[Q] LGSystemServer stopped/shutdown, help!

Search This thread

Wolkenstern

Sep 6, 2013
So I got this message again after rebooting my device. It's writen in german and says something like:
"We are sorry! The Application LGSystemServer has been closed".

After the error I can't do anything. It's reappearing so fast after clicking "ok", that I can't get into the settings or past the lock screen. Only a factory reset helps.

I'm still running stock android, no changes so far (root etc.). Had this problem with 2-3 GPads Devices before and exchanged them. But the problem still continues, so I think it's an app or settings problem.

After a factory reset I can restart normally for a while. I download my apps and change my settings. Then I don't reboot like for 1-2 weeks and get the problem again.
Before I try rebooting, I make sure I have a backup that I can restore. Had to use it today and restored. And no problem after same apps & settings from the backup. So far, but it will appear again, after a while I think.

Does anyone have a similiar problem or knows what the problem could be :confused:

jaan103

May 20, 2008
So I got this message again after rebooting my device. It's writen in german and says something like:

Does anyone have a similiar problem or knows what the problem could be :confused:

I have the same problem on my G-Pad. Wiped cache and dalvik, no help. Full wipe fixes the problem. I used also TWRP for full backup. Restoring the backup brings also the problem back.

Weird problem. Certainly software related.

Sylvia

Jan 7, 2007
Berlin
I have the same problem on my G-Pad. Wiped cache and dalvik, no help. Full wipe fixes the problem. I used also TWRP for full backup. Restoring the backup brings also the problem back.

Weird problem. Certainly software related.

I have my device since Monday. I deleted some bloatware (after Root), and I had the same problem.

I found the solution in: [HOW-TO] The easiest way to unbrick your LG G Pad 8.3

It took about one hour and the problem has gone.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Wolkenstern

Sep 6, 2013
@Sylvia
Did the problem reappear after the installation? I had the problem a couple of times, appearing days after a factory reset.
Thought it was my Samsung 32GB MicroSD that was causing the problem. Because my sister had the same problem after we inserted the same microsd into her G Pad. In here case a factory reset did it and the probleme never occured again.

Right know I'm testing and writing down, every little change I do. To find the problem trigger. Maybe it is a coincidence, but I also did the "Update Recovery" with the LGMobile Tool yesterday. When the problem appeared, because I read it could help that way. It was still there after rebooting, so I did a factory reset like always. After that I tested after every major change. Did so far 18 Reboots and no problem.

I really hope that the software installed on the G Pad was causing the problem so far. To make sure, I formated the MicroSD card to exfat3 and then back to fat32 under Xubuntu-Live CD with GParted.

Another thought was with the constant writing/reading of my lecture note files every 2 min. of autosave, that are stored on the MicroSD card. And the index search every hour over the 9000 files by DropSync.

I really hope that was the solution.

namagile

Apr 9, 2011
Interesting coincidence

Interestingly, I have a same problem and same issue. I am using DropSync and LectureNote. Before I receive the same message, I always see a message in LectureNote saying "out of memory" or at least using LectureNote. I think it may be related with LectureNote. I am going to try with autosaving function deactivated.

If it continues, I may remove LectureNote from G Pad and observe how it goes.

@Sylvia
Did the problem reappear after the installation? I had the problem a couple of times, appearing days after a factory reset.
Thought it was my Samsung 32GB MicroSD that was causing the problem. Because my sister had the same problem after we inserted the same microsd into her G Pad. In here case a factory reset did it and the probleme never occured again.

Right know I'm testing and writing down, every little change I do. To find the problem trigger. Maybe it is a coincidence, but I also did the "Update Recovery" with the LGMobile Tool yesterday. When the problem appeared, because I read it could help that way. It was still there after rebooting, so I did a factory reset like always. After that I tested after every major change. Did so far 18 Reboots and no problem.

I really hope that the software installed on the G Pad was causing the problem so far. To make sure, I formated the MicroSD card to exfat3 and then back to fat32 under Xubuntu-Live CD with GParted.

Another thought was with the constant writing/reading of my lecture note files every 2 min. of autosave, that are stored on the MicroSD card. And the index search every hour over the 9000 files by DropSync.

I really hope that was the solution.

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
@namagile: Coincidence does not imply causality. The problem that you observe might surface by using LectureNotes, but this does not necessarily mean that LectureNotes is causing it.

I received a couple of similar reports, and in one case, the user sent the device logs to me. There were entries in the logs that a system service failed to start another system service, causing this error message that you see; why that tends to happen after LectureNotes usage is not clear. The user admitted that she/he deleted system software after rooting the device, which might be tempting but can lead to problems in case you delete the wrong things.

namagile

Apr 9, 2011
@acadoid,

I love LectureNote. I don't know/care how it happens, but every time my LG G pad crashed, LectureNote was being used and showed a strange behavior. Now, I deactivated 'auto-saving' and other options coming with a warning message "not to use if RAM is not big". We see how it goes. I hope/believe this may resolve an issue.

