[Q] CAMERA crash!

Search This thread

obaid_rock

Mar 12, 2012
ok so i bought Galaxy S4 i9500.. like a week ago.. then i updated my firmware using keis like 2 days ago.. n now my camera crashes.. when not used after a very long time. im not sure is it either the samsung fault or android fault.. my current version is 4.2.2. if u need anymore details.. i will love to provide them!! :D :D

cameracartwright

Dec 15, 2012
ok so i bought Galaxy S4 i9500.. like a week ago.. then i updated my firmware using keis like 2 days ago.. n now my camera crashes.. when not used after a very long time. im not sure is it either the samsung fault or android fault.. my current version is 4.2.2. if u need anymore details.. i will love to provide them!! :D :D

Does it say "warning;camera failed" ? And are you loading the camera from the lock screen or home screen?

X

x102x96x

the easiest way is to flash another firmware (Stock*) by Odin
download anther firmware from sammobile.com
ur setting and data will remain but problem will fix
:good:

gili1234

May 12, 2013
I bought a new samsung galaxy 4s and the camera failed

I had the same problem with my new Galaxy S4 that I bought on 8 of may in 2013.
In the beginning, the camera work fine, but after several minutes, on each time that I tried to open the camera aplication it had black screen with an error message.
I tried to exit the battery and return it, it didn't help.
I tried to rebot to manufacturer settings, at the first couple of minutes the camera work fine, but later the black screen appear again at each time I open the camera application.
Here is a link to youtube that show the same problem that I had :

Search on youtube "samsung galaxy s4 camera fail"

What can I do ?
:(

kenshi1023

Feb 7, 2012
I am having the same problem with my s4; tried system update, factory reset... maybe i need to try to flash my firmware. so disappointed with Samsung. a flagship phone shouldn't have this problem!
to be safe, getting it exchanged... i never bought insurance before but it looks like i might need to if i am sticking with the s4.

cameracartwright

Dec 15, 2012
I had the same problem with my new Galaxy S4 that I bought on 8 of may in 2013.
In the beginning, the camera work fine, but after several minutes, on each time that I tried to open the camera aplication it had black screen with an error message.
I tried to exit the battery and return it, it didn't help.
I tried to rebot to manufacturer settings, at the first couple of minutes the camera work fine, but later the black screen appear again at each time I open the camera application.
Here is a link to youtube that show the same problem that I had :

Search on youtube "samsung galaxy s4 camera fail"

What can I do ?
:(

From today speaking to a guy who repairs samsungs this is a hardware issue. Reboots and factory resets seem to fix the issue but the root of the problem is the the camera module either not correctly attached/or soldered to the connection so when rebooting or resetting the phone the movement of the device in your hand or laying the phone face up briefly re-connects the module to the device. I'm awaiting my new device as my carrier told me a few people have had this issue also.

Hope that helps

WitchMX

Feb 2, 2011
I have taken several pictures with my 2 days old GS4 but in one occasion when I opened the camera and switched from the front camera to the main, the phone froze and reboot it self :/

I hope i only was a one time failure and not hardware or software relate.

Cheers

G-XtremE

Dec 31, 2011
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
There are several other topics created for this issue Slow or reboot when opening camera apps and [Q] Galaxy S4 - reboot launching camera from lockscreen

So far, temporary fixes are limiting the background processes to 4 from the developer options in the settings menu and disabling air view options and smart screen options. This has worked for me, I haven't experienced any other reboots but the lag is still present and sometimes when enabling both cameras feature the app would freeze.

I'm not sure whether this is a hardware or a software issue but nevertheless most GS4s experience lag with the camera app, especially those on the octa version, the GT-I9500. I bought the phone internationally, not using a carrier and switching mine will be a pain; therefore i really hope it's a solvable software issue.

Last edited:

darkjedi

Jun 7, 2005
Denver
This happened to me yesterday. I tried factory resets, going back to stock with Kies, clearing data, but nothing works. I thought it was because of something
I flashed yesterday, but that wasnt it. Sad it happened so quickly and hopefully it can be fixed. :(

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

obaid_rock

Mar 12, 2012
From today speaking to a guy who repairs samsungs this is a hardware issue. Reboots and factory resets seem to fix the issue but the root of the problem is the the camera module either not correctly attached/or soldered to the connection so when rebooting or resetting the phone the movement of the device in your hand or laying the phone face up briefly re-connects the module to the device. I'm awaiting my new device as my carrier told me a few people have had this issue also.

Hope that helps

how reliable is your source? will they fix it in the future.. like in the next batch.. n will they take the first batch back and give us the new models? can u confirm this with him?

cameracartwright

Dec 15, 2012
how reliable is your source? will they fix it in the future.. like in the next batch.. n will they take the first batch back and give us the new models? can u confirm this with him?

He doesn't work for Samsung he just repairs them independently so he is speaking from experience. But I have since asked another independent business and the toldme the same. My problem has now stopped buti believe could be fixed due to my new case on the phone pushing the camera module slightly in place? Who knows but I am replacing incase it happens again (really don't wanna be lumbered with an s4 with a broken camera)

G-XtremE

Dec 31, 2011
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
He doesn't work for Samsung he just repairs them independently so he is speaking from experience. But I have since asked another independent business and the toldme the same. My problem has now stopped buti believe could be fixed due to my new case on the phone pushing the camera module slightly in place? Who knows but I am replacing incase it happens again (really don't wanna be lumbered with an s4 with a broken camera)

Were you receiving any warning messages?. As I dug into this problem I've found there are 2 error types. In the 1st scenario the camera would crash and a message would be displayed. The 2nd one, would just turn the screen black after accessing the camera app and after a few seconds the phone would reboot.

If a message is displayed then it's most likely a hardware issue. If the phone restarts without warnings then disabling air gesture options and smart screen options along with disabling a few samsung apps temporary solved the matter, therefore being a software misbehave. It's not a permanent solution but until sammy releases a patch this could be a small fix.

obaid_rock

Mar 12, 2012
Were you receiving any warning messages?. As I dug into this problem I've found there are 2 error types. In the 1st scenario the camera would crash and a message would be displayed. The 2nd one, would just turn the screen black after accessing the camera app and after a few seconds the phone would reboot.

If a message is displayed then it's most likely a hardware issue. If the phone restarts without warnings then disabling air gesture options and smart screen options along with disabling a few samsung apps temporary solved the matter, therefore being a software misbehave. It's not a permanent solution but until sammy releases a patch this could be a small fix.

No error message for me.. It justs reboots for me.. Btw what's the expected battery life?

darkjedi

Jun 7, 2005
Denver

I have the first scenario. What would actually cause this? Flashing wouldn't cause it, would it?

cameracartwright

Dec 15, 2012

Mine did both loaded camera app then black screen with message after a few seconds "warning:camera failed" then one time the phone didn't reboot it simply froze until I force restarted it. I'm getting replacement tomorrow evening as I use my camera a lot when I don't have a dedicated camera with me

darkjedi

Jun 7, 2005
Denver
Mine did both loaded camera app then black screen with message after a few seconds "warning:camera failed" then one time the phone didn't reboot it simply froze until I force restarted it. I'm getting replacement tomorrow evening as I use my camera a lot when I don't have a dedicated camera with me
Yup, I have that exact thing. Unfortunately, T-Mobile US doesn't have the S4 as part of their replacement "plan" yet. I'll have to check back later. :(