clean up for flashing a new ROM thru recovery. AFTER YOUVE CONFIRMED YOU HAVE A COMPATIBLE ROM ON YOUR SD CARD ALONG WITH A NANDROID BACK JUST IN CASE, hit that option. It formats everything you need with one touch. Ya just can't beat that! Then you're set to flash. Be sure you make a backup... that's the biggest mistake ppl make. Being in too big of a hurry. Use that search button, and you'll find tons of ppl that'll help. Luckily you got me, and I knew what to do :) Good Job!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is for those who have what they may feel is a stupid or simple question. Please read through the thread and use the search first. I know Google doesn't always like to make it easy to find answers, so lets work together to give answers where we can. And please remember you will be reported for flaming others.

Remember, the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.

Thanks goes to lumin30 for coming up with this idea. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1494423
    Hi.

What do batteries run on?

Also, if I melt some dry ice, can I liquid cool my phone without it getting wet?
    have to answ
    Theres a little pink bunny beating on a big bass drum. The faster he beats the more electricity your battery puts out. When he gets tired you plug your phone up so he can rest. You know he's well rested when you see 100%. Then he does it all over again. Amazing. Someone else will have to answer your dry ice question. dry ice floats
    have to answ
    Theres a little pink bunny beating on a big bass drum. The faster he beats the more electricity your battery puts out. When he gets tired you plug your phone up so he can rest. You know he's well rested when you see 100%. Then he does it all over again. Amazing.

Amazing times we live in with miniature pink robot bunnies keeping our phones running! Wish my eyes were smaller so I could see inside of the battery and say "HI BUNNAY! THANKYOU!" :)

Someone else will have to answer your dry ice question. dry ice floats

It floats?! Are you thinking what I'm thinking? If we strap some ice to our phone and hold on tight we can float up to the cottoncandy clouds and eat all we want! Yum
    Is there a way to mute/remove the freaking annoying chime/bell sound that the dialer makes when connecting the the line when dialing a number ?
    open dialer, hit menu, settings/call alert/call status tones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Hi.

What do batteries run on?

Also, if I melt some dry ice, can I liquid cool my phone without it getting wet?