One tip for LectureNote. There are so many options available for a user to set -- please simplify and hide some of the options from a ordinary user like myself. It will be less intimidating to new users. Thanks.

@namagile: Coincidence does not imply causality. The problem that you observe might surface by using LectureNotes, but this does not necessarily mean that LectureNotes is causing it.

I received a couple of similar reports, and in one case, the user sent the device logs to me. There were entries in the logs that a system service failed to start another system service, causing this error message that you see; why that tends to happen after LectureNotes usage is not clear. The user admitted that she/he deleted system software after rooting the device, which might be tempting but can lead to problems in case you delete the wrong things.

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
@namagile: The options are certainly not to intimidate users but to empower them. All options have meaningful default values chosen such that LectureNotes works on essentially all Android devices without touching the settings.

But this is not the topic of this thread.

gergely.szirmai

Mar 19, 2014

After the error I can't do anything. It's reappearing so fast after clicking "ok", that I can't get into the settings or past the lock screen. Only a factory reset helps.

I'm still running stock android, no changes so far (root etc.). Had this problem with 2-3 GPads Devices before and exchanged them. But the problem still continues, so I think it's an app or settings problem.

After a factory reset I can restart normally for a while. I download my apps and change my settings. Then I don't reboot like for 1-2 weeks and get the problem again.
Before I try rebooting, I make sure I have a backup that I can restore. Had to use it today and restored. And no problem after same apps & settings from the backup. So far, but it will appear again, after a while I think.

I have a 8.3 gpad and have the same problem. Now it recurred for the third time. The problem might be indeed with LectureNotes conflicting somehow with LG software. My device is NOT rooted. For the first two times I had no external SD card, now I have one. I was not using Dropsync earlier either.

I would be happy to do some testing and experimenting.

It would be good to know, if I remove or change some file somewhere, can it bring the device back to life without a factory reset?

Wolkenstern

Sep 6, 2013
I had the problem even before using DropSync. I reinstalled the stock rom using the LG Mobile Tool and then did a factory reset.
No problems so far. Even after installing all apps and configuring them. Then I uploaded about 500 Lecture Notes files using DropSync. Even the next day I did a reboot everything was fine.
I didn't use LectureNotes ones after the new installation. And didn't delete anything that was pre-installed (wallpapers, google apps etc.). (It was said to be a problem conflicting there)
So yesterday I used LectureNotes about 1 1/2 h non stop. Saved about 3-4 times and then closed it. Used DropSync and uploaded the new files to my Dropbox account.
Then didn't use the tablet until the next morning. I tried a normal reboot (using the Power-Off Button (Shut down and reboot), to test and BAM the usuall error message occured again.

Thank god the backup I did before was bug-free and I could flash it back.

So now I'm testing what in LectureNotes could be triggering this error after a reboot is done.
My ideas so far that I will test:
- Automatic Saving Option off
- A few different settings in the app (Triggering back to Default)
- not using DropSync for a while, to test if that was maybe a part of the problem.
- Using a different ROM, maybe the problem is just with the LG Stock rom? (But that will be the very last option I will try)
- Trying to clear cache after using LectureNotes (The Cache is never saved in my backup, so never restored back. Maybe there is sth. saved, that doesn't restart after a reboot.)

What I tested so far:
- The Problem didn't occur 2 times when I used LectureNotes < 1 h.
- The App location doesn't matter for the Problem. Had the App first time on the external SD Card (storage/externalSD/LectureNotes), then on the internal (storage/emulated/0/LectureNotes).
- Tested other apps longer than > 1 and no Problem was there.

If I could anaylse the log file, I gladly would, but I don't know how to. (Read sth. about LogCat?)

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
@Wolkenstern: There are several apps in Google Play and other app stores (search for `logcat´) that can read the log files. However, a better way is to connect your device via USB to a `normal´ computer and use `adb´, `logcat´ or similar tools to read the logs.

Wolkenstern

Sep 6, 2013
@Wolkenstern: There are several apps in Google Play and other app stores (search for `logcat´) that can read the log files. However, a better way is to connect your device via USB to a `normal´ computer and use `adb´, `logcat´ or similar tools to read the logs.

I installed the catlog app on the tablet, because I can read it in a better ui for now.
I will try to use adb logcat with my computer, when I use LectureNotes at home. (Watched a tutorial)

Step 1: But will it also still continue writing if I reboot the devise? Critical for the error message, that keeps appearing.

