[Q] Stuck in TWRP Recovery Mode

Search This thread

marcog123

Jul 31, 2008
Hi there!

I just had a go at flashing my new HTC One M8, and I'm stuck in recovery mode.

I followed these instructions:
androidcentral.us/2014/04/root-att-htc-one-m8/

But got the TWRP file from here because the original link was overloaded:
androidfiles.org/?developer=M8&folder=Recoveries

I essentially just ran:
Code:
fastboot-mac erase
cachefastboot-mac
flash boot recovery.img
fastboot-mac reboot
Then installed the SuperSU update zip. Now every time I try reboot into the Android system, it boots into recovery mode. If I boot into the bootloader, I get the option to boot using fastboot but that appears to fail (it returns me to the bootloader after a second). If I select hboot, it says "No image or wrong image!" after trying to load a .nbh file.

Any ideas?

BTW, I got the unlocked version from Amazon: amazon.com/HTC-One-M8-Unlocked-Warranty/dp/B00J3554KE/

LS.xD

Nov 7, 2013
Luebeck
OnePlus 3
Xiaomi 11T Pro
hi there!

I just had a go at flashing my new htc one m8, and i'm stuck in recovery mode.

I followed these instructions:
Androidcentral.us/2014/04/root-att-htc-one-m8/

but got the twrp file from here because the original link was overloaded:
Androidfiles.org/?developer=m8&folder=recoveries

i essentially just ran:
Code:
fastboot-mac erase
cachefastboot-mac
flash boot recovery.img
fastboot-mac reboot
then installed the supersu update zip. Now every time i try reboot into the android system, it boots into recovery mode. If i boot into the bootloader, i get the option to boot using fastboot but that appears to fail (it returns me to the bootloader after a second). If i select hboot, it says "no image or wrong image!" after trying to load a .nbh file.

Any ideas?

Btw, i got the unlocked version from amazon: Amazon.com/htc-one-m8-unlocked-warranty/dp/b00j3554ke/

you flashed recovery to kernel partition! The guide is wrong as i read.

To flash recovery:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

fastboot erase cache

fastboot reboot-bootloader

BUT you will also need to flash the kernel again as you just messed it up!

Last edited:

marcog123

Jul 31, 2008
Ouch! Ok, that sucks that steps I was following were wrong. :/ But at least I feel less like an idiot.

So I found a boot.img from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=51580259 and flashed that. Now I'm not returning to the recovery screen, but to the bootloader always and it gives the same message about wrong image.

Here are the commands I ran:

Code:
./fastboot-mac erase cache
./fastboot-mac flash boot boot.img
./fastboot-mac flash recovery Recovery.img
./fastboot-mac reboot

LS.xD

Nov 7, 2013
Luebeck
OnePlus 3
Xiaomi 11T Pro
Ouch! Ok, that sucks that steps I was following were wrong. :/ But at least I feel less like an idiot.

So I found a boot.img from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=51580259 and flashed that. Now I'm not returning to the recovery screen, but to the bootloader always and it gives the same message about wrong image.

Here are the commands I ran:

Code:
./fastboot-mac erase cache
./fastboot-mac flash boot boot.img
./fastboot-mac flash recovery Recovery.img
./fastboot-mac reboot

can you stil enter fastboot mode?

LS.xD

Nov 7, 2013
Luebeck
OnePlus 3
Xiaomi 11T Pro
Is fastboot mode the one where you see "FASTBOOT USB" in red on top? Cause I can get into that and connect to my phone from my laptop.

Thats good. I'll help you get back working phone.

BUT i need some info:

Please tell me what bootloader is about:

HBoot and so on. Also i need to know if its an "UNLOCKED" phone sold by a carrier. Or a carrier free phone. Because you will need fittig software for each model.

marcog123

Jul 31, 2008
The info on top of the bootloader screen?

Code:
M8_UL_CA PVT SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-3.16.0.0000
RADIO-1.15.2133156.UA03_2G
OpenDSP-v26.2.2-00538-M8974.0106
OS-1.12.1540.17
eMMC-boot 2048MB
Mar 3 2014,20:18:02.0

It's an unlocked (carrier free) phone sold by Amazon: amazon.com/HTC-One-M8-Unlocked-Warranty/dp/B00J3554KE/

LS.xD

Nov 7, 2013
Luebeck
OnePlus 3
Xiaomi 11T Pro
Okay. Will get the right files.

