3G and H Icon

Search This thread

trice1921

Sep 3, 2008
Up until yesterday i was nearly always getting then H (hsdpa) icon on my Hero. Now im getting the 3G icon. But when i use an app that required the data connection it changed to H. It's annoying because it takes around 5-10 seconds to change and while its changing the app doesnt seem to have any data connection.

Does anyone else experience this? And can anyone tell me why up until yesterday it was always H and now only goes to H when the data connection is needed? I haven't changed any settings or installed anything in the past few days.

joemax

Jun 24, 2008
South Shropshire
It may just be your providers local cell tower that is having issues rather than the Hero. Drop them a call first to see if there are any reported problems.

trice1921

Sep 3, 2008
According to my provider theirs no issues in my area.

I just dont understand how mine can change from always being a H to being 3G changing to H when i use data. It's really annoying because when i open browser it takes around 10 seconds for the 3G to change to H and in that time no pages load. Then if i stay on one page for a while and move to another the H has gone back to 3G so takes another 10 seconds to change.

Could anyone who gets the H symbol please do me a favour? When you wake your phone from sleep is the H symbol always showing or is it sometimes 3G changing to H when you use any app that requires data?

Thanks

disssko

Aug 20, 2009
Espoo
I think my H icon works as it should here in Finland. H is shown only when some data is being transferred, hence it is not always being displayed when I wake the screen. Sometimes it is shown, but I think then some widget or FB integration or something like that is being updated / synchronized.

I really feel that this is correct behavior, HSPA would suck your battery dry quite fast if it would be always on.

trice1921

Sep 3, 2008
I think my H icon works as it should here in Finland. H is shown only when some data is being transferred, hence it is not always being displayed when I wake the screen. Sometimes it is shown, but I think then some widget or FB integration or something like that is being updated / synchronized.

I really feel that this is correct behavior, HSPA would suck your battery dry quite fast if it would be always on.

I think your right with it being the correct behaviour. Even though it takes an extra few seconds to start the connection when browsing etc it does seem that my battery is lasting longer. Now if i could just find a way of getting it to display 3G instead of H when away from my house.

disssko

Aug 20, 2009
Espoo
Now if i could just find a way of getting it to display 3G instead of H when away from my house.

I think there's no way of crippling the HSPA functionality of the phone, phone makes the selection of using HSPA (or not) based on network's decision (decided on coverage & various measurements) and capability.