[App] URL Ripper - Expand web links, stay safe from malicious websites

Search This thread

ParitoshBh

Jan 28, 2012
Montreal
Hello!

I first released this app on XDA when I started developing android apps and received some really helpful inputs from community. Now, after a gap of almost 3 years, I am reviving this app with a new vision in mind! It has been written again from scratch.

To ensure existing features don't break (and flex some coding muscles), I have kept the features almost the same and rather focused on UI (material design), performance boost, etc.

attachment.php

In terms of features, as of now the app allows you to:
1. Shorten links using Goo.gl (more will be added soon)
2. "Always On" mode to check all URL's you access (from outside the web browser).
3. Extract (or decrypt) short URL's.

Tip: To turn on "Always On" mode select URL Ripper as your default URL manager (the links will still open in web browser of your choice). This basically allows the app to scan URL's you are visiting from outside the web browser. You can also see the extracted/decrypted link in a dialog box (under Settings)!

Currently URL Ripper supports almost all the link shortening services including popular ones like Goo.gl, Bit.ly, Is.gd, Ow.ly, Tinyurl, Y.ahoo.it, YouTube, etc. Ad-based services like adfly aren't supported.

Link to Play Store - URL Ripper (Google Play Store)

Direct Download Link (Apk - Same as store version) - Version 3.0

I would appreciate if XDA community could again chip in and share their feedback :)

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• marketing_banner.png
    marketing_banner.png
    89.3 KB · Views: 385
  • Screenshot_20160404-175418_framed.jpg
    Screenshot_20160404-175418_framed.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Screenshot_20160404-175618_framed.jpg
    Screenshot_20160404-175618_framed.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Screenshot_20160404-175630_framed.jpg
    Screenshot_20160404-175630_framed.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 92
  • Screenshot_20160404-175722_framed.jpg
    Screenshot_20160404-175722_framed.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

ParitoshBh

Jan 28, 2012
Montreal
Mostly it is just an android wrapper for longurl.org. Demand wasn't quite there and I didn't get any real feedback, so I kinda stopped caring for it. There is one bug I wanted to fix, but I didn't get around to do it yet.

Yeah, saw that in app description. I have a different variation planned though. More of a "complete" solution with caching, sharing, etc. But then again, all of it depends on how well is it accepted and used. Also, just a thought, I didn't want to rely on a single service for link expansion. The service dies and app dies, I don't want this to happen :) P.S: No pun intended. Just my 2 cents.

On a side note, I do like the url catching mechanism from other application :)

Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, saw that in app description. I have a different variation planned though. More of a "complete" solution with caching, sharing, etc. But then again, all of it depends on how well is it accepted and used. Also, just a thought, I didn't want to rely on a single service for link expansion. The service dies and app dies, I don't want this to happen :) P.S: No pun intended. Just my 2 cents.

I absolutely agree. It was just a matter of comfort for me. I didn't want to write queries for all those shortening services API. Especially since some of the smaller ones might not even have an API. Or are you making the request and checking where the return url is leading?
Sharing was a feature I had in mind as well, but I didn't get to it.

If you find something you like, feel free to use it and if you think the source code might help, I will gladly send it to you / share the repo. :)

Reactions: ParitoshBh

ParitoshBh

Jan 28, 2012
Montreal
I absolutely agree. It was just a matter of comfort for me. I didn't want to write queries for all those shortening services API. Especially since some of the smaller ones might not even have an API. Or are you making the request and checking where the return url is leading?

If you find something you like, feel free to use it and if you think the source code might help, I will gladly send it to you / share the repo. :)

You're right. The less popular one's don't have an api or even if they do, the response time is wayward. As of now reliance is on api but I have seen header request works equally well.

Thanks for the offer. I'll keep in mind. Shall ping you if need be :) Appreciate your offer.

ParitoshBh

Jan 28, 2012
Montreal
Maybe this could help you ?
They have the source code, which of course I don't know anything about it because I'm not a developer
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/118033

ad.fly have altered their js code. The script link you shared doesn't work anymore. Appreciate your help nonetheless :)

TO OP:

PLEASE ADD MY URL-SHORTENING SERVICE ! IT'S http://pndk.tk/

:D

As of now, I am trying to implement popular services. Though, the others will be integrated soon enough :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello!

I first released this app on XDA when I started developing android apps and received some really helpful inputs from community. Now, after a gap of almost 3 years, I am reviving this app with a new vision in mind! It has been written again from scratch.

To ensure existing features don't break (and flex some coding muscles), I have kept the features almost the same and rather focused on UI (material design), performance boost, etc.

attachment.php

In terms of features, as of now the app allows you to:
    1. Shorten links using Goo.gl (more will be added soon)
    2. "Always On" mode to check all URL's you access (from outside the web browser).
    3. Extract (or decrypt) short URL's.

Tip: To turn on "Always On" mode select URL Ripper as your default URL manager (the links will still open in web browser of your choice). This basically allows the app to scan URL's you are visiting from outside the web browser. You can also see the extracted/decrypted link in a dialog box (under Settings)!

Currently URL Ripper supports almost all the link shortening services including popular ones like Goo.gl, Bit.ly, Is.gd, Ow.ly, Tinyurl, Y.ahoo.it, YouTube, etc. Ad-based services like adfly aren't supported.

Link to Play Store - URL Ripper (Google Play Store)

Direct Download Link (Apk - Same as store version) - Version 3.0

I would appreciate if XDA community could again chip in and share their feedback :)

Thanks in advance!