Sent from my beloved HTC One S using (most time buggy) Tapatalk :)

The kernel you flashed is for "SPRINT" m8 and NOT COMPATIBLE to your device. Just don't flash any files as long as you don't know if theyre matching your phone please.

Did you flash the TWRP 2703 version?

Last edited:

LS.xD

Nov 7, 2013
Luebeck
OnePlus 3
Xiaomi 11T Pro
Yes, 2.7.0.3.

Thanks so much for all your help so far! I hugely appreciate how quickly you're jumping on helping me.

can you enter TWRP?

by select "recovery" in bootloader

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

Yes, 2.7.0.3.

Thanks so much for all your help so far! I hugely appreciate how quickly you're jumping on helping me.

can you enter TWRP?

by select "recovery" in bootloader

This kernel may work: http://androidfil.es/1mSt Don't flash it yet.

LS.xD

Nov 7, 2013
Luebeck
OnePlus 3
Xiaomi 11T Pro
Yes, that gets me into TWRP!

Just that you know, that is YOUR phone:

x.xx.1540.x - HTC One U.S. Developer Edition

I'm looking for a stock rom, if that is not possible you will have to use a custom rom :)

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

Have you installed adb on your laptop? BTW are you using a apple mac?

Download this rom please --> LINK

The rom includes stock kerne. Just download it and we'll try to flash just the included kernel file as it should get your device back working.

Otherwise you'll have to flash full rom via twrp.

Please tell me when your download is ready. And this time do yourself a favor and DON'T act on your own as long as you don't know what you're doing...

Last edited:
Reactions: marcog123

wachoforeal

Mar 31, 2015
my htc one is stuck in recovery mode

i have a htc one from verizon ( unlocked) it was upgrading but was taking too long so i disconnect the phone ( big mistake i know) since that i turn on my phone and i got this :
ANDROID SYSTEM RECOVERY <3e>
at botton shows the following:
E:missing bitmap oem_unlock_bg
(code-1)
write host mode success
handle _cota_install: No CW files. Skip cw installation

hope you can help me

LS.xD

Nov 7, 2013
Luebeck
OnePlus 3
Xiaomi 11T Pro
i have a htc one from verizon ( unlocked) it was upgrading but was taking too long so i disconnect the phone ( big mistake i know) since that i turn on my phone and i got this :
ANDROID SYSTEM RECOVERY <3e>
at botton shows the following:
E:missing bitmap oem_unlock_bg
(code-1)
write host mode success
handle _cota_install: No CW files. Skip cw installation

hope you can help me

HTC One M7 or M8 ?

wachoforeal

Mar 31, 2015
i am downloading the software but how do i install?

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

i am downloading the software but how do i install?

i have a problem , i have just downloaded the twrp , but whenever i try to open, its a disc image , that is correct?

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

Phone will be fine again

i have a problem , i have just downloaded the twrp , but whenever i try to open, its a disc image , is that correct?

---------- Post added at 06:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

fella something is wrong , the twrp is a image file its not a program .

Phone will be fine again

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Just that you know, that is YOUR phone:

x.xx.1540.x - HTC One U.S. Developer Edition

I'm looking for a stock rom, if that is not possible you will have to use a custom rom :)

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

Have you installed adb on your laptop? BTW are you using a apple mac?

Download this rom please --> LINK

The rom includes stock kerne. Just download it and we'll try to flash just the included kernel file as it should get your device back working.

Otherwise you'll have to flash full rom via twrp.

Please tell me when your download is ready. And this time do yourself a favor and DON'T act on your own as long as you don't know what you're doing...
    Oh my, thanks so much that worked!! You're awesome! I honestly had a feeling I'd lost my phone.
    those are really bad news , should i take my phone to tech support?

Ask verizon, as you haven't modified the phone and the error occured while updating the original software may be they are accommodating but as its verizon I suppose they're may be not. Just contact the customer support and ask if they will charge for it. If the price is expensive you can check out if a local store offers JTAG repair. Such people can also fix your phone for may be 40-50$

I'm very sorry that I haven't realized earlier verizon locked up the HTC m8