Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 Google Play Edition

Search This thread

kronikwisdom

Aug 29, 2007
This tablet line has really sparked my interest but there are almost no roms (only cm11 that I see) and I'd like a nexus experience with physical buttons.

How long before we get some news on the GPE tab pro? Seems like that is what's holding back rom development for this line, correct?

moz2k12

Nov 16, 2012
Vienna
This tablet line has really sparked my interest but there are almost no roms (only cm11 that I see) and I'd like a nexus experience with physical buttons.

How long before we get some news on the GPE tab pro? Seems like that is what's holding back rom development for this line, correct?

It's out for a very short range, thats why there are no roms so far. I dont think it will get a Play Store Edition :crying:

crpalmer

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 25, 2011

I would say that what is holding back ROM development is a complete lack of developers...

With my CM11 device tree repos, it should be relatively straight-forward for someone to build other source based ROMs. But, none have appeared.

Then there is the world of ROMs that are based on the stock ROM. We don't have anyone that has stepped up and made the standard debloated ROM. Sadly, that means that there probably aren't any people that know how to do that either.

That said, the hardware is great and I get to piggy-back on a lot of the work that Cyanogen does for the Note 3 which makes some of the hardware support very advanced. FWIW, I'm quite happy with my purchase.

JaylanPHNX

Nov 16, 2010
I would say that what is holding back ROM development is a complete lack of developers...

With my CM11 device tree repos, it should be relatively straight-forward for someone to build other source based ROMs. But, none have appeared.

Then there is the world of ROMs that are based on the stock ROM. We don't have anyone that has stepped up and made the standard debloated ROM. Sadly, that means that there probably aren't any people that know how to do that either.

That said, the hardware is great and I get to piggy-back on a lot of the work that Cyanogen does for the Note 3 which makes some of the hardware support very advanced. FWIW, I'm quite happy with my purchase.

Agreed. I really wish I had the equipment and know-how to use your kernel and device tree and build SlimKat (my ROM of choice). Hopefully more folks will buy this tablet as time goes by, and we'll get some more talent in here. I did have a pm conversation with someone from the Slim team who expressed a little interest in the device, so fingers crossed.

From my Pro Tab 8.4

Dazog

Sep 30, 2009

Any chance your work will be submitted to be an officially supported Cyanogenmod device?

Or is it too much work to be a maintainer for a device.

Thank you so much for your work already.

crpalmer

Mar 25, 2011
Any chance your work will be submitted to be an officially supported Cyanogenmod device?

My goal is to make it official when I have everything working. But, I have to finish it first... I already maintain one device so adding a second wouldn't be that big a deal.

kronikwisdom

Aug 29, 2007
I just couldn't hold out any long. Picked up the black on yesterday and WOW this screen is amazing. I'll be running CM11 from your thread by lunch, and will help to provide feedback over there. thanks!!

djroese33

Feb 22, 2014
Twin Cities, MN
I was wondering why any root/rom discussion seems to only be focused on the 8.4; are there reasons the 10.1 isn't included (I realize less people seem to be getting the bigger tab). Looking to love my 10.1, as the 8.4 is too small for my reading needs. Thanks for any info!

crpalmer

Mar 25, 2011
I was wondering why any root/rom discussion seems to only be focused on the 8.4; are there reasons the 10.1 isn't included (I realize less people seem to be getting the bigger tab). Looking to love my 10.1, as the 8.4 is too small for my reading needs. Thanks for any info!

Two reasons. One, I have a tab pro 8.4... Two, the 8.4 is based on the snapdragon 800 (msm8974) processor which is very well supported on other devices. The 10.1 is an Exynos processor which is not well supported by source built android roms.

Reactions: djroese33

djroese33

Feb 22, 2014
Twin Cities, MN
Two reasons. One, I have a tab pro 8.4... Two, the 8.4 is based on the snapdragon 800 (msm8974) processor which is very well supported on other devices. The 10.1 is an Exynos processor which is not well supported by source built android roms.

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply. Pretty new to Android world, but I loved switching from my iPhone 5 to the Nexus 5 so much, and how easy it was to root, and add Franco and Gravity Box, that I jumped on the 10.1 to replace my iPad Air. Knew Nexus' were known for being easy to root, but didn't know about Samsung's Knox Warranty Killer! But still mostly pleased, and as I despise Apple's $200 for 64gb(- os) policy, love being able to carry around 3000 books, several movies, and 30gb of flac music.

Hopefully it will be safe to root soon.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

My goal is to make it official when I have everything working. But, I have to finish it first... I already maintain one device so adding a second wouldn't be that big a deal.