Step 2: If I have the log and filter Errors and Terrible Failure, what do I do with them? I don't think I can analyse them, even though I have Java Programming Expierence, but I'm a newbie with programming android apps.

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
@Wolkenstern: What to look for is difficult to say, even warnings can contain important information in this case.

The advantage of the variant with USB cable is that it continues to display logs during a reboot.

Wolkenstern

Sep 6, 2013
@acadoid: I think I need to combine them. Because I get this little lag with my stylus (GoSmart), when it is connected with the usb.
And then I have broken letters. So I'm running the logcat while using lecture notes and then switching to the adb logcat on my computer, if I'm testing the reboot after.

namagile

Apr 9, 2011
LectureNote's function crashes LG G pad -- requiring Factory reset!!

Hi, I used Penutimum and Papylus before. Now I moved to LectureNote, but found a serious error. I use LG G pad 8.3, one of latest tablets. Whenever I use the function of 'cut' and 'paste' of my drawing on the note, it says 'Out of momery. Trouble ahead'. And the LG system server is down. I have to do factory reset, reinstalling everything. The tablet is otherwise working well. Acanoid, can you please help on resolving this issue? Otherwise, I wasted my money on this app as it is not usable.

I intentionally tried to confirm that LectureNote's "cut and paste" caused the crash. If this problem does not get resolved, I am going to ask for a full refund. The money is not what matters. I spent my precious tens of hours due to this critical error. I hope Acanoid team can resolve the issue.

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
@namagile: Which notebook page width and height do you use? Have you enabled `large page cache´ in the app's storage settings?

If you directly see an `out of memory´ message, then disable `large page cache´ in the app's storage settings, and if this option is already disabled, use a smaller notebook page width and height.

Wolkenstern

Sep 6, 2013
So I tested now for about 2 1/2 hours, rebooted and had the problem again.
After looking in the log after the reboot, there is always this error after the "Fatal Exception: Main" -> "03-23 23:09:23.606 E/AndroidRuntime( 1144): java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to create service com.lge.systemservice.service.CliptrayService: java.lang.NullPointerException"
Then there is a loop etc.
That was just a quick look, I will try to look over the other one before the reboot tomorrow.

namagile

Apr 9, 2011
I already tried the suggested option

HI, I already tried the small page cache. It did not make any difference. I have not tried the smaller notebook page width and height, but that is a big pain. Every time I create, I have to adjust the page size. In the end, LG G Pad is a new tablet with decent specs with 2 gb ram. I don't understand that even a tablet of this specs cannot handle one app. It means that the app is not built well considering the specs of a tablet.

@namagile: Which notebook page width and height do you use? Have you enabled `large page cache´ in the app's storage settings?

If you directly see an `out of memory´ message, then disable `large page cache´ in the app's storage settings, and if this option is already disabled, use a smaller notebook page width and height.

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
@Wolkenstern & namagile: The fact that the device has 2GB RAM does not mean much. LectureNotes requests what is called `large heap´ (indicating that it needs more RAM than `normal´ apps), this results usually in an upper limit of 256MB or 512MB, dependent on device. However, there are devices for which the limit is as low as 64MB, which is usually not enough for LectureNotes.

It would constitute a serve security flaw in Android if an app could crash a device. Even if an app starts to allocate memory as crazy, it will not receive any new memory once it hits the upper limit; if it does not cooperate with Android UI, it will get halted after 5 seconds; etc.

I do not own a LG G Pad and hence I cannot investigate this problem myself. The fact that you observe a null pointer exception in a LG system service (com.lge.systemservice.service.CliptrayService) suggest a severe bug in this system service.

One possibility why the problem occurs when using LectureNotes might be that LectureNotes supports Android's clipboard protocol (not many apps do that). However, even if LectureNotes was using Android's clipboard protocol wrongly (which it does not!), it should not result in a device crash, the worst scenario is that LectureNotes crashes.

Wolkenstern

Sep 6, 2013
I do not own a LG G Pad and hence I cannot investigate this problem myself. The fact that you observe a null pointer exception in a LG system service (com.lge.systemservice.service.CliptrayService) suggest a severe bug in this system service.

One possibility why the problem occurs when using LectureNotes might be that LectureNotes supports Android's clipboard protocol (not many apps do that). However, even if LectureNotes was using Android's clipboard protocol wrongly (which it does not!), it should not result in a device crash, the worst scenario is that LectureNotes crashes.

Ok, if that really were the problem, than the only way to solve it, is to wait for an update from LG.
I saw a leak of the .tot file of the official V500 Stock 4.4.2 here on XDA. So maybe Kitkat is on it's way although we possibly have to wait weeks again for it.
Or to Flash another Custom Rom.

I will test a few things, with this new input. Worst Case I have to flash my backup daily, but it takes only 3 min.